Andrew Harris story

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/foo ... story.html

Harris believes fate led him to Lions’ backfield

By Herb Zurkowsky, Postmedia News
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Terrific article by Herb Zurkowski of the Montreal Gazette. Thanks for posting, zark.
“To think of a 19-year-old or 20-year-old as your starting tailback is overwhelming for the club and individual player,” Buono explained. “Even for a 21-year-old. The amount of responsibility. It’s not just what you do with the ball in your hands. It’s what you do as a protector, pass receiver.

“When we had him the first time, we saw we had something different. As a receiver, he was functional. Next year we put him as a running back and he handled himself very well. He was 20 or 21. But the onus of putting the whole club on his shoulders was scary.”

Harris dressed for 18 games in 2010, contributing mostly on special teams. He tore his pectoral muscle in March 2011, yet recovered in time for training camp. That season would be Buono’s last as head coach, but in his nightly camp conversations with Roy Shivers, the team’s director of player personnel, they repeatedly kept reaching the same conclusion — Harris was the Lions’ best tailback.

“Such a fine athlete,” Buono said. “It’s like Roy said. If you didn’t know he was a non-import, you’d say he was a good back.”
No surprise Roy was in Andrew's corner. :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

And Lionbacker's also had Harris starting even a year and a half earlier. Wally also entertained the thought of putting him at Safety. Even with our woes at the S position now, that sounds like a bad call.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A feel good story.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I love that kid...he's not as explosive as Cornish, but Harris adds quite a bit more...plus he's so smart...he may very well go down as the best RB in Lion's history and what a storied list that is...

Plus, I love how much he wants to win...because if you are going to play professional sports, you MUST have that attitude to become a winner, or you'll end up on losing teams year after year after year...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:I love that kid...he's not as explosive as Cornish, but Harris adds quite a bit more...plus he's so smart...he may very well go down as the best RB in Lion's history and what a storied list that is...

Plus, I love how much he wants to win...because if you are going to play professional sports, you MUST have that attitude to become a winner, or you'll end up on losing teams year after year after year...
As Rammer stated a few posts back - some on this forum advocated for him 1.5 season earlier.

One problem with Harris being a great or the best Lion RB is his situation and OC who is more pass oriented and doesn't mind a game where Harris pass blocks most of the game. If teams keep blitzing, Harris will have to keep blocking in this regime.

It is a good story and he understands this thinking which is a paraphrase of Wally Buono and Import RB - being a dime a dozen - IIRC that right:
“But we’re a dime a dozen. Once they feel we’re replaceable, that our (price) tag’s too high and we lose a step, I know they can get someone else cheaper. It’s definitely in the back of my mind. You have to understand the business of pro sports.”
As the song says - 'Mommas don't let your sons grow up to be running backs - they're a dime a dozen and they don't have long careers' like DBs and Corners can.

I'm not sure it is that CAN RBs are a dime a dozen as much as it is a position where without yardage the RB gets the sack - even when it is clear that the offensive scheme and play calling is what is at issue. Happens all the time.

Harris said this season he wants to be a team leader now that Geroy is gone- I think his best leadership contribution should be his work ethic and play. I like the sounds from Geroy's mouth these days as it is a bit different person now.

As much as I liked Geroy Simon's play there were times he and the players council had far too much say in the Lions and changes happened that were dumb due to them. I don't mean the Messam event but earlier. Messam should have been given the stern warning when he first came to BC dismissing his role in the bar room brawl he attributed to pals - only to have a judge assess a fine to him. Like Khalif - the Lions didn't nip it in the bud at the early signs that 'oh oh, we have a loose cannon on deck. Let's fix it before it goes off.' Messam then went to end Paris Jackson's season virtually with a fight in the locker room over a parking pass (allegedly) that the Lions IIRC kept quiet (jaw damage) and which led to a less than stellar balance of the season for the guy eating thru a straw.

I think the Lions have to view this asset like the Stamps view Cornish and ensure their offense incorporates the guy 's talents. Kevin Glenn after their last game without Cornish something 'Cornish who' as the two other RBs performed very effectively showing that schemes do matter and not just the player.

JC is more than happy to have pass blocking by his OFF all night.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy