Leos/Tabbies Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions had no answer for the blitz last week and it is not as easy as flipping a light switch to suddenly have that answer or they would have done it at some point last week. The faith that I gained in JC in the latter part of 2011 and in 2012 has evaporated...likely never to return. Ticats by 6.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:It's encouraging to look around the league and see how Burris, Ray, Calvillo and Glenn are playing the best football of their careers in their 30s. As Burris notes, Lulay is still young and relatively inexperienced compared to most of the starters in the league. His skills are still developing.

There are no changes in the Lions' starting lineup for this game. The only roster move is the addition of DT Jermaine Reid at the expence of ST Tim Cronk, who seems to be this year's version of Justin Conn, the 46th man who bounces on and off the roster depending on who else is healthy or new in town. Reid appears to give the Lions a six-man DL rotation if they use him on defence. My guess is that they'll break him in on special teams only. I see Reid is listed at 265 pounds. I don't know how accurate that is. Brandon Jordan is listed at 255 but was much heavier in college. They're both pretty light to be playing inside against 320-pound linemen.
If Reid goes into the rotation, then it will be Taylor and Westerman at tackle, with Reid rotating in and Keron Williams and Khareem Smith at end with Brandon Jordan rotating in.

You have astutely pointed out on a previous post as well B.C. Fan, that Lulay has a lot less experience, including a lot less experience at dealing with blitzing defenses and as Henry Burris pointed out, its the hardest part of playing the position of quarterback,.

It will be interesting to see what Hamilton does. They announced this week that they will be blitzing and they will but they also might just rush 3 or 4 to begin the game. That is what I would do...give Lulay what he is less prepared for.

In reflecting on the week and our offence or lack thereof, which was front and center, I asked myself, what was happening between Lulay and Harris on the 50% of the plays when he was released from the backfield? Why did we not get him the football.

In the old days of ChapBall, Chap rarely released the tailback and used him almost exclusively as a blocker, Then Chap changed and began to use the tailback a lot on the swing pass. Then Harris came along and Chap often released him in a variety of patterns.

I have never liked Chap's use of slotbacks to block at times. I agree with Harris that you have to attack the blitz. Attacking the blitz is not having your quarterback trying to escape it. Its not throwing away from the blitz side. Attacking the blitz is getting it out quickly and throwing it mostly to the areas the blitz is coming from.

So, for all the blitz strategists on Lionbackers, when we are passing against the blitz, if we go five receiver set and release Harris as a pass reviever and Hamiltion brings 6 defenders one defender will come free. Hamilton will either zone blitz and there will be huge holes or they will play man. However, in that situation Lulay should only count on two seconds to throw the football. Any longer and the sack is on him.

If we go power and use a blocking tight end and Lambala as well as Harris,we only have 3 receivers in the pattern. If we release Harris, we have four recievers against 6 defenders, either in zone or man with zone behind.

If we go two back and four recieiver and release Harris, essentially we are still sending out 5 receivers but have six blockers to pick up the blitz.

We used all of these formations against Montreal. It will be interesting to see what we utilize in our 'attack' style against Hamiltion. A quarterback should only count on a maximum of two seconds against the blitz. Anything more is a bonus.

The most agrerssive way to attack the blitz is to go spread and attack it with quick verticals (quick fly, quick seams, quick skinny posts, slants, etc) with Harris as a check down.

The more conservative way is the quick out, the quick check down to a receiver, and the hitch screen to a receiver. Going power formation gives the offence the most blockers and the most time to throw but doesn’t give the offence many receivers out there and the defense can play zone behind man, taking away the vertical patterns.

If we go power and use a blocking tight end and Lambala as well as Harris,we only have 3 receivers in the pattern. If we release Harris, we have four receivers against 6 defenders, either in zone or man with zone behind.

If we go two back and four recieiver and release Harris, essentially we are still sending out 5 receivers but have six blockers to pick up the blitz.

We used all of these formations against Montreal. It will be interesting to see what we utilize in our 'attack' style against Hamilton. A quarterback should only count on a maximum of two seconds against the blitz. Anything more is a bonus.

The most aggressive way to attack the blitz is to go spread and use quick vertical patterns (quick fly, seam, quick skinny post, slant) or hit Harris slipping out (not a swing pattern)

If we go conservative in the passing attack, then we throw quick outs, hitch screens, bubble screens, qu quick rub routes, receiver check downs, swing passes to the tailaback, etc.

Of course an offence needs to use all of them but to really hurt a blitz an offence need to think vertical and that means the quarterback getting it to his primary or secondary receiver quickly or checking down if not open.

Attacking a blitz is not the quarterback trying to outrun it or escape it or waiting in the pocket for a receiver to come wide open. Its got to be thrown more quickly, sometimes into tighter windows, and you have to be able to throw the quick vertical fly quickly, as the receiver is even with his defender and not when he sees him come open because that is too late or the quarterback uses up too much time.

More sports coverage on our offence in todays Province below

Just Blame the Coaches on the B.C. Lions’ Woes

Jacques Chapdelaine: ‘It’s my fault because obviously we called a play where we made him trip’

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province August 29, 2013

There was a point made by Jacques Chapdelaine Thursday that underscored the fundamental dilemma for someone in a job similar to that of the B.C. Lions offensive co-ordinator, as no matter what they do on the sidelines the success of the CFL team relies on others.
Chapdelaine was discussing a key play last week in which receiver Nick Moore was behind coverage and about to burn the Montreal Alouettes with a touchdown reception in the end zone when he fell down.

“I will have to say it’s my fault because obviously we called a play where we made him trip,” Chapdelaine said, who then got a bit more serious. “My job is to put them in a position to have success. I did not fulfil that responsibility. The play could be a great play call but if it is not executed properly it is my fault.”
Chapdelaine undoubtedly will remain on the firing line after tonight’s game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats largely because that’s how it rolls with the Lions. A receiver trips, a runner doesn’t block and the fall guy is the one calling the plays.

And as Chapdelaine noted Thursday, the Lions have had big plays offensively this season, just not enough of them, leading to a familiar charge that the offence is too predictable.

But what the Lions talked about this week that might actually be constructive was developing the suggestion made by Andrew Harris that the best way to defend a team intent on blitzing is a solid counter-offensive.

“I applaud Andrew for some of his comments because we all have to have that mind set,” Chapdelaine said. “We’re a big-play offence but we’re not consistent staying on the field.

“Dictating play means speed, execution and play-call, when you can do all three things together. I’m not going to call the game perfectly. Speed and execution will overcome play-call that’s marginal.”

What happened in Montreal was not the fault of Travis Lulay exclusively, and to make his point about the lack of protection afforded the quarterback, Chapdelaine told his players what Lulay faced last week was like “standing in the middle of King George Hwy. throwing in rush-hour traffic.”
It also attracted the attention of others.

“We’re going to blitz (tonight) 100 per cent of the time,” Ticats coach Kent Austin said, tongue perhaps only slightly in cheek. However, it will not, Lulay suggested, result in the Lions dusting off previously unexposed portions of their playbook.

“It’s not about tricking anyone,” the quarterback said. “It’s rare that every play is a clinic. But you can overcome things if you are playing fast and confident.”
If it doesn’t work, blame the offensive co-ordinator. It’s not as if he hasn’t been under the microscope before.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz, if that's not arrogance, I don't know what is...

To sluff off probably the worst called Lion's offensive game ever, by saying that Nick Moore falling down on his own accord (and he wasnt that open anyways) is the cause of it (obviously implying that there were missed assignments and poor execution everywhere) is tantamount to saying "go ask the players why"...

Chapdelaine has a system that he believes in, and runs it no matter what defences are doing...which is great if Larry Allen and Nate Newton on the OLine, Troy Aikmen is your QB, Michael Irvin is your wideout, and Emmit Smith is your tailback...if not, then you need to be like everyone else and take what the defence gives for free...

Until he goes, or he changes, this thing will continue...and while we might see some change tonight, I doubt we will see much...its all going to come down to "the players executing"...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz, if that's not arrogance, I don't know what is...

To sluff off probably the worst called Lion's offensive game ever, by saying that Nick Moore falling down on his own accord (and he wasnt that open anyways) is the cause of it (obviously implying that there were missed assignments and poor execution everywhere) is tantamount to saying "go ask the players why"...

Chapdelaine has a system that he believes in, and runs it no matter what defences are doing...which is great if Larry Allen and Nate Newton on the OLine, Troy Aikmen is your QB, Michael Irvin is your wideout, and Emmit Smith is your tailback...if not, then you need to be like everyone else and take what the defence gives for free...

Until he goes, or he changes, this thing will continue...and while we might see some change tonight, I doubt we will see much...its all going to come down to "the players executing"...
I couldn't agree more MLF, since JC wasn't willing or able to combat the blitz last week, his comments don't lend themselves to believing that things will be any different this week.
South Pender
Legend

Well, if it's business as usual for the Lions' offense tonight, we should hope for a loss, I think, odd as that may seem. I don't see anything other than some consecutive losses to get real change in the O. So, I don't think a loss tonight would be such a bad thing--and another one next week if necessary--if things consequently get completely reworked (not just mildly tweaked) on offense for the rest of the season.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Well, if it's business as usual for the Lions' offense tonight, we should hope for a loss, I think, odd as that may seem. I don't see anything other than some consecutive losses to get real change in the O. So, I don't think a loss tonight would be such a bad thing--and another one next week if necessary--if things consequently get completely reworked (not just mildly tweaked) on offense for the rest of the season.
I have to admit I am completely baffled by the repeated posts that if we just changed our offensive system and play calling the problems of our offence would be fixed or if we got rid of Chaps the problem would be fixed.

I find myself almost alone in the viewpoint that Lulay is as much of the problem or even more than Chapdelaine. I also find myself in this uncomfortable, strange feeling situation of almost defending Chapdelaine, when I was probably known on this board for so many seasons as his greatest detractor. it feels like sliding down a razor blade and it would be easier and I would be more acceptable to join the legion of posters who are laying it all on Chap but I just can't see it that way.

The offence that we run now needs tweaking and adaption But it is not a bad offence and there are many offensive shemes in the league that are inferior. This is not the offence that Chap ran for so many seasons up to 2011. Posters who write that way are living in the past. That offence was mainly a spread offence, a very pass oriented offence, and a very predictable offence in many ways. It was also an offence that did not like to run the football and when it did it was a vanilla running offence between the tackles. Chapdealine's old offence, which I nicknamed ChapBall used to put a lot of passing yardage up. However, it was an offence that kept the quarterback in the pocket and was not effective against the blitz. It also tended to be a one dimensional passing offence due to the its ineffectiveness in running the football. Traditionally Chap's offences were low echelon in rushing yards.

In 2007, when Chap left and Kruck and Dorazio took over, with Kruck calling the plays and Hufnagel consulting and Joe Smith rushing the football we became a more balanced offence and we rushed the football well.

When Chap returned we went back to ChapBall until 2011. However we do not use ChapBall today.That has not been the case from 2011. We are third in the CFL in rushing. Last season we were first in rushing. We use a variety of running plays now that attack inside and outside. We are not a spread offence but a multi-formational offence. We do not keep our quarterback constantly in the pocket although outside blitzes have forced us to do that more often lately.

With ChapBall we did not like to run the football and when we did it was a vanilla running offence between the tackles. Chapdealine's old offence, which I nicknamed ChapBall, used to put a lot of passing yardage up. However, it was an offence that kept the quarterback in the pocket and was not effective against the blitz. It also tended to be a one dimensional passing offence due to the its ineffectiveness in running the football. Traditionally Chap's offences were at the bottom of the heap in rushing yards.

In 2011 Lulay had a 95.8 quarterback efficiency average - about the same efficiency as he had this season before the Montreal game. We had the lowest percentage passing completion in the league in 2011 and Lulay started very slowly in 2011 as he has this season. In 2012 Lulay had a quarterback efficiency average of 92. 8, not very high for a 13-5 team. However we were first in rushing. Presently Lulay has a quarterback efficiciency average of 92.8, after a bad Montreal game. One thing is obvious. We haven't been very good on offence when having to rely on Lulay's arm. We need a very good rushing attack and we need him scrambling and running to be effective. Unfortunately, opposition teams know this too. On Lionbackers want our Leos to run the football effectively and to have Lulay sprinting out, scrambling and running but defenses are being designed against us to limit those options.

In 2011, Lulay’s running ability, the use of Harris out of the backfield, in ways we had never done before, and Geroy Simon enjoying an excellent season as our go to receiver, were the keys to our offence that year. We surprised opponents and our defense was outstanding and has remained so. However, defences are keying on Lulay’s running ability and using Harris out of the backfield and since they have made those adjustments Lulay has been ordinary overall.

Even when opponents do not blitz and we have time to throw, Lulay does not have the consistent accuracy to play quarterback at the next level. Our offence is best when we can run the football effectively and Lulay can scramble or run. Without those, Lulay has his struggles. Teams know this. They stack the box to take away the run, they spy Lulay to take away his run, and they blitz him – all of these things are done to force him to be a passer because they believe that he does not have the ability to beat them with his arm consistently.

I see us right now having two major weaknesses. Chap has never really attacked the blitz. Its been his greatest weakness, whether in ChapBall or JaquesBall. To add to those woes we have a quarterback who is a scrambler, who prefers to escape the blitz than throw against it, and who struggles getting the football away quickly or read a defense quickly. Lulay is best at the designed play or the scramble if he can escape or if he can run.

Both scenarios create misery, as we saw in Montreal. We couldn’t run easily so that forces Lulay to be a passer. Lulay couldn’t escape or run so that forces him to be a passer. Chap uses a lot of formations now against the blitz but he does not attack it as well as needed in his anti-blitz design. He called a poor game in Montreal at times and Lulay played poorly too and that is not all on Chap. Lulay couldn't pull the trigger on well designed plays and that seems to have been forgotten in the discussion of our offence this week.

For this game Chap is simplifying things for Lulay and we plan to attack it more. That should help Lulay a loit but he still needs to get it out of his hands quicker when its not a designed play, or revert to trying to do it all himself to buy time to throw. The key is to make quick reads and quick throws and for some of those throws to be ‘attack’ throws vertically and not just check downs to Harris. It would really help if Lulay could connect on a quickly thrown long fly pattern. It would scare the defense and its coordinator to think twice but Lulay struggles with this aspect of his game or the accurate intermediate throw.

In order to beat Hamilton and more importantly to defeat the better teams both Lulay and Chap have to get better at attacking the blitz. Henry Burris said it best when he said it’s the part of quarterbacking that is the most difficult and the solution is not just Chapdelaine’s schemeing and play calling, although that must improve against the blitz also. The good thing is that we should get a heavy dose of blitzing defenses the rest of the way before the playoffs. We can't always rely almost solely on our defense, as last year's WDF proved.

That will hopefully better prepare both Lulay and Chap to combat this serious problem that ails us before this year's playoff begin. That process begins against Hamilton tonite.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I find myself almost alone in the viewpoint that Lulay is as much of the problem or even more than Chapdelaine. I also find myself in this uncomfortable, strange feeling situation of almost defending Chapdelaine, when I was probably known on this board for so many seasons as his greatest detractor. it feels like sliding down a razor blade and it would be easier and I would be more acceptable to join the legion of posters who are laying it all on Chap but I just can't see it that way.
If it's any consolation, I'm with you, Blitz, but I'm probably more accustomed to swimming against the tide on Lionbackers. Finger-pointing after a loss doesn't accomplish much anyway. There are plenty of possible scapegoats, with Chapdelaine and Lulay at the top of the list, followed by the receivers, running backs, O-line and the coaching staff's penchant for playing conservatively with the lead and trying to run the clock as much as possible, even when the running game is not working.

The only way to lift the weight of criticism from the team after a tough loss is to just win, baby, preferably with a convincing offensive performance. Conditions are ripe for that to occur tonight. The TiCats have had one of the league's worst defences for several years and they've shown no signs of turning that around this year. They've given up the most touchdowns in the league and biggest average gain per rush, 6.4 yards, and the second most big plays from scrimmage. That's incredible considering they've played 5 of their 8 games against teams that currently have 1-7 records. When the B.C. offence is playing well, as it did earlier in the year, they've run the ball effectively, gotten good production on first down and have consistently marched downfield with a mix of ball control and big plays. They've gotten away from that, largely due to fumbles, missed assignments and penalties that have resulted in poor first-down production.

The conditions are ripe for a high-scoring, offensive battle tonight. I hope it happens, for the sake of the player and coaches, and for the fans.
South Pender
Legend

Blitz, I wasn't laying it all on Chapdelaine, although I can see that it might have looked that way. By "business as usual," I was including lousy play from the players as well. I fully agree that Lulay has been part of the problem, and when I mentioned a complete rework, I was thinking of getting him playing better too. This might mean some one-on-ones with Jarious Jackson, working on his release, recognition of secondary and tertiary receivers, and anticipation of the blitz. It also could include getting the O-line playing better and, particularly, blocking better against the blitz. I also think (although I know I'm really in the minority here) that Andrew Harris needs to improve his blocking and complain less about having to carry out this part of any RB's game. The Crapball (your term) that we've been witnessing is not entirely Chaps' fault, but certainly a fair amount of it is.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: The conditions are ripe for a high-scoring, offensive battle tonight. I hope it happens, for the sake of the player and coaches, and for the fans.
Conditions were ripe last week against the Als who were missing some key players from the lineup. We all know what happened
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm a long time seasons ticket holder (40+ years). I watch all the Lion games whether on the road or at home. I have never been or will be a fan of Chapdelaine as an offensive coordinator. I do not spend my time reviewing game films. (although I did spend 3 hours with Wally viewing films a few years ago and that was enough) I do not consider him to be the "best OC" as per Benevides' endorsement. The issue of dealing with the blitz is an ongoing one for years. It is nothing new. Seems to be the only time Chapdelaine adapts and make changes to his philosophy is when he is facing unemployment.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: The conditions are ripe for a high-scoring, offensive battle tonight. I hope it happens, for the sake of the player and coaches, and for the fans.
Conditions were ripe last week against the Als who were missing some key players from the lineup. We all know what happened
Yes, but the Als were missing most of those players on offence and we saw what the backups did to the B.C. defence. That was a big B.C. defensive meltdown and the players have acknowledge it but most fans, for whatever reason, focus on the offence after a loss.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Blitz, I wasn't laying it all on Chapdelaine, although I can see that it might have looked that way. By "business as usual," I was including lousy play from the players as well. I fully agree that Lulay has been part of the problem, and when I mentioned a complete rework, I was thinking of getting him playing better too. This might mean some one-on-ones with Jarious Jackson, working on his release, recognition of secondary and tertiary receivers, and anticipation of the blitz. It also could include getting the O-line playing better and, particularly, blocking better against the blitz. I also think (although I know I'm really in the minority here) that Andrew Harris needs to improve his blocking and complain less about having to carry out this part of any RB's game. The Crapball (your term) that we've been witnessing is not entirely Chaps' fault, but certainly a fair amount of it is.
First of all, I agree with you B.C. Fan that this Hamilton game tonite provides our offence with a great opportunity to come out of its funk. Hamilton's defence is very suspect, does not get to the quarterback, and should allow Lulay to thrive.

I also want to say, that when we differ or when we agree, as in this situation B.C. Fan I have always been impressed with your knowledge of the game, the things you see in a game, and the insight you always contrbute. You KNOW football and yoru contributions to Lionbackers for a long time have been very appreciated by me.

In terms of your comments South Pender, I agree with you that Harris needs to become a better blocker. I also have other thougths on Andrew Harris. I was thrilled when he joined our Leos, disappointed that we did not initially give him a shot at tailback, and euphoric when he got his first start in 2011. I was not surprised that he played so well with his opportunity.

Korey Banks is my favorite Leo but Andrew Harris has also been a fave. Its a great story of a Canadian kid who travels to Nanaimo to play junior football and becomes a star player on our Leos and runs and catches wlll and is exciting to watch play. However, as a media darling and a fan favorite, I wonder lately if he has lost a little perspective. His public comment re: Khalif Mitchell, his arm gestures in frustration on the playing field, and his negative public comments after the Montreal game have not sat well with me. I know the reaction will be that he is an intense, emotional player but that is not an excuse.

Andrew Harris needs to focus on what he does best, which is his play between the whistles. I have no issues with Harris wanting more of a leadership role but I prefer his drama and flair when we have the football on offence than the occaisonal drama he has created this season. Andrew Harris is an excellent receiver out of the backfield - the best at it for our Leos since the days of Willie Fleming. We should use him a lot in the passing attack and we do. But tailbacks can;t get released out of the backfield on every play and are sometimes needed to block. Harris has stated before its the area that he needs to improve at. He needs to take greater pride in it, as many tailbacks do, rather than *beeotch* when he feels used too often as a blocker. I did agree with Harris comments that we need to attack more against the blitz.

I also agree with you South Pender than one person is responsible for what has ailed our offence. The onuse lies with Lulay as the trigger man and Chap as the OC but everyone on our offence is partially responsible. There have been missed blocks, missed assignments, penalties, and receivers not getting it right too. Our offence, when it sucked was a collective effort and when our offence plays better it will be due to a better collective effort as well.
vanhalendlrband
Rookie

Lulay, Lulay, and the Offensive Line. Those are our keys to the game. We need those longer drives for the D
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

vanhalendlrband wrote:Lulay, Lulay, and the Offensive Line. Those are our keys to the game. We need those longer drives for the D
Lulay was much better tonight. He was getting his passes off quickly and with no hesitation. Had Arceneaux and Nick Moore not dropped their passes, Lulay's passing stats would be close to 500 yards tonight.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz and BCFAN...I love you both on this site...you're such knowledgeable fans, and excellent communicators, and generous contributors...I respect both your viewpoints very much...but in this case, I think you might be off base...if the Als game last week didn't absolutely, positively point out that Chapdelaine is riding a "10 year" arrogance or denial regarding dealing wth "the blitz" then nothing ever will I guess...

And if the ressurgence in 2011 (under the threat of him getting fired) or the game last night, don't point out than he CAN adapt and be successful then again, nothing else will...its just a choice for Chapdelaine, and once again this season it has taken an abysmal collective performance and the threat of being fired for him to change...so call it what you will, but that sounds like stubborness and arrogance to me...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein