Bombers No Help

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I don't recall when a team has taken so many unnecessary RP penalties during the course of the teams. There were 3 once again this game that totally fell into the brainless category.
I don't know Dale. The Bombers under Dave Ritchie were pretty good at that. Actually any team coached by Dave Ritchie tended to be at or near the top of the CFL in undisciplined penalties.
IIRC we broke the record for most penalty yardage in one season under Ritchie during our 1994 championship campaign, and then we "improved" on it the year afterward.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

A recall a few years back, a certain HOF coach, now GM decided to punt rather than kick a field goal.......hmmm, recall pretty much the same result.

Stegall put it best "Playing not to lose, rather than playing to win"
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:A recall a few years back, a certain HOF coach, now GM decided to punt rather than kick a field goal.......hmmm, recall pretty much the same result.

Stegall put it best "Playing not to lose, rather than playing to win"
No we were going for the win with the single, slightly different. The FG would have only been going to force the Riders to score a TD 75 yards away.
Entertainment value = an all time low
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Same result.....We punted from the 30 rather than kicking a FG. Both teams lost.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Same result.....We punted from the 30 rather than kicking a FG. Both teams lost.
Well to say the result was the same is rather broad based, what counts is the circumstances and they were not the same.
agent2
All Star

Yeah and it gets back to my original point about over-coaching (or playing to not lose) and why they would risk their job. Coaches have to put faith in the players, in this case a makeable 42 yard FG. I feel the same when O-team is near midfield with a few seconds left in the 2nd qtr and they take two knees instead of taking a couple of shots at a TD... especially in the CFL where YAK yards can be huge.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

agent2 wrote:Yeah and it gets back to my original point about over-coaching (or playing to not lose) and why they would risk their job. Coaches have to put faith in the players, in this case a makeable 42 yard FG. I feel the same when O-team is near midfield with a few seconds left in the 2nd qtr and they take two knees instead of taking a couple of shots at a TD... especially in the CFL where YAK yards can be huge.
You know the "Y" in "YAK" already stands for yards, right?

EDIT: Also, the last letter should be a "C" as in "catch".

Pet peeve out.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
agent2 wrote:Yeah and it gets back to my original point about over-coaching (or playing to not lose) and why they would risk their job. Coaches have to put faith in the players, in this case a makeable 42 yard FG. I feel the same when O-team is near midfield with a few seconds left in the 2nd qtr and they take two knees instead of taking a couple of shots at a TD... especially in the CFL where YAK yards can be huge.
You know the "Y" in "YAK" already stands for yards, right?

EDIT: Also, the last letter should be a "C" as in "catch".

Pet peeve out.
I think he's just really buying into that Orange Krush concept from the nickname thread.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
agent2
All Star

OK, you are correct, pet peeve vented and accepted. I'm just sayin' it like the announcers, "Yak yards", using a K for phonetics, instead of the proper written word. I haven't heard an announcer say a receiver had plenty of yac (k) on that play... maybe because it could be confused for trash talk or puke.
ziggy
Legend

Went to get my car insurance a couple of days ago, what a nightmare. Wouldn't you know it they asked for my VIN number, I can never remember it, so I have it in my smart phone, but darned if I could read it because the LCD display was all messed up. Then I go to the ATM machine to get some cash and I forget my darn PIN number. At that point the day couldn't have got any worse, even if an ICBM missle was inbound!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:Went to get my car insurance a couple of days ago, what a nightmare. Wouldn't you know it they asked for my VIN number, I can never remember it, so I have it in my smart phone, but darned if I could read it because the LCD display was all messed up. Then I go to the ATM machine to get some cash and I forget my darn PIN number. At that point the day couldn't have got any worse, even if an ICBM missle was inbound!
Thanks for the chuckle.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So what about yards after contact for an RB? or is it yards after initial contact : YAIC. Of course I have no idea how to pronounce YAIC. yeah-ick?
Rammer
Team Captain

:cool: :cheer:
ziggy wrote:Went to get my car insurance a couple of days ago, what a nightmare. Wouldn't you know it they asked for my VIN number, I can never remember it, so I have it in my smart phone, but darned if I could read it because the LCD display was all messed up. Then I go to the ATM machine to get some cash and I forget my darn PIN number. At that point the day couldn't have got any worse, even if an ICBM missle was inbound!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:I'm usually a fairly considerate guy, but I was once in the "10 items or less" aisle and overshot the mark by one or two --quite accidentally. The woman in line behind me scolded me, and I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I responded with, "it should read 10 items or fewer --when they can take the time to put up a grammatically correct sign, I'll take the time to count my items". Completely shut her up. I mentally made the first down signal, and turned to check out.

Cheers,

James
I've seen some places where they put "about" in front of the cutoff number, which makes it almost meaningless. And then there's the issue of exactly what is meant by "item". Some places give quantity price breaks — Weston chains (no frills, superstore, extra foods, etc) are noteworthy in this regard — so does it count as one item whether I buy 3/$5.00 or 1/$1.99? What about the person who buys a 2 L Pepsi? Does he get a break over the person who buys a 1 L Pepsi and a 1 L Mountain Dew for variety's sake? So many grey areas. :dizzy: