Playoff earnings

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

CFL playoff money is quite significant, especially for the Grey Cup winner. It's proportionately (to salary) much higher than other leagues.

"If you're a player on a team that finishes first in your division, you get $3,300 for that, plus an automatic $3,500 for playing in a division final. Competitors on teams involved in each divisional semi-final also get $3,300 for that, and $3,500 if they win and go on to the division final. If your team wins the divisional final and advances to the Grey Cup, you get $16,000 if your team wins that game and $8,000 if you lose." (SOURCE: 55 Yard Line sports blog)

Add it up and the Grey Cup winner can make off with $22,800 in playoff earnings, plus a Grey Cup ring (that's generally appraised in the $16,000 - $20,000 range). So potentially it adds close to $50K to a player's net worth over a 2 week period. That's quite a windfall for a player making the league mimimum of $43,000.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Wow... And also, come free agency time, that's a big bargaining chip for good teams that are looking for some players.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for that David...I think we all would like to see CFL players earn more money...there isn't another athlete in the world that works harder and plays for this kind of money. It is one of the things that makes this game the best on the planet...

I am hopeful that with yet again record TV ratings, the league will be able to increase the salary cap for next season. The contract the league is in line for, should be the best in the history of the league!

Also, I would like to see that active rosters increased by 2 more players so that teams are able to carry more backup O and D Linemen...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:...I think we all would like to see CFL players earn more money...

Amen Brother! Considering these guys lay their life and health on the line every week coupled with the tremendous entertainment they provide us, I feel they're grossly underpaid. Some may disagree with this, but compared to other leagues CFL salaries are a pittance. I "get" that the economics of the CFL is driven by TV contracts and our smaller population, but I nonetheless feel their meager salaries adds to the negative perception of the league among some (the ill-informed). Especially some of those "NFL only" nitwits who think that the talent disparity between the two leagues is commensurate with the salary disparity (i.e. the NFL is 100x better because they make 100x more money).

And rest assured, taking a blind-side hit to the ribs by a 300lb defensive lineman hurts equally in both leagues!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting information.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: I am hopeful that with yet again record TV ratings, the league will be able to increase the salary cap for next season. The contract the league is in line for, should be the best in the history of the league!
MexicoLionFan, the TV ratings have nothing to do with the salary cap directly. The ratings can go through the roof (and they have) and yet this still does not equate to higher tv revenue deals. Thanks for that toronto.. you're all a bunch of a holes. Somehow, the CFL is used as a punching bad for the tarana networks.. now if it was hockey that's a different story.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

David wrote:. Some may disagree with this, but compared to other leagues CFL salaries are a pittance.
Who could or would disagree with this? I would think it's quite obvious...
David
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
David wrote:. Some may disagree with this, but compared to other leagues CFL salaries are a pittance.
Who could or would disagree with this? I would think it's quite obvious...
You connected the wrong dot. I think everyone agrees with CFL salaries being small, but my previous sentence was that I feel CFLers are "grossly underpaid."

I have read on CFL boards (including this one IIRC) that they make "decent money for 6 months work to play the game they love," and that "if they made more, ticket prices would go up." I just hope our next TV contract is significantly higher so we can pay these guys fairly and attract more players. They're never going to make millions, so I don't think people have to worry about the economics of the game from that standpoint, but I feel the minimum salary should be at least $75K/yr for what these guys go through.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
geroy_simon_081
Starter

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks for that David...I think we all would like to see CFL players earn more money...there isn't another athlete in the world that works harder and plays for this kind of money. It is one of the things that makes this game the best on the planet...

I am hopeful that with yet again record TV ratings, the league will be able to increase the salary cap for next season. The contract the league is in line for, should be the best in the history of the league!

Also, I would like to see that active rosters increased by 2 more players so that teams are able to carry more backup O and D Linemen...
Agreed in full. Terrific post. And I do believe with the new revenue sources through the new TV deals, sponsorships, new stadiums, player salaries will increase.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I would like to see a minimum salary in the league that rivalled 6 figures...I think that should be the minimum for what these young men risk...

As for CFLers being grossly underpaid, it is all relative...to you and I, they are paid somewhat fairly, but compared to the NFL or the NHL they are massively underpaid...

For the past 6-8 years the CFL has experienced a zenith in its history...the level of play (refereeing not included) has been as competitive and entertaining as ANY LEAGUE in the world...and all for an affordable price.

Yes, I agree that ticket prices should stay where they are so that you and I can afford to go to games, or buy season tickets, so that means that TV MONEY needs to increase...and word is, that the ratings have been sky high and the league is going to sign a huge deal this offseason with TSN or potentially TSN/CBC

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, its the best game in the world and I LOVE IT!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein