Team 1040 without David Pratt...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm delighted that he's gone. Don't like his "know it all" attitude. Spends way too much time talking about movies, actors, actresses etc.
almo89
Legend

I'm going to miss him. Him and Don Taylor understood what sports radio was about. They understand that it's entertainment. If all I wanted was pure sports, I would just check the internet, but I like hearing the mindless banter that they tend to do. And of course, he gives the Lions a lot of airtime which is a plus.
Rammer
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:I'm going to miss him. Him and Don Taylor understood what sports radio was about. They understand that it's entertainment. If all I wanted was pure sports, I would just check the internet, but I like hearing the mindless banter that they tend to do. And of course, he gives the Lions a lot of airtime which is a plus.
I agree, but I think that the endless time spent upon the politics of Vancouver (bike lanes), happened too frequently if you listened daily for me. The Team still may be making a mistake, but they knew that DT was the guy that listeners tuned into hear more religiously. I will miss the Lion loyalty that Pratt did offer though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
donefron
Starter

NO MORE BIKE LANE COVERAGE!!! or any other Vancouver civic political cr@p that people outside of Vancouver could care less about on a sports station!
almo89
Legend

Rammer wrote:
almo89 wrote:I'm going to miss him. Him and Don Taylor understood what sports radio was about. They understand that it's entertainment. If all I wanted was pure sports, I would just check the internet, but I like hearing the mindless banter that they tend to do. And of course, he gives the Lions a lot of airtime which is a plus.
I agree, but I think that the endless time spent upon the politics of Vancouver (bike lanes), happened too frequently if you listened daily for me. The Team still may be making a mistake, but they knew that DT was the guy that listeners tuned into hear more religiously. I will miss the Lion loyalty that Pratt did offer though.
I agree, but I think the show was never as good when Don Taylor was manning the show while Pratt was on holidays. When it was the other way around, Pratt was able to hold down the fort. Don Taylor will always be the "side kick", but never the main guy. We'll see how Bmac does, but I don't like how Bmac always cut off his guests while they are talking. Pratt was a better interviewer. He would always let the guest speak.
dtrain
Starter

I'm a big Pratt fan - warts & all - I could tolerate the Van political talk because I'm a Van resident - so I was very disappointed to find out he's gone. I'm not a BMac fan, I'd rather hear about entertainment and Van. politics/issues than about baseball. Taylor's okay, always funny, but Pratt was their ace - and a passionate CFL guy like me. Bad move by TeamRadio, they'll regret it.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
BMac will be replacing Pratt, and during the introduction to today's show he spoke of how the show will undergo an evolution of sorts. He mentioned that he wants to talk more baseball, and that Taylor wants to talk more lacrosse.
Yes, this town has been screaming for more baseball talk and the niche sport lacrosse. Of course. I'll be sticking with SiriusXM 91 thanks.
Tighthead
Legend

Taylor seems like he is prett disinterested these days. He doesn't do any prep, just rolls in for 2.5 hours or whatever and rolls. Nice gig. It has always been so, but now he sounds bored.

I am not a BMac guy. I find he inserts too much of himself into interviews.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
That''s what she said.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Tighthead wrote:Taylor seems like he is prett disinterested these days. He doesn't do any prep, just rolls in for 2.5 hours or whatever and rolls. Nice gig. It has always been so, but now he sounds bored.

Taylor seemed more like the comedic sidekick with his puns, barbs and double entendre. I don't think he needed to prep because he mostly ad libs and feeds off whatever the host is doing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
That was my thoughts too. As a sports fan I tune in to these things to hear about sports. With Pratt it seemed like 15 minutes of each hour was spent on his non-sports agenda or talking about movies or TV shows. Then the 45 minutes he actually covered sports topics he'd just repeat the same topics again in each of the rest of the hours of the program. The only difference was he'd have a different guest with whom to repeat the topic and counter with his same opinion which became a very tired opinion by the end of the 3rd hour.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Didn't dislike Pratt nor do I dislike BMAC but baseball is fine if they talk about the Van. local team and game.

Pratt is more interesting of those two.

What I don't like about the Pratts of the world is that these guys talks sports but don't go the games.

But for my money I've always been a big fan of the Moj as he has the most guests on his shows when he had his own afternoon show at the other station and I felt he had the right mix of local and US major leagues. He knows football and he'd be great if he had that afternoon slot as he'd get more indepth with the Lions.

When the Moj was in competition I'd have his show on unless the 1040 did a Lions segment.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I don't listen much to the sports talk shows. It gets redundant, and they labour to beat topics to death. They discuss every possible, conceivable angle.

Pratt is very good at what he does.

Taylor IMO is at his best doing the sports news. Funny. Good emotion in his voice.

He does sound bored doing talk radio. Bored and very subdued.

Radio guys seem to be a lot about ego. And I would not be surprised if that is what happened with Pratt.

BMac? Ah well, I won't be listening much anyway.