Geroy packing it in

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My sentiments as well.
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:He burned the bridge back to the Lions, to accept him at this point would be showing all the other players that it is fine to call out the Lions as a whole and be accepted back. No thank-you Geroy, retire a Rider, they did everything for you that Wally didn't see you doing for the Lions...not. No love loss from my perspective once he let it be known truly how he felt about the Lions. The way he left it seemed to be about extending his career/catches, which was understandable, but when he called out the Lions in poor form, he burnt that bridge in one interview.
I don't remember the exact comments that are being referred to in this thread, and perhaps someone can reproduce them. (If so, that would be helpful, enabling us to re-examine them.) Were they really that bad? Or were they, perhaps, just remarks made without much thought that reflected Geroy's strong feelings about being still able to produce as a front-line receiver? Let him who has never made spontaneous ill-advised comments cast the first stone. Do we now write off all former players who have, through hurt feelings and perhaps without thought, been critical of the Lions? Is Korey Banks, for example, now a non-person to the Lions?

I'd like to see the Lions take the high road in this. But that will require that Wally not retain animus towards Geroy. I'd like to see the Lions rise above some ill will (possibly on both sides) and try to heal any remaining wounds by at least exploring having Geroy retire as a Lion. Geroy may not want this, and, if so, the Lions have done the right thing, and it is Geroy's decision. I don't see a downside to this, but I do see some potential good from it. Geroy's name should be on the ring of honour at BC Place at some point in the not-distant future. He is, after all, in the view of many, the greatest Lion of all time.
Big Time
Champion

I'm with Dano/MLF on this one. Just don't understand the anger here. He didn't choose to leave BC. BC traded him to the Riders when he said he didn't want a reduced role and salary. That's his right which he has earned as a veteran in this league. It seems like both sides were honest with each other and Wally did him a favour by trading him.

As for his legacy, he will ALWAYS be a Lion. So what if he got a last ring with the Riders? He got two with the Lions.

Finally, as to the whole "retiring as a Lion". is he not under contract with the Riders? So unless they cut him, which to my knowledge they have not done, his only option if he wants to retire is to retire as a Rider. If the Riders want to do him a solid and cut him, he could sign a one day contract with the Lions to retire in the black and orange. The fact that they haven't cut him indicates to me that they don't want him going to another team, yet want him to accept a much smaller role than the basically decoy role he played last year. Whatever is going on, it's between Simon and the Riders. It doesn't diminish what he meant to the Lions.

Funny how in retrospect Wally once again made the right call on a player past his prime. I felt in Simon's last year in BC he had lost a step and could no longer break away from the field. Simon disagreed, but last year in Sask proved he was overpaid for his role.
Tighthead
Legend

I don't get the retiring as a Rider/Lion distinction. It seems empty and ceremonial to me.

He retires as Geroy Simon, football player. His career and his legacy, in my mind, don't turn on a press conference and a phony contract.
South Pender
Legend

His status on retirement may be less important than future treatment of Geroy by the Lions, although I would prefer to see him retire as a Lion (just as Joe Montana and Jerry Rice did as 49ers; Donovan McNabb and Brian Dawkins did as Eagles; Isaac Bruce as a Ram, Zach Thomas as a Dolphin, Tim Brown as a Raider, Emmitt Smith as a Cowboy, and many more). Geroy will certainly be remembered as a Lion, not a Rider (or Bomber), and, in my opinion, his jersey number should be retired in a ceremony at some point in the not-too-distant future. He deserves this, and anything less will, in my view, point to pettiness on the part of the Lions. The team needs to step up and do the right thing.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 6h

Buono and owner David Braley both tell me today that they would love to see Geroy Simon sign with the #BCLions and retire as a Lion.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 6h

Buono and owner David Braley both tell me today that they would love to see Geroy Simon sign with the #BCLions and retire as a Lion.
This is not a surprise. Neither Braley nor Buono would want it any other way.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

That's good news. I guess the ball is now in Geroy's (and maybe also Taman's) court.
Spud387
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:

This is not a surprise. Neither Braley nor Buono would want it any other way.
And if Geroy does not do a sign & retire with the Lions it does leave a sour taste with Lions fans whether it should or not.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Big Time wrote:I'm with Dano/MLF on this one. Just don't understand the anger here. He didn't choose to leave BC. BC traded him to the Riders when he said he didn't want a reduced role and salary.
I'm not so sure you can say he didn't choose to leave. I actually heard from a former player well before this was even a possibility, that he was going to go to the Riders. It was way before there was even speculation. A former player spilled the beans to a friend of mine, who then told me. I thought it was preposterous, especially since he was under contract. Months later when it became a reality, I couldn't believe it. It was obviously planned out quite a bit ahead of time, with Geroy probably knowing he was not going to accept anything Buono would offer. I assume he then chose Sask. as a trade destination.

So he really likely DID choose to leave.

Now I read on TSN that he will retire Wednesday and take a front office position with the Riders.

I just don't get it. One season with them and he acts like he's got such an attachment to that team.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's now making sense. It sounds like Geroy will be in the front office for the Riders!

TSN reporting that now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:It's now making sense. It sounds like Geroy will be in the front office for the Riders!

TSN reporting that now.
LU recently reported that Geroy will be named Wednesday as a community service ambassador for the Riders after Wally turned down an opportunity to trade for him last week.
Province article
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The divorce is getting more messy.

And it is dividing the fans.

Fans of Geroy not blaming him on one side. And of course not liking to hear criticism of Geroy.

Other fans feeling the pain and disappointment of separation, placing some blame on Geroy.

It's too bad. Hall of Fame bound Geroy. One of the All Time Lion greats. One of the CFL All Time greats. Not happy with the Lions.

He obviously belongs on the Wall of Fame. Would Geroy even accept the honour at this time? Looks like it might take a while.

Wally is going to take some heat, methinks, for doing what he has always done, release or trade a player near the best before date.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That's just it though. A. He wasn't released and B. He was already at his best before date. His performances had already noticeably declined and frankly, I think that had it been any other player than Geroy, he probably would have had his playing role reduced a year sooner. Geroy wanted out and he was granted his wish. Personally, I think he is probably well aware how his behavior in this has gone over with some of us fans. The love affair is definitely over. If Sask is what he wants then all power to him. I'm confident, he will do well and I wish him so but won't think of him as more than any number of other great players that have come and gone over the years. To reach that upper echelon of fan support, you have to show something special in your dedication to a team or a city. Simply put, he hasn't. As soon as things weren't quite to his liking it was adios and on to elsewhere where he felt he would be appreciated more. And even now if the article listed in this thread is accurate, it would still seem that he is still trying to call his shot. A trade back to the Lions as a sixth receiver, not as a retirement option? So the Riders don't want to let him play anymore but maybe he can parlez that 12 years of history with BC into another last attempt to stay on field. Otherwise, no, I will retire as a Rider and stay and work there. That speaks volumes to me about just where his priorities are.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:It's now making sense. It sounds like Geroy will be in the front office for the Riders!

TSN reporting that now.
LU recently reported that Geroy will be named Wednesday as a community service ambassador for the Riders after Wally turned down an opportunity to trade for him last week.
Province article
That is good write up of the sentiments of the Lions for now. Where did I Wally say he didn't want to do that again? Let me see...er .. um... I got it JC after his stint with the Eskimos. He said that and then relented as the Receivers wanted him back - poor babies....

It makes sense that they not bring him back in a reduced support role as that postpones the inevitable which is sooner than later and takes a spot from a person they need to develop. I would certainly have said they were nuts if they did a trade like that even if they gave up worn out footballs.

I harbour no ill will towards Geroy Simon. Yes, I was critical of the role he played in undermining co-OCs Kruck and Dorazio as the Receivers ganged up and first wanted the returned JC down on the field sending Kruck to the booth and then the demotion of Kruck.

What does surprise me a wee bit is that this came to a head - so it seems - so close to start of TC. I wonder why they didn't do it a bit sooner or maybe Geroy came to them with I want to be a starter this season and not be relegated to support but got told no - we hardly want you.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy