Lions call press conference: Wally steps down as HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:
Blitz wrote:Buono is stepping down as HC but by adding the title of Vice President of Football Operations to his GM job he is probably keeping his same salary as HC/GM, will still have a lot of control, and leaves the pressure of coaching behind while leaving on a tremendous winning note. It couldn't have happened in any better way for Buono.
Good post, Blitz, but I do think Buono will be taking a pay cut after relinquishing his head coaching duties, perhaps a 25% haircut, still making him one the highest paid GM's in the league (Popp). I'm also not sure how much control Wally will have...or even wants. I don't think we'll be seeing him with Skulsky on the sidelines looking over the coach's shoulder. This is Benevides ship now, win or lose. :2cents:
Not so sure about the pay cut John Henry but I do agree that I don' think we'll see Wall y looking over Benevedes shoulder on the sidelines nor do I think Wally will pull a Ken Miller either.

However, Benvedes will have a lot less control- than Wally did in his dual role as HC/GM. However, the two obviously have a good working relationship and that will hopefully continue and I expect that it will.

It will be an adjustment for the players and for us as fans as well. For long time fans...after a long time without it..we got used to seeing the same HC in Buono for an extended period of time.

I thought Benevedes really setttled down this season and seemed more poised....and his defense played so well during our winning streak and in the playoffs..and he is going to need to be as a HC....lots of stress. It will be an adjustment for Benvedes...especially during games....because as a coordinator he is calling every defensive play/formation etc, whereas as a Head Coach during a game you're less in the action.

Be interesting to see when the announcement is. Saskatchewan was interested in interviewing Benevedes and it will be interesting to see if he goes through the process there first or accepts the position as HC that we are all anticipating is being offered to him. If Benvedes didn't I would expect Chap to be the next in line.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:You'd think that in his retirement thread at Lionbackers that the winningest coach in CFL history could get some unequivocal congratulations and nothing else, but in true negative form, this board comes through with the same spiteful commentary that has made it so difficult to read over the past few seasons. Unbelievable. The guy just won a Grey Cup.
The sky in your world, I assume, is a purrfect shade of blue.

Not one poster in this thread would, when it comes down to it, would rather have had the continuation of the Rita/Burrato years than had Wally here. Not one person posting in it wishes any ill will on the guy whatsoever. I doubt seriously that anyone ***MOD EDIT*** would characterize any of his accomplishments throughout his career as a fluke or anything that seriously demeans the credits of what he has accomplished in his decades in this game, a game of which he will continue to be a part, and for an organization of which he will continue to be a part.

Hell, I'll give you something no one has mentioned. I believe that Wally has been an integral driver in increasing the number of offseason camps the organization holds in the states. He's been, as far as I know, at the forefront of investing in the club's scouting apparatus in searching for imports and it has absolutely born fruit. I would expect him to bring more energy and ideas to both the personnel and self scouting areas of the football operations, at a minimum, in his new capacity. And as someone who appreciates that aspect of the game a lot, I look forward to seeing how he expands upon those capacities.

But this hasn't been a purrfect tenure. No boss's tenure is. Mindful of the fact we've done pretty good over the last decade, it also hasn't been purrfect. This isn't a retirement party where we do nothing but tell great stories about our years together. This is an honest discussion and reflection on the man's tenure here which had it's challenges and it's successes. And to not acknowledge that, or expect others not to expect it, or to call others spiteful for acknowledging it, is asinine.
Blitz
Team Captain

Word is that Benvedes would be one of the three top cnadidates for the Riders job, alnng with Hamitlon's defensve coordinator and Mike O'Shea. In Hamilton they are trying to talk to Kent Austin.

Benveveds supposedly wants the option to still coordinate the defense if he wants to as well as the ability to hire his won coaching staff.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

O'Shea has what maybe 2 years coaching experience and he's one of the top 3 candidates. No wonder the Riders finished last.
Gerry
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Gerry wrote:You'd think that in his retirement thread at Lionbackers that the winningest coach in CFL history could get some unequivocal congratulations and nothing else, but in true negative form, this board comes through with the same spiteful commentary that has made it so difficult to read over the past few seasons. Unbelievable. The guy just won a Grey Cup.
The sky in your world, I assume, is a purrfect shade of blue............................................
This isn't a retirement party where we do nothing but tell great stories about our years together. This is an honest discussion and reflection on the man's tenure here which had it's challenges and it's successes. And to not acknowledge that, or expect others not to expect it, or to call others spiteful for acknowledging it, is asinine.
I guess I did think that this was a retirement party, of sorts. I realize from reading your reply that yes, it was asinine on my part to expect that we could have one thread here without the constant second-guessing, revisionist history, woulda , coulda, shoulda, cut and paste essays on the shortcomings of Buono and Chapdelaine that have come to characterize this site.

In my opinion.

As for the suggestion that I read Lions Den instead, (****Mod edit****). I know that wasn't you Cromartie. Just taking the opportunity to say that. I've been on this site as long as many of you and I will read and reply as I see fit. I'd rather be a "fanboy" of the Lions than be a fanboy of the groupthink on this site. If Derek has an issue with my opinion I'll take my cue from him and no one else.
Enough is enough.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:O'Shea has what maybe 2 years coaching experience and he's one of the top 3 candidates. No wonder the Riders finished last.
Dickenson only has 3 years of experience and he is being interviewed in both Riderville and Hamilton.

Getting back to our Leos...its itneresting that Buono is choosing Benevedes over Chap (at least we all think) when Chap.

Chapdelaine began his pro coaching career with the Toronto Argos from 1992-93, where he served as receivers and special team coach. Chap coached at the University of Laval from 1994 - 1999...becoming HC in 1997 there and leading Laval to a Vanier Championship in 1999. Chapdelaine returned to the CFL iu 2001, serving as Wally's recievers caoch in Calgary before being promoted to OC in 2002 in Calgary. Chapdelaine followed Wally to B.C. in 2003, where he first served here as receivers coach in 2003/2004 although at approxmiately the 2/3 of the season in 2004 Chapdelaine left he spotter booth, went down to the sidelines to call plays, and really was in effect our OC for the last part of the 2004 season. Chap beame our OC from 2005-2006, went to Edmonton in 2007, and returned to B.C. after being fired in Edmonton. Chap was our receivers coach in 2008 (although he called the plays from the spotters booth that season), was our co-offensive coordinator in 2009, and was back as sole offensive coordiantor the past two seasons.

Mike Benevedes joined the Calgary Stampeders coaching staff in 2000...one year ahead of Chapdelaine being hired in Calgary. Benevedes coached the special teams and linebackers in Calgary from 2000-2002 before heading West with Wally to coach our special teams here in B.C. from 2003-2007. Benevedes became our defensive coordinator in 2008.

I was triggered to compare both Benevedes and Chap's background of coaching after i was asked on another thread why I believed Barrin Miles was a better candidate than Mark Washington for DC if Benevedes became HC.

Its interesting to compare both Benevedes and Chap. Benevedes has been with Wally one year longer but both have had long tenures with Wally, with the only caveat that Chap left for Edmonton for a promotion as both OC and Associate HC there.
Chap has more experience as a coordinator than Benevedes and Chap also has Head Coaching experience at the university level as well as winning a Canadian championship as a HC at the university level.

Before anyone thinks I've been into the Christmas spirits too early this is not a promo for Chap to become our HC. While I was thrilled with the changes he made to our offence along the way of our winning streak this season and his work in the playoffs as well...my frustration with him for too many seasons serves as a backdrop to his success this season.

I believe a lot of fans will believe that Chap leaving us for the 2007 season will be the reason that Benevedes gets 'the tap' (a good tap :wink: it was obvious to Chap in 2006 that Benevedes was being groomed for the future HC job here then and was a key reason that he left..along with the notion that Maccioca was not going to be HC very long in Edmonton.

Wally obviously believes that Benevedes is the better candidate and I concur. Benevedes can be all business but he is also an enthusiastic coach, very engaged with his players, had good interpersonal skills, can laugh and has warmth to his personality. Chap tends to be distant and very serious.

It would be interesting to know Wally's reason for choosing Benevedes as the guy he chose to groom for the HC position.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Good post Blitz...I think Wally knows that Benevides can relate to all of the players a lot more easily than Chapdelaine...and in this day and age, it is the key to successful coaching...open lines of communication and relatability...I am not sure what is causing the delay though in announcing MB as Head Coach...I find it interesting...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's good that Wally Buono is retiring from coaching with a championship. Way to go! :good: Here's some various thoughts and comments about him throughout his years with the CFL.

---------------------

Buono was born in Italy and still involves with the Italian-Canadian community. Some sources indicate that "Wally" was not his original name. I wonder if that is actually his nickname or he adopted that name after immigrating to Canada. In any case, nobody calls him his official first name - Pasquale.

---------------------

Who remembers his years as a Montreal Alouettes player? He played Linebacker and Punter. I don't know if he was ever selected as an all-star, but he did win two Grey Cups in 1974 and 1977. So that gives him a total of 7 Grey Cup rings.

---------------------

His 254 wins makes him 1st in the CFL and 3rd in Pro football as there are three NFL coaches who have more wins:

NFL Coach - Wins
1. Don Shula - 347
2. George Halas - 324
3. Tom Landry - 270
4. Curly Lambeau - 229

---------------------

Repeating a post I made earlier, I remember his first game as a head coach on July 13, 1990 at BC Place against the Lions who were coached by the man who Buono replaced, Lary Kurahich. Buono had far less grey hair, and was several pounds lighter. As far as the game itself, it was a see-saw game with the Lions trailing by a converted touchdown. Deep completed passes to Larry Willis and Ray Alexander allowed the Lions to tie up the game. The game went to OT and the game ended up as a tie. Kurahich's career in the CFL ended a few months later when he was fired and never coached another CFL game, whereas Buono led the Stampeders to first in the west for the first time in 19 years since 1971 when they last won the GC. But his first WDF game wasn't successful as Edmonton totally dominated with a 43-23 win. But he got revenge against Edmonton a year later when Calgary finished second, but managed to win the 1991 WDF in Edmonton highlighted with a long bomb from Barrett to Peewee Smith in the late stages. In that memorable 1991 GC game while the Argonauts won, Calgary produced much more offense with 28 first downs compared to Toronto’s 7, 406 tota yards for Calgary to 174 for Toronto, and 34-377 yards for Barrett vs. 12-142 yards for Dunigan.

---------------------

Early next year, we will find out if WB will win a fourth Annis Stukus Coach of the Year Trophy. In any case, he won't win more than Don Matthews who has won 5. In previous conversations as to who was the best Lions coach, it always goes down to a debate between Buono and Matthews. Now that Buono has won a second GC for the Lions, there's likely less debate now as most will choose Buono now. This picture was taken before the 1995 GC and I wonder which team Lions fans were rooting for. Since Buono and Calgary was always a huge rival while Matthews was a former Lion, I suppose most fans didn't mind if the Cup went to America.

---------------------

Ah.......another picture of the trophy that I love to post. :wink:

The player is Rocco Romano and I stated before that was one of the worst trades the Lions made. Romano turned out to be long-term Stampeder whereas Barrett was totally ineffective as a Lion in his two years. Although the Lions came short this time in 1999, DA and the Lions got revenge a year later I've posted that picture several times before. While Buono's Stampeders were very difficult to beat, it appeared that there were relapses more than a few times come playoff time, such as the aforementioned 1990 WDF and also the 1993 WDF to the Eskimos in which Edmonton clearly performed better. While everyone remembers the close 1994 WDF and that was anybody's game, there's no doubt that the underrated 2000 WDF was a big time relapse with 2000 MOP Dickenson. The Lions never trailed and took a huge lead and there was no denying that the Lions were clearly the better team in their 37-23 win.

---------------------

This picture was taken in January 2003 when Bob Ackles hired Buono while Damon Allen looks on.
Allen would be traded away shortly after this picture was taken. It's well known that Buono really develops great quarterbacks. One is left to wonder how well Buono would have gotten along with veteran QB Allen as he never coached him.

---------------------

Personally, his lowest moment so far in his lifetime would certainly be in late 2004 after losing the GC when he required triple cardiac bypass surgery. Buono was able to hide his health condition during the important playoff run other than refusing a Gatorade soak after the 2004 WDF. This is a very sentimental article about him condition.

http://rchfoundation.com/patient-storie ... os-story-2
Two months earlier, Buono started noticing chest discomfort during his regular running and weight lifting sessions. He consulted his internist, and after an angiogram, it was revealed that several arteries supplying blood and oxygen to his heart were severely narrowed. The main artery was more than 60% blocked. “I was told that I had a ‘widow’s artery’, because when it gets plugged, you don’t get a second chance – you die, “ said Buono.
---------------------

Notwithstanding Jim Young's temporary 1-game coach during the transition time in 1990, it looks like there are three others who served as coach and GM at the same time:

Joe Galat in 1989, but only after he fired Larry Donovan after the team started 0-4. Galat was gone after that season as well.
Bob O'Billovich when he was given the full reigns mid-1990 after Kuharich and Kapp were fired, and he was there until after the terrible 1992 season.
Adam Rita in two stints, first in 1997 to mid-98 before giving the coaching duties to Greg Mohns, and in mid-2002 after firing Steve Buratto.

That said, since Buono will still be GM, there's always that possibility that Buono will take over as coach again if the new coach is fired. Also, as full-time GM let's see if he can retain the best players and make good trades.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
pennw
Legend

Gerry wrote:
cromartie wrote:
The sky in your world, I assume, is a purrfect shade of blue............................................
This isn't a retirement party where we do nothing but tell great stories about our years together. This is an honest discussion and reflection on the man's tenure here which had it's challenges and it's successes. And to not acknowledge that, or expect others not to expect it, or to call others spiteful for acknowledging it, is asinine.
I guess I did think that this was a retirement party, of sorts. I realize from reading your reply that yes, it was asinine on my part to expect that we could have one thread here without the constant second-guessing, revisionist history, woulda , coulda, shoulda, cut and paste essays on the shortcomings of Buono and Chapdelaine that have come to characterize this site.

In my opinion.

As for the suggestion that I read Lions Den instead, piss off. I know that wasn't you Cromartie. Just taking the opportunity to say that. I've been on this site as long as many of you and I will read and reply as I see fit. I'd rather be a "fanboy" of the Lions than be a fanboy of the groupthink on this site. If Derek has an issue with my opinion I'll take my cue from him and no one else.
Very true Gerry . Couldn't have said it better myself . Count me out of the group think too . Been jumped on many times myself for not doing so .
Buonosjanet69
Starter

Just open up another thread and call it the "Wally Buono tribute thread" and then everyone can hold hands after.

Btw, nice tribute post Robbie. :cool:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote: Not one poster in this thread would, when it comes down to it, would rather have had the continuation of the Rita/Burrato years than had Wally here. Not one person posting in it wishes any ill will on the guy whatsoever. I doubt seriously that anyone ***MOD EDIT*** would characterize any of his accomplishments throughout his career as a fluke or anything that seriously demeans the credits of what he has accomplished in his decades in this game, a game of which he will continue to be a part, and for an organization of which he will continue to be a part.
(*****MOD EDIT*******)

Obviously you never took the time to read my comments on the “Lions 34 - Bombers 23 Grey Cup Stats and Comments”, after Grey Cup game was won (***MOD EDIT***)

I take your demeaning remarks as a personal attack on a fellow lionbacker, and seeing as no one else will call you out on it, I sure as hell will.

IIRM correctly you(***MOD EDIT*** ) claimed I had a man-crush on Jamal Johnson for extolling his virtues, and value to this team, before he was left no choice but move on… left only the only the hope of playing situation linebacker here on the Lions squad.

(***MOD EDIT***)
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
cromartie
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote: Obviously you never took the time to read my comments on the “Lions 34 - Bombers 23 Grey Cup Stats and Comments”, after Grey Cup game was won.
No, but I can go through your post history, and look at the "we are winning despite Wally, not because of him" signature that accompanies every post you make and draw a pretty reasonable conclusion on your opinion of his body of work. (I guess I should apologize to The Pauser in advance lest he end up as offended as you as well.)
I take your demeaning remarks as a personal attack on a fellow lionbacker, and seeing as no one else will call you out on it, I sure as hell will.
If you're that offended that I happened to miss your come to Jeebus on the guy, then I'm as sorry as anyone who offends someone they've never met on an internet message board could possibly be.I'll take the transparency of your skin and apparent blood pressure condition into consideration in the future.
IIRM correctly you(***MOD EDIT*** ) claimed I had a man-crush on Jamal Johnson for extolling his virtues, and value to this team, before he was left no choice but move on… left only the only the hope of playing situation linebacker here on the Lions squad.
(***MOD EDIT***)
Wait. You're insulted by the phrase 'man crush' uttered by someone who actually agreed with your opinion on Johnson over Glatt? And that's sat with you for three years? Really? You've stewed on something someone said on a message board for three years? So much so that, rather than diplomatically contacting someone privately about something they said, you make a spectacle of yourself in a discussion about Wally's retirement? I mean, that's your call I guess, but wow. Ok.

Also, you have an auto correct problem. Half of your post seems to have been replaced with the phrase "(***MOD EDIT***)". This makes it very difficult to respond to.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

:popcorn:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote::popcorn:
I know! This is getting good. I'm kinda backing Cro in this tho'.

Wally was a guy who brought great credibility and credibility to this organization at a time when it was desperately needed. He's an undisputed first ballot Hall of Fame shoo-in. He's one of the greatest coaches to ever grace a sideline in this league. But he's a human being, too. Some of his personnel/draft decisions over the years have been, to my mind, mystifying and more than a few of his in-game decisions (and at times even by his own admission) have been enough to make a grown man cry. Or drink. Or both.

Thank you F-Troop and thank you Mr. Buono. You've done us BC Lions fans proud. :thup:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wally has been a great coach and a great organization builder...Mr. Consistency, and that is something that the Lions needed desperately.

But Blitz is quite right...Wally was not/is not purrfect...and had Wally been a little more open to change, such as listening to his players and making more adjustments, we would have won more championships...that is why this year's win must feel so special to Wally...he knew he left a lot of hardware on the table over the years and by winning this one, it gives him 5 and a winning % in both Western Finals and Grey Cups...and you can't ask for much more than that...

But when you think back to 2004, 2005, and 2007 in particular, you can't help but think WTF? How did we not win the Cup in those seasons...

Again, thanks to Wally for everything, and now on to the front office, solely, and finding a way to keep this team together so we can repeat!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein