How do you view the season?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SJ46
Starter

I agree with KnowItAll. It was an entertaining season and I enjoyed it. The one thing that struck me though was how soft and befuddled they seemed when they played that game in the cold in Calgary. It was like they didn't want to be there (probably true) but I wonder if that was an insight into their lack of a "never lose" attitude.
SJ46
David
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:
SJ46 wrote:I agree with KnowItAll. It was an entertaining season and I enjoyed it. The one thing that struck me though was how soft and befuddled they seemed when they played that game in the cold in Calgary. It was like they didn't want to be there (probably true) but I wonder if that was an insight into their lack of a "never lose" attitude.
Nicely put. Remember last season when the D had a long no-tds-allowed streak and Korey Banks went into the goalpost rather than give up a TD? We certainly didn't see that kind of effort in the snow in Calgary.

Cheers,

James
They're simply going to have to find some cold weather mojo. The Grey Cup is in Regina next year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

Personally, I think that it's a mistake to get very emotionally-invested in a team's success. It's a game, after all. It's entertainment. In any authentic sense of what's important in the world, it's close to nothing. Why do we take this so seriously--and feel so completely devastated when the season comes to an ugly end as ours just has? How does any of this actually impact our lives in any significant way? I find it helpful to re-frame my support for the Lions at times like this.

Now...go Seahawks!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Upper Bowl wrote:A Grey Cup championship should always be the goal, but that doesn't necessarily mean the season was a failure. As a season ticket holder, I was entertained and feel I got my money's worth. Certainly no failure there.

And all of the posters claiming this season is a complete and utter failure need to bear in mind two important facts:

1) Despite being an eight-team league, it is extremely difficult to repeat as Grey Cup champions in the CFL.

2) The team hosting the division final – especially the West final – is really not at a great advantage. I don’t feel like looking up the win-loss stats for the host team, but 3-3 over the last six finals we’ve hosted, is actually a pretty reasonable record, given league history.

While Sunday’s loss was very disappointing, I can’t be too angry, because the team did everything it could to put itself in good position to repeat. There were very few missteps. They just got beat by a very good team that had an amazing performance.
Very good points and you'd have to be from Mars not to have enjoyed the season.

To be fair most here don't feel the seasons was an "utter failure." Many have used Marsh's words and felt it was a "waste" due to the final game.

Absolutely spot on about the Div. Final and of course an 8 team league. In fact the difficulty of a repeat is why so many here including me felt this team was poised to do it again.

I was cautious to the extent that I could see the Stamps peaking and believed that Kevin Glenn would be good as he has some unfinished business from 2007 and his broken arm after putting the Bombers in the GC final.

The Stamps comments led by Anwar Stewart that the Lions were surprised to lose to a team not as good were interesting. Calgary Herald story.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Personally, I think that it's a mistake to get very emotionally-invested in a team's success. It's a game, after all. It's entertainment. In any authentic sense of what's important in the world, it's close to nothing. Why do we take this so seriously--and feel so completely devastated when the season comes to an ugly end as ours just has? How does any of this actually impact our lives in any significant way? I find it helpful to re-frame my support for the Lions at times like this.

Now...go Seahawks!
One's view on whether and/or to what degree the season was a failure doesn't necessarily inform the level of emotional investment in the team. We could assess other teams in the league just as easily without any sentiment for them.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Personally, I think that it's a mistake to get very emotionally-invested in a team's success. It's a game, after all. It's entertainment. In any authentic sense of what's important in the world, it's close to nothing. Why do we take this so seriously--and feel so completely devastated when the season comes to an ugly end as ours just has? How does any of this actually impact our lives in any significant way? I find it helpful to re-frame my support for the Lions at times like this.

Now...go Seahawks!
That is why some are fanatical and live vicariously with the ups and downs of their team. Many of the most upset fans have not played sports a lot and haven't learned as players and coaches do - how to win and how to lose. Years back I was coaching a youth soccer team we lost a cup game that should have been a cake walk. We had lost just 2 games all year and had hammered our opponents. Our team just plain came out flat. Post game one of the players - 13 years old - asked me why I didn't yell at them. My reply was - it's over. Learn the lesson from the loss for next year. Yelling wasn't going to change the outcome. I always subscribe to the thinking that the best teams are not too emotional - the old saying - never too high in victory, never too low in defeat. Those teams are better equipped to learn the lessons from each game - win or lose- so that the next game is a win. The emotional teams never seem to grasp the lessons.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote: One's view on whether and/or to what degree the season was a failure doesn't necessarily inform the level of emotional investment in the team. We could assess other teams in the league just as easily without any sentiment for them.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think I'd substitute "doesn't" for "doesn't necessarily," because the causal direction of the relationship as stated seems backwards ("informing" being roughly synonymous with "affecting"). Thus, I might have phrased your point a little differently, as: One's level of emotional investment in the team doesn't necessarily inform one's assessment of the season! I think, strictly speaking, that's true, but I'd expect a pretty substantial correlation between the two variables--positive if the team wins the GC, negative otherwise (our current state of affairs).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote: One's view on whether and/or to what degree the season was a failure doesn't necessarily inform the level of emotional investment in the team. We could assess other teams in the league just as easily without any sentiment for them.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think I'd substitute "doesn't" for "doesn't necessarily," because the causal direction of the relationship as stated seems backwards ("informing" being roughly synonymous with "affecting"). Thus, I might have phrased your point a little differently, as: One's level of emotional investment in the team doesn't necessarily inform one's assessment of the season! I think, strictly speaking, that's true, but I'd expect a pretty substantial correlation between the two variables--positive if the team wins the GC, negative otherwise (our current state of affairs).
I might have misused the word. What I meant by that was that it "doesn't necessarily tell you anything about".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote: I might have misused the word. What I meant by that was that it "doesn't necessarily tell you anything about".
Right. My comments about emotional investment were meant more generally, but to some extent reflect my attempts at restoring reasonable mental health after our disappointment. :(