What has Lulay impressed you most with?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Whatever it takes to win
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Certainly his ability to stay pretty calm and cool given the losses, dropped balls and lack of a balanced attack putting it all on his shoulders pretty much where other teams who were running and throwing were winning. He is certainly not a whiner like Durant in Riderville nor like Burris some years back when he never accepted any blame.

Other than the long failing passes (Chap calls) early this which had little hope of success he has recently had better tools and now wins.

He hasn't complained for good reason with the Lions about not being able to run. Even now the OL are just saying how good it is to not pass block 25 plays in a row. If said before the change the guy would be in Hamilton now.

As far as Wally developing other QBs you may or not have noticed that this season Wally has gone with just this guy spelled by Jarius with little game time for Reilly as of yet. This was deliberate I am sure as he needs to get his starter more reps and games sooner than later. It also was due to their losing and no injury to Lulay. I am not criticizing this, just saying it. But Wally always gave the QBs practice reps fairly in practice and likely still does. I find it odd that even today some coaches still don't give backups much to do at practice other than scout team betting their starter won't get nicked. Even when they had Dickinson, Printers, Pierce and Jackson around there was something going on with all of them. I recall Printers working one on one with the QB coach then Stef Kruck - when CP was coming off injury. I think JC is the QB coach and for my money while he calls some decent games in this run now, JC is not one you can point to and see how talent with him there develops. Watching him work practices I never felt he was much of a teaching coach (what receiver did he develop for example. I think the receivers when he had that job learned more from Geroy and Clermont than JC).
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

Didn't Riley play in Sakatchewan? I thought he was in at the end of the game??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:Didn't Riley play in Sakatchewan? I thought he was in at the end of the game??
I should say little game time for Mike Reilly. That is not a bad thing as Lulay as Wally says is still a young QB and needs to play. The sooner he gets to elite status the sooner the team wins a Grey Cup. After dumping Printers it was a case of playing the guy regardless of what he did just to see if he was the QB of the future or not.

Reilly's stats here : 2 passes and 1 completion for 12 yards in 2011.
http://www.bclions.com/roster/show/id/3541

Again NOT criticizing the Lions for this. Just noting that the QB factory has not been getting these guys more time. Situation prevents it I suspect. There is not a separate QB now (JC does that?) so likely no one pressing the case for the 3rd guy to get game time. I don't see a conspiracy to avoid a QB controversy by not trying the 3rd guy when they were losing. Wally has never shied from that as I honestly think many HC's do. If the backup goes in and does well the coach takes heat. The old thinking.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know some CFL fans hate it when the NFL gets brought up here, but IMO, Toppy's right, IMO. The NFL's Colts are having a terrible season right now. Their starter and first ballot HallofFamer (Peyton Manning :cool: ) gets hurt and they had to bring in an outsider to fill his place. Their 'backup' for quite a number of seasons Curtis Painter (not so sure if I got the first name right) just hasn't had snaps, EVEN in practice. I think he said he gets ONE SNAP per week at practice. Obviously gets some scout team in there too but how do you expect these guys to be there when you need them if you don't give them a chance when you don't desperately need them?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I like Lulay's speed and mobility and his ability to throw on the run. He also seems like a quick study.
I thought that the Calgary game was a great learning experience for him as he faced a blitz most of the game. While he didn't burn the man to man coverage as often as an experienced vet might have, he did enough to win and didn't panic or make very many mistakes. Now having faced this kind of intense pressure, if Lions can make the playoffs, he should have a good comfort zone at a time when teams up the intensity.
joe kapp22
Legend

notahomer wrote:I know some CFL fans hate it when the NFL gets brought up here, but IMO, Toppy's right, IMO. The NFL's Colts are having a terrible season right now. Their starter and first ballot HallofFamer (Peyton Manning :cool: ) gets hurt and they had to bring in an outsider to fill his place. Their 'backup' for quite a number of seasons Curtis Painter (not so sure if I got the first name right) just hasn't had snaps, EVEN in practice. I think he said he gets ONE SNAP per week at practice. Obviously gets some scout team in there too but how do you expect these guys to be there when you need them if you don't give them a chance when you don't desperately need them?

Football is Football-Cam Wake in an Miami area interview

Just makes sense, but then again, we started out poorly, those teams that could get some other Qb's game time, were much better and not digging out of a 1-5 or 1-7 hole.

Do agree though, JJax is still fairly young, but it would be nice to see Reily get some reps at Qb as the Colts and really, the Argos, are discovering, put all of your eggs in one basket and you could wind up with the #1 overall draft choice after a really poor season.

An aside, but Lulay took Reily out to salmon fish, and coached him up and he wound up catching one.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

He never makes dumb mistakes. Unlike Darian Durant he's always or almost always doing smart things with the football. He's also the type of guy that you can see the team immediately took a liking to and is willing to follow. He has a presence about him that says maturity and quiet confidence.

I'm a big believer in Travis, because even when unspectacular he makes good decisions with the football. As he continues to grow as a player he'll improve even moreso. Lulay is a bigger more athletic version of Dave Dickenson.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I know some CFL fans hate it when the NFL gets brought up here, but IMO, Toppy's right, IMO. The NFL's Colts are having a terrible season right now. Their starter and first ballot HallofFamer (Peyton Manning :cool: ) gets hurt and they had to bring in an outsider to fill his place. Their 'backup' for quite a number of seasons Curtis Painter (not so sure if I got the first name right) just hasn't had snaps, EVEN in practice. I think he said he gets ONE SNAP per week at practice. Obviously gets some scout team in there too but how do you expect these guys to be there when you need them if you don't give them a chance when you don't desperately need them?
This happens in other sports as well. Backups seldom see any action. When teams need to go to their backup it's no wonder they don't perform.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

His poise and composure under pressure. He may not have a cannon like a Mike Bishop or Jarious but this kid has moxy and the football smarts to get the job done. :thup: He's a hybrid, part Matt Dunigan and part Dave Dickinson.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
This happens in other sports as well. Backups seldom see any action. When teams need to go to their backup it's no wonder they don't perform.

I know actual game snaps is suppossed to be the best. But how can a team not even give the backups some SNAPS at practice. Practice matters for sure. The one BC Lions practice I attended, the backups got to take some snaps. I'm glad Wally gets them some game snaps when he can too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I just read on the BC Lions website that Travis Lulay is turning 28 today. Happy Birthday Lulay hope you get a win on Friday!!!
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

I love it - 7 or 8 weeks ago the lurkers and trolls were posting "Lulay Sucks" everywhere and posters on this forum were down on him and partially blaming him for all the Lions woes. I knew this guy was no Casey Printers and I stuck up for him through it all. I saw what he did in 2010 training camp and I thought "this kid is going places". When his game worn 2009 retro jersey became available, even before he was named as the starter last season, I bought it for my collection, because I figured it was going to have some sentimental value some day. I became a big supporter of him as I watched him lead the Lions to the west Semi-final last year. I knew what was happening at the start of this season was not his doing - we saw what he could do last year. I've met him a few times and what impresses me even more than his skills, which are becoming more and more evident each week, was his humility, his confidence and the fact that he's just a really nice guy. There doesn't seem to be any pretenses or arrogance with him. His calm leadership style has earned him a ton of respect in the locker room and on the field. He loves to play football, he loves to win, and his atitude is infectious. The guy is a serious 'baller. Arm, feet and guts. Remember the goal line dive against Calgary last season, the 52 yard run at Empire a couple weeks ago, and the huge effort he made to make the tackle after tossing an interception in the game against Edmonton on July 16th? That kind of character and effort certainly impressed the rest of the team. Guys get behind a character guy like that in a big way. I'm happy he's seeing the success he is right now - he deserves it.