Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This is big news. Even my friends who are not CFL fans are talking about Geroy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Interesting words from LU about how everything wasn't quite as harmonious and peachy between the four walls of the locker room as one would be led to believe:
Lowell Ullrich wrote:The spin from the Lions is that they might eventually be better off without Simon, having cut a player a year too early as opposed to one too late. They’ve used that line of logic before of course. The suggestion from some in the organization was that Simon didn’t always represent grace within the locker room, and it could be stated that reporters indeed did hear their share of quiet complaints by the receiver because the quarterback of the day couldn’t get him the ball enough.
I don't know if this is fair to Geroy though. He's a competitive guy and, as will most elite athletes in their sport, he has a fairly healthy ego. However, superstars really need one to achieve their status.

Interesting comments though.

DH :cool:
Dangerous territory. Venturing in: On Geroy's behalf, I will say that, for a superstar, for a receiver, for a city icon, for a totally dedicated athlete, he is still relatively low maintenance.

Any prima donna stuff? Maybe a bit. I recall him shouting at Wally (or in his direction) on the sideline after kind of a breakout performance. I recall when his body language seemed to show him sulking a bit. Small potatoes stuff I think.

Pulled some strings as part of the unofficial Lions' players' council? Sure ...

But still and all, he deserves to be an icon. One of my all time faves. Very personable. Hugely productive as a player. No breath of scandal. Local resident. Great in the community. Fully deserving of the highest status imaginable for a star athlete. Straight into the Hall of Fame.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Dangerous territory. Venturing in: On Geroy's behalf, I will say that, for a superstar, for a receiver, for a city icon, for a totally dedicated athlete, he is still relatively low maintenance.

Any prima donna stuff? Maybe a bit. I recall him shouting at Wally (or in his direction) on the sideline after kind of a breakout performance. I recall when his body language seemed to show him sulking a bit. Small potatoes stuff I think.

But still and all, he deserves to be an icon. One of my all time faves. Very personable. Hugely productive as a player. No breath of scandal. Local resident. Great in the community. Fully deserving of the highest status imaginable for a star athlete. Straight into the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. I prefer to remember his commitment to the community and coaching kids in football as opposed to the occasional "gimmie the damn ball" outburst which again, is not uncommon among the best of the best in their sport.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the years from now, there's no doubt that Geroy Simon will be inducted into the:

1. BC Lions Wall of Fame
2. Canadian Football Hall of Fame

As for the Ring of Honour and having his #81 retired, there's a distinct possibility as well although the number will likely still be in circulation lest they run out of numbers. :wink:

And if the team makes another Anniversary Dream Team, Simon will definitely make the Slotback position, replacing Darren Flutie. Or since most teams these days use two slotbacks and no tight end, then Darren Flutie and Simon will be the slotbacks while TE Harry Holt will be left out.

Let's see how Geroy Simon compares to BC Lions records:

Games Played as a Lion
1. 408 – Lui Passaglia
2. 265 – Jamie Taras
3. 233 – Al Wilson
4. 223 – Norm Fieldgate
5. 202 – Cory Mantyka
6. 197 – Jim Young
7. 197 – Angus Reid
8. 196 – Geroy Simon
9. 192 – Glen Jackson

Points scored as a Lion
1. Lui Passaglia
2. Paul McCallum
3. Ted Gerela
4. Geroy Simon
5. Willie Fleming

Most Receiving Yards
1. Geroy Simon
2. Jim Young
3. Mervyn Fernandez

Most Receptions Career
1. Geroy Simon
2. Jim Young
3. Jason Clermont
4. Mike Trevathan

Most Receptions Season
1. 111 – Darren Flutie – 1994
2. 105 – Geroy Simon – 2006
3. 104 – Ray Alexander –1991
4. 103 – Geroy Simon – 2004
5. 95 – Mervyn Fernandez – 1985

Most Receiving Yards Season
1. 1856 – Geroy Simon – 2006
2. 1750 – Geroy Simon – 2004

3. 1731 – Darren Flutie – 1994
4. 1727 – Mervyn Fernandez – 1985

Total TD catches in a game
1. 4 - Geroy Simon, tied with Fernandez, Jackson, and Williams

Unlike his other Lions Most Outstanding Players who left the team at most a year after their win (Fernandez, Flutie, Williams, Printers - notwithstanding his pitiful return), Simon stayed with the team for another six years after his 2006 MOP win. With his recent extension, Lulay will hopefully be an exception as well although he has a long ways to go to match the six years by Simon.

I guess the only thing that's missing from his 12 year stay with the Lions was a Grey Cup MVP in which he seemed to take a backseat compared to his other receivers in the two Grey Cup games that he won. Perhaps it's because the opponent decided to double team Simon and that allowed other receivers to be free. In the 2006 Grey Cup, Paris Jackson was the leading Lions receiver with 5-65 followed by Ryan Thelwell with 5-45 and Simon ended up with 4-41. And in the 2011 Grey Cup, Kierrie Johnson was 2-81 and Arland Bruce was 5-73 with a touchdown each, while Simon was decent with 4-79 but with no TD's.

In the years to come, what would you say his best play was as a Lion? Too numerous of course. What I'll say instead is one of the more overshadowed and forgotten plays since it was done in a losing cause. In the 2005 WDF in the third quarter with the Lions trailing 21-10, Simon caught a 90 yard TD pass from Dickenson and that allowed the Lions to get the momentum and eventually tie the game after three quarters. And in the same game, Simon was involved with one of the most controversial plays as the officials didn't call pass interference in Printers' pass attempt in the final play of the game.

---------------

I have to say it was a real privilege and honour to meet Geroy Simon in person and have my picture taken with him and the Grey Cup way back in April 2006 when the Langley Sony Store brought him for their grand opening.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Mikemike
All Star

I am showing up 6 pages worth of posts late to this party, but still, I gotta sound off.

What can you say... As far as I can remember (apart from the weak O-Line a few years back) Wally's never given anyone in the provence reason to doubt that he knows what he is doing as a GM.

All the best to GS. I have been watching CFL for one heck of a long spell, and he was the closest thing to Superman I ever saw. Clutch guy, quality guy, his shoes probably won't be filled this decade sez I...
Blitz
Team Captain

With regard to the comment that Geroy did not always represent grace in the dressing room or that he whined to reporters at times about not getting the football from the quarterback of the day those comments are not surprising.

Geroy was at his worst in 2007, when we moved to an offence for that season that focused on running the football more and Geroy lobbied for Chap's return so we would get back to a pass oriented offence that featured him more.....and Geroy was not above getting into Buck Pierce's face or even Wally's face, as he did on the sidelines one game. He sometimes waved his hands in the air in disgust, if he was open and showed his quarterback in a negative light.

Still, pro receivers are generally known to be the least team oriented of any position....and are more narcisstic. But ego aside, what we will remember Geroy for our his accomplishments - his silky smooth glide down the field, his ability to turn a defender inside out, his Superman pose, and his pride in being a Lion. He, more than any other player in the Buono eras here, was the face of the franchise.

I would have loved the scenario of Geroy retiring as a Lion but the timing of that was not able to work out...but I am pleased that both Geroy and Wally held a joint press conference and did it in as classy a way as possible.

There will be a Geroy Simon Night at B.C. Place one day, after Geroy retires and we will all be able to show him our appreciation of his talents and his contributions here.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
David wrote:Interesting words from LU about how everything wasn't quite as harmonious and peachy between the four walls of the locker room as one would be led to believe:
Lowell Ullrich wrote:The spin from the Lions is that they might eventually be better off without Simon, having cut a player a year too early as opposed to one too late. They’ve used that line of logic before of course. The suggestion from some in the organization was that Simon didn’t always represent grace within the locker room, and it could be stated that reporters indeed did hear their share of quiet complaints by the receiver because the quarterback of the day couldn’t get him the ball enough.
I don't know if this is fair to Geroy though. He's a competitive guy and, as will most elite athletes in their sport, he has a fairly healthy ego. However, superstars really need one to achieve their status.

Interesting comments though.

Dangerous territory. Venturing in: On Geroy's behalf, I will say that, for a superstar, for a receiver, for a city icon, for a totally dedicated athlete, he is still relatively low maintenance.

Pulled some strings as part of the unofficial Lions' players' council? Sure ...

Well I am sure that he will be happy with Durant tossing the ball to him then. Seems to me that becomes more about the money than he let on at the presser....stay tuned.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I don't quibble with a guy who has done a masterful job it seems with his agent to get what he has got. To me his package brings me admiration for his ability to wait it out. Taman says this started in early December and took a lot of time to work out. Sometimes the aging superstar just wants to get it done and settles for a lot less than he could get. Simon must be both very astute and have a good agent that he trusts and is able to work with vs. say a Casey Printers and his idiot agent but in his day in the CFL.

Geroy is a BC fan icon and for the most part a stellar contributor. I do recall the 2007 season and how these REC including it seemed Lions 82 weren't happy with the Kruck-Dorazio run packages that were exciting fans and working and taking their offense in the right direction. Wally wasn't bringing JC back as he said post JCs Esks days but the lobby got him back and later these same REC lobbied and won to get Kruck off the field and their REC coach at field level, etc.

My sense is that Geroy has been fantastic in this organization and if you look at his contribution in sales and merch he has more than paid his own way versus just about any other player other than say the recent version of Travis Lulay. Geroy is in the community - coaching and active. That stuff if you go back to the glory days of the Whitecaps was what those players were ALL all about. I had a kid in soccer and coached and these guys were at every tournament, dropping by games unexpectedly, running clinics and training in public and fan friendly. Geroy was all of that and in a time when so many stars are aloof.

None of us are purrfect and each has a personality and character we bring to the game.

I personally am not a fan in business of asking a person to take cuts or have a frozen salary as that is very dissatisfying and I'd rather than see them gone than suffer that. We had issues in our business of job re-evaluations where they came along and red circled (no more salary increases) certain jobs. It demoralized some more than others and caused dissension in departments.

Geroy is not a guy who in my view could take on a reduced role like a Paris Jackson or be a mentor other than by playing. That is just his personality. The Lions and their GM think that it won't work very likely and are happy that he move on.

As LU says when he returns to BC he'll make the Lions an extra $200,000 in ticket sales (if he is playing well and not hurt).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
potbelly
Rookie

The_Pauser wrote:
cromartie wrote:5-0 without them. Time marches on. Nothing personal. Geroy was making $205k. He'll make $165k with the Riders. There are SMS concerns and other areas of the team to address with that revenue.

That takes nothing away to their contributions to the team over the years. I love Geroy as a player and appreciate what he represents as a person. His jersey hangs proudly on my wall. But I get the move.

By the same token, it was important to Wally that this not turn out the way it did with Allen Pitts, and it didn't.

I wish him well, except when he plays the Lions.

Would have preferred a body on the offensive line in return, though. WR Justin Harper and a 2014 3rd appears to be what was garnered in return.
Everyone keeps saying "5-0 without them" or "Oh look how good our offense was without them" but no one ever stops to think why? We dominated the worst defense in the league (Hamilton), we dominated a very poor Edmonton team, we barely beat a Calgary team in a game that we should have run away with but let them hang around too long that we almost blew it, and we had no offense to speak of in the season finale against Saskatchewan.

This was a very STUPID move by this team that CLEARLY hasn't learned from past mistakes. Or maybe I guess they're just content with rebuilding? Maybe being on top for only two years (well one year as the year before was a late push from worst to first) and now we're ready to rebuild? Stupid stupid stupid! :bang:
Yes Yes and Yes. Huge brain fart by Wally. As far as I and others are concerned everyone gets old and loses there edge but Geroy's time is not up, and should have been finishing out his career, be it 1-2 years, in BC. Also if anyone has lost there edge due to getting old it would be Wally. He seems to have lost his edge and has been making some real mental mistakes. Extra big glass of water for me; to swallow this pill. Absolutely ridiculous.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Lowell Ullrich wrote:The suggestion from some in the organization was that Simon didn’t always represent grace within the locker room, and it could be stated that reporters indeed did hear their share of quiet complaints by the receiver because the quarterback of the day couldn’t get him the ball enough.
A superstar receiver who always thinks he's open and demands the ball more often? In other breaking news, water is wet and the sun is bright.

I have no inside knowledge, but I'm going to assume that Geroy didn't become the most prolific receiver in CFL history without more than a couple outbursts at his QB.

I want my receivers coming back to the huddle telling the QB that they were open, I want to see that type of confidence/arrogance/swagger. It's the QB's job to look said receivers in the eyes and tell them to "Shut the F up, I throw the ball to the open receiver".
David
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Lowell Ullrich wrote:The suggestion from some in the organization was that Simon didn’t always represent grace within the locker room, and it could be stated that reporters indeed did hear their share of quiet complaints by the receiver because the quarterback of the day couldn’t get him the ball enough.
A superstar receiver who always thinks he's open and demands the ball more often? In other breaking news, water is wet and the sun is bright.

I have no inside knowledge, but I'm going to assume that Geroy didn't become the most prolific receiver in CFL history without more than a couple outbursts at his QB.

I want my receivers coming back to the huddle telling the QB that they were open, I want to see that type of confidence/arrogance/swagger. It's the QB's job to look said receivers in the eyes and tell them to "Shut the F up, I throw the ball to the open receiver".
If you read the rest of my post, I agree with you.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So I go over to Ridersfans at 1020 pm this evening.

There are 187 viewers active.

There are already 1165 replies in the Geroy trade thread on 59 pages, along with 31,415 views.

Wow ... I guess there is not much else happening in Saskatchewan aside from Riders football. Watermelon power.

In another thread 83% favour the acquisition.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Well I am sure that he will be happy with Durant tossing the ball to him then. Seems to me that becomes more about the money than he let on at the presser....stay tuned.
X2 My take is about money and records.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:So I go over to Ridersfans at 1020 pm this evening.

There are 187 viewers active.

There are already 1165 replies in the Geroy trade thread on 59 pages, along with 31,415 views.

Wow ... I guess there is not much else happening in Saskatchewan aside from Riders football. Watermelon power.

In another thread 83% favour the acquisition.
Yeah, well in the Regina Leader Post yesterday...curling was the lead story and Geroy coming to Saskatchewan a distant second.

While the addition of Simon is a football story in Regina, the story of the Simon trade was much bigger here. As for Simon himself, of course he wanted to be traded for 1) the opportunity to continue to have an important role in an offence 2) the records and 3 the money.

He gets approximately $65,000 a year more in Regina as well as being assured of being a starting slotback position there (and the chance to continue to break records) In B.C. the salary offer was less, due to an anticipated reduced role and his starting job was not assured

It's not that Geroy could not have come back to our Leos this season. He refused Wally's contract offer and the potential of a reduced role. Therefore, we traded him in order to get something for him.

The Riders also don't have the import receiver talent depth that we do. We needed to give our younger recievers, who have shown their wares, the opportunity to start and we have more pressing needs at offensive line than receiver, with those younger receivers around and ready to step in.

I really believe Travis Lulay will be able to step up even more with Simon gone. There were obvious times when he felt the pressure to throw to Simon. With Geroy gone, it will definitely be Lulay's offence now. Its easy to forget that we had Simon back in the lineup, as well as Bruce, in the WDF in November and lost..and neither were able to make a huge impact in that game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Morris Jim Morris
CFL.ca
SURREY – Sometimes the right decision isn't the easiest one to make.

Geroy Simon didn't want to leave the B.C. Lions. The sure-handed slotback knew he could stay in Vancouver, play at least another season, and continue to add to his legacy as one of the greatest receivers in CFL history.

It would have been the easy thing to do. But for Simon it wasn't the right thing.

It wasn't the request to take a reduced salary that tipped the scales in Simon's decision to agree to be traded to the Saskatchewan Roughriders Thursday. It was more about rejecting a reduced role in the Lions' offensive scheme and wanting to prove he still can be a top-drawer receiver.

"The cowardly thing to do, or the easy thing to do, would have just been to work it out and stay," Simon said after a news conference in the dressing room of the Lions' training facility in Surrey, B.C. "But in the end I wouldn't have been comfortable with that.

"I wouldn't have been comfortable with what was offered to me."

The classy Simon spoke with emotion but not bitterness. Leaving the Lions hurt his heart but staying would have damaged his pride."This is a very tough day," he said. "In the end this is a decision we had to make."

Simon has 15,787 receiving yards over a 14-year career, more than any other receiver in league history. He needs just 29 catches to break Ben Cahoon's career record of 1,017 receptions.

After beginning his CFL career with Winnipeg in 1999, Simon joined the Lions as a free agent after the 2000 season. Since then he's been a league all-star six times, helped the Lions win Grey Cups in 2006 and 2011, and was the CFL's outstanding player in 2006.A star on the field, Simon was a leader in the dressing room and a great ambassador for the game. He coached minor football and made community appearances. Thoughtful and honest when dealing with the media, Simon would stay after practises to sign autographs and chat with fans.

In a purrfect world Wally Buono, B.C.'s general manager and vice-president of football operations, would have liked Simon to end his career as a Lion. The problem was, the two couldn't agree on Simon's role this season.

Simon believes he still has the skill to be a starter. The Lions saw him more as a backup to be used in certain formations.

"I was prepared to take a diminished role but not on (that) level," Simon said. "That's where the disconnect was."It was a like a marriage that had run its course. Better to get a divorce now while the two sides remained friends than risk turning into enemies.

"Let's just say we agreed to disagree," said Buono."We feel that at this point it was best to part ways. For us to part ways is not something we enjoy. It's part of the business of sports that you have to deal with. We have to be honest with ourselves and our decision and going forward."The decision to put the six-foot, 198-pound native of Johnstown, Pa., on the trade market was made easier this week, but the Simon could see the writing on the wall last season.

The 37-year-old missed five games with two hamstrings injuries. He finished with only 54 catches for 700 yards and two touchdowns. It was the first time since 2002 Simon didn't have over 1,000 yards receiving.

The Lions, who finished first in the West, were 5-0 with Simon out of the lineup. Watching from the sidelines he saw young receivers like Shawn Gore, Nick Moore, Akeem Foster, Marco Iannuzzi and Ernest Jackson step up.

"Just looking around, my eyes were opened during the season," Simon said. "Just the direction we were going."

This isn't the first time Buono has released a popular veteran. In the past quarterback Dave Dickenson, slotback Jason Clermont and offensive lineman Rob Murphy were shown the door. Just last week slotback Arland Bruce and cornerback Bryon Parker were trimmed off the roster. While in Calgary Buono cut slotback Allen Pitts.

Buono admitted parting with Simon was one of his most difficult decisions."When I got up this morning it felt like I was going to be going to a funeral," he said.

In exchange for Simon the Lions get receiver Justin Harper and a third-round pick in the 2014 Canadian college draft. The 27-year-old Harper had nine catches for 95 yards last year.

Simon didn't want his days in B.C. to end like this.
"Any time I think of myself in a professional football uniform I think of me being in orange and white," he said. "But in order for me to play at the level I want to play, I feel I had to make this decision."

Simon isn't sure what role Saskatchewan has in mind for him. "That's the risk you take when you change," he said. "Change can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. I was willing to take that risk.

"I know I'm going to be a receiver that plays at a high level. That's all I can control. I am going to go in, I'm going to be in the best shape I can be in, I'm going to practise as hard as I can. I'm going to try and lead the best way I can. That's all I can control."

Prior to the speaking to the media Buono and Simon shook hands and posed for pictures. After, they walked to opposite sides of the room for interviews.It's obvious the two men still respect each other. They just are not on the same team any more.

"I have nothing but great feelings for this organization," said Simon. "There is nothing negative I am going to take away from when I leave here.

"I'm going to prove I'm still an elite receiver in this league. It's not a negative. It's a positive."