CFL Games Previews, Odds and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/08/0 ... in-week-7/
Ticats, Esks favoured in Week 7

August 9, 2012. 11:17 am • Section: BC Lions, Football, STAFF

By MIKE BEAMISH

Vancouver Sun

TODAY

Calgary at Hamilton, 4 p.m., TSN — The Stampeders scored only eight points and not a single touchdown in their last start — July 28 against the Lions. Before that, however, they’d managed totals of 41, 32, 36 and 38 — and the Stamps should be around that average — 36 points — again. Hamilton’s defence is last in the CFL (an average of 33.4 points allowed) and has given up the most rushing yards per outing (127.6).That’s a positive sign for Stampeder RB Jon Cornish, who had six carries for minus-one yard against the Lions. Still, despite all those negative stats, I’m looking for the Tiger-Cats to prevail in a shootout, leaning toward Henry Burris’ hot hand over Kevin Glenn’s weaker arm.

Pick: Tiger-Cats

FRIDAY

Saskatchewan at Edmonton, 6:30 p.m., TSN — In a game featuring Darian Durant and Steven Jyles, the play-making matchup at quarterback favours DD and the Roughriders. In Week 2, at Mosaic Stadium, the Roughies won 17-1 in one of the most unwatchable CFL games in recent memory. Still, Jyles is slowly improving toward workmanlike status. In his last outing, July 26, the maligned QB threw for 244 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, although Jyles did fumble the ball away at a critical juncture in a 23-22 defeat to the Blue Bombers. If he avoids a big mistake again, I see the Eskimos’ dominating defence shutting down Saskatchewan just enough for the home team to prevail.

Pick: Eskimos

Last week: 2-0

Season: 14-8
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TSN teasing Jon Cornish. Shows two drops in warmups, and then one ball off his face mask. A little karma for dissing his O Line?

Giguere drops a bomb. We'll take Shawn Gore over Giguere.

Duane Forde with what sounds like Chris Cuthbert. No Rod Black. :yahoo:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Calgary 31 - Hamilton 20

Cornish 19 for 160. Time to buy the O Line dinner.

Picked :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jon Cornish should be happy with his average
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What a trend. Road teams have won six straight games now. Hoping Riders making it 7 in a row tomorrow night. Like the idea of lots of hype for a 1st place Western showdown on Aug. 19.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not surprised Calgary won. They're a good team and they had two weeks to get over their funk and get down to business. Hamilton's three-gamne winning streak masked a really bad defence, especially against the run. Hamilton also ranks last in total points allowed and yards allowed. The Ticats can be exciting to watch but they can't win unless they score 35 points.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Jon Cornish should be happy with his average

Haha. He should be. Maybe that calling out of his O Line worked. It must have focused their whole offense and OC.

In some ways their HC called their out running game and unlike the old regime in BC where Wally would say it was not scheme they came back with some better running that was not just blocking that set the guy loose. I liked the Nik Lewis block .. wow...power hit. While I think DD might if left to his own devices pass incessantly like the old JC would - the Calgary HC seems to be committed to mid season changes and everything is on the table for change.

I don't dislike Burris at all - he is a good QB who has matured from the days where he sounded like it was always the other guy or the OC's fault - but I did like that Kevin Glenn was able to get the win in the town that cut him loose.

It is interesting that Cortez - the most experienced of the new HCs is not able to run away with his new charges. There are at times good reasons why some stay assistants forever or for a career if their styles don't adjust to how a HC must work - and that is different from an OC or DC. It is early and all teams are better it seems other than Montreal but that still means they are good.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Jon Cornish should be happy with his average

Haha. He should be. Maybe that calling out of his O Line worked. It must have focused their whole offense and OC.

In some ways their HC called their out running game and unlike the old regime in BC where Wally would say it was not scheme they came back with some better running that was not just blocking that set the guy loose. I liked the Nik Lewis block .. wow...power hit. While I think DD might if left to his own devices pass incessantly like the old JC would - the Calgary HC seems to be committed to mid season changes and everything is on the table for change.

I don't dislike Burris at all - he is a good QB who has matured from the days where he sounded like it was always the other guy or the OC's fault - but I did like that Kevin Glenn was able to get the win in the town that cut him loose.

It is interesting that Cortez - the most experienced of the new HCs is not able to run away with his new charges. There are at times good reasons why some stay assistants forever or for a career if their styles don't adjust to how a HC must work - and that is different from an OC or DC. It is early and all teams are better it seems other than Montreal but that still means they are good.
Interesting stuffl. I remember when DD was discussed as an option for offensive coordinator for us in B.C. and I didn;t want him. DD is a spread offence style offensive coordinator..it was what he was used to in Calgary and also the scheme he was used to playing with in B.C. but the better offences are becomng mutli-formational. Dickenson has reallly been using a vanilla running game in Calgary and needed to bring more variety to his running scheme there.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Nice touch when Cornish dedicated a touchdown to all the Canadian Olympic athletes....

You really get to see how small the CFL can be at times. These two Coaches won Grey Cups together in 1998 & 2008 and now they are facing each other. Burris played in Calgary, Glenn in Hamilton etc... It just goes on and on. Not complaining, its neat, IMO. Our Lions/Argos matchup had some of the same stuff too. Every week when a CFL team goes on the road its like there is a key cog who USED to play against the home team and/or viceversa......

I'm rooting for the Esks tonight. I know a battle for first would be cool on August 19 but I'd like to see the Riders O continue to have trouble finishing out games...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game 7 for all the teams ...

Vegas has

TiCats by 3.5 over Bombers

Eskimos by 1 over Alouettes

Calgary by 4.5 over Argonauts

Lions by 6.5 over Riders

I will take Alouettes, Bombers, Calgary and B.C.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

How did they come up with Calgary over TO by 4.5? TO has a very tough D and Nik Lewis is the only Calgary guy on O that can actually scare a D.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal and BC
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bombers, Argos, Al's and Lions

Read @ CFL.ca Elliot is getting the start over Brink......
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Bombers, Argos, Al's and Lions

Read @ CFL.ca Elliot is getting the start over Brink......
Always tough to take a team without a real starter at QB, pick the Ticats alright.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well I picked the Bombers but the Ticats should have won, IMO. The Ticats TURNED the ball over 6 times but were still in the game until late. Glad the Bombers improved their record to 2-5. Elliots next test is against our LIONS!