2012 WDF Attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What do think will be the attendance range for the 2012 West Division Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

29,999 and under
No votes
30,000 to 34,999
6%
35,000 to 39,999
15%
40,000 to 44,999
47%
45,000 to 49,999
26%
50,000 to sellout
6%

Total votes: 47
dfootball
Rookie

News1130 Sports‏@News1130Sports

#Lions president Dennis Skulsky says the team will release a ticket # update today for West Final - their selling fast.

Just saw this maybe 40,000 sold ?
MikeAK
All Star

dfootball wrote:News1130 Sports‏@News1130Sports

#Lions president Dennis Skulsky says the team will release a ticket # update today for West Final - their selling fast.

That would be awesome! I was one who thought 50K was a real possibility. While that may be a long shot it is still shaping up to be a nice crowd. Go Lions
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MikeAK wrote:

That would be awesome! I was one who thought 50K was a real possibility. While that may be a long shot it is still shaping up to be a nice crowd. Go Lions
Makes sense to me they should be very near 40K, if not over. Not sure what lower bowl capacity is, 29000?, but all that's left is 300 scattered singles. It looks like 10000+ upper bowl seats are now gone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dfootball
Rookie

I would think 40,000 or more, but i do not think we area going to hit 50,000 ,( my prediction 43,000) if it was sask yes, but as i said befor calgary has never been a big draw. i see there are lots of tickets left in the uppdeck corners, those will be the last to go, just too expensive to see calgary, sask that is a diffrent story.
MikeAK
All Star

dfootball wrote:I would think 40,000 or more, but i do not think we area going to hit 50,000 ,( my prediction 43,000) if it was sask yes, but as i said befor calgary has never been a big draw. i see there are lots of tickets left in the uppdeck corners, those will be the last to go, just too expensive to see calgary, sask that is a diffrent story.
Nobody supports their team like Sask. I'd say we lost out on a few thousand at least from potential Riders fans that would have made the trip down or come out from what ever rock they're hiding under to see the game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I've already mentioned how I've been tracking sales in seat-by-seat fashion in the $98 area of the upper bowl behind the Lions' bench (six sections totalling 3280 seats or about 6% of total capacity). This chart below shows the number of seats remaining available in this area, sampled about a dozen times since around 11pm this past Sunday night (vertical lines are spaced either at six hour gaps for grey, or 24 hour gaps for black, right edge of chart corresponds to 1:30pm Sunday kickoff).

I see no sign of availability falling off a cliff yet — only a gentle, steady uptake. I thought it might have started last night at the 1275 figure but my latest check around 1pm today (1252) makes that sample look merely somewhat noisy.

If the rest of the upper bowl were going at this rate, we'd be at 44k in total sales right about now as I type, projecting to around 45.5k at kickoff if the entire UB converges to this rate of uptake. Note also the steady population of singles at the bottom which has been rather static since at least as far back as Sunday night. I think we'll start to see a cliff form eventually but how steep and how soon is anyone's guess.

The next sales figure is promised sometime today apparently, and how far short it falls from 44k will tell you how slowly the rest of the UB is selling compared to this high-rent area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MikeAK
All Star

That's impressive, sj-roc.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:That's impressive, sj-roc.
Thanks, Mike — I take it you mean the graphic rather than the data embedded therein.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not in BC now but what is the marketing for this game like? Anything?

Secondly, the bad start with no media at practice until the last 15 minutes was not a good marketing story.

The CFL has to start to learn marketing at the HQ level and help assist their franchises on a growing the game strategy.

TSN has does its part. They outperform all other sports with the CFL broadcasts BUT that just hurts the in-stadium seating issues.

The other thing. Two games on the same day must absolutely have some impact on some fans who want to see both so they stay home. If you go to a game you want to make the game and after game experience the best. Div. finals on the same hurt that for some fans.

I know it means that both divisions get the same prep time for the next game BUT....................Not sure of the answer.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Big Time
Champion

Seems like there's a pretty easy solution here to scheduling the divisional finals on separate days. The team with the best record plays first. They've earned the reward of an extra Grey Cup day off assuming they advance.
MikeAK
All Star

sj-roc wrote:
MikeAK wrote:That's impressive, sj-roc.
Thanks, Mike — I take it you mean the graphic rather than the data embedded therein.
Actually I find all your work to be impressive. I've been following your last few posts on the attendance figures and it's all really well done. :beauty:
almo89
Legend

I wonder if Skulsky is even going to give us an update on the ticket sales tonight
MikeAK
All Star

almo89 wrote:I wonder if Skulsky is even going to give us an update on the ticket sales tonight
He might if his assistant gets back to him. I don't think he can count past 10 on his own.
almo89
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Even if there is a ticket-sales update tonight, we won't have time to get it on the air at Team 1040. As you're all perfectly aware, (I mean, it's the biggest story in Vancouver tonight) the Canucks were scheduled to play the Blackhawks tonight, and they need to discuss that to death. EA Sports ran a simulation and apparently we won 4-1, with Kesler getting two goals (for three on the season), and I think Higgins potted one as well. This is really big news, guys...we don't have time for things like attendance numbers updates on such an important day.

Frankly, I'm surprised they had time to get to the earlier bombshell sports story of the day: "is this a hockey town or a Canucks town?" I'm glad they squeezed in at least two hours of that topic today. Because, you know, our playoff game in four days, where the other team's QB just broke his wrist....who'd be interested in that?

Cheers,

James
I love hockey and the Canucks and all, but they are really grasping at straws when they are talking about an EA Sports sim of what would have happened if the Canucks did play the Blackhawks. I think they will go full on with the Lions tomorrow, but even yesterday, they were talking about the big Blue Jays trade all day. I loved Donny Taylor yesterday right when he got in. He said he was listening all day and all he heard was the big Blue Jays trade and was sick of it. He then stated that there is a BC Lions Western Final on Sunday and wanted people to talk about that instead.

I try to listen to David Pratt's show as much as I can. He tries to squeeze in as much Lions stuff as he can in less than 2 hours. Once the Dan Russell show starts, it's all hockey with some CFL dissing.