Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tom Brady's wife is a little pissy about the dropped passes by the receivers.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Tom Brady's wife is a little pissy about the dropped passes by the receivers.
I dont blame her
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Tom Brady's wife is a little pissy about the dropped passes by the receivers.
Super model. purrfect life. How many super models are team players? Ummmm ...

She should have kept her mouth shut. Even though it is true about the dropped passes. If Tom wants to complain that is one thing, but she is not helping him, as a team guy for the Patriots. She and Brady can afford to lose a few, with all the good fortune of their lives. More grace would have been in order ... IMO.

In regard to the game, all I can say is Eli has some serious magic about him. He makes guys who have done little or nothing into heroes catching the ball.

Eli Manning and Tom Brady are two of the best clutch QBs ever. Close to Joe Montana status, although Joe won the Super Bowl four times.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I know it must be frustrating but I agree that she should have kept her mouth shut. Maybe the taunting by the Giant fan got the better of her
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I know it must be frustrating but I agree that she should have kept her mouth shut. Maybe the taunting by the Giant fan got the better of her
Agreed. I 'd have been horrified if my wife had ever expressed an opinion about my workplace.

Because it is Brady as QB this gets the big play. No one will comment from the team as you don't want Tom Brady annoyed.

It is the kind of silly side show stuff like Eli Manning gets about brother Peyton. How stupid is that question about being in the shadow of his brother!!! He is an NFL starter and winner not a guy sitting on the bench who came in for an injured two guys above him. The Fluties didn't hear that in the CFL and Doug was a higher profile guy but that brother issue really only came into play when Darren caught the winning TD pass in the snow and ice in the WDF in 1994 to put the Buono coached and Flutie QB'd Stamps out of the playoffs.

It is a 24 hour tempest in a teapot that will annoy some people and get agreement in some cases - possibly even from the culprits.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Can anyone explain why the Gmen went for two at the end of the game. They were up by 4 a convert up by 5 two point conversion up by 6. A moot point f you have to score 7 to win. Just wondering in the NFL can a two point try be returned like the CFL for 2 points. As a side note im thinking it was going to be kneel kneel kneel kick the field goal and Brady sits the last 2 minutes. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Can anyone explain why the Gmen went for two at the end of the game. They were up by 4 a convert up by 5 two point conversion up by 6. A moot point f you have to score 7 to win. Just wondering in the NFL can a two point try be returned like the CFL for 2 points. As a side note im thinking it was going to be kneel kneel kneel kick the field goal and Brady sits the last 2 minutes. Thnx BB
IIRC, they explained it in the broadcast. If NY had gotten the deuce for a 6pt lead, they would still have a chance, admittedly unlikely — should NE get that TD to tie the game — to block NE's potential game-winning convert kick, keeping the score tied to remain alive.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Worst kept secret finally came true today, Peyton Manning released by the Colts. A year ago... :shock: but not now. Its been obvious for quite a number of weeks that the Colts were going to cut him. The Colts & Manning had quite a nice, civil presser announcing this so everybody is happy, I guess. I often wondered "WHY DON"T THEY JUST CUT HIM????" but now I wonder if the answer is not so simple. Obviously you don't want to seem cavalier or disrespectful. In some ways I wonder if the Colts waited just so Manning would have time to recover. If they cut him six weeks ago, maybe he wouldn't have been able to get the kind of interest he will now? Who knows? Obviously these were two parties (Colts & Manning) who wanted this to end on a level of respect. It certainly came across that way. Certainly not as shocking as some other player moves but only because Manning has been off the playing field for so long. The inside line is Manning will end up a Dolphin but who knows. Certainly the Dolphins have been in need of QB help, pretty much since Marino called it a career, IMO. Wonder how much better the Colts 3-13 record will be next season. I think much better but still don't see them making the playoffs. Mannings new team, almost definately will make the playoffs because I can't see him choosing to go play for a team that isn't close to making a deep run in the playoffs anyway.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bit of a surprise that they ended on good terms with each other. Not a surprise from Peyton's point of view. He has been class all the way.

For most of his career, Peyton has been headed straight into the Hall of Fame. Along comes little brother, Eli. Pressure to play in Peyton's shadow. Eli has done OK, one would have to say.

One of my favourite Peyton memories is when he wore the hightop cleats in honour of the legendary Johnny Unitas. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like Denver wins the Peyton Manning sweepstakes
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Looks like Denver wins the Peyton Manning sweepstakes
No "faith" in Tebow? :wink:
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

When the Super Bowl was going on, my buddy at work wanted me to make him a sticker to do with Tebow for his hardhat and this is what i came up with

i know it looks alittle choppy but who cares
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Glad the Manning issue is just about done/signed. Made it difficult for the other teams/players. Now I guess we get a mini version of it via where's Tebow going? Not too many options, IMO. Then again, to quote Al Davis, 'Just win baby'. He may not have great form or fit the NFL prototype but you wonder how'd he'd do with a full off-season (not really going to get that now either due to Manning). Tebow got more wins than losses. Not pretty wins but if he keeps it up, maybe some other players will get chances they wouldn't have otherwise.

Guess the Colts are pretty happy Manning went outside the division. You don't want to have to play a QB twice a year when he was the cornerstone of your team for just over a decade.... Kinda like how the Eskimos will have to play Ricky Ray twice a year but at least not in the same division....

Glad the Seahawks signed Matt Flynn, he's an upgrade, IMO over TJ. That NFC West division may not stay a so-called weak sister anymore.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Looks like Denver wins the Peyton Manning sweepstakes
No "faith" in Tebow? :wink:
I guess he got tebowed
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez are team-mates now!!!! Apparently (according to numerous reports on NFL Network) John Elway offered Tebow a choice between Jacksonville and NYJets and Tebow picked the Jets. Glad this story is over, guess we'll see how 'tebowmania' plays in the Big Apple alongside the quickly fading vinsanity.......

The release of Peyton Manning obviously caused other issues to arise. Just more proof of how much of a business this game is, IMO..........