top 6 of 60

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joewillie63
Rookie

I decided to take part in the top 6 of 60 on the BC lions web site.

Anybody could vote as many times as they liked for the top 6 B.C. Lions in the 60 years of existence. The results are Willie Fleming, Jamie Tarus, Geroy Simon,Al Wilson, Jim Young and Lui Passaglia.

Disappointed that Swerving Mervin or Tom Brown didn't make it, but overall these picks are quite good. I think I voted for Willie at least 200 times.
rb
Champion

I guess because he only played here for two years he's not on the list, but the best BC Lion I've ever seen (70's onward) was Cam Wake.

These polls never give defensive players their due.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

rb wrote:I guess because he only played here for two years he's not on the list, but the best BC Lion I've ever seen (70's onward) was Cam Wake.

These polls never give defensive players their due.
X2 I've only grown to appreciate defense later in my years. I guess we're to blame, as the fans, because we could vote defensive. IMO, its often like kickers, who cares until you need them.......
dtrain
Starter

I wondered by they set up the 'bracketed' voting, rather than just letting fans submit their own top six.
Taras over Brent Johnson?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote: Taras over Brent Johnson?
yup, youbet
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Cam Wake, 2 seasons and Doug Flutie, 1 season were the 2 most impressive players I have ever watched in Lion's uniforms. But how Merv Fernandez didn't make the final 6 is beyond me...a superior talent who came to play game in and game out...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Cam Wake, 2 seasons and Doug Flutie, 1 season were the 2 most impressive players I have ever watched in Lion's uniforms. But how Merv Fernandez didn't make the final 6 is beyond me...a superior talent who came to play game in and game out...
:whs:
dtrain
Starter

So is Geroy going to throw on his orange 81 jersey and lead the team out for one of the home games?
He may not want to while being a member of the Riders.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Here is my opinion on this. First off, I am tired of Doug Flutie constantly being considered as one of the best all-time Lions. It's almost like Cam Neely being considered a top Canuck, or Mark Messier. We all know how great he turned out to be, and yes, he did have one amazing season, but I think since he was really only here for two seasons, he should not be there. It's the same reason Cam Wake isn't, when we know he is probably the most talented player to play for us. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Merv Fernandez should be put in this same category. I think he played here long enough, and was likely just a victim of being in a bracket with someone more popular. Wasn't he up against Dirty Thirty and lost?
I have one of the posters from when they chose the all time Lions roster, where Flutie is the QB. It just doesn't seem right.

I'm not going to say we've had so many more great QBs that were better overall, but some just put more time in and have earned it. (all this ranting and raving about Flutie might make you think I think he won Top 6. I know he didn't, but everyone always mentions him in this convo)
If he is part of it, why not Jon Volpe, who was unstoppable from 5 yards to the goal line. Or Tony Cherry? 2 great years at least. Perhaps these names were there and I missed them.

By the way, I didn't notice Matt Dunigan in this tournament. Was he part of it? He was here for what..2 yrs?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Honour Dewalt wrote:Here is my opinion on this. First off, I am tired of Doug Flutie constantly being considered as one of the best all-time Lions. It's almost like Cam Neely being considered a top Canuck, or Mark Messier. We all know how great he turned out to be, and yes, he did have one amazing season, but I think since he was really only here for two seasons, he should not be there. It's the same reason Cam Wake isn't, when we know he is probably the most talented player to play for us. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Merv Fernandez should be put in this same category. I think he played here long enough, and was likely just a victim of being in a bracket with someone more popular. Wasn't he up against Dirty Thirty and lost?
I have one of the posters from when they chose the all time Lions roster, where Flutie is the QB. It just doesn't seem right.

I'm not going to say we've had so many more great QBs that were better overall, but some just put more time in and have earned it. (all this ranting and raving about Flutie might make you think I think he won Top 6. I know he didn't, but everyone always mentions him in this convo)
If he is part of it, why not Jon Volpe, who was unstoppable from 5 yards to the goal line. Or Tony Cherry? 2 great years at least. Perhaps these names were there and I missed them.

By the way, I didn't notice Matt Dunigan in this tournament. Was he part of it? He was here for what..2 yrs?

Agreed that Flutie played here but his accomplishments were mainly with Calgary and Toronto.

There have been several "how come he didn't make the final six" suggestions, but I've yet to hear anyone argue that any of those who were chosen shouldn't have been. I could make arguments for other guys, but I'm quite happy with the results and wouldn't change any of them out.
joewillie63
Rookie

Theres only one I wouldnt include in my top six,thatsTarus. Great Lion player but not even close to swerving Mervin, Tom Brown,Ray Nettles.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Honour Dewalt wrote:Here is my opinion on this. First off, I am tired of Doug Flutie constantly being considered as one of the best all-time Lions. It's almost like Cam Neely being considered a top Canuck, or Mark Messier. We all know how great he turned out to be, and yes, he did have one amazing season, but I think since he was really only here for two seasons, he should not be there. It's the same reason Cam Wake isn't, when we know he is probably the most talented player to play for us. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Merv Fernandez should be put in this same category. I think he played here long enough, and was likely just a victim of being in a bracket with someone more popular. Wasn't he up against Dirty Thirty and lost?

Agreed that Flutie played here but his accomplishments were mainly with Calgary and Toronto.

There have been several "how come he didn't make the final six" suggestions, but I've yet to hear anyone argue that any of those who were chosen shouldn't have been. I could make arguments for other guys, but I'm quite happy with the results and wouldn't change any of them out.

Exactly, that goes to what I said countless times that seniority means a lot more than performance when creating such lists. If you're going to suggest that Doug Flutie should be considered, then might as well put in Casey Printers. Both QB's won MOP's, and both left in pretty bad terms although the latter would be much worse, while the former turned down an offer from then-owner Murray Pezim and joined the divisional rival. So that said, let's compromise and agree and select the third QB MOP Travis Lulay. :wink:

As for Mervyn Fernandez, remember he left the team after 1986 after bolting to the NFL, and was released before the GC in 1994 and those are rather negative impressions. So if anything, I'm tempted to say that David Williams left in better terms after 2 years in that the Lions simply didn't offer him a good contract extension.

And with the example of Neely and Messier and even Flutie(s), what I like is that 5 out of 6 selected played for the Lions ONLY and no other team and in that sense, there's no bias nor does it cloud a Lions fans views towards that player. The exception is Geroy Simon and even though there's no doubt that played his prime as a Lion there's always that possibility that he can haunt the Lions later on the same way other long time Lions like Jason Clermont and Damon Allen did in the playoffs against the Lions. So that said, I may have preferred that the remaining player from that top 6 being one who ONLY played for the Lions like Norm Fieldgate or Brent Johnson.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If I were to pick the top 6 Lions of all time off the top of my head, I would have got 4 of the 6 selected. I would have added Brent Johnson and Norm Fieldgate and dropped Al Wilson and Jamie Taras. I admire both Wilson and Taras for their longevity and loyalty to the team but Johnson and Fieldgate had those same qualities and played higher profile positions.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I can't really argue with the winners either. But why are people wanting to add Brent Johnson and not James Parker? Import ratio value aside, didn't he have a greater impact on the game?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: I admire both Wilson and Taras for their longevity and loyalty to the team but Johnson and Fieldgate had those same qualities and played higher profile positions.
there is the key. far too often olinemen do not get the recognition they deserve. I fully support both wilson and taras being on the list.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back