Stampeders 34 - Lions 29, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Insightful points WCJ.

Obviously Calgary wanted to limit Lulay's ability to run and they did. He was also not able to move around in the pocket well, which is something that Glenn did well. However, Lulay did have time to throw on most plays. Lulay's shoulder injury came at a very misopportune time. I did not believe he had a very good first half of the season but he was playing his best football before he got hurt..and he had enjoyed two games where he had also played very well in the first quarter as well.

Moore is so much better in the slot than the outside as you note. I understand why we went with Moore, because he was our best import receiver this season, after Simon and Bruce but Ernest has more speed on the outside.

Its not as if Lulay did not challenge deep a few times. Its just that he didn't have receivers open deep and there is no way that we can get Simon or Bruce open deep anymore. It allowed Calgary an easier time with deep coverage assigments.

We got 3 field goals in the first half and our offence did not play well but with Banks interception, we were only down by 1 point at half time, even though we had played poorly. We were lucky to be in that situation and we should have been inspired.

Calgary's excellent first half could have been put behind us. But instead, we start the second half going two and out on our first two offensive series of the second half. We had the home crowd, pride and a Grey Cup berth waiting for us, the rust was behind us and we just went out there and stank. We could those first half big Calgary plays behind us.

Two field goals in the second half before we finally scored a touchdown with just over a minute remaining. That's just not good enough and it wasn't because the interior of our offensive line didn't pass block. Newman had an excellent game over all, considering that his knees have nothing holding them together and Kabongo also played well.

With Glenn in there, all we needed to do was to stop Cornish and not give up the big play. Instead we let Cornish run free, we allowed Glenn to escape way too many times and buy time to make a big play or to dump to an uncovered Cornish when he couldn't.

I am not sitting here thinking that Dickenson had a great game plan. The fact is that on defense we had serious coverage breakdowns with a veteran secondary. There is also no way that we should be having Bighill and McKenzie lining up outside to blitz and Sol E. in the middle. There is no way that Cornish should have been able to be able to run the football against us as he did or be not be spied in the passing attack.

Offensively, it was as if we were not at game speed....we were a second or a half second behind and that makes all the difference. We didn't scare Calgary with Simon and Bruce. That allowed them to play us differently, knowing that they didn't have deep coverage worries at our slot positions.

In terms of our talent, I don't believe that our talent was that much better than other CFL teams but we were the most talented team in the CFL as well as having the most depth but the margin was not significant. Our experience was supposed to be the biggest factor in us returning to the Big Dance but it didn't work out that way.

Another thing to consider is that the Grey Cup game will feature two very experienced quarterbacks. Travis Lulay has only been a starter for 2 /2 seasons. I believe his rust was the biggest factor in his play against the Stamps. He improved in a number of areas this season, including his accuracy. He is still best with designed plays in which he has a primary and secondary receiver, with Harris as his check down guy. However, when he has all his receivers as options, he tends to hold the football too long. Continued experience will change that.

However, offensively, in this game, it was obvious in the second half, when Lulay only threw to Simon twice (and he looked for him) that he did not have the confidence in him as our go to receiver...likely because he was well covered. Lulay looked like a much more confident quarterback throwing footballs to Moore and Taylor and E. Jackson when they played. It says something to me.

When a team is winning, like we were this season, one can look critical if you point out flaws but negative patterns often come back to bite. That was the case in 2005 and 2007, and it was again this season.

Those patterns were:

1. Poor Offensive Starts

Except for a short stint in the second half of the season our offence had too many poor first quarters. It came back to bite us yesterday.

2. We played our best offensive football with Moore and Taylor in the slots. Ernest Jackson stretched defenses deep, blocked well and ran the reverse well. We had the capacity to be a big play offence and also move the football with consistency. With Simon and Bruce out of the lineup Gore always stepped up and Lulay threw to him.

With Simon and Bruce in the lineup we were more dink and dunk, did not stretch the middle of the field vertically and Gore was often ignored. Gore had one catch yesterday. We were not able to stretch the middle of the field.

3. With Valli in the lineup, the interior of our offensive line struggled, Valli missed blocks and assignments, and took too many penalties. Newman, playing with braces holding his knees together got it done as did the interior of our offensive line.

4. With a 6 man rotating defensive line, we got tons of heat on quarterbacks and Bighill roamed the middle with speed and intensity...and came up on running backs and quarterbacks like a man possessed. We got more pressure and penetration inside. When Eliminian returned, we used too many formations to incorporate him, including the 3-4 too often, with Bighill and Mckenzie lined up outside,our defense was too complicated, we tried to do too much, we had to think too much rather than react, and due to the complexity, we missed assignments.

Yesterday, all the patterns came back to haunt us, as did the patterns that were hurting us in 2005 and 2007 come back to haunt us in those seasons.

We have a great nucleus going into next season. We need to have the courage to make the changes that are needed for next season. If we do that, we have another great shot at a Grey Cup next year.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MacNews
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:In fact, there is no deep threat on the roster since Kierrie Johnson was released. With no speed and with Lulay's injured shoulder restricting his ability to throw the deep ball, the Stamps made it tough for the Lions to move the ball.
Agreed. Travis took too long to throw and didn't have any velocity on the ball once he did. He'd throw the ball, and it was so slow that everyone could get into place when it arrived. Should've tried Reilly, but even he can't do anything if the play call is a 3-yard pass on 2nd&8.

No deep threat on offense. It showed.

Defense had no pressure on the QB, and huge holes in secondary.

Only good unit tonight was Special Teams. McCallum was money and showed up 110%. 5/5 is what made the score flatter BC. Still think it's time to see if O'Neill is ready to be starter.

Lions still need a deep threat at receiver, and more experience at safety.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: In terms of our talent, I don't believe that our talent was that much better than other CFL teams but we were the most talented team in the CFL as well as having the most depth but the margin was not significant. Our experience was supposed to be the biggest factor in us returning to the Big Dance but it didn't work out that way.
Excellent points, Blitz.

As noted above, the only thing I would say is:

Receivers ...

I would give the edge to the receiving corps Calgary suited up over our guys suited up. I noted this before the game. Speed kills. We didn't have it. So talent wise, I would not put our receiving corps at the top of the league. There are game breakers sprinkled throughout the league. All over the place. Where are ours? LOL Oh yeah, the young guys. Either they didn't suit up, or they got ignored once again. Even if Geroy and Arland retire, or are not brought back, our young guys have lots to prove. Nick Moore is established iMO, but Taylor and Jackson do not have many reps. Great potential of course. Talent wise, not sure many personnel guys around the league would give the nod to our roster. I do believe in our guys though.

O Line ...

Also I can't consider that we are anything but near the bottom of the league in terms of our non import O Line talent. Much of this is injury related of course. IMO JonHR's health issues are a tragedy. He has long been the NI guy I thought the most highly of in our group. I credit Newman for his courage and effort and contributions yesterday. In his ten years here, how is that Dan Dorazio has failed to develop a deep, talented and experienced non import corps of O Linemen? Well, I think it's on him; the judgment is suspect, and the training is not taking hold. A change in that coaching position would not bother me at all. And we have just the guy to step in.

So in regard to talent, IMO we are not at the top looking down on the rest of the league in two vital areas: receivers and NI O Line.

One area we could be the best, if we suited up 6 guys: D Line. One area we are near the top: DBs, except for tackling in some cases. At the top, as good as, etc., linebacking corps.

So how have we done so well? Experience, wisdom, character, and pretty good talent too, but not clearly the best in the league, not ahead of the league. Plus good quarterbacking and the magical Andrew Harris. (And our coaching has been pretty darn good for a year and a half.)

IMO ...
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Buono released Calgary's all time receiver Allan Pitts when he felt Pitts has lost a step. Will he do the same with Arland and Geroy ?
I wonder if that plays into the Geroy factor here in BC, Wally may just as well have regrets about that release. Pitts was a Stampeder lifer, but as much as he gave to the franchise, Geroy is more associated with the Lions market. I don't expect that Wally will make that same move this time around, but I would say that this off season is of very similar mold to when he released Pitts.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

Compare the Als last 5 minutes of the game to the Lions. Calvillo threw the ball downfield with authority, Lulay not so much. Either his shoulder limited him, or the play calling was just that conservative.
Blitz
Team Captain

We have deep threats on our roster. Courtney Taylor runs a 4.5 40 yard dash..fast enough to get him a 4 year contract with Seattle before his MS and to start as a wide receiver in the NFL.

Nick Moore runs a 4.5 40 yard dash as does Shawn Gore. Ernest Jackson, all 220 pounds of him is a mini tick away with a 4.52 40 yard dash and Marco Iannuzzi runs a 4.57 40 yarder.

Kierrie Johnson ran a 4.43. The difference in all of these times is negligable. So we did not miss Kierrie Johnson's speed as B.C.Fan has stated. What we did miss in the WDF was enough speed at slotback.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rodu
Champion

I think E Jackson can be our deep guy, he's fast enough, and has that size for the extra reach
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:We have deep threats on our roster. Courtney Taylor runs a 4.5 40 yard dash..fast enough to get him a 4 year contract with Seattle before his MS and to start as a wide receiver in the NFL.

Nick Moore runs a 4.5 40 yard dash as does Shawn Gore. Ernest Jackson, all 220 pounds of him is a mini tick away with a 4.52 40 yard dash and Marco Iannuzzi runs a 4.57 40 yarder.

Kierrie Johnson ran a 4.43. The difference in all of these times is negligable. So we did not miss Kierrie Johnson's speed as B.C.Fan has stated. What we did miss in the WDF was enough speed at slotback.
Sorry Blitz but this is one of the few times I will have to disagree with you. I don't think we missed the speed as much as we missed better playcalling. 3 of the 5 names you listed as speedy receivers were on our game day roster and were all used in the game, yet it didn't make a difference. Would Jackson or Taylor in for Simon or Bruce made much of a difference? I doubt it. Simon and Bruce are great possession receivers who are reliable and clutch and I would feel much more comfortable holding on to them both, but no one will be effective if they are called to run short 5 yard routes. I think our playcalling was atrocious and the real culprit for our pathetic offensive showing (unless the reason was that Lulay's shoulder was worse than reported).
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Buono released Calgary's all time receiver Allan Pitts when he felt Pitts has lost a step. Will he do the same with Arland and Geroy ?
I think Geroy continues as a 2nd down possession receiver for less $ and Taylor replaces Arland for less $ more speed and size and younger.
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Blitz wrote:We have deep threats on our roster. Courtney Taylor runs a 4.5 40 yard dash..fast enough to get him a 4 year contract with Seattle before his MS and to start as a wide receiver in the NFL.

Sorry Blitz but this is one of the few times I will have to disagree with you. I don't think we missed the speed as much as we missed better playcalling. 3 of the 5 names you listed as speedy receivers were on our game day roster and were all used in the game, yet it didn't make a difference. Would Jackson or Taylor in for Simon or Bruce made much of a difference? I doubt it. Simon and Bruce are great possession receivers who are reliable and clutch and I would feel much more comfortable holding on to them both, but no one will be effective if they are called to run short 5 yard routes. I think our playcalling was atrocious and the real culprit for our pathetic offensive showing (unless the reason was that Lulay's shoulder was worse than reported).
I respect that you view it differently The Pauser. However, if you go back to the games when we had Moore and Taylor in the slots and Ernest Jackson on the outside we went vertical a lot. The fact is that when we have Bruce and Simon in the slots, they are being used for shorter possession routes because they can`t get deep. With our slots running shorter possession routes, it enabled the Calgary safety or safety to come over and get double coverage on our faster receivers when we did attempt to throw deep. They would not have been able to cheat over or provide that kind of help if they feared our slots getting vertical down the middle.

Doubt I have convinced you though :wink: :wink: :wink:
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

I respect that you view it differently The Pauser. However, if you go back to the games when we had Moore and Taylor in the slots and Ernest Jackson on the outside we went vertical a lot. The fact is that when we have Bruce and Simon in the slots, they are being used for shorter possession routes because they can`t get deep. With our slots running shorter possession routes, it enabled the Calgary safety or safety to come over and get double coverage on our faster receivers when we did attempt to throw deep. They would not have been able to cheat over or provide that kind of help if they feared our slots getting vertical down the middle.

Doubt I have convinced you though :wink: :wink: :wink:
Haha well I certainly respect your opinion, and won't even begin to compare my tactical knowledge to yours, but I still don't see how we couldn't have implemented an effective gameplan catering to the strengths of our personnel. Travis Lulay averaged 5.6 yards per completion. That's absolutely pathetic and I blame the playcalling for that 100%. Bruce and Simon have proven this year that they're capable of big games, but even if they aren't able to break one deep, I still think they're capable of 10-20 yard gains consistently. I think the real problem is we allowed Calgary to cheat favouring the pass because we had no rushing threat whatsoever. Harris is more than capable of gaining big yards on the ground, yet we didn't use him. Forcing them to respect the run probably makes it easier for our receivers to get open.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Stamps played without their middle linebacker Juvan Simpson. Did the Lions attempt to attack this area ?
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Stamps played without their middle linebacker Juvan Simpson. Did the Lions attempt to attack this area ?
No!!!!!!!!!!! We hardly ran the football but when we did - the decision was to attack their defensive ends or go outside to attempt to minimize their outside pass rush.
woody
Champion

Does this look like pass int to you? ?looking at this picture i thought it was,but the tv guy said he timed it right.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9546/67980095.jpg
David
Team Captain

woody wrote:Does this look like pass int to you? ?looking at this picture i thought it was,but the tv guy said he timed it right.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9546/67980095.jpg
Yup, that's pretty much the working definition of it right there, Woody. Great work!

Certainly not using refs as an excuse for a sub-par performance, but we didn't get any breaks from the zebras Sunday. I thought the Bo Levi-Mitchell "touchdown" should have been more closely reviewed by the league. The extra point took no time at all. No way that they could have reviewed it from all angles. Hell, even straight fumbles sometimes take a good 5 minutes to dissect, let alone a TD to decide a team's season. :tp:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar