2013 CFL free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Ricky Foley isn't keen to come back to the West Coast. Foley says he wants to stay with the Argos and has offered to take a pay cut. GM Jim Barker says he wants him back and has made a contract offer.
Ricky Foley wants to return to the Toronto Argonauts, and the free agent defensive end says he offered to take a pay cut.

His future with the Grey Cup champions remains unclear, however, with the CFL free agent market set to open Friday at noon. Foley, running back Chad Kackert and defensive back Evan McCollough are all eligible.

“Obviously I want to stay with the Argos and play in my hometown, but this is a cold-hearted business and it’s no longer up to me if I come back,” said Foley, 30. “I haven’t asked for a pay raise. I actually offered to take a pay cut to stay an Argo.”
Toronto Star article
They were the Grey Cup MVP and the game's top Canadian but the clock is ticking on whether running back Chad Kackert and defensive end Ricky Foley will re-sign with the Toronto Argonauts or test the CFL free-agent waters.

Argos general manager Jim Barker wants both players to help Toronto defend its crown and has made offers to them. But he says the ball is in their court now with the CFL's free-agent deadline of noon ET on Friday looming.

"I'm not a betting man," Barker said when asked what the odds were of Kackert and Foley becoming free agents. "You just don't know.

"Absolutely we'd like to have them both back and there have been offers made to them so we'll have to see.''
Canadian Press article

So what's taking so long for Foley to re-sign in Toronto? Perhaps after his three-sack season in Chris Jones's defence in 2012, Barker wants him to take more of a pay cut than Foley has been willing to accept.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Not too many quality offensive linemen free agents left. Lions would have to either trade for one or develop them
Pickings are extremely slim. Outside of Hameister-Reis and Newman there are only 4 left. What you're looking at is one 30 year old vet with around 20 career starts at LG who may not be interested in continuing his career. After that it's a journeyman and 2 relatively inexperienced backups.

Cedric Gagne-Marcoux (G - Argos) - only one with any significant amount of experience. He's 30, a native of Quebec and started at LG for the Argos for a couple years. Last year he started the first 4 games then slipped to a backup role. He doesn't show on their depth chart for the last half of the season. I'm assuming he must've been 9 gamed or languished on the inactive part of the the 46 man list. From October on to the end of the year. He's currently putting his degree in marketing to use with Labatts. Sounds like a guy maybe thinking it's time to move on to life after football.

Mark Dewit (G - Stamps) - he's bounced around a bit. He's 26. Started with Argos getting a 4 starts over his first two seasons (2008-09). Since then he seems to have plateaued. He was released by the Argos after 2010 TC. Hamilton picked him up. He was on their roster for 10 games in 2010 but didn't play. In 2011 he played in 9 games plus playoffs presumably as backup. He went to Calgary in the Burris trade. I think he dressed most of the year as a backup. Looks to have career journeyman backup written all over him.

Dylan Steenbergen (T -Esks) - drafted 7th overall by Montreal 2009. He's 25. Traded to Edmonton in 2011 for 2 6th round picks. Played 4 games as a backup in Esk in 2011. Played 11 games last season starting 7. Spent 3 games on DL and another couple on the reserve list. For whatever it's worth the armchair QBs in Esksfans.com haven't exactly been glowing in their assessment of his abilities or potential. That Montreal who gets many accolades here for how they develop OL would draft him 7th overall in 2009 and move him for only 2 6th rounders 18 months later may be an indication.

Alexander Krausnick-Groh (C - Riders) - drafted 4th rd 27th overall by Saskatchewan in 2011. Turns 24 in 3 weeks. Perhaps the most intriguing from a BC perspective as a potential Angus Reid replacement. He did play centre for 2 years at U of Calgary. He dressed for 18 games in 2011 as a backup OL. After the Riders beefed up their OL for 2012 with FA signings he saw less time being dressed for only 12 games.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Well colour me surprised:
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Paris Jackson signs an extension with #BCLions. 1 year + option. Gets a raise too & presumably a larger role. #CFLonTSN
:thup: :thup: :thup:

After the kick to the nuts with Geroy wanting to be traded, I really wanted Paris to retire a Lion.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well colour me surprised:
Paris Jackson signs an extension with #BCLions. 1 year + option. Gets a raise too & presumably a larger role. #CFLonTSN

After the kick to the nuts with Geroy wanting to be traded, I really wanted Paris to retire a Lion.

That's a surprise given that he wanted to try the free agency
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well colour me surprised:

Great, great news. One of my all time favourites. Very happy about this.

Way to go, Paris. :thup: Good work, Wally. :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally is impressed with Paris's physical condition. Apparently he's 20 or 30 pounds lighter and in the best physical shape in years after struggling with knee injuries. He is looking for a bigger role on the field and off as a mentor to the younger receivers.
“I’ve really been impressed over the last year and a half how Paris has grown as a leader and a person,” Buono said. “And I haven’t seen him look as good physically as he is now in probably four years. He’s under 210 (pounds). He’s sleek, motivated and driven. Usually, he’s closer to 230 or 240 at this point of the year. He’s healthier than he’s been for a while. And, hopefully, a healthy Paris can help us to win and make a contribution on the field. If we need somebody to be a leader (after Simon’s departure), hopefully he can take up the baton.”
Mike Beamish article

Good for Paris. With Gore, Iannuzzi, Foster, PJack and Godding available at receiver, the Lions have enough non-import depth to change the ratio if needed.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At the age of 32, Jackson has a couple of years ahead of him.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Wally is impressed with Paris's physical condition. Apparently he's 20 or 30 pounds lighter and in the best physical shape in years after struggling with knee injuries. He is looking for a bigger role on the field and off as a mentor to the younger receivers.
“I’ve really been impressed over the last year and a half how Paris has grown as a leader and a person,” Buono said. “And I haven’t seen him look as good physically as he is now in probably four years. He’s under 210 (pounds). He’s sleek, motivated and driven. Usually, he’s closer to 230 or 240 at this point of the year. He’s healthier than he’s been for a while. And, hopefully, a healthy Paris can help us to win and make a contribution on the field. If we need somebody to be a leader (after Simon’s departure), hopefully he can take up the baton.”
Mike Beamish article

Good for Paris. With Gore, Iannuzzi, Foster, PJack and Godding available at receiver, the Lions have enough non-import depth to change the ratio if needed.

I think this is excellent news...Paris was at the top of his game when he hurt his knee and chose to play through it now almost 4 years ago...since then, he has been essentially on the shelf healing...so to that extent, PJ is a young 32 and should still have lots of game in him...I can see PJ easily becoming that 6th WR and a back up to EVERY position...this decision will set back Keith Godding's opportunities, but the Lions have a WIN NOW roster, and this move fits it. Its nice to have PJ playing his entire career as a Lion, and now, once more, in a productive capacity.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

It appears the Lions are highly interested in NI DL Brian Bulcke.
Roar you Lions roar!
dfootball
Rookie

Solomon Elimimian is an available free agent in the CFL.

Elimimian's agent confirmed to TSN's Dave Naylor that the 26-year-old LB will be looking to sign a CFL deal this week.

It was previously reported that the former CFL All-Star had an agreement with the NFL's Cleveland Browns, and while Elimimian's agent says an opportunity still exists with the Browns, his client has decided instead to pursue a CFL job.

Elimimian spent time with the Minnesota Vikings and Browns last off-season before returning to the Lions midway through the year.

Elimimian lost playing time in BC to Adam Bighill, who proved to be a more than capable replacement, but should find a starting job during the CFL free agency period.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=416056

I do not think there is any room for the lions to sighn him, but finally he has come to his senses and wants to play
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Korey Banks staying as well with his contract extension today. :beauty:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
cromartie
Hall of Famer

A smart decision on his part. That said, I don't think he'll be back. If he is, that's great. If he isn't, all the best, of course, except when he plays us.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Wally opened the vault to sign Elimimian.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
BREAKING - #Lions have agreed to terms on a contract with LB Solomon Elimimian.
Minutes before free agency started - gm Wally Buono stepped up to the plate with a new and improved offer.
Elimimian gets 1 year deal plus an option - gets huge raise and stays and play where he wanted to stay all along.
Just talked with Elimimian who is very excited to be back in B.C. Says Wally stepped up big time.
Elimimian says face to face talk with Buono last week that really helped. A man-to-man talk with gm and he didn't want to leave town.
Elimimian says the goal was always to re-sign in B.C but had to check out the market. Says his family very happy he signed with Lions.
Never seen Buono buck up financially for a player like he did today for Elimimian. Triples his salary.
squishy35
Legend

@News1130Sports: BREAKING - #Lions have agreed to terms on a contract with LB Solomon Elimimian. #CFL #BCLions

Beat me to it.....

this is great news for the depth chart...... who knows...... Potential trade if his productivity is amazing again, other teams weak at LB, (Riders) may want to come knocking on Wally's door later in the season....
South Pender
Legend

Wow! Will we see a 30 defense this season? Bighill and Elimimian in the middle, McKenzie and Reddick on the outside, and three guys up front?

Something of a surprise re Elimimian given the very-recent issue with his knee.