Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

cromartie wrote:
South Pender wrote:Interesting piece here by Joe Posnanski, national columnist for NBC Sports

Traces the "Factory of Sadness" that is the Cleveland Browns. I wonder whether Cromartie is reading this. According to his signature, he lives near Cleveland--but that doesn't necessarily mean, of course, that the Browns are his favorite team!

__
I love the BC Lions and the BC Lions only. Being a Browns fan is a level of suffering reserved for people other than me.
Good thinking, Cromartie; who needs the constant disappointment? I actually had some hopes for the Browns earlier this season when they pulled off three straight wins in late September and early October, including one against the Bengals. Then they had 5 players named to the Pro Bowl (4 on offense), as many as the Broncos, Saints, and Panthers. So is the entire problem player-wise with this team at quarterback? The firing of Chudzinski, after only one season, may point to lousy coaching, I suppose.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the CFL games in Ohio? Does TSN beam down there? I assume that, at some point, earlier in your life, you lived in BC....
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I have to repeat a joke I've already shared either on this thread or a previous NFL thread. IIRC, it maybe a true story (or urban legend).

A lifelong Cleveland Browns fan died earlier this year and had some of the teams starters be his pallbearers at his funeral because he wanted them to let him down ONE LAST TIME!
Yeah...that's hilarious.
notahomer wrote:My picks for Wildcard Weekend
Colts beat Chiefs, Saints over Eagles, Chargers over Bengals and Packers outlast 49ers
Here are mine: Chiefs over Colts; Saints over Eagles, Bengals over Chargers, and 49ers over Packers. So we only agree on one, but part of my last choice is my natural pessimism, in that the 49ers are the one team I'd hate to see the Seahawks have to play. I think they can take care of the Saints and Packers, but not so sure about the 49ers. One small thing: if the Seahawks play either the 49ers or Packers (that is, if the Saints lose), that team will have a short practice week, since they play on Sunday, and the Seahawks game is on Saturday. Small advantage for the Hawks.
notahomer wrote:It is good to hear Harvin is back practicing. Lots of Lynch next week and I don't think it'll matter too much. So much of the Seahawks pass game/Wilson's bag of tricks, are dependent on Lynch. If the D has to spend too much time/energy focussing on Lynch the other stuff opens up, nicely. It will be weird because, IIRC, the schedule has already come out and the Seattle game is on a Saturday. Doubt it affects the players too much though......
Here's what I'd expect for Harvin. If--and it might be a big if--he can play next Saturday in the first game, his participation will be quite limited. If he makes it through that one intact, we can expect to see more of him in the next game (or games if they make it to the SB), but I doubt we'll see him in there in the majority of snaps.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what a great game in Indianapolis. If you didn't watch it, kick yourself.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:what a great game in Indianapolis.
Boy, was it ever! You're down 28 and come back to win. I had picked the Chiefs to win this one, but when Jamaal Charles went down early, I thought it was all over for them. But then they pile up a lot of points and look as though they're going to win it. Three things jumped out for me: (a) The loss of Brandon Flowers was the biggest factor in the Colts getting back into it and eventually winning it. His replacement got beat a lot. (b) Andrew Luck is a good clutch QB, throwing for 443 yards, despite 3 interceptions, and (c) T.Y. Hilton is a great receiver; 13 receptions for 224 yards. He killed the Seahawks too, earlier in the season. He is small, but has phenomenal speed (4.34 in the 40). Provides somewhat the same threat that Percy Harvin would for the Hawks. Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401040 ... =fullstory

And the later game wasn't too shabby either. Could have gone either way. I'm glad the Saints won, as they will be the Seahawks' opponent next Saturday, and, of the three possibilities going into this weekend, my feeling was the Saints might give the Hawks the best chance to win (maybe the Packers, but definitely not the 49ers). Glad to see the "can't win on the road in the cold" charge extinguished, if only temporarily. Surprised to see the Saints running game win it for them, with Brees held to only 250 yards passing. Mark Ingram out-rushed LeSean McCoy 97 to 77 yards. Rob Ryan put together a good defense. I'm hoping that it's not so good next Saturday. Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401040 ... =fullstory

Remember to click on the "Analyze" button for all the details and statistics.

Well, nota, your incredible predictive powers have shown themselves again: you're 2-0 so far. I'm going to have to work hard to catch up today....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well I enjoyed both the games on WildCard Saturday.

The Chiefs/Colts game was one for the offences. Anytime you score 44 points and LOSE, whaddya do? Colts earned this one but this is one of those debateable games. Did the Colts win or did the Chiefs lose? Not to make excuses but that Chiefs lockerroom could have doubled as a MASH unit. By the fourth quarter, Smith is handing the ball off to his 3rd stringer....

The Saints/Eagles? I thought the Saints would win and they did. I started to believe the mumbojumbo regarding can't win in the cold, can't win on the road etc... but deep down none of it matters. Again, it was an injury that let this game even to get close. DeSean Jackson is wrapped up like a pig in a blanket but once Keenan Lewis is on the sideline due to injury, Jackson emerges to get the Eagles where they had the lead late. Then the Saints won it on the last play of the game via field goal. Do NOT see them doing much in Seattle. (HOPE I"M RIGHT).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:....Well, nota, your incredible predictive powers have shown themselves again: you're 2-0 so far. I'm going to have to work hard to catch up today....
Lucky, IMO. Could have easily gone 0-2. Chiefs should have won, IMO, but injuries (of key Chiefs), good bounces and good play got the Colts the win. As for the Saints win, the right team won, IMO, but Eagles were close enough, something could have happened.....
Bengals leading the Chargers, so far. Bengals are like the Browns, Falcons, Cardinals, IMO. Even when they have good years there is a culture that usually leads to playoff defeats. I know, I know, the Chargers fit into this category of 'losers' too. I just think the Chargers will do less selfinflicted injuries than the Bengals. Bengals lead by a field goal and I STILL think the Chargers flip that and win by a field goal....

This is often the best weekend of playoff football, usually, IIRC. The conference championships can also be good games too. IIRC, the winner of the Packers/49ers plays the Panthers. Looks like a good game on paper, IMO and maybe even will be good on the field too. Saints/Seahawks? Well based on the last game, Payton/Brees got some work to do. Eliminate Mr. Skittles and who knows? Leave Lynch and that offence will do enough to beat you. Certainly feel the Seahawks have the best defence.
As for the AFC, I think you may as well book Brady a trip to Denver will YET another matchup with Mannings Broncos. Again, the games have to be played and if there is going to be an upset (I don't see it) it maybe the Patriots falling. If it is a Broncos/Patriots matchup, at least we don't have to hear the shivering, only can play in a dome Peyton storylines.....
South Pender
Legend

Wow...another very interesting day of football. First, the Chargers-Bengals game. Andy Dalton throws for 339 yards (compared to Philip Rivers' 128), and the Bengals rack up 439 yards of total offense vs. 318 for the Chargers, but the Chargers win by a pretty one-sided-looking score! Of course, 5 turnovers will do that to you. I thought Dalton looked very ordinary today, despite his passing yardage (he was only hitting on 57% of his passes), and I think that Mike McCoy really out-coached Marvin Lewis today. Philip Rivers looked good, and the Chargers' running attack was excellent, picking up close to 200 yards. I'd picked the Bengals (who were favored by 7), but the Chargers were the better team. Chargers-Broncos next weekend should be fun. Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401050 ... &tab=recap

And the Packers-49ers--this was a better game, decided on a FG on the last play. I thought the 49ers were definitely the better team today, and they racked up 381 yards of total offense to only 281 for the Pack. Still, you couldn't count the Packers out with Aaron Rodgers in there. Colin Kaepernick really killed the Packers with his legs in this one. Next week's divisional game between the 49ers and Panthers should be a bruising affair, with both teams having rugged defenses. The more bruising the better, as far as I'm concerned, with the badly-bruised winner, I hope, playing the Seahawks (but first, of course, they have to beat the Saints) in the NFC conference game. Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401050 ... &tab=recap

Nota, you picked 3 of 4--better than most of the paid experts!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Wow...another very interesting day of football. ............

Nota, you picked 3 of 4--better than most of the paid experts!
Well I'll agree it was an interesting day of football. Thanks for the kudos but really it could have easily gone the other way. I look at it this way. THe WildCard Weekend is usually, IIRC, the best weekend of football. The conference finals can be hit or miss but usually the DIVISIONAL round is not great.

So, why is the WildCard Weekend so good? Well, IMO, you have two division winners in each conference who probably should not have won their division except they were clearly the best of a bad bunch. Certainly the Packers (sorry South P, no offence intended but they were 8-7-1) and Eagles were lucky to be playing this weekend and got to host teams with better records. So, teams with solid records get to play a division winner who struggled to make the playoffs. Translation-probably close games. Really three of the four games were settled by a field goal.
Divisional Weekend brings everything back to reality. For example, the Colts defence gave up 44 points and their opponents (the Chiefs) lost some big starters. Lets see them do that versus the Patriots. 49ers/Panthers---do not see Kaepernick doing well, the 49ers D had better bring their A game. Saints/Seahawks...well the regular season version of this game was not even close but maybe Payton/Brees can cook up some surprises. And of course Chargers/Broncos. This is the one game where okay, maybe the road team gets out of there with a WIN. The TOP TWO seeds in both conferences got there for a reason. IMO, the Packers (due to Rodgers) were the only team that lost that could have given the Panthers trouble. IOW, the matchups are better considering the TEAMS that won, did so. I mean really what would the Eagles have done? Or the massively depleted due to injuries Chiefs?
I'd like to give KUDOS to the crew officiating the 49ers/Packers game too. CONSISTENT. Here's what we are going to call or NOT CALL and then did it both ways. BEST OFFICIATED game of the round, IMO.........
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Two other things which we can probably save for a post Lombardi chat, NFL followers......

Should the NFL add a couple of regular season games? (I've got opinions yes/no but I'll save them for February)

AND, should the NFL just REVAMP the playoffs. Some suggestions include expanding the number of teams who qualify and/or not giving a division winner a home game. IOW, if my math/seedings are right, the Packers would have played the Saints in New Orleans and the Eagles would have played in SanFran.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote: I'd like to give KUDOS to the crew officiating the 49ers/Packers game too. CONSISTENT. Here's what we are going to call or NOT CALL and then did it both ways. BEST OFFICIATED game of the round, IMO.........
Yeah...it was Ed Hochuli and his crew and they were good--as they usually are. I thought the earlier Chargers-Bengals game was less well-officiated by Jeff Triplette and his crew. Not the first time, Triplette has seemed weak.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who says San Francisco can't play in the cold ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Who says San Francisco can't play in the cold ?
probably the same people who said flutie couldn't.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Most (if not all) of Wildcard Weekends games are being replayed today/tomorrow on NFL Network.......
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Who says San Francisco can't play in the cold ?
probably the same people who said flutie couldn't.

Who said Flutie couldn't play in the cold? He is a New Englander.

I'd like to see some examples.
South Pender
Legend

Interesting piece on the Washington mess. It would appear, from Florio's article, that the team has decided not to allow RGIII input during the coach search. It also seems that Florio sees this as a big mistake on the part of the team, if I'm reading him correctly. It's clear that RGIII is a prima donna, and I'm not sure I agree with Florio on this one.

Report: RGIII bragged about his influence over Snyder
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Griffin Getty Images

So why are the Redskins sensitive about the perception that quarterback Robert Griffin III’s input regarding the coaching hire means he has too much influence over the team? Possibly because perception is reality.

According to Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post, Griffin has “bragged to teammates that he could procure favors from the owner and influence the franchise’s direction.” Jenkins cites unnamed “insiders” in support of the report.

She also writes that Griffin engaged in “fierce finger-pointing tensions with his wide receivers” during the quarterback’s second season.

The disclosures come in a broader column from Jenkins underscoring the importance of the new coach’s relationship with Griffin to the immediate and long-term future of the franchise. Indeed, unless owner Daniel Snyder intends to allow the new coach to pick between Griffin and Kirk Cousins or to look elsewhere for a new quarterback, it’s critical that the new coach be able to establish the right relationship with Griffin.

That makes it even more critical that the Redskins find the right coach — not the guy who says all the right things before he signs his contract but the guy who will embrace Griffin and not try to demonstrate to the quarterback that there’s a new sheriff in town.

Which in turn makes it even more critical that Griffin be involved in the search for a new coach.

It’s fitting that, after a full calendar year in which Griffin had too much influence over the owner on things that don’t matter, the Redskins have opted to slam the door on Griffin’s involvement in picking the eventual yang to his yin. For the sake of Redskins fans everywhere, here’s hoping that the team is simply not telling the truth about Griffin’s input in the decision.

Meanwhile, fans of the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants hope the Redskins mean what they say.