Season tickets renewals

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing that is good about season tickets is the options for a ST holder to dispose of ducats they can't use. In the old days you received the actual tickets and about the only way to "transfer" them was to physically get them into the hands of someone else. Now you can resell them through Ticketmaster, donate them to charity or forward them to a friend via email. All that can be done over the internet. For someone from out of town like me it works pretty good. When I was on the north island and had STs through the glory days of the mid 80s if I something came up where I couldn't make the game and I didn't have them in the snail mail at least a week in advance I was stuck with them. Now I could literally transfer them to somebody on their mobile device pretty much right up to game time. The fee is something like $1.95.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dtrain
Starter

My tix are the same, Sect 214, around $600 + tax/etc.
I do recall reading that some of the other sections were going up in price.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My tickets are going to set me back $2,352.89. Going to wait and see what changes the Lions are going to make before deciding to renew.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Going to wait and see what changes the Lions are going to make before deciding to renew.
Hopefully not many. We have the pieces in place (Lulay, Harris, Gore, Foster, Iannuzzi, Keron Williams, Reddick etc) to be a good team for a long time.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:My tickets are going to set me back $2,352.89. Going to wait and see what changes the Lions are going to make before deciding to renew.
Do you mind if I ask what section you're in?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Lions have pretty much priced me out just like the Canucks. I had st in 2006-2007 but now it's almost as pricey as going to the Canucks games. And it's easier to get hot broads to go to Canucks games over lions. Lol
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anglophone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:My tickets are going to set me back $2,352.89. Going to wait and see what changes the Lions are going to make before deciding to renew.
Section 214 behind the opposition bench 53 yard line.
SJ46
Starter

I have found a very simple solution to all of this, one that works for me anyway. That is, I have a ticket partner. We split the cost of two seasons tickets so my partner and a friend go to five games and I go to five games with my pal. Now with this recent renewal notice we did have a bit of sticker shock so we will probably bring in a third partner so the split is three ways instead of two. That way we each will get three games and one gets the exhibition game. For me it works really well as I just watch the games on HD if I'm not there. I don't really have time to go to all ten home games anyway but this still keeps me involved as a STH.
SJ46
Big_Lions_Fan
prospect

I am a 2011 season ticket holder for the same section. I called the sale rep at BC Lions and told the rep I would purchase two red zone season tickets for 2012. The rep said I can only receive discount on one of the two red zone seats. 30 min later I got a call from the rep and told me that it is a downgrade and won't give me any discount on the two red zone season tickets. So now, I dropped off and is no longer a season ticket any more. Prefer to watch it on HD-TV (50 inch) at home, cannot afford to go to the games at BC Place.
TheLionKing wrote:
Anglophone wrote:
Rammer
Team Captain

Big_Lions_Fan wrote:I am a 2011 season ticket holder for the same section. I called the sale rep at BC Lions and told the rep I would purchase two red zone season tickets for 2012. The rep said I can only receive discount on one of the two red zone seats. 30 min later I got a call from the rep and told me that it is a downgrade and won't give me any discount on the two red zone season tickets. So now, I dropped off and is no longer a season ticket any more. Prefer to watch it on HD-TV (50 inch) at home, cannot afford to go to the games at BC Place.
TheLionKing wrote:
Anglophone wrote: Do you mind if I ask what section you're in?
Those are signals that the Lions are getting beyond the average fan, something that they have to be very careful of, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big_Lions_Fan
prospect

The invoice for my renewable seat actually went up sharply as well for the same seat in my bclions account invoice. No sign of discount on the renew either.

The rep also messed up with the pricing and told me the red zone $460 is 2011's price. What the heck? it is on BC Lions website that it is 2012's price as you can see from here:
http://bclions.com/page/tickets

It is just not worth the hassle and prefer to watch at home and maybe will consider to go to the stadium for 1 or 2 regular season games.
Rammer wrote:
Big_Lions_Fan wrote:I am a 2011 season ticket holder for the same section. I called the sale rep at BC Lions and told the rep I would purchase two red zone season tickets for 2012. The rep said I can only receive discount on one of the two red zone seats. 30 min later I got a call from the rep and told me that it is a downgrade and won't give me any discount on the two red zone season tickets. So now, I dropped off and is no longer a season ticket any more. Prefer to watch it on HD-TV (50 inch) at home, cannot afford to go to the games at BC Place.

Those are signals that the Lions are getting beyond the average fan, something that they have to be very careful of, IMO.[/quote]
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big_Lions_Fan wrote:The invoice for my renewable seat actually went up sharply as well for the same seat in my bclions account invoice. No sign of discount on the renew either.

The rep also messed up with the pricing and told me the red zone $460 is 2011's price. What the heck? it is on BC Lions website that it is 2012's price as you can see from here:
http://bclions.com/page/tickets

It is just not worth the hassle and prefer to watch at home and maybe will consider to go to the stadium for 1 or 2 regular season games.
They have had an early bird discount for the last several years (which basically amounted to a one year lag on being hit with the annual price increases) but I seem to recall that they announced a while back that this would eventually be phased out, and it seems this (2012) is finally the year without any early buy-in incentive.

That $460 pricing doesn't include HST and facility fee, btw. For the yellow section those increase the $360 price tag to nearly $425, or about 18% extra, so I'm guessing the real damage for red section seats will be more like $530 a pop.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big_Lions_Fan
prospect

$425 is too much as well for me for the end zone corner (code: yellow). Glad to give up 2012 season ticket.
will catch it on TV.

[/quote]
They have had an early bird discount for the last several years (which basically amounted to a one year lag on being hit with the annual price increases) but I seem to recall that they announced a while back that this would eventually be phased out, and it seems this (2012) is finally the year without any early buy-in incentive.

That $460 pricing doesn't include HST and facility fee, btw. For the yellow section those increase the $360 price tag to nearly $425, or about 18% extra, so I'm guessing the real damage for red section seats will be more like $530 a pop.[/quote]
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

sj-roc wrote:That $460 pricing doesn't include HST and facility fee, btw. For the yellow section those increase the $360 price tag to nearly $425, or about 18% extra, so I'm guessing the real damage for red section seats will be more like $530 a pop.
Checked my "red zone" section invoice, formerly the silver section. The price has gone up roughly 15%:

2011 price per seat, including taxes: $423.20
2012 price per seat, including taxes: $487.30

That is without the $5.60 handling fee each year. Because I am renewing, it is still slightly discounted (by about $25) from the $460 + tax advertised for the red zone.

The actual invoice is higher still, because it now includes a charge for 2012 playoff tickets. These are 10% of the season ticket, or $48.73 per seat including taxes. Last year that was NOT billed in advance. I understand some other teams have done this for a while, and they just give you a credit (or refund on demand) if we don't get a home playoff game next year. I don't really object to that change.

So, a wee bit of sticker shock for me, but not too bad. And The Lions did tell me by e-mail earlier this year about the pending increases and how they would be phased in, so I can't complain about any lack of notice.

I know times are tough, but I hope the bump doesn't deter too many fans. Still very good entertainment value at $50 per game (ignoring the exhibition game).
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will