Kick offs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pdxlion
Rookie

Why did we kick off to start the game and then again at half time? We trying to spot them a possession? Why would we give up a possession? Don't understand. We end the half with the momentum and then we kick off to start the second half and bango they score in a couple plays.
Spud387
Champion

By electing to kick off to start the second half we pick the side of the field. So the Lions felt they would rather have the strong wind behind them in the 4th
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Spud387 wrote: So the Lions felt they would rather have the strong wind behind them in the 4th
LMAO, just in case they needed to attempt a long field goal? Rather than say, go for it on 3rd and 10....with 2:33 left and a timeout.

You mean for that reason?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

Yes, decision #327 that has backfired on Wally this year.

The Bombers scored a TD on the opening drive of the 2nd half - you know, the one that the Bombers should have kicked off to us?!? :bang:

There was no wind advantage in the 2nd half. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The wind hardly seemed to be a factor. A real dumb ass decision after establishing some momentum to end the first half. It was like we were getting the ball back right after the McCallum FG to end the first half and Wally thought otherwise. Just brutal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Yes, decision #327 that has backfired on Wally this year.

The Bombers scored a TD on the opening drive of the 2nd half - you know, the one that the Bombers should have kicked off to us?!? :bang:

There was no wind advantage in the 2nd half. :sigh:

DH :cool:
SammyGreene wrote:The wind hardly seemed to be a factor. A real dumb ass decision after establishing some momentum to end the first half. It was like we were getting the ball back right after the McCallum FG to end the first half and Wally thought otherwise. Just brutal.
LOL

Brain fart. More like constipated thinking.

"Hmmmm, let's see, we'll surprise everyone by choosing to kick off the second half. How to justify it? Ummmm, well ... we get the wind at our backs in the fourth quarter. That way, Paul will have a better chance to kick a winning field goal after we squander our lead from half time. Yeah. That way, I can say I was being aggressive and going for the win."

What if there is no wind in the fourth quarter? "D'oh."

What if you get a third down decision of whether to go for it again? "D'oh."

Cry or laugh? After two and a half years of gross ineptitude, and many weaknesses perceived even earlier, I choose to laugh a bit. Keystone Kops. Kind of embarrassing. Even Wally said it was embarrassing for David Braley to have to give him the reassurance, the "confidence vote," publicly.
Tighthead
Legend

I seem to recall Wally making a similar decision in the last year or two - maybe the playoff in Saskatchewan last year?

He gets hung up on wind when making these decisions. It's like Chaps with hand signals.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Could someone please clarify who won the coin toss and who made what choices to start the game? I was also having trouble figuring this out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Tighthead
Legend

Wally must have won and deferred? I think you can defer in the CFL. I get a little mixed up on some of the rules distinctions between NFL-NCAA-CFL.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Could someone please clarify who won the coin toss and who made what choices to start the game? I was also having trouble figuring this out.
1)We won the toss
2) We differed to the second half
3) Bombers chose to recieve
4) We chose side
5) We come out in the second half and CHOOSE THE SIDE AGAIN (to get wind in 4th quarter)
6) Bombers choose to recieve
7) Bombers score on opening play in second half

regarding buono's decision at the start of the second half: IT DOSENT TAKE AN F'N ROCKET SCIENTIST TO GO ON THE WEATHER NETWORK AND SEE THAT THE WIND : "BECOMING CALM EARLY IN THE EVENING" as i saw before the game started... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Could someone please clarify who won the coin toss and who made what choices to start the game? I was also having trouble figuring this out.
1)We won the toss
4) We chose side
5) We come out in the second half and CHOOSE THE SIDE AGAIN (to get wind in 4th quarter)

regarding buono's decision at the start of the second half: IT DOSENT TAKE AN F'N ROCKET SCIENTIST TO GO ON THE WEATHER NETWORK AND SEE THAT THE WIND : "BECOMING CALM EARLY IN THE EVENING" as i saw before the game started... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Thank you, kd4e. Now can someone please explain, in step 4 above, why we chose to put the wind in our face in the second quarter? If we're making choices based on the wind, shouldn't we be putting the wind at our backs after the three minute warning, no matter which half? This is all aside from whatever strategic errors happened in the second half.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote:
1)We won the toss
4) We chose side

Thank you, kd4e. Now can someone please explain, in step 4 above, why we chose to put the wind in our face in the second quarter? If we're making choices based on the wind, shouldn't we be putting the wind at our backs after the three minute warning, no matter which half? This is all aside from whatever strategic errors happened in the second half.
LOL

Ah yes. It seems you have seen deeper into this decision than Wally did. No surprise there. I guess he didn't have it on his "Decision Card." Ooopps he forgot his Decision Card in the dressing room? What? He doesn't have a Decision Card? Oh, I see, he goes by instinct. Or by whim. Or by Ouiji Board. Or by guidance from above. Hmmmmm

I thought Wally looked good in his sun glasses. :thup: Facing the sun.

Nice of us to allow the opponents to have the sun to their backs, and in our faces, at Empire Field. I guess that is not on a Decision Card either.
Spud387
Champion

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Spud387 wrote: So the Lions felt they would rather have the strong wind behind them in the 4th
LMAO, just in case they needed to attempt a long field goal? Rather than say, go for it on 3rd and 10....with 2:33 left and a timeout.

You mean for that reason?
Hey, Not once did I say i agreed with the decision, I am just saying why it was made.