Return of Stefan Logan a Possibility

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

Blitz wrote:
~Printers 2004 season, with only four CFL reps coming into that season was incredible. He played with a brutal turf toe, won the MOP and with some impressive stats. How would things have turned out had we given him that 2004 Grey Cup start? He never dealt with it well and in a number of ways he never recovered from it.

~What would have happened if Printers had accepted Wally's offer at the end of our 2005 season to become our starter. It was a big contract offer at the time. Printers could have been the quarterback of our 2006 Grey Cup victory instead of being a clipboard holder and roster player in the NFL.

I have no idea why Wally is kicking at Stefan Logan. Its too late in the season anyway. He is obviously unhappy with the way things have gone this season but there are no easy or quick solutions to our run game.
Not to beat a dead horse but...

The Chiefs during Printers' time sucked. Hard. I watched Hard Knocks, I watched those games; that O-line wasn't even CFL caliber. CP wasn't lying when he said he had to make chicken salad out of chicken *poop*...

Herm Edwards is notoriously anti-CFL... Tyler *frig* Thigen are you kidding me?!

And I remember the 2005(?) Fanfest at BC Place, I've never seen quite the buzz around Printers when he came out to do autographs (he was mobbed), staffers had to eventually bring out a table and form an organized line

As for Logan, that kind of player was MADE for the CFL. I remember him getting swallowed up by multiple defender and somehow squeezing his way out many times.

Another thing, Logan got people out of their seats with those HFS DID HE JUST DO THAT?! moments, something Brown doesn't really do much of...
Rammer
Team Captain

aklawitter wrote:
Blitz wrote:
~Printers 2004 season, with only four CFL reps coming into that season was incredible. He played with a brutal turf toe, won the MOP and with some impressive stats. How would things have turned out had we given him that 2004 Grey Cup start? He never dealt with it well and in a number of ways he never recovered from it.

~What would have happened if Printers had accepted Wally's offer at the end of our 2005 season to become our starter. It was a big contract offer at the time. Printers could have been the quarterback of our 2006 Grey Cup victory instead of being a clipboard holder and roster player in the NFL.

I have no idea why Wally is kicking at Stefan Logan. Its too late in the season anyway. He is obviously unhappy with the way things have gone this season but there are no easy or quick solutions to our run game.
Not to beat a dead horse but...

The Chiefs during Printers' time sucked. Hard. I watched Hard Knocks, I watched those games; that O-line wasn't even CFL caliber. CP wasn't lying when he said he had to make chicken salad out of chicken *poop*...

Herm Edwards is notoriously anti-CFL... Tyler *frig* Thigen are you kidding me?!

And I remember the 2005(?) Fanfest at BC Place, I've never seen quite the buzz around Printers when he came out to do autographs (he was mobbed), staffers had to eventually bring out a table and form an organized line

As for Logan, that kind of player was MADE for the CFL. I remember him getting swallowed up by multiple defender and somehow squeezing his way out many times.

Another thing, Logan got people out of their seats with those HFS DID HE JUST DO THAT?! moments, something Brown doesn't really do much of...
What kills me is why place Brown back in the endzone on a long FG atttempt, you burn teams missing the FG with a speed returner being able to make the wideside before the containment can get out there. Brown is a north/south runner, which at times pops a decent return, but he isn't going to return a missed FG with that run up underneath the goal post into the brunt of the ST.

As for Logan, the line "he makes guys miss in phonebooth" was based on his play as a RB, even better than Gable does it currently with Hamilton. If he has the wheels still, he has to get the job in order for the Lions to gain field position on returns, as McCallum is beginning to lose that battle regularly.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

LU says Logan will be at practice on Tuesday. Not sure how we could get him on the roster, sitting Brown I guess? Bene said they aren't going to change their import ratio for Logan so I guess Harris is safe. Perhaps a Lightening & Lightening backfield? The defences wouldn't know who to key-on then. :roar:
Upper Bowl
Starter

Logan practice footage and scrum, including a hilarious shot of Jacques explaining his hand signals:

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/91151
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Upper Bowl wrote:Logan practice footage and scrum, including a hilarious shot of Jacques explaining his hand signals:

That was funny. No wonder it is hard for the Lions coaches to teach the running game as this just makes so many hand signals that have to be added to the mix every week.

Logan at 32 reminds me of the Joe Smith for Charles Roberts trade where Wally was talking about years back in Calgary when they stayed up all night to try and work out how to defend Roberts in a play off game vs. players like Antonio Warren who Wally got rid of while they were still effective just in case they lost a step. Then we'd hear 'In Wally we trust' as he always knew when a player's best before dates means you toss out the milk whether it tastes good or bad - just in case.

So Logan thought he was in the end zone and not at the 4 yard line when he took a knee. A total brain cramp and for him got him fired.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Upper Bowl wrote:Logan practice footage and scrum, including a hilarious shot of Jacques explaining his hand signals:

That was funny. No wonder it is hard for the Lions coaches to teach the running game as this just makes so many hand signals that have to be added to the mix every week.

Logan at 32 reminds me of the Joe Smith for Charles Roberts trade where Wally was talking about years back in Calgary when they stayed up all night to try and work out how to defend Roberts in a play off game vs. players like Antonio Warren who Wally got rid of while they were still effective just in case they lost a step. Then we'd hear 'In Wally we trust' as he always knew when a player's best before dates means you toss out the milk whether it tastes good or bad - just in case.

So Logan thought he was in the end zone and not at the 4 yard line when he took a knee. A total brain cramp and for him got him fired.
I guess we'll find out if Logan has it or not. If he still does and he comes in for Brown next game (not this upcoming game) he would add a different dimension to the two back set and as a rotational back he would provide a different look.

With regard to Logan touching a knee on the four yard line ..it was only one play and should not define a career. Logan returned many kicks in his career. He set a Steelers record in his first full year as a starting return man for them. He did a good job for Detroit overall.

However, he is 32 and for a speed back that is getting up there. However, there are those rare types that stay fast in their early thirties. Simon was still a star in his early thirties.

We'll soon know either way.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think the Lions HC response to this single error is part of the vastness of the NFL and their rosters versus the CFL. The HC likely has little or no relationship with this guy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:.....With regard to Logan touching a knee on the four yard line ..it was only one play and should not define a career. Logan returned many kicks in his career. He set a Steelers record in his first full year as a starting return man for them. He did a good job for Detroit overall..............
I hear you Blitz, BUT, one play does often end up defining a career. Hopefully this can be a way for Logan to 'redefine' that career. Bill Buckner? Or Steve Smith? IIRC, Steve Smith was the Edmonton Oiler defenceman who banked a clearing pass into his own goal in the NHL playoffs. Thankfully, Smith did get a chance to hoist a Stanley Cup later in his career. No question winning a CUP is always special and helping overshadow a one time brainfart can only help. Lets hope Logan helps the Lions and himself. Regardless of his impact, I personally won't have my memories of Logan be defined by this one play as a kick returner. Logan did play on a Superbowl winning team, IIRC.....

A very popular segment on Monday Night Football is its CMON MAN, segment. Which is pretty much pouncing on one time misspeaks, fumbles and bad plays... Its fun for many to sit back and laugh and say WHAT A DUMMY. But there is more to it than that, of course......
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think Logan likes to characterize it as a single error, for which he takes full responsibility. Others characterize it as the final straw in a terrible season. Logan fumbled six times last year, for the second straight season, and had the NFL's worst kick-return average. That didn't help him earn much forgiveness for his brain cramp.
Blitz
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
Blitz wrote:.....With regard to Logan touching a knee on the four yard line ..it was only one play and should not define a career. Logan returned many kicks in his career. He set a Steelers record in his first full year as a starting return man for them. He did a good job for Detroit overall..............
I hear you Blitz, BUT, one play does often end up defining a career. Hopefully this can be a way for Logan to 'redefine' that career. Bill Buckner? Or Steve Smith? IIRC, Steve Smith was the Edmonton Oiler defenceman who banked a clearing pass into his own goal in the NHL playoffs. Thankfully, Smith did get a chance to hoist a Stanley Cup later in his career. No question winning a CUP is always special and helping overshadow a one time brainfart can only help. Lets hope Logan helps the Lions and himself. Regardless of his impact, I personally won't have my memories of Logan be defined by this one play as a kick returner. Logan did play on a Superbowl winning team, IIRC.....

A very popular segment on Monday Night Football is its CMON MAN, segment. Which is pretty much pouncing on one time misspeaks, fumbles and bad plays... Its fun for many to sit back and laugh and say WHAT A DUMMY. But there is more to it than that, of course......
I wish I had said one play should not define a career. You're right notahomer..sometimes it does. Why we focus so much at times on a very negative play when a player does no many positive things is interesting. I can understand it if it cost a team an important game but sometimes the negative play is not even that important. I guess there are more people out there who focus on the negative than the positive...maybe its genetic....and got it passed down from their ancestors hiding from sabre tooth tigers.

Of course Lionbackes descended from ancestors who killed them. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:...Why we focus so much at times on a very negative play when a player does no many positive things is interesting. ....
That play Logan apparently made WILL NOT define his career for me! Logan used to scare me! He was one of those guys that I would turn to fellow Lions in the stadium and say "BE DAMN GLAD HE'S A LION, BECAUSE YOU'LL HATE SEEING HIM PLAY THE LIONS". I was happy for him that he got his shot in the NFL and I am looking forward to seeing what he's got left for both himself and his teammates in orange........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:

No wonder the Lions have limited running plays. There is a finite number of things you can do with your hands.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
Blitz wrote:...Why we focus so much at times on a very negative play when a player does no many positive things is interesting. ....
That play Logan apparently made WILL NOT define his career for me! Logan used to scare me! He was one of those guys that I would turn to fellow Lions in the stadium and say "BE DAMN GLAD HE'S A LION, BECAUSE YOU'LL HATE SEEING HIM PLAY THE LIONS". I was happy for him that he got his shot in the NFL and I am looking forward to seeing what he's got left for both himself and his teammates in orange........
One play that IR and will always remember about SL, is him surviving contact but getting his hand down to keep momentum going forward, he did this 2 or 3 times and then you expect a player to go down, but he was able to pop out of that and continue running. This was done at SL usual high speed pace and my daughter and I still are waiting to see another player do it. PJ got some extra yards recently by using one hand to keep from hitting the ground, but eventually hit the dirt.
zark
Champion

He's back and he's here.
Stefan Logan returns to B.C. Lions after 4 seasons in NFL
Running back/kick returner joins team practice roster
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... -1.2055474
:beauty:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Rammer
Team Captain

zark wrote:He's back and he's here.
Stefan Logan returns to B.C. Lions after 4 seasons in NFL
Running back/kick returner joins team practice roster
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... -1.2055474
:beauty:
LU is suggesting that Logan is going to get a lot of work as a RB, doing first team reps for both practices this week. What I will reiterate is that Logan is the anti-thesis to Chapdelaines running game, he will follow the blocking until the blocking isn't there and then where he ends up is anybodies guess. Hopefully he still has that explosive shifting ability, as he has suggested that he is a young 32 for an RB. Crossing my fingers for this to work once again.