Lions add Jerome Dennis, release Hyland

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Jero ... story.html
The former Lion brings with him not only a lust for payback, and a zest for the game as a special teams demon and extra defensive back, but he possesses inside intelligence on Ticat schemes and players.

“I know the [Hamilton] defence inside out. I pretty much know the offensive scheme,” Dennis said. “I’ll leak all of that to my new team. I’ll let everybody know anything we need to do to win. I’ll sit down with the players and coaches and share my knowledge. Individually, I’ve already gone to Geroy [Simon] and told him how he can beat his man.”

He’s already handed over his secret Ticat decoder ring and polyalphabetic encryption machine to analysts at the Lions Surrey headquarters. But head coach Wally Buono seems curiously unmoved by this unexpected windfall of intelligence dropped in his lap two days before Friday’s game.

“Hamilton’s going to play a tight man coverage. They’re going to blitz sometimes, and drop off at other times,” Buono explained. “Tell me something I don’t know. I don’t need Jerome to tell me that.”
It's reassuring that Wally knows all that is needed to know about the Hamilton offence and defence, and that he does not need to utilize the inside knowledge that can be provided by Jerome Dennis. :wink:

Not even a little adjustment? Maybe a tendency here or there? Maybe how they disguise a blitz? Maybe what tendencies they see in the Lions' offence? Or the tendencies they see in the Lions' defence? Ah well, an opportunity missed ...
Blitz
Team Captain

I thought that Hyland could have been a great safety...he sure looked good there last year.

Maybe one of the Council of Players wives was overheard saying they thought he was cute. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I thought that Hyland could have been a great safety...he sure looked good there last year.

Maybe one of the Council of Players wives was overheard saying they thought he was cute. :wink:
Hyland may well have been fine at safety. But the brain trust of the Lions, Benevides and Buono, decided to go with a guy with the injury record of Sami Salo. That would be J.R. LaRose. And back him up with a guy who has never played safety, Jason Arakgi. And back him up with another guy who has never played safety, Davis Sanchez (Actually I suspect they never thought that far ahead, and only put Sanchez in there as a desperation move).

I guess Cauchy Muamba has not earned the opportunity to play safety by being around long enough. :wink: He did play safety in college, but that was not enough to put him ahead of Jason Arakgi.

And I guess we don't trust the Canadian kids, Muamba and Hamid Mahmoudi to play corner.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blitz wrote:I thought that Hyland could have been a great safety...he sure looked good there last year.

Hyland may well have been fine at safety. But the brain trust of the Lions, Benevides and Buono, decided to go with a guy with the injury record of Sami Salo. That would be J.R. LaRose. And back him up with a guy who has never played safety, Jason Arakgi. And back him up with another guy who has never played safety, Davis Sanchez (Actually I suspect they never thought that far ahead, and only put Sanchez in there as a desperation move).

I guess Cauchy Muamba has not earned the opportunity to play safety by being around long enough. :wink: He did play safety in college, but that was not enough to put him ahead of Jason Arakgi.

And I guess we don't trust the Canadian kids, Muamba and Hamid Mahmoudi to play corner.
Always excited to see the great thinking and long term planning of our Leos coaching staff!! :wink:

Even though Hyland missed some tackles at wideside half here is what Ullrich had to say about Hyland

But Hyland?

"Well, off his work at safety last season there's little doubt he had a future with the Lions. But when the decision was made in the off-season to make safety a non-import spot, Hyland's stock began to shrink."
Lowell Ullrich
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Game Day, Baby!
Rookie

Wally is calling Popp to see what it will take to get Crawfords back.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Game Day, Baby! wrote:Wally is calling Popp to see what it will take to get Crawfords back.
would that be larry and derrick?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

David Hyland has been signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's such a small league that players with experience often get a second or third chance. I wish Hyland well. I hope he can find a role in Hamilton that suits him.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:David Hyland has been signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Now that is a strange destination for a ex-Lion player. Best of luck to Hyland, but of course not against the good guys.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Spud387
Champion

Glad to see Hyland caught on with another CFL team. I wish him luck
Anglophone
All Star

$10 he makes it there and has a long, succesful career.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:David Hyland has been signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Now that is a strange destination for a ex-Lion player. Best of luck to Hyland, but of course not against the good guys.
I suspect that he will come back and show to be a very good football player - just like many other ex-Lions on the Ticats.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy