A few thoughts on penalties....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, James, very interesting ...
jcalhoun wrote:The breakdown on the penalties we're actually taking:
Procedure/Offside: 35
Holding: 12
Facemask: 11

The Top Ten most penalized players on the team. Name, Number of Penalties & Yards:

26 Reddick, Anthony 9/96
96 Mitchell, Khalif 5/55

The O-line, because that's where games are won:

65 Archibald, Ben 2/15
67 Hameister-Ries, Jon 1/5
64 Reid, Angus 2/20
54 Valli, Dean 4/30
63 Olafioye, Jovan 5/25
Too many procedure, facemasks and offsides methinks ...

Too many for Reddick, including two offsides last game ...

Mitchell OK, except for the taunting with the "cross" ... And no soccer dribbling allowed either :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In general the team that takes the most penalties is the one that is getting outplayed. Arguably the lions best game (at least the last 3 quarters) was at home against the Als. The Lions best game and least penalties.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting stats. How many penalties for having no end ? or is that lobbed in under Procedures ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Thanks for all the number crunching...

Penalties are stranger than the actual stats also, IMO. Every single team in the CFL has lost a large gain and/or an interception due to a penalty like an offiside. These are penalties that had no real impact upon the play other than being the reason it was reversed, (Parkers INT vs the Argos for eg). Sometimes the penalty was why the gain was made (usually holding). But those 5 yard penalties that take a 50 yard passing play off the board really :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:In general the team that takes the most penalties is the one that is getting outplayed. Arguably the lions best game (at least the last 3 quarters) was at home against the Als. The Lions best game and least penalties.
Very true in many instances. It also detracts from the rhythm of a game for your team if you are taking them but a momentum builder if they go the other way.

Code: Select all

And finally, the most amazing penalty stat of the team:

42 McKenzie, Anton 0 penalties
44 Bighill, Adam 1/10

That's frickin amazing.
Not sure about #42 but Bighill is having a monstrous year and doesn't need to take penalties as he is tough and hits hard and is technically sound.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish last week called McKenzie "the most underrated defender on the Lions and, perhaps, the CFL." It's hard for an all-star to be underrated but the description fits. Without doing anything to call attention to himself, he just quietly leads the league's No. 1 defence and seldom gets his name called by the announcers when he makes a play. He's not having his biggest year statistically but is still second on the team in tackles.
bbking
Starter

Interesting stats.
A further break down of penalities would be what we can call football play penalities and non football play penalities.
Penalities aquired during the regular run of the play, such as; A split second too late hit on a qb resulting in a roughing the passer penality or a momentary grab of the face mask resulting in a face masking penalty, are the result of regular hard action and often can not be helped.
But late hits out of bounds , taunting and others including making a crossing motion across one neck are of the silly if not darn right stupid variety that would fall under the non footbal play penalities. These non football play penalities would fare out weight the severity of regular football play penalites IMO.
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

So I crunched some numbers, because I was bored. Here is what the Lions have done in terms of penalties this year:

The breakdown on the penalties we're actually taking:
Procedure/Offside: 35
Holding: 12
Facemask: 11
Illegal Block: 9
No Yards: 7
Unnecessary Roughness: 6
Pass Interference: 6
Objectionable Conduct: 3
Roughing Passer: 2
Roughing Kicker: 2
Time Count: 2
Illegal Punt: 2
Illegal KO: 2
Grounding: 1

There are two missing from this list. Dammit! I'm too lazy at the moment to go back through my work and find where my error was.

The Top Ten most penalized players on the team. Name, Number of Penalties & Yards:

26 Reddick, Anthony 9/96
96 Mitchell, Khalif 5/55
31 Marsh, Dante 3/46
9 Williams, Keron 6/40
88 Foster, Akeem 4/40
4 McCallum, Paul 4/36
3 Muamba, Cauchy 3/35
27 LaRose, J.R. 3/35
54 Valli, Dean 4/30
45 Arakgi, Jason 2/30

The O-line, because that's where games are won:

65 Archibald, Ben 2/15
67 Hameister-Ries, Jon 1/5
64 Reid, Angus 2/20
54 Valli, Dean 4/30
63 Olafioye, Jovan 5/25

And the D-line, just because that's how I roll:

9 Williams, Keron 6/40
79 Taylor, Eric 1/5
96 Mitchell, Khalif 5/55
94 Smith, Khreem 2/20
99 Westerman, Jabar 1/15

And finally, the most amazing penalty stat of the team:

42 McKenzie, Anton 0 penalties
44 Bighill, Adam 1/10

That's frickin amazing.

Cheers,

James
Three random comments on the above:
- is it my imagination, or are we seeing an awful lot more facemasking overall this season?
- I didn't realise Larose was still playing. Is he just doing special teams? And if he's been flagged three times this season and I haven't even heard his name (granted I missed three games being in the backcountry in late July), what does that say about his contribution?
- the number penalties taken by each O-lineman speaks volumes about who is and isn't pulling his weight on the line. However, I'm unsure about whether that also applies to the D-line. OL are usually flagged for holding which reflects a failure to do their job, while on DL it's usually offside or unnecessary roughness which means they're doing their job a little too aggressively.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks again James..awesome information...

And if there is a silver lining, it is that most of the penalties (nearly half) are careless, undisciplined penalties, and not because the player had no other choice...which is significant because these can be corrected, and it also means our players are not overmatched by the opposition...

The offsides on the Defence are becoming too common and must stop...

Great comments BCFAN on McKenzie...very quietly Anton is indeed having another excellent season being the silent leader...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:And some more:

Through 12 games we have a total of 102 penalties for 935 yards. We average 8.5 penalties per game, and get dinged for 77.9 yards per outing. Our opponents have a total of 111 penalties playing against us, for an average of 9.2 per game. Total penalty yardage for our opponents is 962 yards for 80.2 yards per game.

But watch what happens here on the home versus away!

When we're playing in the other team's barn, the other teams have a total of 349 penalty yards, for an average of 58.2 yards per game.

When we play in BC Place, our opponents have a total of 613 penalty yards, for an average of 102.2 yards per game.

Talk about home field advantage!

Cheers,

James
Crazy difference with our opponents penalty minutes home vs away. Now you have me wondering what the Lions penalty minutes are home vs away.
Entertainment value = an all time low