Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I get the sense that Wally is being pressured from above to make a decision to appease season ticket holders who are balking at renewing, so in a sense it's fans who are pressuring the team to move quickly. I renewed my tickets today so I can wait but Tuesday's 5 p.m. renewal deadline looms over this whole process.
Very plausible rational for moving fast.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It does seem to be approaching the finish line according to this from LU:

Ullrich: Buono poised to hire Jeff Tedford as Lions coach
The opportunity to replace Mike Benevides, a head coach who had no prior experience at the position when he got the job in 2012, with a relative greybeard in Jeff Tedford appears as if it is too tempting for B.C. Lions general manager Wally Buono.

The recent departure by Tedford from his brief fling as offensive co-ordinator of the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers has shifted the coaching search rapidly in the direction of the 53-year-old former CFL quarterback. What was once seen as a protracted process has accelerated to where Tedford was making the rounds at the club’s facility in Surrey and a news conference is expected to be called sometime this week to name him as Benevides’ replacement.

Buono was chasing candidates along traditional CFL bloodlines upon firing Benevides until Tedford became available, and doesn’t appear to be concerned a prospective new coach has health issues similar to his own.

Tedford joined the Bucs Jan. 1 after spending 11 seasons as head coach at the University of California, but was released from his Tampa Bay contract Dec. 5 without working in a regular season game.

Tedford had two stents placed in an artery near his heart six days before the regular season. Buono has had heart issues himself.

The Lions’ interest in Tedford was almost immediate once Buono became aware from a reporter that he had severed his NFL ties. According to a source, Buono had made inquiries about Hamilton assistant Orlondo Steinauer and had talks with former Lions quarterback Danny Barrett and TSN analyst Paul LaPolice.

Jeff Garcia, who is being replaced by Anthony Calvillo on the coaching staff of the Montreal Alouettes, reportedly told the Lions he was only interested in the head job and not a possible offensive co-ordinator opening.

Tedford and Buono, meantime, go back several decades, having coached together for three seasons, starting in 1989 with the Calgary Stampeders. It was Tedford and Calgary coach John Hufnagel who devised the six-receiver offensive scheme which eventually became commonplace in three-down football.

Tedford may now soon get a chance to purrfect the package. CKWX reported that he had dinner Sunday night with Buono and Lions defensive co-ordinator Mark Washington. Tedford met staffers at the team’s facility Monday, including U.S. scouting director Ryan Rigmaiden, prior to another dinner meeting with other assistant coaches.

But a coaching contract for Tedford won’t come cheap. His agent only last week was trying to land him the now-filled vacancy at Oregon State that was worth $1.06 million US last season.

That’s not only more than double the salary of any coach in the CFL, it doesn’t even come close to matching Tedford’s salary at California. In 2012 he earned $2.44 million, before he became eligible for a maximum $5.5 million termination settlement.

It’s also why the finer points of a Lions contract may not get sewn together instantly, though Tedford will spend some time Tuesday looking at the Lower Mainland from a real estate perspective, according to a source.

But the erosion that has taken place within the fan base of the Lions is such that owner David Braley is aware his team needs to make a splash.

It appears as if the coaching search promised by Buono to change the culture of the organization could start by reaching out to an old friend.
1040 is speculating that a hiring could be announced within 24hrs.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:It does seem to be approaching the finish line according to this from LU:
Thanks for posting, sj.

From Lowell Ullrich, as posted by sj.
... a news conference is expected to be called sometime this week to name him as Benevides’ replacement. -- LU
That sounds imminent.
Buono was chasing candidates along traditional CFL bloodlines upon firing Benevides until Tedford became available, and doesn’t appear to be concerned a prospective new coach has health issues similar to his own. -- LU
I expect they had some conversations about health.
... prior to another dinner meeting with other assistant coaches. -- LU
Dinner meeting with other assistant coaches. Hmmm ... Might be tough to let those guys go, after meeting them. Ayyyyahhh. We will see who is back with the team, soon enough, it seems.
But a coaching contract for Tedford won’t come cheap. His agent only last week was trying to land him the now-filled vacancy at Oregon State that was worth $1.06 million US last season. -- LU
Money might not be much of an object at this point. Looking for job satisfaction.
It’s also why the finer points of a Lions contract may not get sewn together instantly, though Tedford will spend some time Tuesday looking at the Lower Mainland from a real estate perspective, according to a source. -- LU
Yeahhhhh ... That might be a selling point.
But the erosion that has taken place within the fan base of the Lions is such that owner David Braley is aware his team needs to make a splash. -- LU
Braley wants to sell the club. He might be raising the bar for HC salaries in the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:I get the sense that Wally is being pressured from above to make a decision to appease season ticket holders who are balking at renewing, so in a sense it's fans who are pressuring the team to move quickly. I renewed my tickets today so I can wait but Tuesday's 5 p.m. renewal deadline looms over this whole process.
With all due respect to season ticket holders, of which I'm one who has already renewed, that shouldn't be a reason for moving fast. The reasons I see for getting someone in place as quickly as this week surround the processes and activities that must take place subsequent to that decision. There's a ton of work to be done in the offseason, even more so when the first act of business is to hire a new HC. With that void to be filled BC is already running 3 weeks behind the rest of the CFL making decisions on supporting coaching staff and starting the process of player assessment to determine offseason recruiting needs. Never mind ST renewal push I think it's critical to get this first step done now strictly for football operations purposes. I mean how many ST holders' ST renewal decision is hinging on who the new HC is? Everybody knows Benevides is gone an it's all but a foregone conclusion that the new hire will be from outside the organization and it won't be the obvious fan favourite Dave Dickenson. I think in general that's good enough for most. Is there going to be a contingent that gets up in arms if Tedford is hired instead of say LaPolice or vice versa?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
It’s also why the finer points of a Lions contract may not get sewn together instantly, though Tedford will spend some time Tuesday looking at the Lower Mainland from a real estate perspective, according to a source.
Selling point? Holy crap. Lower mainland real estate prices might scare him off.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Selling point? Holy crap. Lower mainland real estate prices might scare him off.
LOL ... He might be able to afford those prices, Hambone.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

Why is Tedford having dinner with Buono......and Mark Washington, an assistant coach..if Buono said the new HC could chose his own coaching staff.

I wrote much earlier this week, in a post on Lionbackers, that Wally would want Washington to be part of the staff of the new regime.

Doesn't sound as if Tedford will get the choice of choosing his own defensive coordinator. Actions speak louder than words and Buono having Washington as part of the interview process certainly provides optics that Buono is still making decisions that should be the perogative of the new HC.

Of course, I anticipate that there could be someone who says that Washington was just there to answer any questions that Tedord might have..... :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

It's a fun read over at RF tonight. Strong rumblings thanks to a Matt Sekeres tweet late this afternoon are that Chapball is about to move to the rectangular province. Needless to say the inmates in the RF.com asylum are not happy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-on-verge-of-nam ... h-1.160916
Lions on verge of naming Tedford next head coach

Matthew Sekeres, TSN Radio 1040

The B.C. Lions are on the verge of hiring their next head coach, who comes with impressive credentials and familiarity with boss Wally Buono.
Jeff Tedford, a former Canadian Football League assistant under Buono's Calgary Stampeders in the early-1990s, was in Vancouver this week and toured the Lions facility. The 53-year-old was most recently the offensive coordinator of the National Football League's Tampa Bay Buccaneers before resigning earlier this month because of health concerns.

Tedford had dinner with Lions defensive coordinator Mark Washington Sunday night and was scheduled to meet with Lions president Dennis Skulsky on Tuesday. Sources said Tedford was in line to be the highest paid head coach in the CFL, commanding a salary of $500,000 or more to return to the league after 20-plus years in the U.S. ranks, should he agree to terms.

Tedford, who spent six years playing quarterback for four CFL franchises in the 1980s, could still have coaching options in the U.S. He resurrected the University of California-Berkely program last decade, developing players such as Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, and wide receiver DeSean Jackson of Washington.

In fact, since leaving the CFL in 1991, Tedford has worked with six collegiate quarterbacks who went on to becomes first-round draft picks in the NFL: Rodgers, Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller. He is known as brilliant offensive coach who, until recently, was unattainable to CFL suitors based on the salary he could command in the NCAA or NFL ranks.

But earlier this season, Tedford took leave of the Buccaneers for a heart procedure and parted ways with the club on Dec. 5. Several sources said that the health scare, years of earning top dollar at California, and the desire for a slower-paced coaching life made him available to Buono's Lions.

Buono, B.C.'s general manager and vice-president of football operations, employed Tedford and Stampeders general manager/head coach John Hufnagel as offensive assistants early in his Calgary coaching tenure. Tedford's wife Donna is from Alberta.

Tedford emerged as the leading candidate to replace deposed head coach Mike Benevides last week, when he agreed to meet with Buono. If negotiations go well, he could be introduced as the next head coach later this week, however, it is still possible that U.S. options remain.

Buono said that he was looking for "fresh" ideas in his next head coach, particularly a coach who could liven up a drab offence. Tedford also has history with former Saskatchewan Roughriders offensive coordinator George Cortez, who was recently dismissed. Cortez served as Tedford's offensive coordinator at Cal.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:It's a fun read over at RF tonight. Strong rumblings thanks to a Matt Sekeres tweet late this afternoon are that Chapball is about to move to the rectangular province. Needless to say the inmates in the RF.com asylum are not happy.
Its a fun place to read stuff. Quite the range in diversity of opinions too. Some lunkheads but most seem reasonable even though they have a green tint on much that they see, whereas I see things through an orange tint....

They were talking about Joseph returning long before the Riders even approached him. Lucky guess, probably.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Montreal has confirmed that QB coach Jeff Garcia won't be returning to the Als. Anthony Calvillo will join the Montreal staff as an assistant coach of some sort.
Calvillo would be the logical candidate for the vacant quarterback coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Why is Tedford having dinner with Buono......and Mark Washington, an assistant coach..if Buono said the new HC could chose his own coaching staff.

I wrote much earlier this week, in a post on Lionbackers, that Wally would want Washington to be part of the staff of the new regime.

Doesn't sound as if Tedford will get the choice of choosing his own defensive coordinator. Actions speak louder than words and Buono having Washington as part of the interview process certainly provides optics that Buono is still making decisions that should be the perogative of the new HC.

Of course, I anticipate that there could be someone who says that Washington was just there to answer any questions that Tedord might have..... :wink:
I too am somewhat surprised that Washington was at dinner. One would expect Buono, Tedford or perhaps the owner David Braley.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I am a long time season ticket holder. Unlike previous seasons I have decided not to renew by tomorrow's deadline. I told Dennis Skulsky the Lions have to give me some reasons for renewing. I'm happy they fired Benevides. They need to make more changes going forward. Hiring Jeff Tedford (if reports are true) is not enough for me. I need to see what changes are made to the coaching staff.
Blitz
Team Captain

From TSN

Lions on verge of naming Tedford next head coach
Matthew Sekeres, TSN Radio 1040

The B.C. Lions are on the verge of hiring their next head coach, who comes with impressive credentials and familiarity with boss Wally Buono.

Jeff Tedford, a former Canadian Football League assistant under Buono's Calgary Stampeders in the early-1990s, was in Vancouver this week and toured the Lions facility. The 53-year-old was most recently the offensive coordinator of the National Football League's Tampa Bay Buccaneers before resigning earlier this month because of health concerns.

Tedford had dinner with Lions defensive coordinator Mark Washington Sunday night and was scheduled to meet with Lions president Dennis Skulsky on Tuesday. Sources said Tedford was in line to be the highest paid head coach in the CFL, commanding a salary of $500,000 or more to return to the league after 20-plus years in the U.S. ranks, should he agree to terms.

Tedford, who spent six years playing quarterback for four CFL franchises in the 1980s, could still have coaching options in the U.S. He resurrected the University of California-Berkely program last decade, developing players such as Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, and wide receiver DeSean Jackson of Washington.

In fact, since leaving the CFL in 1991, Tedford has worked with six collegiate quarterbacks who went on to becomes first-round draft picks in the NFL: Rodgers, Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller. He is known as brilliant offensive coach who, until recently, was unattainable to CFL suitors based on the salary he could command in the NCAA or NFL ranks.

But earlier this season, Tedford took leave of the Buccaneers for a heart procedure and parted ways with the club on Dec. 5. Several sources said that the health scare, years of earning top dollar at California, and the desire for a slower-paced coaching life made him available to Buono's Lions.

Buono, B.C.'s general manager and vice-president of football operations, employed Tedford and Stampeders general manager/head coach John Hufnagel as offensive assistants early in his Calgary coaching tenure. Tedford's wife Donna is from Alberta.

Tedford emerged as the leading candidate to replace deposed head coach Mike Benevides last week, when he agreed to meet with Buono. If negotiations go well, he could be introduced as the next head coach later this week, however, it is still possible that U.S. options remain.

Buono said that he was looking for "fresh" ideas in his next head coach, particularly a coach who could liven up a drab offence. Tedford also has history with former Saskatchewan Roughriders offensive coordinator George Cortez, who was recently dismissed. Cortez served as Tedford's offensive coordinator at Cal.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope that the Lions hire Tedford but I won't make a decision on renewing my 3-pak until I hear that Dorazio is no longer a Lions coach as I will not pay money to watch his over complicated O line blocking schemes.

I hope Washington stays as DC as I expect he now he realizes that he needs to create a more balanced D that can stop the run and pressure the QB and not just play "Prevent" pass defence.
Last edited by DanoT on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.