Lions Nominees

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think Bighill will get the nod for the Western conference Nominee by virtue of where the Lions finish in the standings. Edmonton is fighting for their playoff lives. It can be argued that Bighill has a bigger impact on the Lions as opposed to Sterritt for the Eskimoes.
Plus the fact Edmonton's defence is ranked last in the league in most key categories, including yards rushing, yards passing, total yards, average yards per rush and many more. B.C.'s defence is ranked first in most categories.
Wally made a great point in the paper today. BC leads the league in two and outs. Edmonton's defense is on the field for way more plays than BC and as a result, Sheritt has more opportunities to make tackles. Bighill's numbers are lower because of the overall team success.
South Pender
Legend

Blitz wrote: Lulay is deserving of the award as well but his numbers are mostly down from last season
I'm not sure what numbers you're focusing on, but I believe that the key QB numbers, passing percentage and QB rating, are, in fact, up for Lulay this year over 2011.

(a) Passing percentage: 2011: 58.7% (342/583) vs. 2012: 66.6% (337/506)

(b) QB rating: 2011: 95.8 vs. 2012: 101.3.

In addition, his rushing yardage is higher this year than last,:

2011: 391 yards rushing in 18 games; 2012: 477 yards rushing in 15 games.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Buono ...
Lulay (most outstanding player): “When you look at the No. 1 offence and the team with the most wins, a lot is predicated on the quarterback. We’re first or second in almost everything, and we don’t have a receiver in the top 16 and the offensive stats are very productive,” he said.
Points well made by the GM.

#1 Offence

Most wins

Much predicated on the QB

First in almost everything

No receiver in the top ten

Offensive stats very productive

And as South Pender points out, Lulay's percentage, rating and rushing yardage are all up considerably over last year. For the cumulative numbers, he has played in 15 games so far.
Harris (top Canadian): “Look at offensive output,” said Buono, mindful of popular belief the balloting will between his back and Calgary’s Jon Cornish, one of six double nominees in the league. “A running back isn’t limited to running the ball. A running back is limited to offensive output, and Andrew is slightly ahead.”
Cornish is blowing his own horn. No surprise there. Cornish is kind of disgusting. I bet even his O Line doesn't like him. :wink: Shouldn't Andrew's total yards give it to him?
Bighill (top defensive player): “Everything is against him from having more stats,” Buono said of his middle linebacker, who is up against Edmonton’s JC Sherritt, the league leader in tackles.

“Because [Bighill’s] so dominant and has a tremendous impact on the best defence in the league he has more production with fewer plays.”

“He’s making stats on a team which has had much more two-and-outs than any other defence,” said fellow linebacker Anton McKenzie.
Agreed.
“It makes the year a lot better,” said Olafioye, who is in position to try in the NFL again after this season.
Tim Brown. STs
“But I don’t know of a better player in our conference,” Benevides said.
Westerman (top rookie)
But the 23-year-old established himself for the future when playing significant minutes this year when Eric Taylor and Khalif Mitchell were out, and already is considered part of the regular rotation on the defensive line.

“For a guy who was straight out of the college draft he was very effective,” said Benevides.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Blitz wrote: Lulay is deserving of the award as well but his numbers are mostly down from last season
I'm not sure what numbers you're focusing on, but I believe that the key QB numbers, passing percentage and QB rating, are, in fact, up for Lulay this year over 2011.

(a) Passing percentage: 2011: 58.7% (342/583) vs. 2012: 66.6% (337/506)

(b) QB rating: 2011: 95.8 vs. 2012: 101.3.

In addition, his rushing yardage is higher this year than last,:

2011: 391 yards rushing in 18 games; 2012: 477 yards rushing in 15 games.
I guess I was thining more of passing yardage and touchdown throws. Last season Lulay threw for 4815 yards and 32 touchdowns. This season he has thrown for 4143 yds and 27 touchdowns. We've scored 462 points this season and last year we scored 511 points and will unlikely reach those number of points this season, with one game to go. Of course Lulay has also missed two games.

Overall, though, no doubt that Lulay is a better quarterback this season. He has faced every type of defense possible and defenses have had a lot more video of him..and as you note, many key stats of his are up this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think Bighill will get the nod for the Western conference Nominee by virtue of where the Lions finish in the standings. Edmonton is fighting for their playoff lives. It can be argued that Bighill has a bigger impact on the Lions as opposed to Sterritt for the Eskimoes.
Plus the fact Edmonton's defence is ranked last in the league in most key categories, including yards rushing, yards passing, total yards, average yards per rush and many more. B.C.'s defence is ranked first in most categories.
Wally made a great point in the paper today. BC leads the league in two and outs. Edmonton's defense is on the field for way more plays than BC and as a result, Sheritt has more opportunities to make tackles. Bighill's numbers are lower because of the overall team success.
By this logic it might suggest that Cornish was more valuable as his runs led to less 2 and outs. So many stats and so many ways to look at them. Seriously this is a very tough call for these voters. Very tough. They will be right and wrong no matter how they choose.

The tough thing here is if these voters look at the great Normie Kwong records and Cornish on the runs and say WOW! or will the voters see fewer games for Kwong to get those yards and that JC is not the new not so Chinese - China Clipper?

On Bighill Wally makes a good point. IF the voters look at how many plays on the field versus just total tackles then Bighill is a deserved winner. Again no matter who of these got the nod, the voters will be both right and wrong. Tough decisions and in not all cases is the winner coming on a such a tight decision.

I can see Lulay not making it this year if just for the reason of missing these last games. If he were to come back and win the WDF and a GC in grand style - I think that will be too late as the votes will all be in before that (I think that is right??)

It was I suspect vastly different picking winners back in the Parker, Kwong, Russ Jackson days as the voters had less stats and fewer games seen ( I think that was the case). Now with so many more ways to cut and slice and dice these stats it is more complex and this year less easy for some picks to predict the winner.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For Harris to have a chance, he must at least maintain his lead in yards from scrimmage. Going into the final game, he leads Sheets by 7 yards and Cornish by 47 yards.

Another key statistic is first downs. Harris has picked up 71 key first downs (55 rushes for first down and 16 second-down receptions for a first down). Cornish has 69 (63 rushes and 6 second-down receptions).

Cornish leads Harris in touchdowns, 13 to 10.

Cornish hass 42 rushes of 10 yards or more. Harris has 27.

At this point, Harris's advantage over Cornish in yards from scrimmage isn't enough to offset Cornish's league-leading rushing totals and his lead in several other statistical categories. Cornish also faces the Eskimos, against whom he has averaged 156 yards from scrimmage in three games this year. Harris plays the Riders, against whom he has averaged 80 yards. The odds strongly favour Cornish.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:For Harris to have a chance, he must at least maintain his lead in yards from scrimmage. Going into the final game, he leads Sheets by 7 yards and Cornish by 47 yards.

Another key statistic is first downs. Harris has picked up 71 key first downs (55 rushes for first down and 16 second-down receptions for a first down). Cornish has 69 (63 rushes and 6 second-down receptions).

Cornish leads Harris in touchdowns, 13 to 10.

Cornish hass 42 rushes of 10 yards or more. Harris has 27.

At this point, Harris's advantage over Cornish in yards from scrimmage isn't enough to offset Cornish's league-leading rushing totals and his lead in several other statistical categories. Cornish also faces the Eskimos, against whom he has averaged 156 yards from scrimmage in three games this year. Harris plays the Riders, against whom he has averaged 80 yards. The odds strongly favour Cornish.
Something in the water in Calgary once again, as Cornish is bashing Lulay's qualification for MOP saying that he has missed games and shouldn't be considered. One thing I do know, is that I would rather have Cornish playing for the Stamps vs the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

My picks

MOP - T Lulay BC v C Williams HAM
DEF - J Sherritt EDM v R Williams HAM
CDN - J Cornish CAL v S Emery MTL
ROOKIE - J Westerman BC v C Matthews WPG
STS - T Brown BC v C Owens TOR
OL - J Olafioye BC v J Bourke MTL
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:I guess I was thining more of passing yardage and touchdown throws. Last season Lulay threw for 4815 yards and 32 touchdowns. This season he has thrown for 4143 yds and 27 touchdowns. We've scored 462 points this season and last year we scored 511 points and will unlikely reach those number of points this season, with one game to go. Of course Lulay has also missed two games.

Overall, though, no doubt that Lulay is a better quarterback this season. He has faced every type of defense possible and defenses have had a lot more video of him..and as you note, many key stats of his are up this season.
Also if one is looking at this year versus last this year's numbers come from playing a full 18 games. This year's numbers are over 15 games.
2011: 342 of 583 (58.7%) for 4815 yards 32 TDs and 11 INTs

2012 YTD prorated to 18 games: 404 of 607 for 4972 yards 32.4 TDs and 12 INTs. Pretty much a wash.

Perhaps a better indication is how much more consistent his play has been based on passing efficiency:

2012: 6 of 15 games > 100%; 5 in the 90%-100% range. The other 4 were 89.8%, 81.8%, 69.4% and 68.3%.

2011: 8 of 18 games > 100%; 4 in the 90%-100% range and the other 6 from 76.6% down to 63.9%

Last year 66% of his starts came out with a rating > 76.6%. Most were after the turnaround started. This year 80% of his starts produced a rating of 89.8% or greater.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Something in the water in Calgary once again, as Cornish is bashing Lulay's qualification for MOP saying that he has missed games and shouldn't be considered. One thing I do know, is that I would rather have Cornish playing for the Stamps vs the Lions.
Players who expose their derriere to the fans aren't deserving of any awards. What a classless twit
Cougar Country
Rookie

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:[I see Lulay and Bighill winning the finalist awards!
Bighill will be in tough against JC Sherritt. They both have put in similar seasons playing a similar style. Bighill has more sacks, Sherritt more tackles and interceptions. By mid-August a lot of pundits already had Sherritt pretty much a lock thanks to his fast start.

True enough, but the rest of the league, including TSN is on the Sherrit making most of his tackles 10 yards downfield...yes, he makes tackles, sideline to sideline, but a MLB needs to be an impact player, and that is making plays in the opposition back field, not your own endzone...
Ironic that Sherritt's record-tieing and record-breaking tackles last night both came after the Calgary backup RB Walter had already achieved the first down, on key plays that helped set up the Stamps for the game winning FG two plays later. Maybe the Edmonton defense should've spent a little less time celebrating after those plays and a little more time figuring out how to stop the Stamps from marching down the field. Or maybe they really wanted to go to Toronto next week after all.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Cougar Country wrote:Ironic that Sherritt's record-tieing and record-breaking tackles last night both came after the Calgary backup RB Walter had already achieved the first down, on key plays that helped set up the Stamps for the game winning FG two plays later. Maybe the Edmonton defense should've spent a little less time celebrating after those plays and a little more time figuring out how to stop the Stamps from marching down the field. Or maybe they really wanted to go to Toronto next week after all.
I noticed that too but I also noticed their coverage scheme was a factor. Sherritt had dropped back there in coverage. He made those tackles from dropping 10 yards back into coverage, not pursuit from the line. Bighill does that a lot too but my sense is that in the Eskimo scheme Sherritt spends more time in coverage and less up at the line than does Adam under Stubler's scheme.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Cougar Country wrote: Or maybe they really wanted to go to Toronto next week after all.
Maybe they wanted to go to Toronto so Rod Black could have another week of beating the Ray/Shaw/Boyd matchup story to death.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

After last night Bighill's chances are just that. He has a big hill to climb to get the West nomination. TSN spent a ton of time focusing on Sherritt and the record and when it comes time to vote it becomes very difficult for voters to overlook a guy who has just set an all-time CFL record. Similarly Cornish breaking a 55 year old record makes Harris' chances that much more difficult.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:After last night Bighill's chances are just that. He has a big hill to climb to get the West nomination. TSN spent a ton of time focusing on Sherritt and the record and when it comes time to vote it becomes very difficult for voters to overlook a guy who has just set an all-time CFL record. Similarly Cornish breaking a 55 year old record makes Harris' chances that much more difficult.
Unfortunately, I agree. It's all about hype and stats, and Sherritt and Cornish were hyped for three straight hours last night.

I've never been a Sherritt fan. The Esks finished the season with the league's worst defence overall, worst against the run, and second-worst against the pass (less than one yard per game better than Hamilton). Without Sherritt, they could only be better. In fact, in the one game he missed due to injury, the Esks contained a powerful Hamilton offence and broke their 5-game losing streak. Similarly, the game he missed due to injury against B.C. last year, the Esks held Andrew Harris to 6 yards from scrimmage after he had picked up 175 yards in the previous meeting with Sherritt in the lineup. Coincidence? Not a chance.