Argos release Boyd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Rammer wrote:
DanoT wrote:I think Esks interest in Boyd depends a bit on how Messum is doing with his tryout in the NFL.
Messam is injured, it may suggest with the signing of Boyd, it is long term.

Plus it does lead us to speculate on Tillman's words of waiting until later in the season to review the trade. The CFL closed the option of 'delayed' trades from happening, but this seems to fall into that category.
And President Bush and his brother or was it his cousin took down the World Trade Center. It was an inside job.

President Obama was not born in the USA and who cares what the birth certificates, newspaper announcements of his birth and attending nurses and doctors all say.

President Kennedy was killed by the guy who popped out and back into the manhole not the guy in the book depository (Oswald) or the phantom from the grassy knoll. My fav is the one from the manhole so I'm believing that one.

They never landed on the moon but on a set in NASA.

They just did the same thing and faked this Mars trip with Curiosity. Notice how they always show some grainy photo and then revert to the models? Exactly.... another fraud exposed.

I don't just know how these simple conspiracies don't get solved when it doesn't take football fans 5 minutes to figure out the dumping of Cory Boyd was planned at the time of the Ricky Ray trade. Of course the Esks decided it was good to take all that heat for the trade and waiting and hoping and praying the Boyd wouldn't get hurt in the first 6 games. I am surprised it took 10 hours of risky time to complete the trade (err..umm.... I mean sign the guy to a contract.)

Yes, the clue and we missed it when ET kept saying judge the trade in November.

Of course Mr. Braley had to be in on the fix too as team owner. He had to know that Boyd was to be part of the deal. They couldn't lie to the owner of the team who would have been apprised of such a deal. If they did lie to the owner (very risky) what might the owner be thinking now if the Esks got better and knocked out his other team in the West for a GC berth?

The problem with conspiracy theories is that common sense just seems to screw things up.

Why the ESKS signed Boyd:
“We only have Hugh Charles,” Reed said. “We don’t have anyone else available on our roster. Calvin McCarty, due to the injury to Matty Bertrand, is asked to play more fullback.

And I found another conspiracy. Clue dropped by Kavis Reed and that was how Messam like Boyd ended up in Edmonton. Hmmm... More shenigans it seems.

[quote]In many ways, the situation also mirrors how Messam came to Edmonton from the B.C. Lions late in training camp last year.

Let's ignore the history of Kavis Reed and second chance folks like Messam. This is all conspiracy stuff.
Reed has a history in his coaching career of successfully working with players who come to teams with bad reputations. Reed, general manager Eric Tillman and offensive co-ordinator Marcus Crandell spoke with Boyd and were comfortable with bringing him in. Reed also spoke with quarterback Steven Jyles, who played with Boyd in Toronto last year and got an understanding of the running back’s personality.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/E ... story.html[/quote]

I think that the potential for Boyd's release to be somewhat related to the Ray trade. If the Esks were asking for Owens or Boyd to go along with Jyles, the agreement may have waited until certain results were met. This is the CFL afterall, not out of the realm of possibilites.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:If one wanted to take Murph's comments with any credence
I'm not sure I would give Murph's comments any credence.
The media's reporting on Boyd's dismissal aren't clear.
And I don't think stuff people post on twitter holds water.
Maybe a move to Edmonton will lead to Boyd's career revivial.
David
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:And he lands in..Edmonton, essentially Ray for Boyd+Jyles

Which would be a much better trade, of course it wasn't a trade but it did work out that way.

Actually, the forgotten player in the trade was Grant Shaw who may just be the best kicker in the league right now!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Was watching TSN SPortscentre last night and Boyd has made some replies to Murphy's tweets. Boyd's name on twitter sounded odd to me but I can't remember it and I am not a twit (or whatever word is used to describe people who use twitter). :cool:

Boyd sounds a little frustrated by Murphy's comments but doesn't get too personal back. Second tweet was to thank the Argos/ArgoFans for helping him become a man or something to that effect.

Murphy seems to be quite willing to jump in and say whats on his mind. Perhaps he's hoping for a broadcasting gig somewhere in the TSN CFL roster???
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Dude, you're an awful poet — I've heard better rhymes from that busker dude down on the corner. ;)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Not much for rhyming

But pretty good for timing

Is there a bad Boyd rising

Due to this signing?

(nice reference to CCR, L4e)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

If there was any credence to Boyd being part of the R Ray trade, they could have just traded him instead of releasing him. It could have been announced as future considerations or whatever.

Releasing him didn't automatically mean he'd end up in Edmonton or even the CFL so I doubt it was part of the R Ray trade.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Quite true, he could potentially go anywhere but you must admit that it looks a little like a fortuitous turn of events for Edmonton who of course has participated in a shady kind of trade in the past. I don't think the Argo's are that sweet smelling either when you look at how they handled the Chris Jones situation. Is there any kind of collusion there, I don't know but there was lots of head shaking and questioning around the Ricky Ray trade given that it really looked like the Esks didn't get much back in return and now suddenly out of the blue, the Argo's inexplicably release the leading rusher in the league who a few short hours later ends up as an Edmonton Eskimo. Did Boyd talk to any other teams? Consider other offers? Sure seems like a rush to sign with the Esks. With 7 other teams out their, you would have thought that maybe his agent would make a call or 3 before agreeing to terms.

Maybe it is nothing but it sure doesn't pass the smell test.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:If there was any credence to Boyd being part of the R Ray trade, they could have just traded him instead of releasing him. It could have been announced as future considerations or whatever.

Releasing him didn't automatically mean he'd end up in Edmonton or even the CFL so I doubt it was part of the R Ray trade.
Not only this, if there was a nudge nudge wink wink and Boyd in the package both teams would be violating the rules. Maybe even criminal.

Boyd would no doubt be in a position to grieve and file for arbitration as well as sue these guys for any income loss as a result of being forced to sign a new contract at a lower price.

Does anyone actually think Tillman or Barker could sell that trade to their superiors on the basis that 'guess what, Boyd, after 6 games of the season are played no matter what is happening Boyd will be released and will ONLY have Esks interested'?

Big flaws as with all conspiracy theories. What if some team had no decent RB or their RB had just gone down. Releasing the guy would expose him to all teams. Some desperate team for a RB would say, we'll take on your existing contract - no pay cut here forcing the Esks to offer more than they wanted to. Boyd had no obligation to go to the Esks. He might have waited even for slow Joe Mack to resurface from an undisclosed location south of the 49th and possibly signed with the Bombers.

Oh I get it - here goes my stupid line of thinking - if that happened in the nudge nudge wink wink trade , then the Argos - if that scenario happened had agreed to secretly agreed release someone else. Hmm who would that have been? I get it - Ricky Ray who comes back to the Esks and takes over for Jyles who they knew wasn't a top QB but Ricky just stayed long enough to sell some season tickets.

Makes sense to me.

By the way, has anyone seen more fake photos from Mars? Exactly, totally fake just like the moon walk - only Michael Jackson did a moon walk.

Elvis is NOT dead. So much proof and so many stupid people don't get it like we do.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:If there was any credence to Boyd being part of the R Ray trade, they could have just traded him instead of releasing him. It could have been announced as future considerations or whatever.

Keep in mind, one of the reasons given for the Ray trade is his salary number, Boyd was making 100k himself, so an outright trade would have negated one of the reasons for the Ray trade to begin with anyway.

Tinfoil hat stuff of course, funny how things work out.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I don't think many teams were in the market place for a RB, even Boyd.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That is not tinfoil hat thinking according to the media now. That is exactly it. One story says this. No way the Esks want a big salary but if they got this guy to understand what BlueinBC just posted - not many teams needed a RB right now then they get him cheaper and also a little more (possibly) aware that he needs to be good with team mates as well as good on the field.

For those who want Cox's views on the Ricky Ray trade read this whole article. Bottom line is that the Esks to Cox are looking like winners. He talks of the fact that the Esks injuries would not have been accommodated without Ray's trading. Interesting reading.
Cory Boyd now an Eskimo largely because Toronto Argonauts couldn’t afford him: Cox
Published on Monday August 13, 2012

What isn’t being talked about, and what the deletion of Boyd from the Argo roster is almost certainly primarily about, is the cash component.

In simple terms, the minute Ricky Ray became an Argo, the clock was ticking on Boyd. Once it was decided it was necessary to add a 32-year-old quarterback with a huge salary in a short-term attempt to juice up the local product with the Grey Cup in town this year, other parts of the Argo payroll were going to have to bear the brunt of that acquisition.

Remember, there is a $4.35-million salary cap per team in the CFL, a salary limit that gets spread very thin among 46 players, 42 of which are active in any given week.

Ray’s contract contains escalator clauses that increase his ticket depending on his passing yardage, and at his current ouput — 1,757 yards passing in six games — he’s headed for more than 5,000 yards and a final salary probably in excess of $425,000.

Argo fans were understandably elated to get Ray last winter. But it meant then, and it still means now, that cap haircuts were going to be required elsewhere.

At about $115,000 per season, Boyd was an expensive commodity on a team paying so much to Ray. Chad Kackert, Boyd’s replacement, makes less than half of what Boyd was making, about $50,000.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... y-ray-deal

Argos' handling of Boyd bush league

By Bill Lankhof ,Toronto Sun

First posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:50 PM ED

There has been much talk in recent times about the New Blue, the fresher, brighter face of the Toronto Argonauts.

Since arriving here as head coach, and now general manager, Jim Barker has talked about stability and consistency.

This year, the talk was all about management understanding the importance of continuity and giving its dwindling fan base some stars with whom they could identify.

Turns out that’s all it was — talk.

Forget that picture of Cory Boyd on the season ticket package. They didn’t mean it.

When the club released Boyd on Sunday it may have made all the football sense in the world, but from outside the dressing room walls the optics of this move stink. There is just no good way to sell this to an already cynical public.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/13/ar ... ush-league
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

In the province this morning Jyles said Cory Boyd was his road game roommate. He had no issues with him not being a good teammate or with his pass blocking?

After watching R Ray for many years, he likes RB's that can catch out of the backfield and that was not a strong part of Boyd's game. So by definition he didn't fit the new offensive style with R Ray as the QB.

Quite understandable.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

I always have thought that the Eskimos made an astute move in trading Ricky Ray when they did. They got a great kicker and got rid of a struggling one in Prefontaine, they did very well in the Canadian draft in the trade and you build with Canadians who can start, and they dumped a lot of salary in Ricky Ray that allowed them to bring back players that they would not have been able to and have the flexibility to sign Boyd.

No doubt that Ricky Ray is a very good quarterback but there was no sense having a very good quarterback on a team that was going to be weaker overall if they had kept him in Edmonton and Ray had not been able to lead them to a Grey Cup game in years, without a strong enough surrounding cast. They may not have the answer in Jyles but they wanted to change the quarterback position to a style in which their quarterback was more mobile while attempting to build their new foundation around a championship defense.

I don't believe Boyd was part of any conspiracy, with his release at this juncture. Toronto went into this season with Boyd as their starter and he was leading the league in rushing. Toronto has realized they need more of a pass catching tailback in their lineup and that is more the style that their HC is used to and prefers and Boyd was a pain as well as expensive, with the addition of Ray's big salary.

As for Rob Murphy, I really liked him in his early years as a Leo..he brought a different and aggressive attitude towards offensive line play that positively changed the way we played but he was a slacker at practices before he left us and began thinking he was very special. I also don't like him Twittering away with gossip...that's for fans and sports writers.. Murphy is part of a community of ex-CFL players and he should be taking a higher road in his retirement.

If there were or are future considerations in the Ricky Ray trade they will happen in this off-season...I don't see Boyd as part of the Ricky Ray trade.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Count me as being in BC Blue's camp on this one. :thup:

The salary dump theory sounds plausible, but why wait 6 games. Boyd wasn't the leading rusher 6 weeks ago and Riggs, his roster replacement, was around in training camp.

It is only a couple weeks until NFL cuts get numerous, so why not wait until then?

One thing that's for sure is this whole deal has got a lot of fans and media talking and writing about the Argos/Esks/CFL. Most of the speculation about the real reasons for Boyd's release and subsequent signing by the Esks seems kinda negative, but it is a great example of "No such thing as bad publicity".