Argos 35 - Stampeders 22 Grey Cup Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

It's an individual penalty but in a team sport. So it does have both an immediate and longer term potentional when a player is suspended.

I guess the first question is whether the CFL does suspend the player involved. I only saw a quick replay and I'm not entirely certain what happened other than it did get him ejected.

If an action is going to be taken, it should be announced this week. Whether he ends up retiring is a bridge to be crossed in 2013 if necessary.

Logically I would think getting ejected is a probable cause for a suspension. Having it happen in the GC makes it a political hot potato of sorts.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It would seem that retiring is his intention or so he says at least.

Story here
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
dfootball
Rookie

Hey guy's my brother was at the parade today an excess of 50,000 crowded the streets and a stage celebration downtown, , way to go toronto, vancouver when we win the grey cup again lets have parade, instead of that little gathering we had at bc place last year. parades are way more attractive.

thats it the season is over.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dfootball wrote:Hey guy's my brother was at the parade today an excess of 50,000 crowded the streets and a stage celebration downtown, , way to go toronto, vancouver when we win the grey cup again lets have parade, instead of that little gathering we had at bc place last year. parades are way more attractive.

We didn't have a parade for 2006 or 2000 either (prob not even 1994). In 2006 there was an outdoor daytime event at the north end of the Art Gallery. In 2000 I think they had a daytime event inside BCP, similar to 2011 (that one was in the evening to help boost the turnout) but on a smaller scale (perhaps befitting the state of the franchise in that era).

Frankly a mid-day, mid-week Lions victory parade in this market wouldn't be guaranteed a good turnout, and then those bad optics would become the story. Parades are overrated anyway. I'd prefer to be at an event where I can see everything from start to finish rather than ten blocks down the street from where all the real action (speeches from players, etc) ends up happening.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

dfootball wrote:Hey guy's my brother was at the parade today an excess of 50,000 crowded the streets and a stage celebration downtown, , way to go toronto, vancouver when we win the grey cup again lets have parade, instead of that little gathering we had at bc place last year. parades are way more attractive.

Good for Toronto. Good for the CFL.

I think it does show the level of starvation for a championship team in the Centre of the Universe. :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I stated before that in the city of Toronto, the Argonauts might be overshadowed by their Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, and even the Raptors. But neverthess there were highly-attended, huge parades held in the city after their 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, and now 2012 Grey Cup wins. When it comes to post-championship celebrations, it looks like the city Vancouver still cannot compare to the city of Toronto.

On a separate note, I noticed that even though it was Grey Cup Sunday in the city of Toronto, the afternoon Raptors game at the Air Canada Centre was still soldout with 19,800 in attendance nevertheless.
sj-roc wrote:

We didn't have a parade for 2006 or 2000 either (prob not even 1994).
After the 1994 Lions GC win, there was an indoor celebration at BC Place (and fans can finally see the Grey Cup trophy) similar to what happened after the 2000 GC win, and what happened after the 1994 Canucks playoff run (which was not done for the Canucks after 2011).
Frankly a mid-day, mid-week Lions victory parade in this market wouldn't be guaranteed a good turnout, and then those bad optics would become the story.

After the 1985 Grey Cup win, there was a small parade that led to a celebration in BC Place but despite the fact that it ended a 21 year drought, it wasn't all that well attended.

Pics of the Toronto GC parade that included horses, a marching band, and a large inflatable.
http://www.thestar.com/photoplayer/1293823
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/27/ar ... ory-parade
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/100th-grey-cu ... -1.1047905
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toronto better celebrate this because it will be years before the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays win a championship
dfootball
Rookie

After the 1985 Grey Cup win, there was a small parade that led to a celebration in BC Place but despite the fact that it ended a 21 year drought, it wasn't all that well attended.

it was well attended, first of all there were over 1000 people at the airport, the parade was in cold wet rain we just had a big snow storm on the weekend, the parade was well attended at about 10,000 people and another 10,000 people in bc place people were being turned away because it was starting to get too out of hand with excitment (which is were i was at), since then any bc lions celebrations has been poorly attended, 1994 ( i was there ) 1,600 people,(i was there) 2000, 2,100 people, ( i was there) 2006 outside 3,400 people, (i was there) 2012, 6,000 people a lot better here. i just think a parade here in vacouver would be it.
MacNews
Team Captain

I know it's probably been brought up before, but how about Ricky Foley. Overpaid much? From 12 sacks with BC, to seasons of 6 and 3. If Toronto renews his salary I bet it'd be at a much reduced rate. We definitely dodged a bullet on that one.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MacNews wrote:I know it's probably been brought up before, but how about Ricky Foley. Overpaid much? From 12 sacks with BC, to seasons of 6 and 3. If Toronto renews his salary I bet it'd be at a much reduced rate. We definitely dodged a bullet on that one.
I don't know Argos D well enough to know for sure but Foley's sack totals may be a function of how he is deployed. Wasn't he in coverage on some screen passes?

I do know that Lions' Keron Williams benefits from Mitchell often taking on a double team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Foley is a hard worker, has a good motor.

Goofy on contracts though. :wink:

Reminds me of a boss I had. Last one in to see him got what they wanted, sold their idea. Sometimes you had to go right back in if you saw an "opponent" going in, with a competing idea. LOL "Oh, OK, that sounds good." D'oh ...

The last GM to see Foley got him to sign.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Foley is a hard worker, has a good motor.

Goofy on contracts though. :wink:

Reminds me of a boss I had. Last one in to see him got what they wanted, sold their idea. Sometimes you had to go right back in if you saw an "opponent" going in, with a competing idea. LOL "Oh, OK, that sounds good." D'oh ...

The last GM to see Foley got him to sign.
As in curling, having the hammer is a big advantage.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Painful listening to Foley's post game interview. Seems like every sentence started with the words "Hey Man"
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Painful listening to Foley's post game interview. Seems like every sentence started with the words "Hey Man"
It was. Not exactly a guy who possesses a smooth look to him. Not a good interview. They bailed fast on that one.

I too heard TSN say that the sacks were down as they used him differently so it is not the only measure for him that needs looking at.

I kind of found the Imports in that game were the stars and that while Foley was fine 4 tackles, 1 fumble it was minor compared to how a number of Argos performed that game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy