Has the volume of advertising gone too far?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

beaglehound
Starter

Lions4ever wrote:I accept that advertising around sporting events, particularly the CFL, is a necessary evil. I do sympathize with beaglehound's point and it is fairly stated. For my part, I do despise the ad patches on the jerseys, the ads painted on most CFL turfs and the ads on the goalpost padding. Hate all of those. They scream minor league to me. I recall reading that when Commissioner Cohon came into office he wanted to get rid of the "NASCAR effect" in the CFL.

In my misguided opinion, the CFL should be doing the same thing the NFL does with these surfaces. Advertise itself. (yes, yes I know they're swimming in money, I get that) BC's turf is a big blank. Why has no Lions crest been painted at midfield or "British Columbia Lions" been emblazoned across the end zones? It's football. It's what's done.
Thanks Lions4ever. I agree about the mid field and end zone improvements that could be made. Take a look at Canad Inns in Winnipeg.

David
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:They had a BC Lions logo at midfield during the first year at Empire. It looked really cool on TV. Not sure why they got rid of it in the second season.

Probably because the Whitecaps became tenants in Year Two and the inherent challenges of removing the painted logos.

almo89 wrote:...Any idea why the Lions are allowed to have no ads on their field when every other team does?

'Cause our owner runs the league. :wink:

Kidding aside, I seem to recall reading something several years ago when the final "pre-reno" turf was installed at BC Place that a compromise was reached that spared us from on-field advertising, but no team logos could appear either. Not sure why. However, this obviously just holds for regular season games as the 2011 Grey Cup game featured both team logos AND on-field advertising.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
almo89 wrote:They had a BC Lions logo at midfield during the first year at Empire. It looked really cool on TV. Not sure why they got rid of it in the second season.

Probably because the Whitecaps became tenants in Year Two and the inherent challenges of removing the painted logos.

almo89 wrote:...Any idea why the Lions are allowed to have no ads on their field when every other team does?

'Cause our owner runs the league. :wink:

Kidding aside, I seem to recall reading something several years ago when the final "pre-reno" turf was installed at BC Place that a compromise was reached that spared us from on-field advertising, but no team logos could appear either. Not sure why. However, this obviously just holds for regular season games as the 2011 Grey Cup game featured both team logos AND on-field advertising.

IR a similar story on that, but the difference between the GC and regular season games having vs not having logos, smacks of cost saving to me. With the CFL in mind, that is the root to many equations.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

beaglehound wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:I accept that advertising around sporting events, particularly the CFL, is a necessary evil. I do sympathize with beaglehound's point and it is fairly stated. For my part, I do despise the ad patches on the jerseys, the ads painted on most CFL turfs and the ads on the goalpost padding. Hate all of those. They scream minor league to me. I recall reading that when Commissioner Cohon came into office he wanted to get rid of the "NASCAR effect" in the CFL.

In my misguided opinion, the CFL should be doing the same thing the NFL does with these surfaces. Advertise itself. (yes, yes I know they're swimming in money, I get that) BC's turf is a big blank. Why has no Lions crest been painted at midfield or "British Columbia Lions" been emblazoned across the end zones? It's football. It's what's done.
Thanks Lions4ever. I agree about the mid field and end zone improvements that could be made. Take a look at Canad Inns in Winnipeg.

Unfortunately they failed to update the field when the Bombers changed their logo this year from the football-overlaid W seen here to the current unadorned W.

Actually it's even worse than that; they changed the midfield logo in time for their Week 5 home opener but left the end zones as is, and it's been that way ever since. So you've got a lack of uniformity from the two different logos, which aren't even in the same shade of blue. I suppose for folks like L4E that this exemplifies the bush level of the league's attention to field detail, and I'm inclined to agree with that viewpoint.

I know the Bombers weren't even supposed to be in that stadium this year, so that any modification of its turf was probably lesser-priority, but if so, why bother troubling to change the midfield logo and upset the uniformity? It's almost as if they eerily figured that the Bombers wouldn't be scoring very many touchdowns this year, so it wouldn't be that obvious.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
beaglehound
Starter

Well, I think the Lions can do a whole lot more to spiffy up their end zones. The lines and numbers on the field could be a much brighter white as well. But maybe not with the artificial turf they use. I commented to management a few years ago before they upgraded the turf to what it is today. Sadly, the field looks quite washed out.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

beaglehound wrote:
David wrote:If we're going to complain about the club's pricing structure (legitimately I might add, as I am hearing this from so many different sources) and implore the club to reduce the cost of seats in many sections of BC Place, then we can't very well complain about too much advertising!

Can't have it both ways, folks. This is a business, not a charity.

62% of the club's revenue comes from fans attending games (and revenues aren't going to materially increase if we see an attendance increase with a lower average priced ticket), so we can't very well say "no" to other revenue streams such as advertising.

I'd pay more for my seasons tickets if less advertising meant more enjoyment of the game for me.

You might pay more but others might be struggling and not be able to afford higher ticket prices. You sound like Mitt Romney now.
Dog, that's just green as they say in slang terms.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
beaglehound
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
beaglehound wrote:
David wrote:If we're going to complain about the club's pricing structure (legitimately I might add, as I am hearing this from so many different sources) and implore the club to reduce the cost of seats in many sections of BC Place, then we can't very well complain about too much advertising!

Can't have it both ways, folks. This is a business, not a charity.

62% of the club's revenue comes from fans attending games (and revenues aren't going to materially increase if we see an attendance increase with a lower average priced ticket), so we can't very well say "no" to other revenue streams such as advertising.

I'd pay more for my seasons tickets if less advertising meant more enjoyment of the game for me.

You might pay more but others might be struggling and not be able to afford higher ticket prices. You sound like Mitt Romney now.
Dog, that's just green as they say in slang terms.
Oh gag me. Pahleeez, not Mitt Romney! :puke:

Gee TV.... are you saying that at today's ticket prices everyone can still afford them? What about the families that cannot even afford today's ticket prices? I guess they're just out of luck, is that it? There will always be people that cannot afford to go for one reason or another. It's all a matter of perspective. You believe today's prices are affordable because you can afford them. Others cannot. I'm willing to pay a little more. Some will not be able to. What's changed?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

sj-roc wrote: I know the Bombers weren't even supposed to be in that stadium this year, so that any modification of its turf was probably lesser-priority, but if so, why bother troubling to change the midfield logo and upset the uniformity? It's almost as if they eerily figured that the Bombers wouldn't be scoring very many touchdowns this year, so it wouldn't be that obvious.
The Bombers may not be scoring many TDs, but the teams they're playing against seem to be making pretty good use of the Bombers' end zone.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B'dog --

That was my point exactly. You can't raise ticket prices in this economy as too many are finding it a stretch now (just read these forums). It used to be that football was far more family friendly but now prices are rising and getting ahead of the wages curve.

It is one thing with the Canucks and just 18000 seats to fill. The Lions have a huge place and could afford to take less per seat if they could start marketing successfully to broader audiences. That green ink is getting to you - you missed my point. That green ink was getting to me like The Chicken Roaster episode of Seinfeld was getting to Jerry.

Are you a green inker of Carl Sagan fame?

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-gre5.htm
The term (green ink writer) refers to a particular kind of letter writer, who claims that he is the victim of some injustice, or who composes long and vehement complaints against a person or an organisation, or who believes that a numerical calculation based on the name of the Prime Minister shows he’s an agent of the devil, or who is sure that invisible rays are being beamed into his house by his next-door neighbour to cause him injury, or who puts forward a thesis which, if adopted, will lead inevitably to world peace.
You are part of a quite distinct group including featured in a book by none other than CARL SAGAN!!!!
There are hints of a much older association of eccentricity with green ink, however. Subscriber Anelie Walsh e-mailed from Australia following the first appearance of this piece to mention that it turns up in Carl Sagan’s book The Cosmic Connection (1973):

“There came in the post an eighty-five-page handwritten letter, written in green ball-point ink, from a gentleman in a mental hospital in Ottawa. He had read a report in a local newspaper that I had thought it possible that life exists on other planets; he wished to reassure me that I was entirely correct in this supposition, as he knew from his own personal knowledge”.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
beaglehound
Starter

"That green ink is getting to you " ...by Toppy Vann

Forgive me if I'm a little concerned about you Toppy but if you were a little more observant and looked more carefully at my last post you would have noticed it is in orange, not green. Have you had your eyes checked for color blindness?

Here ia quick and simple test:

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html

The test itself can be found near the bottom of the page :tease:
Buonosjanet69
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:B'dog --

It is one thing with the Canucks and just 18000 seats to fill. The Lions have a huge place and could afford to take less per seat if they could start marketing successfully to broader audiences. That green ink is getting to you - you missed my point. That green ink was getting to me like The Chicken Roaster episode of Seinfeld was getting to Jerry.
Canucks sell out all 700,000 seats during season while the Lions only sell half of their 400,000 seats. Way more expensive ticket and way more dates to cover but they manage to sell them all out
Rammer
Team Captain

Buonosjanet69 wrote:

Canucks sell out all 700,000 seats during season while the Lions only sell half of their 400,000 seats. Way more expensive ticket and way more dates to cover but they manage to sell them all out
Hockey to football comparison in Canada is crazy. First off you have corporate Canada purchasing the Canuck tickets as the cool ticket in town, secondly you are only seeing the 15K group with ST, Lions 22K with ST, thirdly the Canucks only have to sell the 19K tickets per game, Lions 54K. I would hazzard a guess that if the Canucks had to sell 54K that even they would be hard pressed to sellout each game. The way more expensive ticket can be exploited due to the limited seating even with the extra games. There are only 4K in tickets available for each game, so for the whole season 160K tickets available to the non ST watchers. That is where the difference becomes difficult for the Lions, they need to sell double that 160K in tickets over 10 home game dates.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Buonosjanet69 wrote:

The Canucks did not sellout all their seats as Team1040 said there were unpurchased tickets for several games last season. The Lions will average over 30,000 fans per game this season...X 10 games = 300,000+ seats sold...which is more than half of the 550,000 available seats.
Anglophone
All Star

You remind me of my father. Every time he sees the Stanley Cup logo flash on the screen when they go to commercials during the NHL playoffs, he complains about it as if he were personally harmed from seeing something.

Perhaps you should buy the advertising space and have it removed that way.

Do you object to commercial breaks during television on such grounds? After all, you're being "forced" to view them.
beaglehound
Starter

Anglophone wrote:You remind me of my father. Every time he sees the Stanley Cup logo flash on the screen when they go to commercials during the NHL playoffs, he complains about it as if he were personally harmed from seeing something.

Perhaps you should buy the advertising space and have it removed that way.

Do you object to commercial breaks during television on such grounds? After all, you're being "forced" to view them.
Find a dictionary or go on line and look up the word "moderation".....that's mod-er-ay-shun, in case you cannot say the word. While you're at it look up the word "volume" as in "vah- lewm" I did not say I was opposed to advertising. I asked if the volume of advertising had gone to far. What part of the question did you not understand? Ask your father. He can help you. While you're at it have him explain what a PVR is. :tease: