CFL 2012 Wins/Losses, Rankings and Opinions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

IMO ... It is early, but I will start the evaluations anyway.

And since it is early one could almost consider these to be predictions.

1 BC Lions -- Got the whole package, except for ST coverage.

2 Calgary Stampeders -- Surprise. They haven't lost much if anything.

3 Saskatchewan Roughriders -- Surprise. Not the bumbling organization I was starting to think.

4 Winnipeg Blue Bombers -- Well you still need an offence to go with that tough defence.

5 Montreal Alouettes -- Hello. Back to the pack. And Anthony ain't getting any younger. Have the coaches caught up to Trestman? Yeah

6 Edmonton Eskimos -- So they beat an ordinary Argonaut team. But Jyles did look OK.

7 Hamilton TigerCats -- Hello. Cortez not looking like the great leader some might have thought. Good Xs and Os. How about the leadership?

8 Toronto Argonauts -- New season. New QB. Same result. Well they might be OK, but not looking like a contender for the Cup.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After Week 1 ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Riders 43 - Cats 16 Shocker. I had heard Durant would not play.

Lions 33 - Bombers 16. Tough game. No surprise.

Eskimos 19 - Argos 15. Close game. Too bad Ricky didn't pull it out at the end. LOL

Stamps 38 - Als 10. Shocker.

Hey, can't anybody in the East play this game? Ha ha
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Anything can happen in the first three or four weeks of the season. New players, new coaches, new systems, new wrinkles. If this were the NFL, teams would be halfway through training camp, playing a lengthy series of meaningless preseason games. By week 4 or 5, we'll see where the real strengths and weaknesses lie. That said, Calgary and Saskatchewan came out of the gate much better than I expected. And the Argos are right where they hoped to be, tied for first in the East. :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm inclined to treat the first two weeks of the regular season as the extended pre-season BC Fan mentioned above. If you get out of those first two games with a minimal amount of injuries an a 1-1 split than you're doing ok. I would also expect those first two games to be penalty filled and that one unit on every team will start off very poorly.

That said, Montreal's defense looks bad, Winnipeg's offensive line took a beating, and Toronto and Hamilton sputtered on both sides of the ball. Not the best of starts for all four East teams.

It's too early, in my mind, to question coaching leadership after one game. Six games, I think, is a better measurement of that. Where are you after 6 games, 10 games, 14 games, 18 games?

I'm not so shocked by the Stamps/Als result (except I would have bet the OVER and lost). Monteral's defence wasn't very good last year, and it didn't improve much in the offseason. The Riders/Hamilton one is the big surprise to me. That said, the Riders gave up an awful lot of passing yards, they just didn't break when it mattered most. Edmonton was better defensively than I thought as well.

Certainly plenty to ponder.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I agree the first few weeks are like an extended preseason. That being said, the Riders were better in week one of the regular season than I thought they showed in their first two preseason games. The Eskimos didn't sound too bad against the Lions (the radio game for me) and looked okay against the Stamps in their first preseason dustup. Maybe I'm picking on recievers but I think a lot of pass catchers could have helped out their QB's/Teams by hanging onto some passes that should have been caught. Hopefully that will be something we'll see a little less of as the preseason fades in the rearview mirror.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anyone remember the Lions stumbled out of the starting gates last year with an 0-5 record and Edmonton bolted to a 5-0 start ? We all know how it turned out
Rammer
Team Captain

Hey WCJ, I am going to agree with your rankings for week 1, that has to a first. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

jeff reinebold equals last place.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:After Week 1 ...

Hey.....why are we last?? :dizzy:
Real women wear orange!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Hey WCJ, I am going to agree with your rankings for week 1, that has to a first. :beer:
:beer:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The surprises for me were.

Edmonton on Defense - looked very strong against Argo's O
Riders on Offence - too much reliance on Dressler but when it works, hey go for it. Sheets looks like the real deal as well.

As for the rest, I saw it as follows.

Montreal, like stated above, Montreal D was weak last year and looks bad again this year coupled with a less accurate, even less mobile QB in AC. This is going to be a fight for Montreal this year. I could even see them in 4th place in the East if the wind is blowing the wrong direction injury wise.

Hamilton - Burris looked a lot like the Burris that got benched last year and lost his starters position. Also a question on receivers, they have a lot of speed but not so sure on some of their route running. It remains to be seen if Burris can be accurate enough to get them ball. Next few games will tell I think

Toronto - Oline looks like a week spot and so does the receivers. They have some good ones but I'm not sure they are the right ones for a RR dink and dunk game. Penalties. If they don't clear that up then it is a long season. They could have and should have taken that game but essentially bet themselves.

The Peg - great D, no O. No running game, ineffectual passing game. This too is going to be another frustrating season for a Bomber team that has one good leg and one gimpy leg

Calgary, - Tate looks decent, will probably only improve with exp. If someone figures out how to stop Nik Lewis, they will loose a chunk of their O but they looked pretty complete.

BC - looked a little rough around the edges in some aspects in secondary but I get the feeling what with a little time, they are going to be lethal. Oline wasn't great but credible Should be the team to beat in the West.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Spotted something in the TSN2 tv schedule today. I may be wrong but I think TSN2 is showing what the CFL fans feel is the best game of the week based on voting.

So of course the Ticats getting shellacked by the Riders was todays game. I'm guessing that if the Riders win, whatever game they were in will be the 'winner' to be reshown. If they lose, no doubt Rider fans will vote in numbers for a non-Rider game to make the cut. I prefer the NFL network way, in that three of the closest games make it for the three games the NFlL network 'replays' the following week.

Actually, the Rider/Ticat dust-up was the only game I missed as it lead into the Lions/Bombers game. It will be hard for the Ticats to not improve on their first week results but :cr: I'm hoping the Lions win, of course (and think they will too!)....