Cortez named Head Coach of Ti-Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Continuing with the "never a dull moment" CFL off-season, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have named George Cortez their new Head Coach.

Somewhat surprising, but good for the league. :thup:

story here

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good for the league and for the Ticats. And good for the Lions that he's not in the West. The Riders hired an unproven former Hamilton assistant who didn't seem to be given much chance for the Hamilton job and the Esks and Stamps lost experienced coordinators in rare lateral moves, including Rich Stubler's move from Edmonton to B.C.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I am surprised by this...but Obie knows that his job and rep are on the line and he went with Cortez, so that counts for something...I am certain Obie knows more than I do about who is best to coach the Ticats...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Good for the league and for the Ticats. And good for the Lions that he's not in the West. The Riders hired an unproven former Hamilton assistant who didn't seem to be given much chance for the Hamilton job and the Esks and Stamps lost experienced coordinators in rare lateral moves, including Rich Stubler's move from Edmonton to B.C.
Interesting alright on the Riders choice, and his not being given a chance in Hamilton, where they know him. That said, I thought the same about Kavis Reed going into Edmonton last season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After being rumoured to be the next head coach in every city in the CFL Cortez finally gets his opportunity.
joe kapp22
Legend

Good for him and for the league.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Mikemike
All Star

Wow, what an amazing off season. I think my jaw has dropped more times since december than it did during the regular season. The East is going to be a wicked battleground next year!

So yeah Cortez, this is a surprise, but a pleasent one. I really hope he does well. There's something about the Ti Cats that I've always liked. Very interesting and unique fanbase out there.
David
Team Captain

Mikemike wrote:Wow, what an amazing off season. I think my jaw has dropped more times since december than it did during the regular season. The East is going to be a wicked battleground next year!

So yeah Cortez, this is a surprise, but a pleasent one. I really hope he does well. There's something about the Ti Cats that I've always liked. Very interesting and unique fanbase out there.
If the Popp rumours are true combined with an aging Anthony Calvillo vs an infusion of new Head Coaching talent in the East as well as some established quarterbacks - we could start to see a long overdue power shift in the East. Don't ever sell the Alouettes short of course, but it has been getting rather tedious seeing them win the Division year after year after year.

As for Hamilton, I struggle at times to get a handle on that market. From 3,000 miles away, it appears it's almost a Toronto/Regina hybrid. Part of the market is devout "NFL only" (Bills territory), while the other part almost small town Canadiana that honours and cherishes the Tiger-Cat tradition. It would be interesting to get a local's take one day.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:Wow, what an amazing off season. I think my jaw has dropped more times since december than it did during the regular season. The East is going to be a wicked battleground next year!

Even more amazing with the Colts owner stating Popp is a candidate for GM in Indy.

Cortez has not been a HC and that role is different than an OC. Some guys adjust well and others meddle with the coordinators and fail to set the right tone and fail. Or their leadership style doesnt fit.

===

Wow, this looks interesting. Cortez also gets Director of Football operations title! Who is the boss of Cortez? Obie? Not sure I get the reporting relationship.

Dealmaker Bob reels in big fish Cortez
http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... ish-cortez

Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young played a key role in the recruitment of new head coach George Cortez, pictured, who has had a number of opportunities to become a CFL coach — including rebuffing the advances of two other teams this off-season.
New guy Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young played a key role in the recruitment of new head coach George Cortez, pictured, who has had a number of opportunities to become a CFL coach — including rebuffing the advances of two other teams this off-season.

Bob Young bills himself as the caretaker but perhaps that title should be dealmaker.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner played a key role in the recruitment of new head coach George Cortez, who has had a number of opportunities to become a CFL coach — including rebuffing the advances of two other teams this off-season. The Ticats pulled it off, however, in no small part because of the involvement of Young, who met with the coach personally last week and helped to get a deal done
The Ticats received permission from the Bills to speak with Cortez last Tuesday and he met with Young and team president Scott Mitchell on Thursday, reportedly coming away impressed by Young’s commitment and passion for the franchise. Discussions continued Friday and involved Mitchell and general manager Bob O’Billovich as well as representatives from the Cortez side.

Of course, Young’s folksy charm alone wasn’t enough to get a deal done: Cortez also wanted a significant amount of influence. His director of football operations title gives him control over who comes on and off the 53-man roster, though O’Billovich remains responsible for day-to-day personnel moves, including the recruitment of players and the negotiation of contracts. Cortez and O’Billovich have a long history — including working together in Calgary — and Cortez will be heavily involved in player personnel.

Complete control of his staff versus the Tillman model where he approves the HC picks:
Cortez is busy putting together a staff and that’s one of the reasons the introductory news conference isn’t until Tuesday, which will also feature the first public appearance by new quarterback Henry Burris. Cortez has been a coach in the CFL, NCAA and NFL for more than 30 years — he’s got a significant network of coaches to recruit from — and he’ll have complete control of his staff.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Mikemike
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote: Some guys adjust well and others meddle with the coordinators and fail to set the right tone and fail. Or their leadership style doesnt fit.
Why do you think Greg Marshall didn't make it with the Riders, what were the factors at work there? It seems like the GM was doing most the tinkering there, but who knows. I'll add it to my list of surprises this season that Marshall's name hasn't popped out of the woodwork yet. A quality guy, I really hope that he lands on his feet.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, this looks very promising for the TCats. Not only do they get a new head coach who has come straight from the NFL but he also gets to tap his connections down south and is reunited with Henry Burris who may really benefit from a QB coach which is what Cortez has been doing.

Hell of an off season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: Some guys adjust well and others meddle with the coordinators and fail to set the right tone and fail. Or their leadership style doesnt fit.
Why do you think Greg Marshall didn't make it with the Riders, what were the factors at work there? It seems like the GM was doing most the tinkering there, but who knows. I'll add it to my list of surprises this season that Marshall's name hasn't popped out of the woodwork yet. A quality guy, I really hope that he lands on his feet.
Marhsall may still be being paid by the Riders and choosing the free ride paycheck in lieu of taking a new position.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:

It sure sounded to me like Miller as Marshall said really never left and if the HC doesn't appear to be solidly supported by his boss the players can at times tune the guy out. No question that Durant was angry with OC Doug Berry (who would grate on a QB used to the Miller style and of course differing attack views and play calling).

Greg Marshall is a bit of a tougher style coach based only what I read of him and that style after Miller might have been a factor in turning the team against him.

For a HC to be successful the leadership style should fit the team. A tough new coach like a Kent Austin when he first came to the Riders is great to get a team turnaround quickly. The only issue is how long that same tough style if not adjusted will work as it often with pro teams wears thin. Billy Martin was no doubt the best turnaround manager in baseball but once he got it turned right and winning his ways no longer worked effectively and he usually got fired.

Was Marshall the right guy for the Riders who were successful? Not sure. Did his tougher speaking style ruffle feathers? Did Durant as I suspect tank due to his own attitude to his coaches. Instead of sucking it up and playing he seemed to be to tank in his play. I could be wrong.

Cortez has not been a HC and what often makes you a fantastic assistant and OC does not always work as HC where you accomplishing the team's objectives largely through the efforts of your assistant coaches. Not all great assistants change their style to fit the role of the HC who has been more strategic, big picture, able to work through others but who sets the tone for the team and how it will work. I suspect Cortez will be successful as he also been a guy coaching QBs who aren't developed by pushing and prodding and nagging.

Benevides will need to change his over pacing ways to be successful. I hope he is successful and given the time to be successful but how he conducts himself on the field is great for an assistant (I prefer the Dave Ritchie DC way but MB has been successful - Grey Cup says that). He can't be successful running up and down the field getting into every play like he has. He has to be thinking ahead and managing the big picture and noting where changes need to be made.

The Lions will have some adjustments to make with MB as HC and I am sure that WB will give him to make them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy