Welcome back Jarious!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I never understood when Wally dumped Kruck and went with JC as QB coach. The Receivers can be far more active during training than QBs and it makes more sense to keep a QB coach. Also JC was a REC. Were the Lions happy with the work of Travis Moore? I have no idea.
Please place a disclaimer when you refer to JC as a receiver, it brings back woeful memories. :ref:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I never understood when Wally dumped Kruck and went with JC as QB coach. The Receivers can be far more active during training than QBs and it makes more sense to keep a QB coach. Also JC was a REC. Were the Lions happy with the work of Travis Moore? I have no idea.
Please place a disclaimer when you refer to JC as a receiver, it brings back woeful memories. :ref:
You and me both :wink:
korey&dante4ever
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
You and me both :wink:
Could someone fill me in on this. That drop by JC was before my time. I have never seen footage of it. All I know is that my Dad says it was a tougher catch than most people make it out to be. Thanks.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

He could be right but for most of us he was wide open. I can envision the play roughly but that was a long time ago and your dad might be right - but tell that to fans... haha.

It wasn't quite this type of play where he kicks the ball and channels his inner George Cortez with his offense but... it was a drop.

This is what didn't help Cortez make it as a HC. He said as a HC he wasn't going to change and it sure didn't help him make it. This and his awkward communication style kind of like Freddy the Fog Shero makes me wonder if he could pull off a Mike B and become a HC with the right demeanor and approach to the job as the role is not the same as an OC or DC.

Jackson I see feels he had the fire to play even more but is giving that up to get into coaching. With Ottawa coming on stream there will be more coaching jobs and he might be the type of person who has the ability to be a HC with a plan.

Here's a thread on this JC discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12453&start=15

I do take the Hugh Campbell view that he told to Esk FG Kicker Dave Cutler who missed a short one in BC to lose a game and he said: 'Never be so arrogant to think one player or one play wins or loses a football game.' I agree with this thinking.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
274always
All Star

Too bad Jarious never got to throw a TD pass in a grey cup game for the leos.

what he'll say when he meets travis again: 'miss me loser?' :wink:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:Too bad Jarious never got to throw a TD pass in a grey cup game for the leos.
But as mentioned before, he has a unique honour of being the only Lions QB so far to win TWO Grey Cups as a Lion.
May he win a third Lion Grey Cup ring (fourth overall) as a staff member now.

And he follows a list of former Lions QB's (Joe Kapp, Joe Paopao, Danny Barrett) who later on went to serve as a coach/staff member of the Lions. And none of those three did all that well in that capacity, so may Jarious break that trend.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Jarious Jackson has been released by the Argos and reportedly coming back to BC to become the Lions' QB coach. I think many of us felt when JJ left for Hogtown last year there was likely a standing offer of a coaching position in BC when he hung up his cleats.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/jackson-relea ... hing-staff
Thanks Hammy,

Only Lulay and Gore's re-signing thrills me more than the return of JJ himself, (we always knew it was what was best for him, and our club always).

Lions assets of the past are are reforming, and congealing around the center of what seems to be a brilliant future for our youthful endeavor.

What should happen next is for Geroy to return to our great franchise after next season, to coach our receivers how to transcend themselves into icons like Milt and himself!

Gratitude to Wally for his insights for our football club future...

I know, to him its just all bussiness right?
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

The addition of Jarious Jackson to our coaching staff triggers a number of thoughts:

~Jarious Jackson is highly respected by Leos players from Travis Lulay to Paul McCallum etc. When you are not a starting quarterback and still voted team captain by your teammates is a reflection of Jackson's leadership skills.

~We needed a quarterbacks coach more than we needed a receivers coach. Chapdelaine is a former receivers coach. With unproven backups needing to be developed and Travis Lulay benefitting from an experienced mentor this offensive structure makes more sense.

~Travis Lulay was very happy about the decision and Jarious will push him. There are still a number of areas of Travis' game that can improve...from quick reading blitzes to his long ball to leading receivers more. Lulay made excellent strides in those areas last season but can only benefit from more coaching. Chap, as a play caller, does very little communicating with his offensive players in games. My hope would be that Jarious could be on the sidelines during games but our Leos will also need a spotter and that hasn't been Dorazio in the past nor Kelly Bates so it will be interesting to see who spots for us this season (likely Jarious)

~It seems that no assistant can work with the JC/Dorazio combination for any length of time. Travis Moore did a great job here in working with our receivers. My hope would have been to keep Moore and also hire Jarious but our Leos did not choose to budget for this scenario (but we could afford two offensive line coaches in 2010)

~Jarious is a great fit, not only because he is intelligent and respected but he also knows our offensive system very well, which is an advantage, as well as having a great rapport with Lulay.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)