Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I agree with Rammer that Washington will get better with time, but otoh Ritchie Hall seems to me to be an attractive choice for DC.

My preference would be for Orlando Steinauer as HC and Jeff Garcia as OC and Dorazio and McMann MUST be gone.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

You people that want JC back as a head coach are certifiable. That guy should never be anywhere near BC Place again, ever. Period. He belongs in the CIS.
If the new head coach retains McMann and Dorazio then we know he again is just an extension of Wally and it's a complete waste of time. Both need to be shown the door.
I'll agree with this. And I am fully on board with Barron Miles as ST Coordinator if the next HC wants him in that position.

That said, some of you need to relax. We have the only opening and plenty of talent on the roster.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I'd love to see Barron Miles as special teams coordinator but that's up to the new coach. If we want a strong and independent leader, he'll need full autonomy over the coaching staff.
I personally wouldn't want Hall or Cortez but I would love to see us get Barrin Miles back. Miles would be a good candidate for both special teams and defensive backs coach. In fact I view Miles as a future defensive coordinator. Miles was the guy the defensive backs went to, when he served as our safety coach and not Washington. Dante had his struggles with Washington this season. Miles was not only a very smart player but he was also highly regarded by Leos players as a coach.

The challenge our Leos have, in our search for a HC, is there isn't a candidate out there who has future potential as a Head Coach and also has experience with more than one team as a coordinator. There are no Chris Jones out there right now.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Unless Washington had handcuffs on him this season or he is in WAY OVER his head...yes, Washington surprised the league by playing a PREVENT DEFENCE on every down from game one...but that said, he accomplished this with 3 special athletes at LB, no pressure on the QB, no effective blitz packages and no sign of adjustments or changes.

When the games got down to the wire this year and teams were forced to show their hands to make the playoffs Washington's D fell apart because it was smoke and mirrors...all of you need to wake up and understand that unless Washington REVAMPS his defence for this upcoming season we will get lit up weekly even with Elimimian and Bighill at LB...his system wasn't brilliance, it was a cheat that other teams figured out how to get around and exploit it...the book is out on Washington...we didn't get blown out the last 3 weeks because our Defence was tired, go back and watch the games...we got blown out because offences put our defence in a constant chase position...they dictated to us...

Again, if Washington knows better (like his post game comments intimated after the playoff loss) then perhaps he wasn't given a fair shake, but if that was Washington's idea of a championship defence then he's the wrong guy to be running our D, and if you can't see this then I am wasting my time...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Unless Washington had handcuffs on him this season or he is in WAY OVER his head...yes, Washington surprised the league by playing a PREVENT DEFENCE on every down from game one...but that said, he accomplished this with 3 special athletes at LB, no pressure on the QB, no effective blitz packages and no sign of adjustments or changes.

When the games got down to the wire this year and teams were forced to show their hands to make the playoffs Washington's D fell apart because it was smoke and mirrors...all of you need to wake up and understand that unless Washington REVAMPS his defence for this upcoming season we will get lit up weekly even with Elimimian and Bighill at LB...his system wasn't brilliance, it was a cheat that other teams figured out how to get around and exploit it...the book is out on Washington...we didn't get blown out the last 3 weeks because our Defence was tired, go back and watch the games...we got blown out because offences put our defence in a constant chase position...they dictated to us...

Again, if Washington knows better (like his post game comments intimated after the playoff loss) then perhaps he wasn't given a fair shake, but if that was Washington's idea of a championship defence then he's the wrong guy to be running our D, and if you can't see this then I am wasting my time...
He was also doing the smoke and mirror show without any DL pressure, and the Lions didn't have the horses to create any pressure. Then keep in mind that Washington was also able to keep LaRose from getting exposed on a weekly basis. Given the limitations of personel, I would say that Washington did better than many of his counterparts in the CFL. As for the late season collapse, that was more a team not having any faith in the direction the leader was trying to exhibit.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

cromartie wrote:You people that want JC back as a head coach are certifiable. That guy should never be anywhere near BC Place again, ever. Period. He belongs in the CIS.
I believe Chaps is currently a head coach in the NCAA, so he must be doing something right. :wink:

I doubt the Lions could match the Riders offer for B. Miles, who could be promoted to DC with coordinators R. Hall and G. Cortez being jettisoned.

The Riders might want Plop as OC and perhaps might take Khari Jones back in some capacity. That leaves O. Steinhauer as Lions head coach (who might be even a better HC prospect than M. O'Shea?)...with no Jim Zorn sighting yet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big topic.

Autonomy ...

Toppy, you and I might see things somewhat differently here.

Part of the discussion is the level of the importance of the Head Coach to a team's success. Some of us think it is number one. Wally said as much in his press conference, along with the quarterback. If that is true, then one of the next questions, especially for the Lions, is the level of autonomy of the Head Coach, under GM Wally Buono.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... d-coaching
Exhibit A: the Kansas City Chiefs. [September, 2013]

Last year, the Chiefs had the worst season in their history; in fact, considering the Jovan Belcher tragedy, it was perhaps the worst season in any team's history.

Kansas City failed to hold a single lead in regulation during any of its first eight games en route to a 2-14 finish. The home-field advantage of Arrowhead Stadium -- which, for much of the 1990s and 2000s, was considered one of the loudest, toughest venues for visitors to play in -- was reduced to a joke. All opponents had to do was force one three-and-out and the boos would start. Fans had grown impatient, given so many instances of football incompetence.

What a difference a year makes. Now, as we head into Week 4 of the 2013 NFL season, the Chiefs are one of seven undefeated teams in the league. New coach Andy Reid, brought over after 14 years with the Philadelphia Eagles, hasn't just changed the offense; he's changed the culture.

Throughout training camp, Chiefs players marveled over Reid's remarkable attention to detail, his focus on teaching the small nuances of the game. Ceding many of the personnel duties he'd held in Philadelphia to new Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, Reid was free to do what he does best: coach football players. And the experience and authority he brought to the situation was decisive.

Players must know they are accountable to the head coach; the importance of that can't be overstated. Of course, the owner obviously is the ultimate authority on any team, because the money being spent is his. And in the age of the salary cap, the NFL is more of a general manager's league than ever before. Still, both owner and GM must give the head coach autonomy regarding game-day decisions and allow him to be vested in the larger personnel process; otherwise, the coach loses any chance of truly leading the team.
Huge turnaround from one year to the next, with the arrival of Andy Reid.

Reid changed the culture.

He has great attention to detail, in a productive manner, not destroying the athletic instincts of the players.
"his focus on teaching the small nuances of the game"
"Players must know they are accountable to the head coach" ... Wally said players still came to him. He said they had confidence in him. Then he would send them to Benevides. I think the players should know they cannot go to Wally. Go to Mike, first, for anything.

Wally on the rooftop. Gotta stop. Wally on the tower. Gotta stop. Each practice. It seems to me this has to stop. That is Head Coach territory, it seems to me.
Still, both owner and GM must give the head coach autonomy regarding game-day decisions and allow him to be vested in the larger personnel process; otherwise, the coach loses any chance of truly leading the team.
IMO Wally should only discuss game day personnel if asked. Roster decisions should not come down to who wins the argument, as Wally suggested in his comments previously. Yes, ratio considerations, but not debate about who starts by evaluation of talent or preparedness. Input if asked, Yes, but not with all players, all positions, et cetera.

Systems? Gotta be the Head Coach, IMO. Playbook? Head Coach. Game preparation? Head Coach. Practice plans? Head Coach. Input sure, but not all the time, not each situation. Just IMO ... Otherwise, Wally is still the Head Coach in actual fact, without the title, and his Head Coach is nearly a puppet.
In recent years, former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli -- in true New England Patriots style -- was the ultimate authority, and he made sure everyone knew it. As a result, former coaches Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel appeared emasculated in the eyes of their players. That obviously is not the case in Kansas City now.
Did we not hear suggestions from players that they could tell certain decisions came from Wally and others came from Benny? Dysfunctional in my view.

It is just my opinion, but it seems to me Wally's influence has been too heavy. So one says but Benevides needed it. Then I would say that Benny is the wrong guy there.

(Do we know that Mark Washington ran the kind of defence that is close to his heart, close to his beliefs? Not sure. Do we know that Khari Jones ran the kind of offence he believes in? Khari pretty much said from the get go that he would use JC's system, with some tweaks. Did we see any tweaks? Khari was probably under qualified for that job. Or his hands were tied. Dunno ... And of course he was saddled with the same O Line regime we have had since 2003.) -- Wondering here if the systems and philosophy truly reflected the beliefs of Mike Benevides and his coordinators, or those of Wally Buono? Or are those guys so much under the spell of Wally Buono that they only see things his way?

Bottom line for me in this "autonomy" discussion is this: I think we might have had too many cooks in the kitchen with Wally's shadow looming over Benny, with Wally taking far too great a role in preparation of the football team for games.

Is Wally having trouble letting go?

If this is true, we might cut ourselves off from independent-minded, fully qualified, self-respecting prospective Head Coaches, as mentioned by one the reporters recently.

Just IMO. But I think autonomy of the Head Coach has been an issue for our team, and might be going forward.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Systems? Gotta be the Head Coach, IMO. Playbook? Head Coach. Game preparation? Head Coach. Practice plans? Head Coach. Input sure, but not all the time, not each situation. Just IMO ... Otherwise, Wally is still the Head Coach in actual fact, without the title, and his Head Coach is nearly a puppet.
"In recent years, former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli -- in true New England Patriots style -- was the ultimate authority, and he made sure everyone knew it. As a result, former coaches Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel appeared emasculated in the eyes of their players. That obviously is not the case in Kansas City now."
Did we not hear suggestions from players that they could tell certain decisions came from Wally and others came from Benny? Dysfunctional in my view.

It is just my opinion, but it seems to me Wally's influence has been too heavy. So one says but Benevides needed it. Then I would say that Benny is the wrong guy there.
Great stuff Joe, I agree completely...so much of what I was reading from your article is what happened in EDM this season under Jones...Jones spent an enormous amount of time this season TEACHING, both coaches and players so that the work habits will be in place...once Jones has trained his staff and they get better players, watch out for EDM under Jones. Our next HC MUST be able to compete against CGY and EDM or we will be in even more trouble! Thanks again!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have to admit I'd love to see Miles have some kinda role as a coach here. Heard great things about him as a possible coach WHEN HE WAS STILL PLAYING. Maybe that means squat but maybe it doesn't.... :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I have to admit I'd love to see Miles have some kinda role as a coach here. Heard great things about him as a possible coach WHEN HE WAS STILL PLAYING. Maybe that means squat but maybe it doesn't.... :wink:
Nope. You're bang on, actually. The guy could be a fantastic Special Teams coach and, with the right grooming, could be a solid Head Coach in time.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The fact that players bypass Mike Benevides and go directly to Wally Buono speaks volumes. Players no longer respect Benevides.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:You people that want JC back as a head coach are certifiable. That guy should never be anywhere near BC Place again, ever. Period. He belongs in the CIS.
If the new head coach retains McMann and Dorazio then we know he again is just an extension of Wally and it's a complete waste of time. Both need to be shown the door.
I'll agree with this. And I am fully on board with Barron Miles as ST Coordinator if the next HC wants him in that position.

That said, some of you need to relax. We have the only opening and plenty of talent on the roster.
Not to worry Cromartie, Wally is looking for personality first, and that is way down the chart in JC's resume. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some profiles ... Former CFL Head Coaches.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Pauser's list ... Impressive profiles.

CFL experience ... Very unlikely to come here, it seems.

USC HC

Jacksonville HC

Michigan OC. Financially? However, as a stepping stone to a HC gig, who knows?

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:From Pauser's list ... Impressive profiles.

CFL experience ... Very unlikely to come here, it seems.

USC HC

Jacksonville HC

Michigan OC. Financially? However, as a stepping stone to a HC gig, who knows?
Sarkisian is probably making 50% of a CFL club's SMS cap. His UW deal was to have paid him $2.85million in 2015 but he left that to take an even more prestigious job at USC. I'd be willing to bet he's making north of $3 million per season.

Bell? Interesting. Didn't realize he'd ventured into coaching. Small private school with only 3200 undergrads probably has him on a payscale much closer to a CFL HC. However it would appear he might be in his comfort level. He played high school football, college football and now coaches NCAA football in locations all less than 100 miles from his place of birth Live Oak, FL.
From the same Wikipedia page: Bell has been rumored to be a candidate for coaching positions at major college programs and interviewed to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Florida in 2011.[16] He has been quoted as saying that he intends to build a "strong legacy" as Jacksonville University's head coach and would only leave for "the right situation"

Nussmeier is intriguing. Yikes has it been 14 years since he was with BC? He's currently OC at Michigan but there are many rumours that Jim Harbaugh might return to his alma mater as HC next year which in turn could mean some house cleaning with the assistants and coordinators. Those dominos wouldn't fall until sometime next month. Buono can't wait that long.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.