Mitchell 2-gamed suspended for dirty play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Checked out Riderfans and Esksfans. Pretty reasonable comments, IMO. One thing I am looking forward too (just because I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say). One Riderfan claims to have posted a tweet from Doug Brown DEFENDING Mitchell and Brown wants us to read his article tomorrow. Hmmm, I'll find that interesting. I will read it and I'm sure he'll have some good points to make but I highly doubt he'll be changing my mind on whether a suspension is warranted....

I checked on-line and Doug Brown writes a column for the Winnipeg Free Press

A 2 game suspension for Khaliff Mitchell is 1 game too many. After all, it never would have happened if he wasn't being held illegally.

Read my column tomorrow. Havin a 300 lb'er draped illegally all over ur back is almost as dangerous to a defender as what Mitchell did.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

doug brown is a simple minded dipstick
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Anglophone
All Star

I have a lot of respect for Mitchell. However, he has clearly made a mistake about it here.

I seem to remember strongly disliking him at the end of 2010 (the Thanksgiving game vs the bombers. Nightmare) for the OT disqualification for rough play that overturned our sack that would have forced a long field goal. It was on number 96, I remember, but I can't say for certain if it was him in the jersey back then. It's possible he changed numbers.

Having said that, he certainly won my respect back last year. He needs to find a way to contribute even when his numbers are down that don't involve taking underhanded shots.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Anglophone wrote:I have a lot of respect for Mitchell. However, he has clearly made a mistake about it here.

I seem to remember strongly disliking him at the end of 2010 (the Thanksgiving game vs the bombers. Nightmare) for the OT disqualification for rough play that overturned our sack that would have forced a long field goal. It was on number 96, I remember, but I can't say for certain if it was him in the jersey back then. It's possible he changed numbers.

Having said that, he certainly won my respect back last year. He needs to find a way to contribute even when his numbers are down that don't involve taking underhanded shots.
I think you've got the right culprit: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2010/10/12 ... me-report/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 14856.html

Doug Brown defends Khalif Mitchell, to an extent. No one is saying what Khalif Mitchell did Is right. I repeat. No one is saying that what he did is right.

However, let us consider ... Do O Linemen hold? Do O Linemen cut block? Do O Linemen double team? Do O Linemen fire their hands into the mid section of D Linemen? Or the neck? Or the face? Which D Linemen are at the centre of the most violent collisions on almost every play? The nose tackles, Mitchell's position.

These are not field goal kickers or punters we are talking about. Both the O and D linemen are huge guys, colliding on every play.

I repeat again: no one is saying what Khalif did is right. But he is a person, in fierce combat, also at great risk all game, who stepped over a line, in the heat of battle.

Of all the positions in all the sports, it is my opinion that nose tackles take more punishment than any others (discounting martial arts and boxing, which of course are not sanctioned in many provinces and states and countries).

Simeon Rottier has forgiven Khalif Mitchell. These are the two guys doing battle on the field. Khalif has been given a two game suspension. The league in which he plays has ruled. I do not think Khalif is some kind of monster who should be banned from football. Hopefully he can learn from this situation, and go on to play more spirited football for us.

This is obviously a situation that brings forth heated opinions. But be careful.

I have not attacked any other bloggers with this post, or even referred to any other bloggers. State your own opinions. And respect other bloggers.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Serious bodily harm is legal

By: Doug Brown

Many of the tactics, blocks and moves defensive and offensive linemen throw at each other are designed to do serious damage -- but are perfectly legal.

For every arm that gets dislocated, there is a knee or ankle that gets blown out from a cut block, or an orbital bone that gets fractured from an eye-gouge (me, vis-a-vis Rob Lazeo in 2007).

Having watched the incident between defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell and offensive guard Simeon Rottier countless times now, which took place in the B.C.-Edmonton game last Friday, I can understand the condemnation. Khaliff traps Rottier's arm against his body and rotates with such velocity that Simeon was fortunate to not have his arm broken.

Yet I also see a situation Rottier could have avoided. I see a defensive lineman reacting badly after an inability to separate and shed an illegal hold and block the officials did not call. What Khaliff Mitchell did to Simeon Rottier's elbow joint was certainly deplorable, but the fact remains that Rottier's hand and arm should not have been where they were, illegally clinging to Khaliff's jersey that was turned away from him.

You may or may not remember our game last year in Toronto against the Argonauts on Sept. 24. The team had seven players go down with injuries and we lost the game by one point, but that is not the point of this reference.

On the play in which I injured my shoulder, the Toronto Argonauts had rotated in No. 66, Jonathon St-Pierre, to work against me. He gave me a run read off the snap, we fitted up, I extended my arms to separate, and then worked to shed him and flow to the football. The problem was St-Pierre, only in the game for spot duty, was determined to not give up his hold on my jersey -- just like Rottier on Mitchell's jersey -- as I'm sure he didn't want me tackling him during his limited time.

The general rule on sustaining run blocks in the CFL is you can only clutch and grab what you are squared up to, and when your hands are on the inside of breastplate of the shoulder pads. When a defender creates enough space to move off you and begins pursuing the football, you cannot continue to maul and hold him from his angle of departure. Since experience has taught me you can't depend on a holding call in this scenario, defenders have one of two options. Either hammer away at the offensive lineman's arms that are clinging to you, or spin away from him towards the football, which usually forces him to relinquish his grip.

In this instance, I spun away from the hold and the player lost his balance. He should have let me go at that point, but he didn't and pulled me down with him. The full weight of my body landed on my bent arm on the turf, and due to the force of my humerus bone being rammed up into my shoulder socket, the bursa sac exploded. Initially, the doctors thought I had torn my rotator cuff and had played my final game, but it was an injury that caused me to miss a game and something that affected me for the rest of the season. Once again, no flag was thrown for holding on the play.

Khaliff Mitchell overreacted. But when offensive linemen have no fear of being penalized for illegally mauling and clutching defenders who have turned and broken away from them, reactions of this nature will become more common.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think they see this as a non football move that deserves more than bad judgment treatment.

To close the loop on this Khalif should issue an appropriate apology to all incl. his team and move on. He needs to do that or risk this not going away any time soon. He can't just say football play any more as it didn't pass the smell test the first time. Despite him not looking at the player when he did it it would be hard to argue he was just trying to make a toss of him to the carpet vs. twist his arm.

I see where Brown is coming from BUT if there is a consensus out there it is opposite and it gives fans a better insight into all the holding that prevents a player from doing his job on the D and which leads to frustrations. In some instances football is one of the most frustrating games from the view point as there are 24 players out there vs 12 in an NHL game so the ratio of players to officials (I hope I am right as I am not checking that) and the closeness of O and D line action makes it easier in hockey to spot all the stuff going on than in football - but that like harsher penalties for retaliation make football the unique game it is. You really need to be disciplined to play this game.

I think Brown adds a bit of the other side to the mix here as to what a player might be doing ILLEGALLY but right now it is hard to see too many other than Mitchell himself and his team accepting anything less than this 2 games.

I had a longer post with quotes but found my own comments in quotes and too much of a mess to figure out so will forget that and go with this.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some of Doug Brown' comments.

Having watched the incident between defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell and offensive guard Simeon Rottier countless times now, which took place in the B.C.-Edmonton game last Friday, I can understand the condemnation. Khaliff traps Rottier's arm against his body and rotates with such velocity that Simeon was fortunate to not have his arm broken.

Yet I also see a situation Rottier could have avoided. I see a defensive lineman reacting badly after an inability to separate and shed an illegal hold and block the officials did not call. What Khaliff Mitchell did to Simeon Rottier's elbow joint was certainly deplorable, but the fact remains that Rottier's hand and arm should not have been where they were, illegally clinging to Khaliff's jersey that was turned away from him.
The general rule on sustaining run blocks in the CFL is you can only clutch and grab what you are squared up to, and when your hands are on the inside of breastplate of the shoulder pads. When a defender creates enough space to move off you and begins pursuing the football, you cannot continue to maul and hold him from his angle of departure. Since experience has taught me you can't depend on a holding call in this scenario, defenders have one of two options. Either hammer away at the offensive lineman's arms that are clinging to you, or spin away from him towards the football, which usually forces him to relinquish his grip.

In this instance, I spun away from the hold and the player lost his balance. He should have let me go at that point, but he didn't and pulled me down with him. The full weight of my body landed on my bent arm on the turf, and due to the force of my humerus bone being rammed up into my shoulder socket, the bursa sac exploded. Initially, the doctors thought I had torn my rotator cuff and had played my final game, but it was an injury that caused me to miss a game and something that affected me for the rest of the season. Once again, no flag was thrown for holding on the play.
Khaliff Mitchell overreacted. But when offensive linemen have no fear of being penalized for illegally mauling and clutching defenders who have turned and broken away from them, reactions of this nature will become more common.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope Mitchell doesn't appeal the suspension. Just accept it and move on.
Blitz
Team Captain

I agree with WCJoeès comments regarding the context of the pllay and Toppy Vanns comments regading Browns assessment.

I anticipated a one game suspension and a fine but was not shcocked by the two game suspension, iwth the new framework of player safety being a priority.

I think its important to not completely judge Khalif Mitchell on a single play, in the heat of action and comdem him completely. Mitchell has done surprising things in the past such as dribbling the football llike a soccer ball which reflect the possibility of some impulse control but he has not been a dirty player in the past. He iis tough and playes aggressive. Its a tough position getting double teamed and sometimes tripple teamed and being held and grabbed in there...a lot of stuff goes on in the trenches that doesnt get seen. I believe that Williams was likely frustrated from being held inside often and then, when the Edmonton player was holding him from behind, under the armpit, he did something impulsive. The play was not premediated.

Yes, it was unacceptable and an attempt to hurt or injure and deserved a su;spension. However, ita also important to remember Mitchellès positive qualities. He is an enthusiastic player on our defense who raises his arms constantly to enhance crowd noise. He plays the game with a youthful enthusiasm. He gave up a lot of extra money to play with his brothers and to play in the ùcfl this season over the NFL, stating money was not the most important thing in lifel.

This is a guy who has a demonstrated a loyalty to his team that is not seen very often with todays modern athlete. He made a serious mistake and showed a lack of juidgment and has been punished. However, it is only one play and should not completely judge a young man. Overall, I feel fortunate that Khalif Mitchell is a B.C. Lion. When he returns to action Ièm sure he will have learned a lesson and the mistake will not be repeated.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I haven't felt Mitchell to be a dirty player. Once suspended, he will have a bit of a target on his back. Refs will tend to watch him more closely and he may lose some calls that might have close previously and ignored.
JohnHenry
Champion

As a former DL, Doug Brown pretty much nails it. Kahlif over-reacted to the clutching and grabbing...and the continuing non-holding calls against the OL's. What he did was obvious. But what goes on under the piles and out of camera range is ignored. I wouldn't castigate Mitchell too harshly for one mental lapse on national TV, then assume his opponents were saints because you didn't see what happened. Kahlif is a great player and a great Lions team mate. He deserves our support. We can't condone what he did, but what's done is done. He made a mistake and will serve his time (and what do OL'men need arms for anyways?) :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 14856.html

Doug Brown defends Khalif Mitchell, to an extent. No one is saying what Khalif Mitchell did Is right. I repeat. No one is saying that what he did is right.

However, let us consider ... Do O Linemen hold? Do O Linemen cut block? Do O Linemen double team? Do O Linemen fire their hands into the mid section of D Linemen? Or the neck? Or the face? Which D Linemen are at the centre of the most violent collisions on almost every play? The nose tackles, Mitchell's position.

These are not field goal kickers or punters we are talking about. Both the O and D linemen are huge guys, colliding on every play.

I repeat again: no one is saying what Khalif did is right. But he is a person, in fierce combat, also at great risk all game, who stepped over a line, in the heat of battle.

Of all the positions in all the sports, it is my opinion that nose tackles take more punishment than any others (discounting martial arts and boxing, which of course are not sanctioned in many provinces and states and countries).

Simeon Rottier has forgiven Khalif Mitchell. These are the two guys doing battle on the field. Khalif has been given a two game suspension. The league in which he plays has ruled. I do not think Khalif is some kind of monster who should be banned from football. Hopefully he can learn from this situation, and go on to play more spirited football for us.

This is obviously a situation that brings forth heated opinions. But be careful.

I have not attacked any other bloggers with this post, or even referred to any other bloggers. State your own opinions. And respect other bloggers.
Brown's column came from an interesting perspective that very few of us would have a chance to share, and it got me thinking about Rottier's forgiveness of Mitchell. To my knowledge this came without any overture toward him from Mitchell, so is it possible, even subconsciously, Rottier's forgiveness might constitute at least some partial admission of engaging in the tactics Brown has identified as a questionable part of the OL arsenal? Rottier seems as ready as anyone to move on from this.

For the record, I don't condone what Mitchell did any more than all the critics who have already weighed in here and elsewhere, nor am I intending my question as some sort of blame-the-victim defence of it.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Ndamukong Suh got 2 games for that stepping on that O lineman's arm in that (US)Thanksgiving Day game last year. This is a rough equivalent, so 2 games seems about right.

On top of that though Buono should have the perpetrator make a public apology and a donation in Rottier's name to the War Amps CHAMP Program (for those who may not know, they run those ads on CFL games of youngsters who, tragically, have lost limbs ... and more frequently than one might realize, often in combine harvester or other farming accidents).
David
Team Captain

For those dismissing the teeth of a 2 game suspension, they need to get their heads around the fact this is football and not hockey. It's only an 18 game season. That would be the equivalent of a 9 game NHL suspension, which is quite lengthy in anyone's books.

Interesting thoughts too from Rob Murphy:
Let me be clear on this... What Mitchell did was wrong..But it's frustrating when you get tackled and held every play cuz of lack of talent

My thoughts on the Kalif Mitchell suspension? He should appeal it... Eskie OL have been raping opposing DLs for years...

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar