2012 WDF Attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What do think will be the attendance range for the 2012 West Division Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

29,999 and under
No votes
30,000 to 34,999
6%
35,000 to 39,999
15%
40,000 to 44,999
47%
45,000 to 49,999
26%
50,000 to sellout
6%

Total votes: 47
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Tough to guess what they might get. In the past 6 years they've had 5 home playoff dates. 2 drew in the 50K range and the other 3 in the 30K range. Argos will probably help their draw.
I just read that the Als are at 42,000 tickets sold for the Eastern Final. I wonder how many Argo fans will be travelling for that game?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

One. His name is David Braley.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

that sounds about right. With their general indifference to CFL plus the fact they are hosting a Grey Cup, I don't see many Argo fans making the trek
274always
All Star

David wrote:
Hambone wrote:Tough to guess what they might get. In the past 6 years they've had 5 home playoff dates. 2 drew in the 50K range and the other 3 in the 30K range. Argos will probably help their draw.
I just read that the Als are at 42,000 tickets sold for the Eastern Final. I wonder how many Argo fans will be travelling for that game?

argos are reserving a section. most likely Lori Bursey and the Friends Of the Argonauts will bring in a couple hundred.

Hosting the argos will actually draw more montrealers if only because it's toronto.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
David
Team Captain

Yea, that makes sense 274always.

The Argos tend to get painted with the same "apathy" brush 'cause it's, well, "Toronto" and many just assume that fan support just isn't there. But the people who are Argo fans are very knowledegable, passionate and loyal. There may not be hundreds of thousands of them like Saskatchewan, but they're there. I thought the Rogers Centre was quite loud last Sunday.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Buonosjanet69
Starter

yup, to be able to stick it to Toronto and at the same time ruin their chances of hosting a Grey Cup should be enough motivation for the fans to go out.

50,000+ fans screaming for Argo blood.. Ricky Ray and co will be under serious pressure to win that game in a very hostile environment. We should see two beauties on Sunday

Sask notwithstanding, the CFL couldn't have asked for better matchups. And BC vs either team would also deliver for the Grey Cup, though we all know what the marquee matchup would be...
Ravi
Legend

David wrote:

The only times that the Als drew less than 50k for an East Final were in 2006 when they had a terrible second half of the season and likely lost the faith of many of their fans and in '08 in a Grey Cup hosting year against the Esks of all teams. They drew 36k in '06 and 38k in '08 as has been mentioned. Divisional semi-final games are notoriously difficult sells in almost every city and those are the only other occasions where the Als "only" drew in the 30k+ range at the Big Owe over the last decade.

I am sure that there will be a healthy contingent of Argo fans at the game on Sunday. The Toronto/Montreal rivalry in any sport still gets the juices flowing in both cities. BTW, this is the seventh time since 2002 that the Argos and Als have met in the East Final with the Als currently holding a 5-1 edge. Hopefully this is the Argos' year. :cr:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:The only times that the Als drew less than 50k for an East Final were in 2006 when they had a terrible second half of the season and likely lost the faith of many of their fans and in '08 in a Grey Cup hosting year against the Esks of all teams. They drew 36k in '06 and 38k in '08 as has been mentioned. Divisional semi-final games are notoriously difficult sells in almost every city and those are the only other occasions where the Als "only" drew in the 30k+ range at the Big Owe over the last decade.

I am sure that there will be a healthy contingent of Argo fans at the game on Sunday. The Toronto/Montreal rivalry in any sport still gets the juices flowing in both cities. BTW, this is the seventh time since 2002 that the Argos and Als have met in the East Final with the Als currently holding a 5-1 edge. Hopefully this is the Argos' year. :cr:
Similar to what happened here in 2005. We started 11-0 amidst much handwringing that we won several games along the way that we could as easily have lost, before the bounces finally stopped going our way and we went a woeful 1-6 down the stretch. 12-6 was still good enough for first and to host the WF but the slow finish, coupled with the double whammy of hosting a sold out Grey Cup the following week, really slammed the brakes on ticket sales so we only drew 37,337, which wasn't even our best crowd for that year.

We hosted four WFs in a row from 2004-2007 that all drew >50k except that one, and got over 41k for the one last year in spite of the looming sold out Grey Cup (that extra 4k presumably being the difference between the weak 2005 finish and the strong 2011 one).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
aklawitter
All Star

sj-roc wrote: Similar to what happened here in 2005. We started 11-0 amidst much handwringing that we won several games along the way that we could as easily have lost, before the bounces finally stopped going our way and we went a woeful 1-6 down the stretch. 12-6 was still good enough for first and to host the WF but the slow finish, coupled with the double whammy of hosting a sold out Grey Cup the following week, really slammed the brakes on ticket sales so we only drew 37,337, which wasn't even our best crowd for that year.

We hosted four WFs in a row from 2004-2007 that all drew >50k except that one, and got over 41k for the one last year in spite of the looming sold out Grey Cup (that extra 4k presumably being the difference between the weak 2005 finish and the strong 2011 one).
printers threw a hail mary at the end of the game to geroy, who was mauled in the endzone by 3 esks players while the ball was in the air (he would have caught it, i was in the front row right there). no call. geroy chased every ref off the field. :ref:

sitting in the nosebleeds for the grey cup the next week almost made up for it
dfootball
Rookie

owner David Braley says 37,000 tickets sold for Western Final. Sellout is 53,000 plus, Braley likes his chances.

from 1130 am sports twitter just know

acually i heard it creeping up on 38, on cknw today, could we hit hit 40,000 by tom.

if we do then we could hit 50,000 even by sunday morning.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dfootball wrote:owner David Braley says 37,000 tickets sold for Western Final. Sellout is 53,000 plus, Braley likes his chances.

acually i heard it creeping up on 38, on cknw today, could we hit hit 40,000 by tom.

From a time series of screen caps of the ticketmaster seating map, I've been tracking since late Sunday evening in seat-by-seat fashion the sale of tickets specifically in the upper bowl behind the Lions sideline. This is the $98 "coach's sideline" price point area: basically, six sections — half of 438, all of 439-443 and half of 444, roughly between the 20s — comprising 3280 seats or about 6% of capacity. I've also been tracking the status of singles and so far they're a fairly static collection of seats as per my expectation.

If this particular area is anything to go by for a read on the whole stadium, the slow pace of sales in the last 48 hours or so — which so far has shown little to no sign of accelerating — will have to pick up MIGHTILY to have ANY hope of reaching 50k. In fact, it's pretty clear that uptake in the upper bowl to date is greatly overweighted to my tracking area (prob about the same situation on opposite sideline), because if the whole upper bowl were selling uniformly at the same rate, we'd already be around 42.8k instead of merely 37k as per the latest announcement.

Taking into account:

:football: nearly sold out lower bowl,

:football: extrapolation to kickoff Sunday of somewhat slow but steady sales I've seen in my tracking area,

:football: same final percentage of uptake in rest of upper bowl (this is prob the least reasonable assumption at the moment), and

:football: allowance for singles that likely won't sell,

my current attendance projection is 45,200. I'm going to continue my tracking through as close as possible to kickoff and might revise this in the days ahead if I see signs of either plateauing or acceleration, especially compared to announced sales figures. If attendance ends up falling short of this projection, I think it will be down largely to relative lack of uptake outside the 20s in the upper bowl, and THAT would be down to the out-of-whack pricing strategy that has been beaten to death on this board. People who aren't price sensitive are buying premium seats at a relatively brisk clip while the rest of the market has so far been rather gun-shy.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
almo89
Legend

dfootball wrote:owner David Braley says 37,000 tickets sold for Western Final. Sellout is 53,000 plus, Braley likes his chances.

Rich Dhaliwal, even back when he was with CKNW, seems to always get first dibs on ticket sales. Team1040 who has the rights to broadcast the BC Lions games, always seems to be a bit behind. The tweet from 1130 was probably from Dhaliwal and it was early in the morning. I didn't hear anything from Team1040 all day on ticket sales updates. They kept referring to 36,000 which was yesterday's number.
J5V
Rookie

From twitter at 1 in the afternoon (our time) on Tuesday afternoon:
-
Montreal Alouettes ‏@MTLAlouettes

Over 42,000 #Alouettes fans already have their tickets for Sunday's game. Want to join them? TICKETS -> http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/1000494A7624334F … #CFL
J5V
Rookie

From the Alouettes website:

Over 42,000 tickets sold for East Final
November 13, 2012

MontrealAlouettes.com

MONTREAL - Over 42,000 tickets have already been sold for the 2012 Eastern Final which will be played at Olympic Stadium on Sunday November 18 at 1:00 p.m. when the first-place Alouettes host the Toronto Argonauts.

Tickets, which begin at $25, taxes and fees included, are still available for sale in every category. Student-priced tickets are also available for just $20. The winner Sunday will book a spot in the 100th Grey Cup the following week in Toronto.

Tickets can be purchased by visiting ticketmaster.ca or by calling 1-855-790-1245
David
Team Captain

J5V wrote:From the Alouettes website:

Over 42,000 tickets sold for East Final
November 13, 2012
(ahem, look at the top of this page). :wink:

If I were an enterprising Marketing Executive with Tim Hortons, and as a league sponsor, I'd be pitting the Western host city against the Eastern host city to see which has the highest attendance on Sunday. Every ticket holder in the 'winning' city can present their ticket stub at a Tim Hortons outlet and receive a FREE Snack Pack of 20 Timbits®.

Roar, You Lions, Roar