Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

What are some possible names out in the CFL that might be options.

Any thoughts on Travis Moore?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

From Arash Madani:

Per #CFL sources: #BCLions leaning toward hiring Jeff Tedford as head coach. Former Cal coach/CFL QB worked with Buono in Calgary in 90s.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Not an expansive search if this is correct. He only fired Benevides what 2 weeks ago. Surely he can't be that far along in the search process yet?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:From Arash Madani:

Per #CFL sources: #BCLions leaning toward hiring Jeff Tedford as head coach. Former Cal coach/CFL QB worked with Buono in Calgary in 90s.
Jeff Tedford.

He has some serious credentials. CFL experience as a player and coach.

If we got him, that would be a very nice Christmas present.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Not an expansive search if this is correct. He only fired Benevides what 2 weeks ago. Surely he can't be that far along in the search process yet?
Listen. There's a Hawaiian vacation to get to.

In all seriousness, how long do you want him to take, exactly. Do you want to wait until the NFL season is over in January? After US college coaches are done with their bowl games?

Dickenson said no.
Hamilton refused us permission to talk to Steinhauer.

Those are the two inquires we know of, and we already speculated on here how thin the pool was to begin with.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tedford's quarterbacks[edit]

Tedford is known as a groomer of quarterbacks.[14] Two of his pupils have achieved the highest success in the NFL: Super Bowl champions Trent Dilfer and Aaron Rodgers. Dilfer won Super Bowl XXXV with the Baltimore Ravens. Rodgers passed for over 4,000 yards in his first two full-time seasons after waiting on the bench behind Brett Favre for three seasons and led the Green Bay Packers to a championship in Super Bowl XLV. Rodgers was selected to his first Pro Bowl in 2009.

Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, David Carr, and Kyle Boller also had outstanding college careers and were first round picks in the NFL draft. However, Tedford failed to develop a star quarterback at Cal after Rodgers left following the 2004 season.[14]

Tedford coached each of the following first round NFL draft picks at the quarterback position:
Fresno State Trent Dilfer 6th overall 1994, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
David Carr 1st overall 2002, Houston Texans

Oregon Akili Smith 3rd overall 1999, Cincinnati Bengals
Joey Harrington 3rd overall 2002, Detroit Lions

California Kyle Boller 19th overall 2003, Baltimore Ravens
Aaron Rodgers 24th overall 2005, Green Bay Packers

Tedford also coached Billy Volek, a backup quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, and A.J. Feeley, a backup quarterback for the St. Louis Rams. -- Wikipedia
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jeff Tedford.

Blitz
Team Captain

Tedford was paid 1.5 million base salary in California and was paid 1.8 million in his last season there.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

If we can get Tedford I would take him. He has CFL playing and coaching experience, he has offensive coordinator and HC college experience with big football programs, he is a quarterback developer, and he was good enough to be hired as an offensive coordinator in the NFL with Tampa Bay.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/li ... ead-coach/

Lions leaning toward hiring Tedford as head coach

Jeff Tedford. (Will Vragovic/The Tampa Bay Times/AP)

December 11, 2014, 9:08 PM

Wally Buono may be going back in time to find the coach of the future for the B.C. Lions.

League sources tell Sportsnet that the Lions are leaning toward hiring Jeff Tedford, the former CFL quarterback who groomed Aaron Rodgers in college while head coach of the California Golden Bears, as the next head coach of the Lions.

The 53-year-old Tedford worked with, and for, Buono on the Calgary Stampeders coaching staff between 1989 and 1991 when he was entering the coaching ranks.

It has been a whirlwind two years for Tedford after he was fired by Cal in 2012 — after 11 seasons running the program. He was out of coaching in 2013, was hired in January of this year by Lovie Smith to run Tampa Bay’s offence, left the team in the summer because of heart issues that ultimately led to him to sitting out the season. He was released from his Buccaneers contract on Dec. 5.

That move by Tampa last week freed Tedford to explore other opportunities, which sources say fully opened conversations between he and Buono. The Lions have been searching for a head coach since parting ways with Mike Benevides on Nov. 20 after B.C.’s 50-17 playoff loss to Montreal.

Tedford has an impressive football coaching resume, having worked as an assistant coach and coordinator with Fresno State and Oregon before landing the Cal head coaching job in 1992. It’s his work with quarterbacks, in particular, that has made him such a sought-after coaching candidate over the past 25 years.

Two of Tedford’s quarterbacks at Fresno State became first-round NFL draft choices (Trent Dilfer, sixth overall, 1994), including David Carr, who in 2002 was the No. 1 overall pick of the Houston Texans. A pair of Tedford’s Oregon quarterbacks were first rounders (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington) and as were two from Cal – Kyle Boller and Rodgers.

Incidentally, Aaron Rodgers’s younger brother, Jordan, is on the Lions roster – having signed with the CFL club in the latter stages of the 2014 season.

Tedford spent six years in the CFL as a quarterback for four different teams before first working with Buono on the Stampeders staff. Even while coaching in the NCAA, he and Buono stayed in touch and it was not uncommon to have Tedford around the Lions facility from time to time.
"He was out of coaching in 2013, was hired in January of this year by Lovie Smith to run Tampa Bay’s offence, left the team in the summer because of heart issues that ultimately led to him to sitting out the season."

Coaching at the highest levels must be one of the highest stress jobs. These guys have my sympathy. Is Jeff Tedford downsizing a bit in his career? Pretty high stress in the CFL also.

Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:If we can get Tedford I would take him. He has CFL playing and coaching experience, he has offensive coordinator and HC college experience with big football programs, he is a quarterback developer, and he was good enough to be hired as an offensive coordinator in the NFL with Tampa Bay.
and he likes running a lot of screens (and I love the screen game and think we need it) and using his backs in the passing attack....
BC 1988
Legend

Interesting thread over at
http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... -Available

They've been discussing Tedford since he was released by Tampa Bay. Most posters think it's unlikely he will come to the CFL.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:If we got him, that would be a very nice Christmas present.
I'd be over the moon. An amazing offensive mind from all accounts. This would be huge.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:
I'd be over the moon. An amazing offensive mind from all accounts. This would be huge.
:thup:

Make a little wish.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:
Sounds good to me and I'm sure he'll make some big choices for assistants....