Krazy George????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Does anyone have a copy of a photo of George when he was with he lions I would like to have a photo framed for my collection. If you have a copy please email me one or post on here. Thank you

TFWTF
dfootball
Rookie

here is one i found from his website

http://www.krazygeorge.com/indexFS.html
JohnHenry
Champion

On Krazy's website, he claims he invented the wave in Oct. 1981, two weeks before UW claimed to have invented it. I remember doing the Krazy George-inspired wave at Empire Stadium several years before they closed it down in '82. I also remember the wave participation dying out towards the end of Empire after being thrilling in a packed stadium a couple years earlier. So I'm pretty sure Lions fans we were doing the wave at Empire in 1981 and I had thought since the late 70's or perhaps 1980? So perhaps we invented the wave?? :clown:
almo89
Legend

The Lions should hire Krazy George just for the Western Final
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the only wave that was invented in Vancouver was the waving of white towels. :surrender: :surrender:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:The Lions should hire Krazy George just for the Western Final
He's basically retired these days and restricts his act to the smaller venues, minor league ballparks. The last time he was at BCP was early in Ackles' return, and I hate to say it but I don't think it was a very successful outing for him; I never got the sense that the crowd was really with him that night. His heyday is so far in the past now that I would say much of the Lions' regular fanbase these days has little to no firsthand recognition of him.

Deadspin had a fairly reverent feature on him over four years ago:

Still Krazy After All These Years
These days, George lives in the notoriously lion-free area of Perryville, Maryland, where he and his fiance have a place on the Chesapeake Bay. He still takes cheerleading jobs, but his days of working the big stadiums are over.

"I like small stadiums where I can interact with the fans without killing myself," he said. "Minor league baseball is purrfect for that. I come here (Stockton) every year just about, and I love it. There's nothing better than minor league baseball."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Who's the guy doing the cheerleading in the stands now? He looks pretty crazy too.
almo89
Legend

Who's the guy doing the cheerleading in the stands now? He looks pretty crazy too.
That's crazy P. I remember when he first started, he would try to get people to do the wave or get them to be loud when we were on offense :bang:
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Crazy Pete is good but not as good as Krazy. I told him that to his face last year and then he gave me the dirtiest look. LOL
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Thanks dfootball I must have skipped that when looking at his site
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
That's crazy P. I remember when he first started, he would try to get people to do the wave or get them to be loud when we were on offense :bang:
He has improved in that area. I have to give him credit for something I saw from him last week. At one point a bunch of clowns in my section were trying to start the wave just as we were about to go on offence, but he happened to be right there watching it, started pounding on his drum, got their attention and basically told them to knock it off in so many words. It was music to my ears to hear him talking like that, so I looked over at him, caught his eye and gave him a huge thumbs up. It didn't stop those guys from trying right away but with everyone else in my section taking heed, their continued efforts went for naught and eventually they gave up.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess he attended Football 101 because a few years ago he was trying to start the wave while the Lions were on offence.
Rammer
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:The Lions should hire Krazy George just for the Western Final

Indeed the Lions have done that and here is a picture of him and that other crazy dude from that day at the TG.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Part of the Krazy George bit was the interesting entry into Empire Stadium. I remember him coming in by ambulance, with the Hell's Angels and in a Hot Air Balloon for example.

BCP doesn't have that same feel where he can have the kind of impact he could have in the small outdoor venue.

When he was brought to BCP you could hardly hear or notice him.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to have a guest appearance if he's up to it.
D
Team Captain

TheFanWithTheFlag wrote:Crazy Pete is good but not as good as Krazy. I told him that to his face last year and then he gave me the dirtiest look. LOL
Crazy P couldn't carry Krazy George's drumstick .... it really shouldn't take a guy 7 or more seasons to know that you don't get the crowd riled up when we are on offense. :bang:

Krazy George is one of a kind, the first time I saw him was at a Canuck game in 1973?74?. He was up here with the California Golden Seals booster club and EVERYONE in attendance wondered who is this Krazy Guy :rotf:
I own The Grey Cup! .com