Dan Hawkins, Head Coach of the Alouettes ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:Maciocia has also said 'no' to the alouettes as per Moe Khan on twitter.

In other als news, Trent Guy, Adrian McPherson and Brian Bratton have been released.
Maciocia is doing well at Montreal, no? It strikes me that if he ever comes back, it'll be in a situation where he ru(i)ns the show, looking to prove his lack of success in Edmonton was a fluke.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if McPherson is going to wind up in Winnipeg
274always
All Star

Probably.

Pierre Vercheval has been approached by the als for the assistant GM job. If he refuses let it not be said that the als didn't try to hire any french-speaking folk. Mathieu Proulx already said 'no'.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised at the number of people that has indicated no interest in the Als vacancies.
274always
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:I'm surprised at the number of people that has indicated no interest in the Als vacancies.
According to the Journal de Montréal the HC selection process could take another two weeks. Popp will sort of act as interim HC while we wait. It's not like this team isn't already complete. Calvillo,Messam,Lavoie in the backfield and Green,Richardson,Bruce and London in the receiving corps makes for a pretty potent offence.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I'm surprised at the number of people that has indicated no interest in the Als vacancies.
It is good publicity too to have it out there you were approached like in Mark Washington's case. In Mark's case he likely knew it was a long flight (based on his interviews in the media after) and a long shot for him to go to the HC's role with MTL where this GM has hired so few HCs since Baltimore! Washington's post interview comments showed that he saw this as a good experience and part of his learning. Next time he could be ready and that experience as well as keeping open the relationship with Jim Popp could pay dividends.

I ended up with a 25 year career and leaving as an exec because I was interviewed by another firm who did not hire me but the VP there recommended me to this other firm. When I got to the interview it was less an interview than a getting to know me as that VP in the other firm had really sold me to these guys. That VP was not the guy who didn't hire me but his senior manager seemed quite threatened by me so it was best I not take that job. A funny aside: I get to the 1 pm interview early and was sitting in the waiting room when the VP who knew me from the MBA program I was in made me go in his freaking office where he served me coffee. I resisted but had no choice. When the interviewing manager arrived he called that guy in and placed the kiss of death on application by asking the guy to join us and that I was his friend!! The guy said no and the interview was not so good. One question: How long will u stay in this job before you exercise the leverage on your MBA? I said I was meeting him now to do that...lol.

I am a bit surprised that Jacque C. said no to even an interview as he felt he could not put a team of assistants together at this late stage. He should have gone to the interview for the learning experience and practice to hear what owners and the GM are looking for and not dumped on them (inadvertently) for not having a HC this late in the year.

Who knows. Ottawa GM asks Popp for some coaching candidates or some other team in the next year. Popp then pushes how Washington impresses him and who knows. JC's name is asked. Popp says he does not know but notes how JC turned him done for an interview.

These GMs do speak behind the scenes and share perceptions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: It is good publicity too to have it out there you were approached like in Mark Washington's case. In Mark's case he likely knew it was a long flight (based on his interviews in the media after) and a long shot for him to go to the HC's role with MTL where this GM has hired so few HCs since Baltimore! Washington's post interview comments showed that he saw this as a good experience and part of his learning. Next time he could be ready and that experience as well as keeping open the relationship with Jim Popp could pay dividends.

I ended up with a 25 year career and leaving as an exec because I was interviewed by another firm who did not hire me but the VP there recommended me to this other firm. When I got to the interview it was less an interview than a getting to know me as that VP in the other firm had really sold me to these guys. That VP was not the guy who didn't hire me but his senior manager seemed quite threatened by me so it was best I not take that job. A funny aside: I get to the 1 pm interview early and was sitting in the waiting room when the VP who knew me from the MBA program I was in made me go in his freaking office where he served me coffee. I resisted but had no choice. When the interviewing manager arrived he called that guy in and placed the kiss of death on application by asking the guy to join us and that I was his friend!! The guy said no and the interview was not so good. One question: How long will u stay in this job before you exercise the leverage on your MBA? I said I was meeting him now to do that...lol.

I am a bit surprised that Jacque C. said no to even an interview as he felt he could not put a team of assistants together at this late stage. He should have gone to the interview for the learning experience and practice to hear what owners and the GM are looking for and not dumped on them (inadvertently) for not having a HC this late in the year.

Who knows. Ottawa GM asks Popp for some coaching candidates or some other team in the next year. Popp then pushes how Washington impresses him and who knows. JC's name is asked. Popp says he does not know but notes how JC turned him done for an interview.

These GMs do speak behind the scenes and share perceptions.
Well, Toppy, JC may not have felt he had a legitimate chance at the job. In that case, why go? JC has already been through the Edmonton situation where he was pretty much anointed the successor to Maciocia on his hiring as OC.

Popp knows what he is doing, but this year is very unusual even for him. Trestman was also hired late I seem to recall. I am a bit surprised that Popp did not have Plan B already set up, a successor in place. And of course Popp can take the reins for a while if necessary, as he has done in the past. Nevertheless Montreal is in a strange place coaching wise. Talent wise they should be fine, especially with Calvillo at the helm.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps Popp wanted to interview Chapdelaine, Washington and others for their opinions on the Als perceived weaknesses. Conspiracy theory.
274always
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps Popp wanted to interview Chapdelaine, Washington and others for their opinions on the Als perceived weaknesses. Conspiracy theory.
or as a facade to show the community they're trying to hire someone either french or in cfl circles.

i wonder if montreal will be as 'horny for zorny' as redskin nation once was.
JohnHenry
Champion

David wrote:LU reported again yesterday that receivers coach Travis Moore remains doubtful to return as he pursues another opportunity. He was rather vague on details as to why he wants to leave (i.e. better opportunity, not happy in BC, didn't agree with Geroy and Arland leaving....). I am guessing the first one, but one never knows.

DH :cool:
I guess T. Moore's better opportunity is with the Esks. He was hired as their receiver's coach today, reuniting with Mike Reilly.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps Popp wanted to interview Chapdelaine, Washington and others for their opinions on the Als perceived weaknesses. Conspiracy theory.
That is very true too. They listen as much as the candidate talks in some cases if the candidate is some one from their league.

Mark Washington went to get experience at that level.

Reasons that you don't pull a Jacque Chap and don't go if invited:

1. If you are from the CFL just the preparation and outline of how you see the challenge and how'd you go about the role - how you'd prioritize, assemble a staff and what you'd look will help you the next time you go to a HC interview.

2. Just like a QB gets better with good prep and chances to show case skills, so do job candidates. Many of us have no doubt done either a job interview or media interview or a presentation that you had to rush to prep for and felt that if you could go right back in there an hour later and do it again how much better you'd be.

3. You build a relationship with a GM of another team who could hire you then or later or when another team calls - he recommends you.

4. You see what a GM is looking for and under fire of an interview. QBs can only prep in practice so much then it has to get real - just like a job applicant.

5. You show other teams who might be looking in the future you're ready in the eyes of others.

Mark Washington and his post interview comments show he is thoughtful like Benevides was when he turned down the Argos. No doubt he sized that job up and felt that at that time it was not worth the risk as that team sucked whereas no doubt he felt he had a chance with Wally.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
274always
All Star

according to JC in an interview given to the french press he felt that it was very late in the off season for him to commit to another team than the lions. awwww isn't that sweet? he loves you guys That much. :wink:

two new candidates 'popped up' on Jim's radar. Bob bratkowski former jags OC and Terry Robiskie falcons' receiver coach
cromartie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:according to JC in an interview given to the french press he felt that it was very late in the off season for him to commit to another team than the lions. awwww isn't that sweet? he loves you guys That much. :wink:

two new candidates 'popped up' on Jim's radar. Bob bratkowski former jags OC and Terry Robiskie falcons' receiver coach
Not improvements from Zorn or Hawkins. Keep looking.
274always
All Star

cromartie wrote:
274always wrote:according to JC in an interview given to the french press he felt that it was very late in the off season for him to commit to another team than the lions. awwww isn't that sweet? he loves you guys That much. :wink:

Not improvements from Zorn or Hawkins. Keep looking.
als are giving themselves no more than 10 days to announce the winner. that's what they're saying for now anyway...... :cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's a lame excuse. If you aspire to be a head coach some day (and Chap wants to be the head honcho) you go when the opportunity comes knocking. You may never get another chance.