Peter Dyakowski, TiCat O Lineman, Canada's Smartest Person

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/dyakowski-nam ... est-person
Dyakowski crowned Canada's smartest person

March 17, 2012

Ticats.ca Staff

HAMILTON, Ont. -- Peter Dyakowski has earned the title of Canada’s smartest person after dominating a demanding gauntlet of intelligence tests on CBC’s two-hour special, CANADA’S SMARTEST PERSON.

Dyakowski’s competition on CBC’s innovative television special included high school science teacher, Dr. Marshall Carroll; 23-year-old student and gamer, Laura Suen; and spoken word poet, Greg Frankson.

Each participant completed a series of fun and spectacular challenges aimed at testing six areas of the Theory of Multiple Intelligences: linguistic, logical/mathematical, visual/spatial, bodily/kinesthetic, musical and interpersonal.

Highlights of Dyakowski’s appearance included a remarkable impromptu valedictorian speech that earned him the top score from guest judge Sean Cullen, the highest scoring performance in the show’s mathematical challenge and a dramatic come-from-behind win during the show’s final challenge.

In 2011, Canadians had the opportunity to nominate themselves, or someone they know, to participate in the show. Drawing on the Theory of Multiple Intelligences, show producers used interviews and tests to narrow the field to four participants with well-rounded intelligence profiles.

After being nominated by the team, Dyakowski took part in a thorough application process to qualify for the show

Dyakowski will suit up for his sixth season with the Ticats in 2012 after being named the team’s Most Outstanding Lineman last year. He is the first Canadian-born athlete to sign a scholarship with Louisiana State University.
Cool. :thup:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

My wife did a Football 101 with the Ticats......Dyakowski did part of the tour of the Ticats facility.....she said he was very witty and really entertained the group with impromptu responses to questions that had them LOLing to beat the band.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:My wife did a Football 101 with the Ticats......Dyakowski did part of the tour of the Ticats facility.....she said he was very witty and really entertained the group with impromptu responses to questions that had them LOLing to beat the band.
I wish he would hurry up and retire to the announcer's booth or the TV studio. He sounds like a natural entertainer. LOL
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope he doesn't kill the English language like Chris Walby
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Unfortunately the stuff TSN airs is lame. I would love to hear the real juicy stuff that goes on the field.
pennw
Legend

He beat out...3 people , to be declared Canada's smartest person ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Unfortunately the stuff TSN airs is lame. I would love to hear the real juicy stuff that goes on the field.
I know I'm not the first to mention this, but I think live mics are going to be the next big evolution in pro-sports. Obviously it can't work on regular broadcast television, but I'd pay to watch a specialty channel where there was no commentary, just live, unedited sound from the field. All the smack talk, all the play calls, everything. It'd be epic. And it would show us a side to the game that we never get to witness fully, only catching the rarest glimpses when a sound guy/editor is asleep at the wheel.

Imagine if they didn't cut to commercials on this channel, and you could listen in on the opposing huddle. Or the chit-chat. Receivers complaining about not getting the ball, the QB being reamed by a coach to get rid of it quicker, etc. We'd get some real insight into both the real-time analysis of the game by the coaches and players, as well as the psychology on the field.

I can't see it happening any time soon. It would open up your product to all sorts of potential harm, but it would be great to watch.

Cheers,

James
I would definitely pay to watch that.
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

I would so pay for that channel!! Love the idea!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
I know I'm not the first to mention this, but I think live mics are going to be the next big evolution in pro-sports. Obviously it can't work on regular broadcast television, but I'd pay to watch a specialty channel where there was no commentary, just live, unedited sound from the field. All the smack talk, all the play calls, everything. It'd be epic. And it would show us a side to the game that we never get to witness fully, only catching the rarest glimpses when a sound guy/editor is asleep at the wheel.

Imagine if they didn't cut to commercials on this channel, and you could listen in on the opposing huddle. Or the chit-chat. Receivers complaining about not getting the ball, the QB being reamed by a coach to get rid of it quicker, etc. We'd get some real insight into both the real-time analysis of the game by the coaches and players, as well as the psychology on the field.

I can't see it happening any time soon. It would open up your product to all sorts of potential harm, but it would be great to watch.

Cheers,

James
NBC did something of that sort back in 1980. They ran an NFL game without any announcers. I remember watching that game and thinking it was the most boring football game I had ever viewed. Of course the broadcast did not benefit from any mics on players, coaches, or officials per NFL regulations at the time. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news ... id=5906858

One of the reasons NFL films has been such a good promotional vehicle for the NFL is the audio. You get to hear the conversations and comments from players and coaches that you will not hear on a TV broadcast of a game. Ditto for the HBO series on the NHL. Listening to the banter between officials, players, and coaches is fascinating and really amps up the drama of the game.