Wholesale Shipwreck

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:Someone posed the question about who we might get. Right now, the one that looks best in my eyes would be Matt Dunnigan. He knows this game and is offensively minded. I might also consider dumping Benevides if you could get Ritchie back for the balance of the year or even ask him to be head coach for that period of time. He might do it for that long which might provide the change we need while giving us some time to plan for bigger changes.
Oh please, Dunigan??? ***Personal insult removed*** He is 7 years removed from any type of coaching. His sniff that he did in Calgary was like a drowning man grabbing for anything. There is a reason why he didn't get any other offers when Calgary fired him.

As for Ritchie, he is coaching in Italy now. I loved big papa, but can we not find some new blood? Hey, why not give Paul Arslanian a call? LOL
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
CFLFanfromVancouver
prospect

I cant wait to move into the new BC Place, Empire is nice and all, but I miss BC Place(OUR REAL HOME)
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Someone posed the question about who we might get. Right now, the one that looks best in my eyes would be Matt Dunnigan. He knows this game and is offensively minded. I might also consider dumping Benevides if you could get Ritchie back for the balance of the year or even ask him to be head coach for that period of time. He might do it for that long which might provide the change we need while giving us some time to plan for bigger changes.
Oh please, Dunigan??? ***Personal insult removed*** He is 7 years removed from any type of coaching. His sniff that he did in Calgary was like a drowning man grabbing for anything. There is a reason why he didn't get any other offers when Calgary fired him.

As for Ritchie, he is coaching in Italy now. I loved big papa, but can we not find some new blood? Hey, why not give Paul Arslanian a call? LOL
I don't know why there is this perception that Dunigan didn't do well in Calgary, given the circumstances that he was under, he did very well IMO. Remember that was the F-troop era with the owners son (combination of Joe Montana and Steve Young if you asked his dad) getting reps as a QB. Combine that with Dunigan's many caps and he did well and even brought in some legitimate talent that the Stamps still utilize today.

However Matt isn't on Wally's A list, more like his D list for Matt's arrogance. Lions do not need Ritchie, we do need to get younger as Wally's conservative ways are an indication of that. That said someone in between Wally and Jeff Reinebold could be the man. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
I don't know why there is this perception that Dunigan didn't do well in Calgary, given the circumstances that he was under, he did very well IMO. Remember that was the F-troop era with the owners son (combination of Joe Montana and Steve Young if you asked his dad) getting reps as a QB. Combine that with Dunigan's many caps and he did well and even brought in some legitimate talent that the Stamps still utilize today.
4-14 with the CFL's worst offence and the West's worst defence seems clear enough to me.
What I remember most about Coach Dunigan was the onside punt he tried, it worked, however the officials had no clue what they did and called it no yards. Dunigan went ballastic. Innovative yes, but it's one of those "one in every 10 years play" that rarely works.

Dunigan did have an eye for talent as you mentioned Rammer...Nik Lewis, John Grace and Joffrey Reynolds are 3 of his finds....not to mention discovering the leagues best name ever, Charles Assman.

I know it was a joke there with Team Fateri running the ship but that team was brutal under his leadership.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:I'd love to see some young blood in the coaching ranks as well. Assuming that a wealthy woman, like Oprah or JK Rowling, finally comes to her senses and decides to buy me the team as a wedding present, (hopefully before next week), I'd offer offer the interm job to Don Matthews. I know, I know....but it would get us to the end of the season. And it'd be fun to have an onside kick to start the first game at BC Place again.

I would really like to see DD as head coach. The guy is smart and we have faith in him.

I'd like to see Mike O'Shea as D-coach. He's five pounds of cunning in a two pound bag.

I'd let DD hire whatever O-coach he wanted. That guy Milonovich in Montreal seems to be on the ball, but, let's face it, anyone would look good with that team.

I haven't a clue about great o-line coaches. But I'd want someone who preaches mean, keeps it simple and curses like a mother****er. You know the guy from Full Metal Jacket? Him. That's our new line coach.

Special teams is easy. On principal, my team does not kick the ball more than once a game for points, and only in the fourth quarter. All kickoffs will be short kickoffs.

Carl Kidd will be hired as a motivational speaker and sideline judge of character. If he feels someone isn't focused, his job is to focus them.

Oh, and Skulsky is demoted to acting President. I'd replace him with a photo of Bob Ackles until Scott is willing to take over the job.

I seem to have descended into silliness. I trust I'll be held accountable, because, you know, that's how we roll here. But we need new blood. None of Wally's boys, no calm speaking 'you're a professional' types (other than DD) and no overtly religious coaches. I'm sick and tired of the current coaches causing the fans mutter 'Jebus... H... Cheerist...." so often.

Cheers,

James
I think Nelson Skalbania should buy the club for a second go around. Replace Cash for Life with Joe Kapp and Larry Kuharich. Guarantee there will be no country club with Kuharich as Head Coach.

Bring back Jeff Reinbold, who will implement a bonus for any player knocking an opposition quarterback out of the game.

Replace Roy Shivers with Christy Buono. She'll be able to find us the impact rush end the Lions are lacking.
Area51
All Star

Rammer wrote:
Lions do not need Ritchie, we do need to get younger as Wally's conservative ways are an indication of that.

Say what you want about Coach Ritchie being older than dirt, but you could never accuse him of being conservative. That's why the defence was so successful with him as the DC. His defence was always in attack mode. And that's the ideal style - - defensive players thrive on agression. Unfortunately, that ran contrary to the Cash For Life ultra conservative defensive scheme and would occassionally result in a sideline conflict.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Do you know what this team needs that it doesn't seem to have? At least not that this humble know-nothing fan has seen, anyway. They need the fire of a Carl Kidd and a Barrin Simpson. I haven't noticed a motivator-not a coach, but a player who can get them motivated and fired up. They need to maybe have the players only meetings that they used to have. The players coalition needs to be dissolved, and for there to be cohesion and unity, not division and blame. That may not solve all of their woes, but it might be a good start.
Real women wear orange!!
joe kapp22
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:Do you know what this team needs that it doesn't seem to have? At least not that this humble know-nothing fan has seen, anyway. They need the fire of a Carl Kidd and a Barrin Simpson. I haven't noticed a motivator-not a coach, but a player who can get them motivated and fired up. They need to maybe have the players only meetings that they used to have. The players coalition needs to be dissolved, and for there to be cohesion and unity, not division and blame. That may not solve all of their woes, but it might be a good start.
Too many guys play like they do not know where they are supposed to be on Defence, and each of the last 4 weeks, the opponent comes out and basically snags a 2 TD lead in the first Qtr, ie, they know what is coming on Defence.

Until that changes, we just are not going to win very often, all of the speeches in the world won't make up for that basic lack of preparation.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Rammer wrote:
4-14 with the CFL's worst offence and the West's worst defence seems clear enough to me.
What I remember most about Coach Dunigan was the onside punt he tried, it worked, however the officials had no clue what they did and called it no yards. Dunigan went ballastic. Innovative yes, but it's one of those "one in every 10 years play" that rarely works.

Dunigan did have an eye for talent as you mentioned Rammer...Nik Lewis, John Grace and Joffrey Reynolds are 3 of his finds....not to mention discovering the leagues best name ever, Charles Assman.

I know it was a joke there with Team Fateri running the ship but that team was brutal under his leadership.
Can you tell me of a coach that wasn't brutal under that regime including the Buono. My choices stem from who I think might be available now. Hell, if we are talking fantasy picks for people who aren't available, why not choose Trestman? I wouldn't want Ritchie back for the long term, but who else might have a have decent chance of stepping in here mid stream and maybe making something happen? Purely an interim thing. There is absolutely no point in dreaming about those who are unavailable presently unless you are willing to write the remainder of the season off and then see what may be possible in the off season. That is an option of course. If we continue to steer the present course, it will eventually be forced upon us and the season will be lost.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Ritchie is coaching in Italy - HE'S NOT COMING BACK - interim or not.

And Dunigan, not Dunnigan ain't coming back either.

You want guys that are available??? 5 sets of coaching staffs from the UFL including Greg Mohns, umpteen dozen coaches from NCAA, a handful of CIS coaches, and maybe 1 or 2 guys from the NFL.

Lots of retreads from the CFL....Mike Kelly, Jim Daley, Rod Rust, John Jenkins.....all available for interim work. There are reasons why these guys don't have jobs though

Hell, why not give Doug Flutie a call if you want an ex QB
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Where is Larry Donovan? Seriously, coaching changes should occur at the end of the season so current assistants from other teams can be considered. I was hoping that major coaching changes would have happened at the end of last season but a strong second half of the season negated that. So I don't know now if I want the Lions to turn things around or continue to flounder so coaching changes are then inevitable. Long term I guess the latter is preferred.

I usually go to one or two games /year (I live in Victoria) but I didn't go last year and have no plans to attend this years disaster. In fact I won't be going to any games until there is a major culture change, i.e. a new HC, DC, OC. I'm done with Wally's World.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Ritchie is coaching in Italy - HE'S NOT COMING BACK - interim or not.

You want guys that are available??? 5 sets of coaching staffs from the UFL including Greg Mohns, umpteen dozen coaches from NCAA, a handful of CIS coaches, and maybe 1 or 2 guys from the NFL.

Lots of retreads from the CFL....Mike Kelly, Jim Daley, Rod Rust, John Jenkins.....all available for interim work. There are reasons why these guys don't have jobs though

Fair enough, it didn't invalidate them as the two who I thought most likely to have a positive effect your opinion of them or of a coaching change not withstanding. The bottom line is that this team doesn't have too much rope left to hang itself with. a couple more weeks like this and something will have to give or it will seriously start to show at the gate. If they do turn it around, then all is forgotten and you can be smug about it. If they don't, then we will see more pressure to do something while enduring the same mediocre football that we have been enduring for the last 2 seasons. Personally, I would rather a complete reversal or a complete disaster. Anything else that results in the status quo is unacceptable.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Ritchie is coaching in Italy - HE'S NOT COMING BACK - interim or not.

One guy who is under contract but could be available and is well connected with senior Lion personnel is Danny Barrett. He played for Buono and was of course Roy Shivers' main man in Regina. Earlier this year Barrett accepted a role as running backs coach with the University of Central Florida. If he was an OC he probably couldn't get permission to leave, but as a RB coach he probably could.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:

Fair enough, it didn't invalidate them as the two who I thought most likely to have a positive effect your opinion of them or of a coaching change not withstanding. The bottom line is that this team doesn't have too much rope left to hang itself with. a couple more weeks like this and something will have to give or it will seriously start to show at the gate. If they do turn it around, then all is forgotten and you can be smug about it. If they don't, then we will see more pressure to do something while enduring the same mediocre football that we have been enduring for the last 2 seasons. Personally, I would rather a complete reversal or a complete disaster. Anything else that results in the status quo is unacceptable.
:thup: :thup: