CFL Team Rankings after 18 Games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Team number 8, in an 8 team league ... the B.C. Lions ... Hooray
Is this becoming Groundhog Day or what? Dropped balls, missed passes and another curious decision by head coach Wally Buono. It’s no wonder owner David Braley decided to make an emergency visit to the Lions’ headquarters. The season is slowly sliding away for B.C., and there are so many areas that need to be addressed. The question is where? The back end and the receiving corps are both a mess. Tad Kornegay has been signed; it’s just a matter of where he plays on the defence because he’s versatile enough to play various positions. Tim Brown is becoming a multi-purpose playmaker as a running back/receiver and a returner.
Dropped balls, missed passes, poor tackling, curious decisions by head coach Wally Buono.

Hey, just another year with the Good Ship Lollypop. Not a complete shipwreck though, according to David Braley.

Until this year, as I've said a number of times, IMO Montreal and Calgary have enjoyed a coaching advantage over their CFL rivals.

This year, IMO Edmonton, Winnipeg and Hamilton have closed that gap.

Toronto? Looks shaky.

Saskatchewan? Misses Tillman. Misses Austin. Even misses Ken Miller, who has moved upstairs.

B.C.? Misses the good old days, when talent ruled, and new fangled coaches didn't run rings around "mentor" Wally Buono and his "student coaches."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The two Braley owned teams are at the bottom of the heap. Hell no, it's not a shipwreck. Maybe we could move the Argos coaching staff to BC and BC's to Toronto.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After Week 6, how I see the teams ...

1 Winnipeg ... Won the battle of the leaders. Offence showing signs of life behind Buck and Fred. Best defence in the CFL.

2 Edmonton ... Best offence and best defence in the West.

3 Montreal ... Getting into gear? Have some teams caught up to the advantage previously enjoyed by Trestman? I think so.

4 Calgary ... Getting into gear? Have some teams caught up to the advantage previously enjoyed by Hufnagel? I think so.

5 Hamilton ... In tough behind Winnipeg and Montreal. Can they catch them this year? Don't think so.

6 B.C. ... Yeayy. Up from 8th. Out of the basement. Are we better than Saskatchewan and Toronto? I think so. Can we compete in terms of consistency and winning attitude with the top 5? Not at this time IMO. Braley West.

7 Saskatchewan ... Such a fall from the heights of the last four years. Is it all on Greg Marshall? Well, it seems a lot of it is. And on Brendan Taman.

8 Toronto ... Braley East. Looks dysfunctional. Barker has thrown in his lot with Cleo Lemon. D'oh. Braley has thrown in his lot with Jim Barker. D'oh.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well I think the Lions deserve their #6 ranking but IMO, the Riders, Argos, Lions could be 6 A, B, C. I'm hoping the Lions are the best of the bunch but who knows.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Well I think the Lions deserve their #6 ranking but IMO, the Riders, Argos, Lions could be 6 A, B, C. I'm hoping the Lions are the best of the bunch but who knows.
I can't believe that Hamilton is in 5th spot, there is quite the gap between them and the Lions. I do agree with the 6 A B C, as that group is going to be battling for the final playoff position.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Offensively, Edmonton, Hamilton, B.C., Calgary and Winnipeg are bunched pretty closely at second to sixth in most statistical categories. Defensively, the Lions are clearly sixth but have climbed from eighth last week. As long as the defence keeps improving, the team should keep moving up the overall rankings.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL power rankings: Week 6, by Perry Lefko ...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with Perry Lefko's ranking that the Lions are #6. Beat Winnipeg next week and they'll move up a couple of slots.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with Perry Lefko's ranking that the Lions are #6....
How so? BC played Montreal tight (4 pt loss) while the Argos have been blown out (twice) by Montreal, the last of which came at home this past week with Montreal coming off a 2 game losing streak.

BC also leads the Argos offensively and defensively. It's not saying much mind you, but I'd have B.C. at #6 not Toronto.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with Perry Lefko's ranking that the Lions are #6. Beat Winnipeg next week and they'll move up a couple of slots.
We're 7th, not 6th.

We should be 6th, though.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sure its not the first time but the Argos moved up a spot after losing to the AL's. This was a loss at home! These rankings mean nothing but I don't see why the Argos move up considering how they lost. :dizzy:
That being said, I still think the teams from 6-8 are going to need more than 1 win to climb into 5th. IOW, the Lions will need to beat the Bombers and the game after that (Esks) to move up to 5th, IMO.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Sure its not the first time but the Argos moved up a spot after losing to the AL's. This was a loss at home! These rankings mean nothing but I don't see why the Argos move up considering how they lost. :dizzy:
That being said, I still think the teams from 6-8 are going to need more than 1 win to climb into 5th. IOW, the Lions will need to beat the Bombers and the game after that (Esks) to move up to 5th, IMO.
It is an easy way for a journalist to stir the pot, and that is how I view these PR's at the best of times. 6 - 8th are pretty well interchangeable, so lets not get to excited unless the Lions don't leapfrog the Argos with a W against the Bombers (yes that could happen).
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

David wrote:BC also leads the Argos offensively and defensively. It's not saying much mind you, but I'd have B.C. at #6 not Toronto.

What does 6th place get you that 7th doesn't? LOL....Other than Winnipeg and Edmonton, so far, everyone else is an also-ran.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
David wrote:BC also leads the Argos offensively and defensively. It's not saying much mind you, but I'd have B.C. at #6 not Toronto.

What does 6th place get you that 7th doesn't? LOL....Other than Winnipeg and Edmonton, so far, everyone else is an also-ran.
I would wait out this weekend's play to dismiss Montreal into the also ran category.