Wally looking at Kerry Joseph

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

Jim_Mullin Jim Mullin by BCLionsDen
BC Lions open discussions with QB Kerry Joseph if plans don't work out with FA Jarious Jackson
Interesting, I'd thought Joseph had priced himself out of the league?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
donefron
Starter

Things that make you go HMMM! Sounds interesting in theory as I've enjoyed his athleticism but am wary that he may not work well as a backup or within the system, he was great in Sask as the main show but a disaster in TO. I wonder if he would turn into CP2 because he seems to carry some of the same attititude of nothing ever being his fault when things dont go well, hard to blame him because it wa TO under Rita & we all know how smooth that can be. Just a thought but it would be exciting as a reclaimation project if it went well so I am torn :bang:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

April Fool's Day is here early this year, it seems.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stefan LeFors. Kerry Joseph. These considerations seem a bit desperate. They also seem like "draining the swamp too late when you are up to your butt in alligators."

I can't help but think that Jarious Jackson was there for the taking for Wally and the Lions. Fiscal management might have played too big a role for Wally. He might have misplayed his hand a bit. Lowballed his offer too much. Didn't consider that Jarious would shop around. Didn't consider that there might be interest in Jarious around the league. Didn't perhaps appreciate enough what Jarious brings to a team.

If your starter gets hurt, who around the league would you rather have coming in off the bench than Jarious? Still worth at least $150,000 IMO if not $175,000. With incentives.

Just IMO ...
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Sports ... ID=1368982

Personally, I think this is more of a ploy to get Jarious to return with the other deals moving slower than expected.

Joseph could be a solid number two guy here. He was in the middle of a gong show in Toronto, and is a good team guy. Knows the game, his own strengths and limitations. He's a personal trainer and is in great shape by all accounts. If DA can throw footballs as a starter in this league at the age of 104, Joseph can capably back up at the age of 37.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sounds like a desperate move to me to acquire an experienced backup. I'm sure Ricky Fogge is available.
joe kapp22
Legend

Jim Mullin wrote:http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Sports ... ID=1368982

Personally, I think this is more of a ploy to get Jarious to return with the other deals moving slower than expected.

Joseph could be a solid number two guy here. He was in the middle of a gong show in Toronto, and is a good team guy. Knows the game, his own strengths and limitations. He's a personal trainer and is in great shape by all accounts. If DA can throw footballs as a starter in this league at the age of 104, Joseph can capably back up at the age of 37.
And he has been a winner in the CFL so he knows what it takes to get it done if called on.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Can't believe he would turn down all that Future Shop jack for 3rd string on the Lions.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

well, for whatever its worth, KJ has done more in this league than Printers has and I would rather have KJ anyday. If he can still play that is. I doubt he would be third string unless the lions retain JJ
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rodu
Champion

Isn't he pretty long in the tooth?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I read that as Kerry Joseph approaching the Lions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I read that as Kerry Joseph approaching the Lions.
Agreed. Nothing more than an out-of-work quarterback looking for a place to restart his career.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

While I don't particularly care much for the prospect of Joseph entering the mix I do appreciate the desire to have an experienced CFL QB in the #2 spot, especially in a GC host season. Given their druthers most organizations like to have their #1 and #2 spots manned with an experienced vet and a younger QB with some playing experience under his belt. Whether the experienced vet is the starter or backup depends on the situation. However if you have a relatively new starter such as Lulay you do prefer to have a veteran to fall back on as opposed to a raw recruit. The #3 slot is always a development position. Trouble is in the CFL right now there aren't a whole lot of QBs available with significant CFL experience. Outside of Jarious you're pretty much looking at the likes of Maas, Joseph and Bishop. If they can't secure Jackson then Joseph might be the best option.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.