60th season logo contest....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://bclions.com/logo60

Just spotted on bclions.com. Design a logo for the upcoming 60th season and win your season tickets (seasons card?)........

Lots of great prizes go to the winner (besides seeing your logo being used...). Deadline is coming up quick (Friday March 1, 2013)
woody
Champion

I'm sending one in this week ,hope the lions like it :cr:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

woody wrote:I'm sending one in this week ,hope the lions like it :cr:
Good luck, Woody but I'm sure yours will be awesome regardless.... I like a lot of the 'classic' logos so I think it takes courage to open it up to the fans to design a logo.
woody
Champion

Contest is over,did anyone here send one in?I did 2 versions of the same logo.One was with Leo the Lion and other a more classic looking lion,kinda of like there first logo but meaner looking.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good luck Woody. I certainly didn't bother as I think I have talents but logo design is not one of them, IMO. To tell you the truth I had kind of forgotten about this contest but I don't doubt a small group would have submitted. People who are into that kind of thing probably gave it a whirl even if they weren't football fans. Thats all the more reason why I hope you win. A Lions fan winning the logo contest... sounds good to me.
nonn
prospect

I sent one too. Don't know how i can vote. "During the contest period fans may vote for their favorite logo entry by following the instructions on the contest web site. "
notahomer
Hall of Famer

nonn wrote:I sent one too. Don't know how i can vote. "During the contest period fans may vote for their favorite logo entry by following the instructions on the contest web site. "
Hmmm, I mistakenly thought it was just the Lions execs who were voting but it appears you are right. Where this voting occurs? I don't know. I'll try and did around to find out. This is certainly one of those 'under the radar' type contests/concepts in my opinion. Ijust happened to click on the bclions.com site one day or I wouldn't have known.......
nonn
prospect

will post my after march 15th, nothing special very simple, but want to shear )
David
Team Captain

My idea is quite simple. Take the club's helmet logo from 1967-1977 and replace the "BC" with "60." It wouldn't take much modification as the letters are already rounded. Unfortunately though, I don't have Photoshop. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Something like this perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Something like this perhaps?
Bravo sj roc! That is exactly what I had in mind. :cheer:

Doubtful that that is what they're looking for in a logo design, but wouldn't that look cool as the official helmet decal for the upcoming year?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David, I know you're a fan of the '70s but that logo just looks old. If you're going to adapt a logo by changing the BC to a number 60, the current logo is a much better fit. (Sorry, I don't have any photoshop skills either.) It's modern yet has been around with only minor modifications for 30 years, which is half the club's history.

I also can't look at the No. 60 in a Lions' logo without thinking of Jamie Taras and Jason Jimenez, probably the two most famous Lions to wear that number. Taras will always be No. 60 to me.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The finalists have now been named and fan voting has opened (although the fans' choice is not necessarily binding from the sounds of it). Looks like someone applied David's BC->60 concept to the current logo, as that is basically the last finalist:

http://bclions.com/page/vote
Thanks to BC Lions fans from across the province, we had an overwhelming response of logo submissions for our 60th Season Logo Contest.

We have narrowed down our search and want our fans to give us feedback on some of the submissions that we received. The winning entry will be selected by a panel of judges and here is your chance to weigh in on the logo submission that will inspire the official 60th Season logo for your BC Lions.

Please note: As per contest rules and regulations, the logos displayed may not necessarily represent the winning entry that will be selected. In addition, the final logo selected may not be exactly as it appears and will be used to inspire our 60th season logo. [note to David: that means if #5 wins you might get your wish after all! — sj-r]
Finalist #1:

Finalist #2:

Finalist #3:

Finalist #4:

Finalist #5:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:David, I know you're a fan of the '70s but that logo just looks old. If you're going to adapt a logo by changing the BC to a number 60, the current logo is a much better fit. (Sorry, I don't have any photoshop skills either.) It's modern yet has been around with only minor modifications for 30 years, which is half the club's history.

I also can't look at the No. 60 in a Lions' logo without thinking of Jamie Taras and Jason Jimenez, probably the two most famous Lions to wear that number. Taras will always be No. 60 to me.
Does this mean *you're* finalist #5? LOL

To be honest it's my least favourite of the five as they've been presented. The way the 60 joins onto the lion head just looks a little too clumsy for my liking. It might look better with a bit of tweaking to make the join more seamless. Also now that I'm looking at it, the fact that it looks so much like the current one is actually a strike against it. It seems that an anniversary crest should have some contrast with the team default, to make it stand out on its own. It shouldn't be something that a casual viewer seeing it for only a glimpse might actually mistake for the regular one. That's not to diss David's concept as applied to the old logo, though — its original incarnation is so old that younger fans might not even be aware of its origin.
David
Team Captain

Wow. The selection committe is going to have its work cut out for themselves selecting a winner among that group. Kudos to those who submitted - absolutely outstanding. Finalist #1 is cool as it creatively styles a pennant - a very 'retro' item - into the province of BC. One might work a little less well than the others (but still very good). I'll keep that to myself as it might belong to someone on this board and I don't believe in shooting down someone's creative process.

Great job finalists! :rockin:

(I sure hope Woody is among the finalists!)

Roar, You Lions, Roar