Stadium Complaints...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

I agree with the complaints about the beer lineups, but what may have contributed to them was the fact that there weren't any vendors serving the seated fans? I certainly didn't see any in my section, nor were there any food vendors ie popcorn, peanuts etc.

I was disapointed with the food selection as I thought I had heard on the news about revamped concessions with more food choices? Yes, there were some stalls completely vacant, or with very little selection available but, there was still much of the usual junk - hot dogs, burgers, fries etc. Previously at the "old" stadium there was a wicked noodle food stand near my section, which I desperately searched for last night but it was not there any more. :bang:

Even the woman selling 50/50 tickets had run out of the blue 7 for $10 tickets (which they always draw) by time she got to me!

Next, I found the digital ring around the stadium a bit too much. The continuous advertising was very distracting and it would be nice if they would only use it for company adverts maybe every 5 minutes or so. The washrooms are basically the same except they finally got in to the new millenium and replaced the old push button taps at the sinks with touchless taps as well as sensor activated paper towel dispensers. :thup:

To witness the roof opening was awesome, and the nice cool fresh air was a refreshing change from the dead stale air in the old stadium. Still can't believe a woman next to me was grumbling that it was too cold and wished they would close it.........

Overall the new stadium feels much more big league what with the new giant screen and coloured seats etc. Hopefully they sort out all the opening night hiccups and I am looking forward to the next game/win!
Stay thirsty my friends.
ziggy
Legend

I'm amazed at some of the complaints I've seen in the media mostly about the cost of the reno. A lot of people complaining have valid criticism, but a lot never attended the game and are simply PO'd because they had pet projects they considered more worthy. Kind of like the Olympics, until we have free housing ,free food and free recreational drugs, some folks feel we shouldn't even consider these other expenditures.
smphantom
Legend

What did you promise Howard? I did see the Vij's stand, but they only had vegetarian curry left and a buddy of mine told me it was good, but the portions were very small for the $10.50 they charged. I ended up buying a chicken shawarma for an exorbitant price that I can't and don't want to remember, and it wasn't very good. I certainly didn't see 140 food stalls around the concourse of Level 2??

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/21033
Stay thirsty my friends.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I love beer... as much as anyone, probably more than a lot of people. But I almost never buy a beer at a game (BCP or EF). It's simply way overpriced, and too inconvenient to stand in line (missing the game which is the real reason I am there). The money I save on beer at the stadium I would rather spend on a six pack for tailgating, a few pints at the pub, or a nice bottle of wine after the game.

Consider the long line-ups and lack of supply as a blessing... it just might stop you from paying 500% too much for crappy beer, PLUS you'll get to see more of the actual game.

Of course this concession stand controversy will at least give the "I can always find an excuse not to go to a lions game" people a new reason to stay away. :violin:
dpoe
Starter

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Eat before you get there. Problem solved.
:whs:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are many ways to provide faster service.
1. Have vendors go through every section with beer, soft drinks, hotdogs, poppcorn and ice cream. It worked at Empire and works at most major stadiums. No lineups. No waiting.
2. Serve beer in cans or plastic bottles. Fans in most stadiums can handle that without turning the cans and bottles into weapons.
3. Pre-pour. Concession stand workers last night had to leave their stations and walk past other workers to pour a beer from a common tap, sometimes standing in line with other workers wanting to access the same tap. Ridiculous.
4. Have more stand-alone beer concessions so those of us who want food only don't have to mingle with those wanting beer only.
Anglophone
All Star

Not a complaint about the stadium, but the McDonalds outside was complete garbage. 25% for fountain water? Give me a break. I went into subway and got it for free.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, could the issue be the stadium staff has never dealt with such a large crowd before and it caused problems just through sheer volume?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

dpoe wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Eat before you get there. Problem solved.
Not a valid argument or solution. This can be corrected, and it should be mentioned. I'm sure the Lions or BC Place don't want to have to add "Eat Before You Get Here' to their slogan.

I wouldn't be on this site posting if I was not a diehard Lions fan, so I am not one of those finding excuses to complain about BC Place people. But if there is a glaring problem, yuo should work to correct it, rather than tell people to deal with it. I went to my first Seahawks game this year, Preseason, with 65,000 and didn't wait more than 10 min for anything, and I'd be surprised if it was even close to ten min. So it CAN be corrected.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:This can be corrected, and it should be mentioned. I'm sure the Lions or BC Place don't want to have to add "Eat Before You Get Here' to their slogan.

I wouldn't be on this site posting if I was not a diehard Lions fan, so I am not one of those finding excuses to complain about BC Place people. But if there is a glaring problem, yuo should work to correct it, rather than tell people to deal with it. I went to my first Seahawks game this year, Preseason, with 65,000 and didn't wait more than 10 min for anything, and I'd be surprised if it was even close to ten min. So it CAN be corrected.

I didn't even consider trying to get anything from the concessions. When I was down in the concourse, I could see the concession lines were barely moving at all. If there was fast service, I would have no doubt bought some growlies.
smphantom
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:There are many ways to provide faster service.
2. Serve beer in cans or plastic bottles. Fans in most stadiums can handle that without turning the cans and bottles into weapons.
Exactly! I was at McMahon in Calgary a couple of weeks ago to see the Lions demolish the Stamps (Thanks again Rick!) and that's what they do there. Every few feet they had vendors selling cans of Molson Canadian straight out of the case for cash only. It was great as you didn't have to go far, or face a lineup for another cold one.

Unfortunately Vancouver sports fans still have a LOT of growing up to do, so it won't work here as they will use them as weapons etc.
Stay thirsty my friends.
firstandgoal
Rookie

notahomer wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:OK, I can see how lineups and shortages would upset fans... but I always wonder why spectators feel the need to visit the concession stand at the end of every quarter? If you were not at the game you could easily go an hour without stuffing your face with popcorn, hotdogs, etc. But go to a game and suddenly you need to reload on junk food every hour (or less).

It's like those people who as soon as they get on a airplane feel the need to eat something. Doesn't matter if the flight is only an hour, they want food, and they will *beeotch* about the little bag of peanuts they get instead of a three course meal.

Get to the game early, get your popcorn and other assorted snacks before kick-off, and then sit back and enjoy the game. You actually can go three hours without having to stuff your face again, in fact you probably do it all the time when you are not at a stadium.
All great points, IMO. What really irks me is other things too. Some just aren't aware of how football games work and/or don't care. Probably a bit of both. For eg you sit through a commercial break, the guy waves the towel signalling TSN is ready to broadcast, the Ref blows play in and WHAM, you gotta get up and go get food/bathroom. WHY DIDN"T YOU GO DURING THE COMMERCIAL BREAK? YOU GOTTA GO WHEN THE PLAYS BEING RUN. The one nice thing is the replay screen is so massive you don't miss the play.....

Agreed, $10 for a beer and hour long line-ups? Stuff yourself before the game and watch the action on the field! In addition, nothing more annoying than some "fan" who decides to get up and leave their seat in the middle of live action blocking your view. I more or less solved this problem by specifically asked for my season tickets to be in the dead center of a section/row. :beauty:
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
ziggy
Legend

I'm betting if 50,000 showed up consistently for the games most of the lineup problems would be solved. To be fair early in the week people were talking a crowd in the mid thirties and late in the week mid forties. Pretty hard to find , train and hire the extra people needed in so short of time and maybe not all that practical for a one time crowd surge. I think if the same thing happens for the Grey Cup, when they crowd number is a known and there is plenty of time to hire additional staff, then I would be concerned.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

OK, it's broken record time. WHY did it take the video board operator 58:12 to FINALLY shut up the morons who were constantly making noise and waving on offence? As much as I loved the videos encouraging fans to make noise, it would be equally useful to have some players (maybe someone intimidating like Soll-E or Khalif Mitchell) telling people to shut the hell up-maybe not in so many words, but you know what I mean. It was infuriating. Who would I suggest that to? Oh yeah and that dumbass Crazy P needs to learn the rules too-he was beating the drum on offence in the upper deck :bang:
Real women wear orange!!