Geroy Simon Stamps....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Very nice. IMO, that should qualify Geroy as an NI, tell me I'm wrong. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Cool. Good find, James. :cool:
I don't recall Canada Post showing CFL stamps. Certainly a stamp collector's item.

It looks like aside from a player representing his CFL team, in the background it acknowledges a certainly highlight in the team's history. And in the case of the Lions, it shows Darren Flutie holding while Lui Passaglia is making his GC winning FG.

Checking out the other teams:

Tom Wilkinson and Warren Moon representing the 5-year dynasty.

Calgary's first Grey Cup in 1948.

George Reed and 1989.

The 1962 Fog Bowl.

McManus and 1972.

The Pinball and the 1950 Mud Bowl.

No similar stamps for the Montreal Alouettes other than the series showing the logos. :bang:
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

No book of 10 for the Als....strange.

Geroy is the only active player on all the team books.

On a personal note, surprised the Bombers chose Kenny Ploen and not Milt Stegall as their pic.

Cool idea, nice to see the league getting involved in other ways of advertising, just too bad it's snail mail related as this service seems to be on its last legs.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's a great honour for Geroy. Canada Post had to go pretty far back to find the glory years of other franchises. I believe all the featured players won Grey Cups with their teams. Kenny Ploen led the Bombers to four Grey Cup victories. Milt Stegall, Doug Brown and other recent Winnipeg players had long and productive careers but didn't win a Cup.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Okay, the title had me confused enough to check out the thread. Geroy mouthing off the Stampeders?

Thankfully, not, its just an obvious title once you check out the thread. The stamps themselves look cool and certainly worth collecting. Collecting for collectings sake as these are obvious ones so doubt they'll have increased value for many years down the road.
David
Team Captain

The Esks should have used Fred "Stamps" in the image. :wink:

That's Wilkie? :shock:

Must have been airbrushed. I don't think he's been that slim since high school!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote: ...
Notahomer --I didn't mean to confuse; my deepest apologies.
No need to apologize, the title got me to read the thread!!! And the title makes purrfect sense!!! :cool:

I'm glad to know they are out there too, I'll probably get at least the BC stamps and probably the rest too. I'd collect them for the sake of collecting, not because they will go up in value (they will but they are so popular probably not as quickly as others might).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Great stuff... so, how long before we hear jokes about players not giving their all on every down, using them to mail in their weak efforts?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:The Esks should have used Fred "Stamps" in the image. :wink:

That's Wilkie? :shock:

Must have been airbrushed. I don't think he's been that slim since high school!

DH :cool:
Remember when a reporter asked Hugh Campbell about an injury that Wilkie had sustained and Campbell told the guy that Wilkie had "pulled some fat"?

Gawd, that was funny.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A recent article about the Geroy Simon stamps that will become available on August 16.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Grey ... story.html
Geroy Simon has put his stamp on the B.C. Lions and the Canadian Football League for 14 years, so it seems only fitting that Canada Post would put Simon on a stamp.

The Lions on Monday unveiled the new stamp, which shows an action photo of Simon in the forefront, and Lui Passaglia's Grey Cup winning field goal from 1994 in the background. The stamp is one of nine collectibles, stemming from a partnership between the CFL and Canada Post that commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Grey Cup.

Simon, not one to shy away from a pose, stood on the field with his new souvenir at the Lions' Surrey practice facility for some photographs and video, while his teammates marvelled at the newest career achievement for the popular slotback.

"I'm honoured, definitely," said Simon, the all-time CFL leader in receiving yards, now at 15,416.

"It's awesome. When they told me that they wanted to use me, I was obviously flattered and never thought that they'd ever want to use me."

The Simon stamps become available Aug. 16.

But while he enjoyed being immortalized even further, and after breaking Milt Stegall's receiving yards record in the first game of this season, the 36-year-old Simon has seen, through the first six games of 2012, a decline in production.

He still leads the Lions in receiving yards with 329, however nearly one-third of that came in Week 1, when he scorched the Winnipeg Blue Bombers with five catches for 105 yards on what was, for him, a record-breaking night.

Having hit the 1,000-yard receiving plateau in his last nine consecutive seasons, Simon is on pace this year for 987 yards, his lowest total since 2002, and has yet to score a touchdown, leaving him at 98 for his career.

His rebuttal: "Stats are for losers."

He added - more than once - that the Lions, with four wins and two losses, are much further ahead collectively com-pared to this time last year, when they were 1-5 out of the gate. He makes a strong case.

Simon, by the six-game mark last year, had 536 yards receiving, yet the team was still, at that point, mired in mediocrity.

"Yes, my production is down but we're winning," said Simon.

"Last year at this time we were what 1-5 ...? I don't care about numbers. I don't care. I care about the number of wins we have. You look at Cory Boyd [released Sunday by the Toronto Argonauts]. He was a guy that was worried about his numbers. You see where he's at."

Mike Benevides doesn't seem too concerned, if at all, about Simon's productivity, especially given Simon's penchant for breakout performances and the myriad of offensive weaponry at the head coach's disposal, including running back Andrew Harris, and receivers Arland Bruce, Shawn Gore, Akeem Foster and Marco Iannuzzi, among others.

"There's times when he'll get two, three catches, there's time when he'll get five or six," said Benevides. "His day will come and the numbers will come, but Geroy being the consummate team pro isn't going to worry about that."

Now, the question becomes why are Simon's receiving numbers down?

For his part, Simon doesn't see a difference in how opposing defences cover him. He's used to playing against the best defenders this league has to offer, and a multitude of schemes designed to limit his capabilities.

The way quarterback Travis Lulay sees it, there are numerous ways opposing defences try to blanket Simon.

Football terminology aside, it basically spells double coverage, which opens up passing options elsewhere. The popular target of late has been Harris, who is second on the Lions in receiving yards with 281 yards and leads the team with four touchdowns. "Geroy sees it all and has seen it all over the years," said Lulay, adding Bruce to the list, along with Simon, of receivers who sometimes see the stiffest coverage. Between the two, they have just one touchdown.

"I mean Arland and Geroy are some of our best playmakers. They've been some of the best playmakers in this league for years, so that's something we're continuing to manufacture ways to get those guys the ball."
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
QB Club 63
All Star

Hey Robbie! What about this? We got your Als stamp right here: :beer:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/C ... story.html

Anthony Calvillo and the 1977 Ice Bowl, featuring Sonny Wade (another all-time great football name!).
Robbie
Hall of Famer

QB Club 63 wrote:Hey Robbie! What about this? We got your Als stamp right here: :beer:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/C ... story.html

Anthony Calvillo and the 1977 Ice Bowl, featuring Sonny Wade (another all-time great football name!).
:cheer:
I guess Canada Post got a lot of complaints from Alouettes fans that they finally produced their specialized stamp.
祝你龍年行大運。
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I saw a sports cast where Geroy said he is going to mail a few letters to people and then ask them if they recognize the guy on the stamp.lol