Dan Hawkins, Head Coach of the Alouettes ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
274always wrote:according to JC in an interview given to the french press he felt that it was very late in the off season for him to commit to another team than the lions. awwww isn't that sweet? he loves you guys That much. :wink:
That's a lame excuse. If you aspire to be a head coach some day (and Chap wants to be the head honcho) you go when the opportunity comes knocking. You may never get another chance.
Agree. You also go for the experience as did Mark Washington.

Also to make this statement as this was done is to say Popp is in the glue which he might be here if he doesn't pull another rabbit out of the coaching hat and get a good won. He also has his owner in the process and if the last two coaches - Matthews and Trestman are what the owner is using as the standard - yikes - that's tough.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/reports-als- ... -1.1156896

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Complete and utter joke. Good luck with that one.
274always
All Star

cromartie wrote:http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/reports-als- ... -1.1156896

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Complete and utter joke. Good luck with that one.
This is Division I Canadian Football!!!!!! This ain't inter-murals!!!!!! :wink:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:
Disaster.

The only question is, whether it's a Darryl Rogers level disaster or a Jeff Reinebold level disaster.

Don't get me wrong. The roster is good enough that you may enjoy a Switzer Effect. But FSM help you if Calvillo just decides to up and retire.

Enjoy.

I know I did. This game in particular.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Reports: Als have hired Dan Hawkins as coach

Published Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013 1:58PM EST

The Montreal Alouettes have reportedly hired Dan Hawkins as their new coach.

Hawkins has been the head football coach for several American schools, including Willamette University, Boise State University, and the University of Colorado.

Most recently he has been a studio analyst for ESPN.

The team will not confirm the appointment, but Montreal Gazette Football Insider Herb Zurkowsky said he has been told by a source of the hiring.

Hawkins's record at Colorado was less-than-stellar, and for the past few months his name has been touted for head coaching positions of the UTEP Miners, San Jose State, and his alma mater Texas A&M.

The rumor mill is also offering up Mike Miller as the offensive co-ordinator for the Als. Miller -- not to be confused with the defensive back for the Edmonton Eskimos -- has been with the Arizona Cardinals since 2007, first as wide receiver coach and later as offensive co-ordinator.

Last month former head coach Marc Trestman left the Alouettes to become the head coach of the NFL's Chicago Bears.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
274always wrote:
Disaster.

The only question is, whether it's a Darryl Rogers level disaster or a Jeff Reinebold level disaster.

Don't get me wrong. The roster is good enough that you may enjoy a Switzer Effect. But FSM help you if Calvillo just decides to up and retire.

Enjoy.

I know I did. This game in particular.
19-39 at Colorado. However he was 53-11 at Boise State prior to that and 40-11-1 at NAIA Div II Williamette before that. Given how Popp was mocked for hiring Trestman I think I'll wait awhile before passing judgement should Hawkins actually be hired. Right now it's been reported by CTV but not TSN. Popp is apparently refuting the reports.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
274always
All Star

It's already on wikipedia and my ticket sales rep already confirmed it. With Mike Miller as an OC I think Dan will be well surrounded.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It looks like this is done.

MIght as well give it its own thread. If it falls through, we move/merge this thread.

Wiki ...
Dan Hawkins (American football)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan Hawkins

Title
Head Coach

Team
Montreal Alouettes

November 10, 1960 (age 52)
Fall River Mills, California

Playing career

1978–1980
1981–1982
Siskiyous CC
UC Davis

Position(s)
Fullback

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1983–1985
1986–1987
1988–1991
1993–1997
1998–2000
2001–2005
2006–2010
2013-present
UC Davis (assistant)
Christian Brothers HS (CA)
Siskiyous CC (OC)
Sonoma State (DC)
Willamette
Boise State (assistant)
Boise State
Colorado
Montreal Alouettes

Head coaching record

Overall
112–61–1 (college)

Bowls
2–3

Tournaments
4–2 (NAIA playoffs)
Statistics
College Football Data Warehouse

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
3 NWC (1995–1997)
4 WAC (2002–2005)
Awards
2x WAC Coach of the Year

Dan Hawkins (born November 10, 1960) is the current head coach of the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. He served as the head football coach at Willamette University, Boise State University, and the University of Colorado, compiling a career college football record of 112–61–1. Hawkins used to work as a studio analyst for college football with ESPN before accepting the head coach position with the Montreal Alouettes on February 14th 2013.[1]

Contents
[hide] 1 Education and early positions
2 Head coaching career 2.1 Willamette
2.2 Boise State
2.3 Colorado
2.4 Montreal Alouettes

3 Personal life
4 Head coaching record 4.1 College

5 Notes
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Education and early positions

Hawkins grew up in Bieber, California, in the northeast corner of the state. [2] He attended junior college at College of the Siskiyous in Weed and transferred to UC Davis, where he played fullback,[1] and earned a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1984. He later completed a master’s degree in educational administration from St. Mary's College in 1993.

He began his coaching career at UC Davis under coach Jim Sochor the fall before he graduated, spending three years there (1983–1985). He then served as head coach at Christian Brothers High School in Sacramento for the 1986 and 1987 seasons. He spent four seasons (1988–1991) as the offensive coordinator at the College of the Siskiyous, then served as defensive coordinator at Sonoma State in 1992.

[edit] Head coaching career

[edit] Willamette

In 1993, Hawkins became the head coach at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon, and led the Bearcats to a 40–11–1 overall record (.779) in five seasons. In his final season Willamette was 13–1, falling 14–7 in the 1997 NAIA Division II National Championship Game.

On February 14, 2013, Hawkins became the head coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, after former Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman went to the NFL.

[edit] Boise State

Hawkins moved up to NCAA Division I-A football at Boise State in 1998 as an assistant under first-year head coach Dirk Koetter. After three seasons, Koetter accepted the head coaching job at Arizona State, and Hawkins was promoted from assistant head coach to head coach on December 2, 2000. In 2004, Hawkins was honored with his second Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Coach of the Year title in three years. Through the 2005 season, he compiled a 53–11 record (.828) in five seasons as Boise State's head coach, including a 37–3 record (.925) in WAC competition with four straight WAC titles. Only Walter Camp, George Washington Woodruff and Bob Pruett had more total wins in their first five years of head coaching. He holds a 31–game WAC winning streak, the longest in conference history.[3] One of his first hires at Boise State was Chris Petersen as his offensive coordinator; Petersen was a quarterback at UC Davis while Hawkins was an assistant coach, and was the wide receivers coach at Oregon under head coach Mike Bellotti. Petersen succeeded Hawkins as head coach following the 2005 season, when Hawkins departed for Colorado.

[edit] Colorado

Hawkins was introduced as head football coach at the University of Colorado on December 16, 2005.[4] Hawkins was signed to a five-year contract paying him $900,000 annually with incentives totaling to $1.5 million.[5] Hawkins took over the Colorado football program from Gary Barnett, who had spent some of his tenure mired in controversy.

Hawkins earned national attention in February 2007 during the National Signing Day press conference. He passionately expressed his disappointment in the attitude of a player's parent who had anonymously complained about the reduction in the players' time off before the summer conditioning program started, famously saying "It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals! You've got two weeks after finals. You've got a week at July 4th. You've got a week before camp starts. That's a month! That's probably more vacation than you guys (reporters) get. And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks? Go play intramurals, brother. Go play intramurals."[6]

Prior to the 2009 season, Hawkins, under fire for his performance at Colorado thus far, publicly pledged "ten wins no excuses". The team ended that year with a 3–9 record. On November 26, 2009, Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn announced that Hawkins would return as head football coach for the 2010 season, despite an overall record at Colorado of 16–33.

On November 6, 2010, Colorado blew a 28-point fourth quarter lead over the Kansas Jayhawks and lost, 52–45, the biggest collapse in the 121-year history of Colorado football.[7] While still nursing that large lead in the fourth quarter, Hawkins continued to have his team throw the ball on offense instead of running out the clock, allowing Kansas time to mount its comeback. There has been widespread suspicion Hawkins made that choice because he was more concerned about his quarterback, son Cody Hawkins, breaking the school's all-time passing record than winning the game.[8]

After the Kansas loss, Hawkins was criticized for cutting his contractually-obligated post-game interview with radio station KOA short after just two questions and 27 seconds. After the interviewer asked him why Colorado didn't run the ball more to protect their shrinking lead, he dismissively replied, "We were playing football moving it both ways. A tough day. Thanks, guys."[9]

Hawkins was fired by the University of Colorado on November 9, 2010.[10] He was making approximately $1.5 million a year including incentives and base salary; his buyout was approximately $2 million.[7]

[edit] Montreal Alouettes

Hawkins will perhaps become the head coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, after former Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman went to the NFL.

[edit] Personal life

Hawkins is married to the former Misti Rae Ann Hokanson, a registered nurse. They are the parents of four grown children, daughters Ashley and Brittany, and sons Cody [11] and Drew, former Boise state quarterback.[12]

[edit] Head coaching record

[edit] College

Year

Team

Overall

Conference

Standing

Bowl/playoffs

Coaches#

AP°

Willamette Bearcats (Northwest Conference) (1993–1997)
1993 Willamette 5–4 3–2
1994 Willamette 7–2 4–1 2nd
1995 Willamette 6–2–1 4–0–1 1st
1996 Willamette 9–2 5–0 1st L NAIA Division II Quarterfinal
1997 Willamette 13–1 5–0 1st L NAIA Division II Championship
Willamette: 40–11–1 21–3–1
Boise State Broncos (Western Athletic Conference) (2001–2005)
2001 Boise State 8–4 6–2 2nd
2002 Boise State 12–1 8–0 1st W Humanitarian 12 15
2003 Boise State 13–1 8–0 1st W Fort Worth 15 16
2004 Boise State 11–1 8–0 1st L Liberty 13 12
2005 Boise State 9–4 7–1 T–1st L MPC Computers
Boise State: 53–11 37–3
Colorado Buffaloes (Big 12 Conference) (2006–2010)
2006 Colorado 2–10 2–6 5th (North)
2007 Colorado 6–7 4–4 3rd (North) L Independence
2008 Colorado 5–7 2–6 T–4th (North)
2009 Colorado 3–9 2–6 5th (North)
2010 Colorado 3–6[n 1] 0–5[n 1] 5th (North)
Colorado: 19–39 10–27
Total: 112–61–1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Normally I would just say that I respect the abilility of Jim Popp, who also went outside the box for Marc Trestman.

But cromartie, whose opinion I respect, has spoken against the hiring of Dan Hawkins. So I will just reserve judgment.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:It's already on wikipedia and my ticket sales rep already confirmed it. With Mike Miller as an OC I think Dan will be well surrounded.
The exact same line of reasoning I hear from Browns fans about their hire. "Well, he'll bring great assistants."

If you judge a HC by the assistants around him, rather than his own merits, you don't really have much of a case.

But hey, I'm wrong on occasion. I certainly don't hate the Als as a franchise. Because they aren't the primary team in a town that is not geared toward sports in general (and don't take that personally, I'd say the same thing about a dozen other cities), the Als need to win to put behinds in the seats. Once the Switzer Effect wears off, I'll have real concerns.

That said, do you know how badly you have to screw up a Division I athletic department to leave them too poor to fire you?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Normally I would just say that I respect the abilility of Jim Popp, who also went outside the box for Marc Treastman.

But cromartie, whose opinion I respect, has spoken against the hiring of Dan Hawkins. So I will just reserve judgment.
While this certainly won't impress the Als faithful any! Even Kent Austin struggled last year at Cornell although the Buff run was more seasons than one. Is there something that made it hard to get players to the Boulder campus? Recruiting issues? I have no idea.
Hawkins went 19-39 as the Colorado head coach without a winning season in his five years at the University. Equally dissapointing was Hawk's Big 12 conference play record going 10-27 since arriving in Boulder. He will be remembered for many things none of which center around winning football games. When he arrived on campus, he was energetic, engaging and had the ability to make you believe he was going to turn things around. Five years later, the coach changed. The fire was gone, the energy a distant memory and when he talked, he failed to make the fans believe he was the right man for the job.
I too am reserving judgment if this is true simply because Jim Popp has only hired 2 HCs since the team was in Baltimore as the Stallions with Don Matthews followed by Marc Trestman. Popp did take over for Don Matthews mid 2007 as we now know what the health issues were for DM - quite sad.
Matthews led the Als to an 8-6-0 record in 2006 before stepping aside for health reasons in the second half of the 2006 season. Popp took over coaching duties once again and led the Als all the way to the Grey Cup - a 25-14 loss to the Lions at Winnipeg's Canad Inns Stadium. The game was somewhat controversial as at a key moment, Montreal's Chip Cox returned a fumble by BC quarterback Dave Dickenson that would have given the Als a lead. The officials deemed, however, that Dickenson was down by contact despite replays that showed that he clearly and undisputably fumbled the ball.
2007 - 2008

Popp remained as the Als' coach in 2007 as the team finished 8-10-0 and third in the East before he brought in Marc Trestman to take over coaching duties in 2008 so that he could focus on scouting talent.

Trestman turned out to be nothing short of a revelation, bringing the Als back to first place in the East with a, 11-7-0 mark as a rookie head coach in '08. Montreal made it all the way to the Grey Cup once again, falling 22-14 to the Stampeders in front of 66,308 fans at Olympic Stadium - the second-largest crowd in the game's history.
http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/history_history

I read that the owner is very involved in the HC choice with MTL but something tells me that I'd not be the first at the window betting on Popp's HC failing - despite it being tough to learn the CFL game and some of the US coaches don't as we know. Also tough if your OC has no CFL experience.

Everyone makes a bad personnel decision at least once in their career will this be Popp's first HC choice that doesn't work? We shall see.

Popp possesses extremely good acumen on his HC and players.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Given Jim Popp's record, I wouldn't throw Hawkins under the bus just yet
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:I too am reserving judgment if this is true simply because Jim Popp has only hired 2 HCs since the team was in Baltimore as the Stallions with Don Matthews followed by Marc Trestman. .
This isn't quite true. The Stallions moved to Montreal after the 1995 season. Popp has been the GM since the migration north in 1996. Matthews coached the Stallions in their two season in Baltimore but wouldn't coach the Larks until 2002 thru 2006. Let's not forget that during the first 2 years of this most recent incarnation of the Alouettes that "The Don" was busy coaching the Argos to the back-to-back Grey Cup championships in 1996 & 1997. He'd move on to coach the Eskimos in 1999-2000 before his first Alouette gig. If Popp was responsible for the hiring of the Montreal HCs then he hired a lot more than just Matthews in Trestman. Als coaches since 1995:

Bob Price (1996)
Dave Ritchie (1997–1998)
Charlie Taaffe (1999–2000)
Rod Rust (2001)
Jim Popp (2001)
Don Matthews (2002–2006)
Jim Popp (2006–2007)
Marc Trestman (2008–2012)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Bob Price (1996)
Dave Ritchie (1997–1998)
Charlie Taaffe (1999–2000)
Rod Rust (2001)
Jim Popp (2001)
Don Matthews (2002–2006)
Jim Popp (2006–2007)
Marc Trestman (2008–2012)
Charlie Taaffe was a really good hire, I thought, and it's a shame they couldn't keep him.

Rod Rust was a 1-15 level disaster as a head coach of the Patriots that Popp decided he could rehabilitate. Once the Switzer effect of a 9-2 start wore off, Popp had to come in and clean up his own mess. So it's not like Als fans haven't been down this road before.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Popp is a smart guy, so I wouldn't judge the Hawkins hire...and remember his time at Colorado came right after they were hit massively with recruiting violations, and lost the ability to attract kids from around the country to their school the same way they had in the past.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein