Kavis Reed's Emotional Comments, Assistants on Gag Order

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If Reed wants to back up his words and make repeat offenders pay the consequences, he can start by benching J.C. Sherritt. He's taken 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalties in two straight regular-season games against the Lions, once for a late hit on Lulay last week and once for tackling Andrew Harris out of bounds in Week 17 last year. Both penalties led directly to B.C. scores. Somehow I don't think Reed will bench his star linebacker this week. But what if he takes another penalty on Saturday? The coach has painted himself into a corner.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 79481.html
A big, viral mistake for Eskimos

Team missed big chance to control their message when they posted video of an angry head coach Kavis Reed
By GERRY MODDEJONGE, QMI Agency

Kavis Reed is usually under control, emotionally, as indicated in this photo from the home opener against the Roughriders, but a video posted by the team showed an angry Reed after Saturday's game against the Lions. (Perry Nelson/QMI Agency)

Eskimos say they're in line with Reed

EDMONTON - Is it just me, or is everyone talking about the Edmonton Eskimos for all the wrong reasons?

And they have no one to blame but themselves, in this case.

On the field, the team was embarrassed in a 17-3 loss to the B.C. Lions last Saturday. And while most clubs swing into damage-control mode after an outing like that, the Eskimos have become their own worst enemy, hurting their image further by posting a video of head coach Kavis Reed that quickly went viral.

Understandably upset following a game where his offence managed just 145 net yards on the way to putting their sole points on the scoreboard off of the game’s only field goal, Reed went on a post-game rant that would no doubt have made a TSN top-10 list.

Only it didn’t, because there were no television cameras there to capture the seething coach, who was unable to fully hide his emotional reaction to the question of penalty problems posed by Sun columnist Terry Jones.
Image control?

Damage control?

Controlling the messaage?

In the public eye, these are all considerations.

Head Coaches in football are under huge pressure. Pressures of different types. Occasionally they blow their tops, and vent, often in press conferences with pesky reporters pushing their buttons.

The Eskimos first posted Kavis Reed's emotional comments. Then they took them down. Dithering. No point in hiding from his comments, it seems to me. He made those comments, with emotion, but he was sending a message, to his team, and to the media.

Being emotional is part of who Reed is as a coach. That won't change.

Does his emotional approach to the game work for his team? That is another question. Not much evidence to date, that he will be very successful as a Head Coach in the CFL. The Eskimos, like all CFL teams, have loads of talent. Football teams, as most of us agree, take on the personality of their Head Coach. In the case of the Eskimos, that seems to be very up and down in their performance. Much like their HC's emotions.

I would caution Kavis, in this regard. Emotions can be like a drug. Express them, vent them, and you give them life. Sometimes that life gets a bit too big, and you wish you could walk your actions and words back.

The venting itself is not so damaging to his team, it seems to me. But threatening your team publicly, or even privately, with consequences, is a desperation measure. That kind of stuff does not work well. This is especially so, because he cannot follow through on threats that would bench Sherritt (as BCFAN has noted) or McCarty, for example.

Is it just possible that the Eskimos uneven play, and undisciplined play, stem from the emotional leadership style of their HC? Dunno ... but maybe.

I kind of like Kavis Reed, as a personality. And he sure provides good copy for CFL fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/reed-shifts-focus ... e-gridiron
Reed shifts focus back to the gridiron

Posted: July 17, 2013 10:00 PM

CFL.ca Staff

EDMONTON -- Much like last week’s loss to the BC Lions, Kavis Reed would like to move on from his emotional post-game comments that made their fair share of rounds on the World Wide Web.

“It’s disappointing to lose football games and football is a game of emotions. We lost a very tough football game for the second consecutive time, obviously we are very disappointed,” he said.

“If you’re not disappointed in losing and losing in the way we have lost at home, I think we’re in the wrong business. And that’s what was conveyed…if it’s viral, hopefully it’s not catchy,” he added with a coy smile.

And with that, the focus in Edmonton was shifted towards the Eskimos’ Saturday night rematch with the same Lions squad that shoved Mother Nature aside en-route to a 17-3 win in monsoon-like conditions at Commonwealth Stadium.

This week, however, the Lions and Esks will square off in the warm and cozy confines of BC Place Stadium, a building that is generally unkind to visitors.

Nonetheless, Reed believes that his team will be ready regardless of the playing conditions.

“We have to make sure our football team understands that we are right in the thick of everything and we need to not be our own worst enemy,” he said.
That's better. Until the next time. :wink:
pennw
Legend

Never saw this one before. Just glad he's over there . Will he last past this season ?
Blitz
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Never saw this one before. Just glad he's over there . Will he last past this season ?
I remember his first pre-game speech of his HC career in Edmonton and it was juvenile. Reid is emotionally immature. He sulks, pouts, etc. way too often. The 'Eskimo Way' just hit a road bump. How will the players react? It will be interesting to see.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Hadn't seen that.

Lots of heads looking down.  Gheeez, Coach.

What say you?  Hmmmmm ... Get a grip.

Somewhere Kavis got the idea that being emotional and expressing a lot of emotion off the field leads to wins. IMO it does the opposite.

Teddy Roosevelt said:  "Speak softly, and carry a big stick."  Actions speak louder than words.

I assisted a coach who had played pro ball.  He said all that rah rah stuff just gets the dressing room banged up.  I saw it even with his team.  Kids pounding the walls and vents on the way out to the field.  LOL

Timely words, carefully chosen can inspire.  And just a few words.  Two or three ideas max.  

The emotion has to be part of the action on the field, and even there a calm mind is better, especially for the "skill" positions.  

However, IMO ... D Line:  Emotion can keep you alive.  LB:  Pursuit of prey.

QB.  Keep cool.

Receivers:  Keep cool, despite the melodrama that often goes with the stars of this position.

Running back:  Instinctual survival skills.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be interesting to see the Eskimos lineup and what the consequences were
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
That looks like an edited version of this speech, with some additional imagined thought balloon responses from some of the players. Is this where Matt Sekeres gets this trope? He often greets callers with it.

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That was pre- game?

That guy is a freaking loon - whacko, nut job.

Coaches don't motivate players by their pre game speeches. This guy played pro?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It turns out that this video clip on Reed's "What say you" pre-game speech was put on you tube Oct. 2012.

This longer 2:42 min version has been edited by someone to show what the players are thinking during the rant.

It 's hilarious.
zark
Champion

Aragorn was better.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So... any video of his post-game comments from last night? Checked cfl.ca, nada; esks.com, same. All I could find was the same 6-min video of game highlights on both sites and a Reed pre-game presser on the Esks site.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:So... any video of his post-game comments from last night? Checked cfl.ca, nada; esks.com, same. All I could find was the same 6-min video of game highlights on both sites and a Reed pre-game presser on the Esks site.
I haven't looked but there were 3 times during the TSN broadcast they went on about "consequences." Given that it was the Esks who put that video up apparently as the media didn't have it - the only consequences was likely someone who did that getting blasted for it. I think Reed has to tone it down a bit but who can tell him? Certainly his GM doesn't have any credibility there given what he says.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/campbell-reed ... ond-halves
Campbell: Reed, Esks look to re-write second halves

Posted: July 24, 2013 06:30 PM

Dave Campbell
CFL.ca

Football at any level is a game that is based on intensity and emotion.

Players practice more than they play and when game day rolls around, it’s a chance to let a week’s worth of nervous energy be unleashed on the opposition.

The Edmonton Eskimos have been left scratching their collective heads in the three of their first four games. In those three games, the Eskimos have allowed consecutive touchdowns to start the second half and have been outscored 42-12 in the third quarter so far this season.

It’s obvious you need execution to go along with the intensity to work in harmony.

Head coach Kavis Reed feels he’s seeing a pattern as to why his team is starting the second half slowly.

“The glaring thing that we (coaching staff) are starting to see is that we are going into halftime right in the games,” Reed said. “We start to deviate on both sides of the ball (in the third quarter) in terms of our technique. From a visual perspective, we are doing things by the numbers fairly similar but then you look at the actual plays, our technique tends to be a little bit different (in the third quarter). “

In the Eskimos last two losses to the B.C. Lions; they held a 3-1 lead at the half at Commonwealth Stadium only to get behind 15-3 in the third quarter. Last week in Vancouver, the game was tied 10-10. Out come the Lions in the third quarter and score two touchdowns to take a 24-10 lead. Even in the first game of the season, the Saskatchewan Roughriders scored two touchdowns to start the second half to take a 36-1 lead. Only in Guelph were the Eskimos able to hang on to their halftime lead as the beat the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 30-20 after holding a 16-13 lead at the half.

Reed says for some reason his players are not sticking to the game plan in the third quarter. Several players have said publically that they feel the Eskimos are coming out “flat” from an intensity standpoint.

Reed is noted for his famous inspirational speeches. He admits that perhaps he might have to change the message to his players.

“You tend to try at halftime from a coaches perspective to let it be more cerebral and not bring them down emotionally but don’t ask for a spike,” Reed explained. “Because they are going to make adjustments and you want the adjustments to soak in mentally. I will look at it. Hey, maybe it’s time to say something different to them to hopefully get them over the emotional edge.”

When asked about whether he felt the coaching staff is making the proper adjustments at the halftime, Reed says he’s very pleased with the way his staff have handled their adjustments. Reed is putting the onus squarely on his players to execute better.

The Lions seemed to have the better energy after halftime; they do a great job of rotating their defensive lineman for example and had great success against the Eskimos offensive line. Let’s face reality as well, the Lions are no slouches. They are not even close to being where the Eskimos are, they are a Grey Cup caliber team, not a re-building team.

For a young team, the tendency at times is they want things to happen the easy way. Veteran teams like the Lions know how to manufacture their high level of intensity. Those teams also know that its execution and understanding of what coaches call your “keys” that allow players to play the game with a certain edge and tenacity. You want a nasty offensive line? If they understand what the techniques, fundamentals, and their keys are, you’ll get a nasty offensive line because the execution part of the game is already in place.

Young football teams like the Eskimos need teaching moments and the hope is the club will get better as the season gets longer.

The path to success can be filled with painful moments.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/campbell-reed ... ond-halves
Head coach Kavis Reed feels he’s seeing a pattern as to why his team is starting the second half slowly.

“The glaring thing that we (coaching staff) are starting to see is that we are going into halftime right in the games,” Reed said. “We start to deviate on both sides of the ball (in the third quarter) in terms of our technique. From a visual perspective, we are doing things by the numbers fairly similar but then you look at the actual plays, our technique tends to be a little bit different (in the third quarter). “
"deviate in terms of our technique" Everything he says sounds funny.

"From a visual perspective, we are doing things by the numbers fairly similar but then you look at the actual plays, our technique tends to be a little bit different (in the third quarter).“

That one reminds of baseball manager Rocky Bridges: "We coached 'em good, but they sure did play bad." :wink:
Reed says for some reason his players are not sticking to the game plan in the third quarter. Several players have said publically that they feel the Eskimos are coming out “flat” from an intensity standpoint.
Coming out flat in the third quarters? I would love to hear Reed's halftime words. I suspect they have been counterproductive to the Eskimos' mental focus.
Reed is noted for his famous inspirational speeches. He admits that perhaps he might have to change the message to his players.

“You tend to try at halftime from a coaches perspective to let it be more cerebral and not bring them down emotionally but don’t ask for a spike,” Reed explained. “Because they are going to make adjustments and you want the adjustments to soak in mentally. I will look at it. Hey, maybe it’s time to say something different to them to hopefully get them over the emotional edge.”
"Inspirational speeches"? In his mind they are good. Not so sure the players think that.
“You tend to try at halftime from a coaches perspective to let it be more cerebral and not bring them down emotionally but don’t ask for a spike,” Reed explained.
Hmmm ... Cerebral? From what I saw, he was trying to jack them up emotionally. Forgeddaboud cerebral.

"not bring them down emotionally" Well it seems his speeches have that counterproductive effect.

Reed is pretty far outside the box as a coach, it seems to me. He makes great copy. Dunno if he is much good as a coach, but then if the Eskimos flounder, that is all good to me. I guess I have to thank Eric Tillman for giving Kavis Reed his "dream job," and giving us much entertainment value from Edmonton.

I actually have some sympathy for the suffering Eskimo fans. They were so high for so many years. And now they have been subjected to a kind of football humiliation for a few years.

Meanwhile, here in B.C., for 10 years during the Wally Buono regime, we have had relative peace, tranquility, emotional stability, and pretty dayum good football success. :thup: