Joel Reinders released by Toronto

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Joel Reinders was released by Toronto after they signed another draft pick, Tyler Holmes.

IIRC, 6' 9" Reinders was rated fairly high in his draft year but chose the NFL pipe dream.

He might be a gooder under Dan Dorazio/Kelly Bates' tutelage.

I just checked his twitter account.....his last tweet an hour ago....."Meow"

My guess is he's heading to Hamilton, but I guess there's hope he's coming to BC.
Lloyd
zark
Champion

How many games has he played since the draft? He's just been practicing all these years and gaining no experience. His agent should have gotten him on the field of play, not the practice roster of the NotForLong league. Does Dorazio want a project? He's got alot to think about already. There must be a reason TO doesn't want the guy.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A reindeer (Reinders) joining a pride of Lions ? :wink: :wink:
OV - 54:40
Champion

zark wrote:How many games has he played since the draft? He's just been practicing all these years and gaining no experience. His agent should have gotten him on the field of play, not the practice roster of the NotForLong league. Does Dorazio want a project? He's got alot to think about already. There must be a reason TO doesn't want the guy.
The Argos just signed former draft pick Tyler Holmes - starting OT in Div. I ball and made the Vikings PR last season; the Argos also recently picked-up former Esks starter Kyle Koch (a good one who can play guard or C - why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring this guy in ... ???).

So Reinders became expendable in TO; and has proven zip as a pro O-lineman and barely played much even in CIS ball - but - is huge and supposedly athletic (that got him some NFL looks) - not sure why any CFL team in O-line need would not at least bring him in for some sort of look ?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

OV - 54:40 wrote:
zark wrote:How many games has he played since the draft? He's just been practicing all these years and gaining no experience. His agent should have gotten him on the field of play, not the practice roster of the NotForLong league. Does Dorazio want a project? He's got alot to think about already. There must be a reason TO doesn't want the guy.
The Argos just signed former draft pick Tyler Holmes - starting OT in Div. I ball and made the Vikings PR last season; the Argos also recently picked-up former Esks starter Kyle Koch (a good one who can play guard or C - why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring this guy in ... ???).

So Reinders became expendable in TO; and has proven zip as a pro O-lineman and barely played much even in CIS ball - but - is huge and supposedly athletic (that got him some NFL looks) - not sure why any CFL team in O-line need would not at least bring him in for some sort of look ?
Sounds like a "project". We've brought in a few "project" guys in recent years. Remind me how that's worked out?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote: the Argos also recently picked-up former Esks starter Kyle Koch (a good one who can play guard or C - why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring this guy in ... ???).
The denizens on Esksfans were speculating as early as February that Koch would be in tough to make the club and didn't seem to be shedding many tears when he was let go at the start of camp. It's not that they thought he was a bad player but at the same time nobody seemed to be of the opinion that their OL would suffer if he was let go. Overall sentiments on his playing ability pointed to being at best a servicable or journeyman calibre player who was not likely to get any better. Any positives leaned more towards what he brought in terms of leadership and "in the room" stuff than playing ability. Most thought his release was either due to failing the physical or was $$$ related.

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showthrea ... light=Koch

As for why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring him in? Maybe they tried and couldn't come to terms. Maybe their assessment was that he wouldn't provide an upgrade on what they already have. Being a McMaster grad maybe he wasn't interested in staying out west or was at least willing to wait and see if he could land back in the Golden Horseshoe.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Reinders picked up by Hamilton.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some would say he is too tall for an O Lineman.

And I would have to agree that he seems like a project. Not something we need at this time.

I think our O Line, patchwork though it is, has been doing OK. Pretty good at their pass blocking, within their assignments, aside from the more complicated issue of handling the all out blitz. Pretty good at their run blocking last game, for Harris.

The TiCats are in a more acquisitive mode, testing all avenues, as Austin works to build their roster.

I don't think we missed anything passing on him, if we even had a chance.

From TSN comments ... Headline should read 'Tiger-Cats Sign Reinders to Stop Blitzen'

NIce pickup of Jermaine Reid though. Already productive. :thup:
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote: the Argos also recently picked-up former Esks starter Kyle Koch (a good one who can play guard or C - why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring this guy in ... ???).
The denizens on Esksfans were speculating as early as February that Koch would be in tough to make the club and didn't seem to be shedding many tears when he was let go at the start of camp. It's not that they thought he was a bad player but at the same time nobody seemed to be of the opinion that their OL would suffer if he was let go. Overall sentiments on his playing ability pointed to being at best a servicable or journeyman calibre player who was not likely to get any better. Any positives leaned more towards what he brought in terms of leadership and "in the room" stuff than playing ability. Most thought his release was either due to failing the physical or was $$$ related.

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showthrea ... light=Koch

As for why Wally or the Bombers didn't bring him in? Maybe they tried and couldn't come to terms. Maybe their assessment was that he wouldn't provide an upgrade on what they already have. Being a McMaster grad maybe he wasn't interested in staying out west or was at least willing to wait and see if he could land back in the Golden Horseshoe.

I could see the Esks releasing Koch because: a) - he was nicked/not healthy, or b) - he didn't fit in with the new Eskimo way as led by those dullards Mavis Reed & Mr. Ed; but Koch - if healthy - is IMO easily wayyyyyyy better than anyone the Esks have trotted out in their interior O-line this year; he's also a wayyyyyy better guard than Valli or Kabongo. But yeah - maybe CFL "scouts" aren't as impressed with his play as I've been, or maybe he had no interest in playing anywhere else but back in Ontario ?
:2cents: :roar:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I bet Koch is happy to be out of that circus known as the Eskimos
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I bet Koch is happy to be out of that circus known as the Eskimos
Why? Doesn't he like the circus? Who doesn't like the circus?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I bet Koch is happy to be out of that circus known as the Eskimos
Why? Doesn't he like the circus? Who doesn't like the circus?

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you.

- R. Zimmerman