Ricky Ray to Toronto

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Tillman dumped a big salary on a QB on the downside of his career and got a high draft pick and a good kicker. Duval will be gone now. Don't understand the comments about being happy Ray is out of the west; he didn't exactly light us up this year.

Tillman's dealings aren't done. Watch for him to run at Fantuz now.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:I know many will disagree, but I've always felt that Ricky Ray is one of the most overrated QB's in the history of the league. RR is the master of the 5 yard crossing pattern. He basically makes a living off of that one play. He rarely throws deep and rarely mixes up his passes. The key to beating RR is to stop that 5 yard crossing patteron on first down. Second and long is not RR's strength.
This past year, 2nd and Long was not the EE's offensive line's strength. They were also hit hard with injuries at receiver for a lot of the year as well.
So I'm going to politely disagree. But I do think you've just described Danny McManus perfectly, however.
Travis Lulay #1 in the CFL. Ricky Ray #2. AC aging. Henry the Sulk off the charts. IMO ...
Heresy on this board, perhaps, but I'd rate RR #1 and Travis #2. (I wouldn't do that trade though).
You know what lads? I think we're witnessing the collective collapse of the Western Division. Ray is headed East, Burris is gonna head east, and Durrant is gonna be on a super short leash next year.

Tate is talented, but he isn't there yet. Edmonton was an unknown team last year with a marquee QB, now they're a known team with ???? at QB. And the Riders? Well, they still suck.
The Riders got old. The Stamps got old. The Eskimos took a look around and said "we aren't going to get better without some major rebuilding at multiple positions", so they sold their best asset in exchange for the versatility to do that.

It's very nice to be on an up cycle when the rest of your division is on a down cycle. Fortunate for us, no?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

If Wally keeps the nucleus of this team together, then it won't matter what Edmonton and Calgary do this offseason...the Lions only ever have to worry about their own performances...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

When was the last time the Argos developed their own bona fide starting QB?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Didn't see this coming. Interesting off season so far. Looks like Braley's other team is making a concerted effort to make the playoffs and be in the Grey Cup. New Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, new QB. Look for the Argos to be active in acquiring free agents.

Don't be too surprise to see Smilin Hank to be in the green and gold.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

sj-roc wrote:When was the last time the Argos developed their own bona fide starting QB?
Wally Gabler?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I can't figure this out.

Jyles hasn't showed much and Ray had not a bad year but is not mobile at all and is done if he needs to scramble. Why the Argos locked up the Jyles contract before hiring a HC was a mystery and no doubt the new HC wanted Jyles out of there - if had any sense he would have wanted that. I'd have thought that Burris would be the Toronto guy as he seems done in Calgary with Tate's play of late.

Tillman is clearly a very astute GM and quite possibly he and Reed think they have the secret formula to make some more magic out of a guy who seemingly has a lot of potential. No doubt Jyles is cheaper and with the other stuff in the trade the Esks will get other benefits too.

Those who speculate that Ray was anything less of a team guy are for sure barking up the wrong tree. Tillman dumped Kerry Joseph after his outstanding year and it was about the money, not the guy as ET was the guy to bring Kerry Joseph back to Eskimos.

Hey do they plan on using a tandem next year? Joseph and Jyles? Hmmm. We know Tillman likes Joseph.

Interesting.

Now will it be Burris to Hamilton?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:shock: Burris moving??? Made sense. But Ricky Ray off to Toronto!?!? :dizzy: Fred Stamps must be wondering whats up? New coach(es), new QB and I'm sure more players to be named later. Guess those Argos really want to pull a BCLion and win the Grey Cup as host team......
joe kapp22
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Didn't see this coming. Interesting off season so far. Looks like Braley's other team is making a concerted effort to make the playoffs and be in the Grey Cup. New Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, new QB. Look for the Argos to be active in acquiring free agents.

Don't be too surprise to see Smilin Hank to be in the green and gold.
Yessir, no way Braley was going to go into a cup yr with Jyles at pivot

Paris Jackson in their sights as well?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I would think they are targeting Paris...and it would make sense for both parties, but I would still love to see Paris stay right here...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:When was the last time the Argos developed their own bona fide starting QB?
Joe Theisman and Condredge Holloway
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I would think they are targeting Paris...and it would make sense for both parties, but I would still love to see Paris stay right here...
Paris was a heart and soul player for the Lions as a starter, also very good on a part time role, as we didn't hear any negativity from him. I am sure that he is gone as he is looking at a good 5 years left in his legs, and I would prefer that it was TO vs any Western team. With Gore, Iannuzzi and Foster, he wasn't going to have a real chance to compete for a starter position given the salary structure within that grouping.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

Rammer wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I would think they are targeting Paris...and it would make sense for both parties, but I would still love to see Paris stay right here...
Paris was a heart and soul player for the Lions as a starter, also very good on a part time role, as we didn't hear any negativity from him. I am sure that he is gone as he is looking at a good 5 years left in his legs, and I would prefer that it was TO vs any Western team. With Gore, Iannuzzi and Foster, he wasn't going to have a real chance to compete for a starter position given the salary structure within that grouping.
Exactly, and TO needs Wr's, and PJax more or less has few avenues in BC and being a high salary Vet with the young and hungry and cheap guys behind him, such a move would make sense.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
rb
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Joe Theisman and Condredge Holloway
Actually, Holloway spent his first six years with Ottawa and then went to Toronto.

Re: the trade, Tillman is a shrewd guy and I don't think he got ripped off. He got the 2nd overall draft pick, plus a Canadian kicker who can also backup at other positions in a pinch and a younger QB who is at least an excellent backup and could still develop into a solid starter. Plus he dumped a big salary. And for sure Tillman knows that he can land another QB.
Anglophone
All Star

This sure blindsided me! :yahoo:

Prefontaine did not look very good last year. Perhaps we will soon see the acquisition of Justin Medlock? Duval is DONE, I would say.

Paris has a huge opportunity here. He would be foolish not to take it - he will be the superstar receiver in Toronto, assuming Fantuz doesn't head east. His prospects here are limited, sadly.