CFL/CFLPA Labour Negotiations -- Deal reached

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The deal is not really all that fair to the players, but it was never about being fair to the players. There was never a problem attracting quality players under the old CBA mainly because there are hundreds of players available via the NCAA football factories as well as CIS and Junior football now a days producing quality players.

So, the big problem under the old CBA was attracting quality owners and thus the new CBA had to be about making the weakest team (financially), the Argos, attractive to future owners. The TV deal $ remains mostly with the teams and league office. In a gate driven league, the team with the weakest gate needs either strong TV $ to make up for a weak gate or gate equalization from other teams...something the league was dead set against, there really was only one acceptable outcome.

I congratulate the owners for doing what had to be done and the PA for recognizing what I wrote above. Hopefully the Argos get to move to BMO Field, attract enough fans to at least break even, and find a new quality owner. I'm not sure if MLSE qualifies under the "quality owner" category but I trust Braley's judgement here to be not about the $ and all about the long term health of the CFL, so he will find the right owner.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=454372

David Naylor's take on the CBA ... excerpts.
Back last autumn, long before the collective bargaining process for the Canadian Football League and its players began, it wasn't hard to find those around the game who figured the league's new salary cap would come in at about $5 million.

Which is exactly where it landed Saturday night, with the players and league reaching a tentative agreement which - pending ratification - will end the threat of a work stoppage for the next five seasons.

The $5 million figure is an increase of $600,000 per team over one year ago which means, when combined with ratification bonuses just for signing the deal, player compensation will grow to roughly $5.3 million per team this upcoming season.

Historically speaking, a payroll jump of nearly $1 million per team from one season to the next is unheard of in the CFL.
So why are so many players apparently unhappy with the deal?
The big, new TV deal created expectations. Pie in the sky. Get a piece of the pie. And pro athletes do not like losing. It seems to me that they won very good gains in this deal, but the perception is that they lost to the owners.
The unique element of the CFL's business case is that it can reasonably say it needed to make the league more economically stable. The bad old days in the CFL aren't really all that long ago (it's been eight years since a CFL team folded, 11 since two others were in bankruptcy) so the league based its position on prioritizing the medium to long term future of the league.
With three teams having public ownership and six other franchises owned by people of considerable wealth unrelated to the business of football, the owners getting their way in this deal isn't about fat-cats trying to line their pockets.
It's really about creating a business model that can drive franchise values up and make CFL franchises desirable to own in a way they haven't been for decades. Which is the very best insurance the league can have and should mean the end of fire sales and circumstances where owners are tempted to throw the keys on the table and walk away.
But for a league that has spent much of the past 30 years trying to stay a few steps ahead of The Grim Reaper, there's no shame in striking a deal that builds a solid financial foundation to the future.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The $5 million figure is an increase of $600,000 per team over one year ago which means, when combined with ratification bonuses just for signing the deal, player compensation will grow to roughly $5.3 million per team this upcoming season.

Historically speaking, a payroll jump of nearly $1 million per team from one season to the next is unheard of in the CFL.
I've seen nothing to verify Naylor's $5.3 million figure. Players were under contract for this year before the new CBA was negotiated. The ratification bonuses will add about $300,000 to each team's payroll but the only players guaranteed a raise under the new CBA are those making less than $50,000. The ratification bonuses and increased minimum salaries should still leave most 2014 payrolls well below $5 million.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the column by Ed Willes ...

"Emotions are running high," writes Ed Willes. "Are they running high enough for the players to reject this offer and walk out?"

"People who were supposed to be representing us didn't do what we asked them to do." ... "There were guys saying one thing, then when it got real they didn't want to do it. When the bullets started flying, they started jumping in holes." -- Dante Marsh

Much unhappiness with the deal and with their representatives is being expressed by some of the players. We hear criticism and negative characterizations of the representatives. The players can stand by their strong words, by their feelings, if they choose. They can vote down the agreement made on their behalf. Reject the deal. Go on strike. The option to stand by their expressed opinions is out there when they vote.

Ricky Foley made very disparaging, threatening remarks about his representatives, but then said he is going to vote to accept the very deal they brokered.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be interesting if the tentative agreement gets ratified. Not a slam dunk by any means.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I too want this deal done but I'm more siding with the players who are the product and each of them have a very short shelf life. We focus on the stars but the PR guys and low paid players aren't living high off the hog here. What has been given to the players out of this revenue is small.

A former CFL and NFL player today was making this point to me in a message off his FB page and he is right - that is that only the CFL is not a partner with the players when it comes to sharing the wealth.

".. the problem is the CFL is the lone dinosaur practicing this non transparent behaviour.

NHL, NBA,NFL even MLS and arena league make it easy for players to be able to negotiate."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Dan Ralph @danralphcp · 5h

Source says CFL players ratification vote will be Thursday. #CFLPA

#CFL board of governors to hold their ratification vote Friday afternoon, source says. #CFLPA
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

Hard line taken by Marco Iannuzzi via Twitter:
After conversations with confidants within @MLB_PLAYERS @NFLPA as well as astute business figures in #Finance & #RealEstate I have concluded that we the players of the @CFL have been taken advantage of during our #CBA negotiations. Now, after these #CollectiveBullyingNegotiations we have no choice but to strike for what is #fair. My apologies to all those who will be affected; stadium staff(s), other businesses reliant on gameday revenue & of course to you fans. EDIT - 4 Tweets consolidated into 1 for easier reading.

Odd that he would make it sound like a strike is fait accompli. Hmmm, ballhawk reported yesterday that Iannuzzi hadn't participated in practice for the past 4 days - I assume it's an injury (although I haven't seen it reported by the club), but you don't suppose it's some type of protest if he feels this strongly about things? Very foolish if that were the case.
ballhawk wrote:Iannuzzi's injury is somewhat of a mystery - always dressed but not participating in practice for the last 4 days.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Hard line taken by Marco Iannuzzi via Twitter:
After conversations with confidants within @MLB_PLAYERS @NFLPA as well as astute business figures in #Finance & #RealEstate I have concluded that we the players of the @CFL have been taken advantage of during our #CBA negotiations. Now, after these #CollectiveBullyingNegotiations we have no choice but to strike for what is #fair. My apologies to all those who will be affected; stadium staff(s), other businesses reliant on gameday revenue & of course to you fans. EDIT - 4 Tweets consolidated into 1 for easier reading.

Odd that he would make it sound like a strike is fait accompli. Hmmm, ballhawk reported yesterday that Iannuzzi hadn't participated in practice for the past 4 days - I assume it's an injury, but you don't suppose it's some type of protest if he feels this strongly about things? Very foolish if that were the case.
ballhawk wrote:Iannuzzi's injury is somewhat of a mystery - always dressed but not participating in practice for the last 4 days.
Thanks for the info, David.

Re Marco's view ...

MLB and the NFL have very little bearing on the CFL, it seems to me. Talk of them is pie in the sky thinking, it seems to me.

Let the players go on strike. It will be a losing action for them and for the league. The owners, meanwhile, can focus on their money making ventures.

Taken advantage of? Were the owners willing to face a strike? Yes. Did they stick to their position? Yes. I don't think one needs to talk to MLB or NFL people to see the reality. The CFL is an expensive toy for the owners, not a standing room only entertainment, nor a waiting list season ticket pro sport.

Go on strike, and we will see the reality.

Marco's view, being a Harvard guy, and a financial advisor, may hold sway with the players. I see it differently than him. I don't think the player reps caved or lost. I believe they saw the reality.

MikeAK
All Star

Why certain players still using other leagues, such as the NFL and MLB, as comparable is beyond me.

As far as Marco's comments, I think he's still suffering from that concussion he sustained back in 2012. Why the F*** is he listening to people from other leagues that aren't even in the same world as the CFL or it's players and thinking his union is even remotely comparable!? The CFLPA is getting some seriously bad guidance here. Is Casey Printer's old agent involved here or what.

A players strike is the worst possible move. The cookie jar will only shrink in size from there. It could potentially kill the league.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Players will not influence other players on what will come to a personal decision as to which way to vote. Some might want strike but fear the pay loss as they need money as they haven't been working and these guys are not rich. Some will fear the repercussions as some here suggest could happen (pie shrinks).

The CFL is banking on these players needing to work. If that is the case, CFL should win but it is not good to win when your workers feel they have lost big.

But the key thing that I blame the CFL for in large measure is how the players feel betrayed and sh*t kicked by the CFL. They are not happy either with their reps so that combo of anger could lead to the rolling strikes concept that was talked about before which would force the CFL to either lock them out and get it over with or face a media attack for not sharing the pie better.

The media generally feel the players got a bad deal from owners who are taking advantage of players who sucked it up in years past and want more of the new revenues coming in and a strike will really bring that to bear on the CFL and owners.

Right now it is spot lighted on the players. A strike will shift the spotllight to the owners and the CFL to open up and give the players something more if not this year in time to come.

The CFL is not golng to be killed anymore than the NHL has been killed with their work stoppages. And the CFL can't shut down and open up as the FLC or FLX or whatever else you want to call it. It ain't happening.

I am surprised that fans can't see these players deserve a bit more of the larger pie than they got. I do get that most Canadians haven't seen real incomes rise for 30 years and think - I'm not getting more - why should they - BUT businesses (large) are doing better and the CFL is not the poor broke group of folks they once were and can do better.

Cohon has done his job trashing the PA as he works for the owners but in some ways it is a surprise how front and centre he's been as is also supposed to be the friendly face of the CFL and I think you could see players in future turning their backs on him IF this level of anger is not released with something that gives these players hope.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Hard line taken by Marco Iannuzzi via Twitter:

Odd that he would make it sound like a strike is fait accompli. Hmmm, ballhawk reported yesterday that Iannuzzi hadn't participated in practice for the past 4 days - I assume it's an injury (although I haven't seen it reported by the club), but you don't suppose it's some type of protest if he feels this strongly about things? Very foolish if that were the case.

DH :cool:
Iannuzzi seemed to be involved in most drills and sessions Friday and Saturday but I did see him spending time with training staff trying to stretch something out in his leg.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Players will not influence other players on what will come to a personal decision as to which way to vote. Some might want strike but fear the pay loss as they need money as they haven't been working and these guys are not rich. Some will fear the repercussions as some here suggest could happen (pie shrinks).
Toppy, I am not against the players, although I feel they got about all they could get here, and I do side with the owners in this case to an extent.

And I know you are not against the owners, but side with the players to an extent.

I think most people are subject to influence, especially in group behaviour.
The CFL is banking on these players needing to work. If that is the case, CFL should win but it is not good to win when your workers feel they have lost big.
I don't see it as win/lose. Both sides are far ahead of years past. The owners, who had by far the strongest position were relatively generous in their offer, IMO. The TV deal could be a one shot deal, not repeating off into the distant future.
But the key thing that I blame the CFL for in large measure is how the players feel betrayed and sh*t kicked by the CFL. They are not happy either with their reps so that combo of anger could lead to the rolling strikes concept that was talked about before which would force the CFL to either lock them out and get it over with or face a media attack for not sharing the pie better.
The league played it very straight. No betrayal that I can see. I agree that the player reps got their guys' hopes up too much. And that shows how guys can be swayed, and react emotionally, even to the point of threatening their reps with their words, as did Ricky Foley. Just words? Just Ricky Foley? I thnk people are responsible for their words, and those words oftentimes indicate the true feelings, not necessarily followed by actions. And I am not suggesting Ricky Foley is going to try to beat somebody up. But he is greatly disparaging to his own representatives, speaking very emotionally, very subject to influence.
The media generally feel the players got a bad deal from owners who are taking advantage of players who sucked it up in years past and want more of the new revenues coming in and a strike will really bring that to bear on the CFL and owners.
I thought the CFL negotiated in good faith all the way. The owners have sucked it up seemingly forever in the CFL.
Right now it is spot lighted on the players. A strike will shift the spotllight to the owners and the CFL to open up and give the players something more if not this year in time to come.
If there is a strike I expect the owners to hang tough. Focus on their other ventures. No play. No TV revenue. No pay for the players.
The CFL is not golng to be killed anymore than the NHL has been killed with their work stoppages. And the CFL can't shut down and open up as the FLC or FLX or whatever else you want to call it. It ain't happening.
IMO the CFL is much more vulnerable than the big 4 North American pro sports leagues. Look at the unbelievable loyalty of Leafs' fans.
I am surprised that fans can't see these players deserve a bit more of the larger pie than they got. I do get that most Canadians haven't seen real incomes rise for 30 years and think - I'm not getting more - why should they - BUT businesses (large) are doing better and the CFL is not the poor broke group of folks they once were and can do better.
Do the players deserve a bit more of a handout? The negotiations reflected the reality, IMO. I thought the owners were generous. The players stand to make nice raises, regardless of the rest of society.
Cohon has done his job trashing the PA as he works for the owners but in some ways it is a surprise how front and centre he's been as is also supposed to be the friendly face of the CFL and I think you could see players in future turning their backs on him IF this level of anger is not released with something that gives these players hope.
I might not have seen it, but I thought the CFL played it straight. If there were disparaging comments from Cohon or the owners, I missed them. No give and take away. Here is our position. We are prepared to suffer any consequences. These are the improved conditions we can offer.

Toppy, as you know, I have great respect for you, but it seems we do see this differently. :thup:

And, No, I am not anti-players. LOL And neither are you anti-owners.

Blame the big, windfall TV deal. I think the turnstiles are a better measure of league health/vulnerability.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

if the media is siding with the players, then I know the owner are in the right.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

CFL on TSN

With the CFL and its players set to have a ratification vote on a new labour deal on Thursday, one CFLer doesn't seem to be on board.

Marco Iannuzzi, a wide receiver for the B.C. Lions, took to Twitter to vent his frustrations with the latest negotiations.

Iannuzzi said, through a series of Tweets, that after speaking to confidants within the MLB Players Association and NFL Players Association, he feels the players "have been taken advantage of" during negotiations.

"Now, after these #CollectiveBullyingNegotiations we have no choice but to strike for what is #fair," said Iannuzzi. "My apologies to all those who will be affected; stadium staffs, other businesses reliant on gameday revenue & of course to you fans."

Sources say the players will vote electronically on Thursday while the CFL's board of governors will vote on the deal on Friday.

The new deal includes a $5 million salary cap, well below the $6.24 million the CFLPA was asking for.

flutie20

22 mins ago

He's not talking for all the players he's talking for some players and himself. I don't know why anyone thinks the players got screwed? They got a salary increase which they asked for. They got the min salary increased, which they asked for. They asked for less padded pratices and got it etc The things they asked for and didnt get was revenue sharing which is not viable for the CFL, and the limit that required to renegotiate at 27 milliuon instead of 18 million. When its discussed like that it seems like a excissive amount of money, but you break it down over 9 teams equates to 2 or 3 million profit. If the CFL owners all made over 3 million profit they sure would share more. sidecutter

1 hour ago

Well I am off to Edmonton could have bought tickets for the preseason game but with all the talk I will take a pass. I am sure I am not the only one.

saskleafer

1 hour ago

Arty75

if Wally hadn't given Lulay around $800k they would have more money for quality players Report this comment!

2 hours ago

If Iannuzzi is an investment advisor I assume he knows how to read a financial statement. Go and look at the last ten years worth of information and you will quickly see that this league is barely financially viable and the teams will fold before they lose millions. I remember the Riders had a telethon in the 1990's to raise funds for a near bankrupt franchise. Report this comment!

joeyg

2 hours ago

Allecase

Who is Marco Iannuzzi? That is the guy B.C. Lions will cut in a few days.

ab33

2 hours ago

Would this clown prefer that the CFLPA loses members if the new team in Ottawa doesn't survive a strike or Bob Young in Hamilton gets sick of losses year after year and gives up. Who would buy the Tiger Cats? The whole league could actually go under with a prolonged strike. Report this comment!

joeyg

2 hours ago

I would be in favor of the players getting more money, provided it was available in the first place. For example, before you count in the Grey Cup which only comes around every decade, Sask made $1 million on operations and that includes selling out every game in 2013. And this is the most successful franchise in the league. So where is the money supposed to come from to pay more for players?

sdesio

3 hours ago

This was the wrong contract for the players to belooking qat such a high number as 6.8Milion in the cap. Unrealistic to get a bump that high this is the first real money that the CFL has ever received so they cant expect to get all back at once. There council put them in this bind and could have gotten more realistic in the beginning and maybe the cap would have been 5.2-5.4.

that_guy_him

5 hours ago

I agree green in 2013. The players ousted Morealle and voted in Flory, probably based on Flory saying he would fight for what they wanted while Morealle was probably telling them what they could get. The problem isn't the deal, it's the dream the players had that they would get so much more. Three teams have new stadiums, one team is starting on a new stadium, another just recently refurbished theirs, and another team won't have a stadium in 3 years. Foley talked about the PA executives needing their own security? I'd like to see Ricky and Marco hold a press conference in front of all the taxpayers who don't attend CFL games that are building these stadiums and state their case for a bigger raise and/or a strike. Report this comment!

arty75

6 hours ago

I really hope Wally moves this guy. He is a guy who makes the dough he does because of the silly ratio, a purrfect example of why it needs to be removed. The Lions could actually have a guy with speed and who could catch the ball if they didn't have to find places to play their inferior players. Here we go again, another player whining about the CBA, using elite legitimate leagues as an argument, instead of looking in the mirror and seeing he is making triple the salary of the poor guys at the bottom. I could have some respect for these over paid Canadians if they asked for the minimum to be raised and the top to be capped lower.

green in 2013

6 hours ago

I have trouble feeling sympathy for the players on this one. The owners didn't assign them their PA leadership team and I don't disagree that they are the problem, but in my eyes it's because they have set unrealistic demands that some players have blindly adopted and now expect. Suck it up buddy and put on the pads because the big losers will be the players should this not happen. Myself I am fed up with strikes (I live in BC) and will turn my back on this league if they players continue down this path. Many of the things I respect and love about the CFL are hanging in the balance right now. Report this comment!

pegpucker

6 hours ago

The players are being ridiculous here already. look your players not owners, you players do not make the demands. The guys that sign your cheques do. You know, your bosses??? Even more ridiculous is comparing the CFL agreement with MLB and NFL people. The owners increased everything (even more than they needed to imo) so be quiet and happy with the increases you are getting and remember that you are LUCKY & PRIVILEDGED to be able to play professional sports! Not entitled to play professional sports.

jbond76

7 hours ago

On behalf of CFL fans everywhere...Its a good thing you have your degree from Harvard to fall back on Mr. Iannuzzi that might be coming in handy for you - real soon. Report this comment!

zanman69

7 hours ago

sully...the league has to stabilize these franchises and grow the the CFL brand. That has to be priority number 1. If the expectation is that owners should be expected to treat their involvement in the CFL as some sort philanthropic endeavor and there is no hope of making profit, then you are advocating the imminent demise of this league because owners will not do that forever. The real problem here is that the players are thinking very short term. They may say that they are doing this for the future. They aren't. These players want to get paid now. That is their motivation. The league has to take a longer term look at this because how they mange this uptick in league revenues will go along way to determining what kind of future this league has. Report this comment!

allecase

8 hours ago

Who is Marco Iannuzzi?
avarv1

8 hours ago

So easy for him to tell all the players to strike. He has a Harvard degree and works as a Financial adviser while playing. The pay cheque isn't as important to him as it is to a high percentage of the league. As far as his play, he averages 20 catches and 200 yards over his 3 seasons. I don't think he'd be missed too much.

beerandpopcorn

8 hours ago

Well, if I'm an owner, and the players don't ratify the tentative deal, I'm telling the players, figure it out in time for Week 1, or there is no season. Guys like Iannuzzi need to tread carefully.

zanman69

8 hours ago

Marco went to Harvard and MIT. Obviously a smart guy. Marco works as a securities advisor in the off-season. Marco can write his own ticket outside of professional football regardless of how long a career he has. These comments are more about promoting the 'Marco Iannuzzi' brand then it is about anything to do with CFL labor.

dreamscholar

8 hours ago

NFL gets $4 Billion in broadcast rights -- CFL gets $40 Million. You might as well compare Tokyo to Saskatoon and say, Saskatoon should build a bullet train because Tokyo has one. Not smart Iannuzzi, size matters. Report this comment!

themilkman84

8 hours ago

2014 CFL Season - 'The Year of the Replacements' Any team can win the CFL title this year, even you!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)