Lions and Whitecaps flip coin

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/l ... le1884193/

It seems to me to be an insult of sorts to the Lions that they have to flip a coin with the Whitecaps to see who gets the first event at the refurbished B.C. Place. The Whitecaps got the first game at the original B.C. Place and haven't played there since the 1980s while the Lions have been faithful tenants since the beginning. IMO, it should be a no-brainer that the Lions get to host the first event. I sure hope that they won the coin flip. :cr:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's more than an insult. It's insane. The Lions have faithfully played every season at B.C. Place since it opened except for their temporary eviction during this renovation. The Whitecaps haven't been near the place in a quarter century except for the odd friendly. The Lions deserve to get the extra revenue from the curious casual fans who want to check out the new surroundings for the first time when it opens.
zark
Champion

I don't think it's as big a deal as your making it out to be. First Lions game, no one will care. This is a good headline for a cheap tabloid. Is Ravi a reporter for the Toronto Sun? :roar:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
piltdownman
prospect

This idea is beyond stupid. Doesn't when BC Place is finished have everything to do with this. If BC place isn't completed until Nov 1 (Date of substantial completion), that is after the MLS's last game of the season (Oct 23rd). So if the Whitecaps win the toss and don't make the playoffs, but yet the Lions come in first in the West would they not be able to play their final regular season match and the Western Final in BC Place? Or if things run late and the Lions win the toss and BC Place is not ready until after the Lions season are over does that mean the Whitecaps have to play at Empire all spring until the Lions play their first game in June?
David
Team Captain

I agree with everyone above. It's a complete insult to the Lions organization who've been good tenants at BC Place every year since 1983. Were the situation reversed, their fan base would be screaming blue (is the colour) bloody murder.

Unless....

There really was no coin toss (or the Lions called a two-headed coin). Perhaps everyone, including Lenarduzzi, recognize that it's only fair to give the Lions the first big gate. Maybe they're saying all this publicly so everything appears as though the two organizations are on equal footing (which they will be from here on in). I would not be surprised if it's announced that the Lions "won" the coin toss. The optics are a lot better for the fledgling Whitecaps that they're not 2nd class citizens in PavCo's eyes.

I hope this is the case. If the Lions don't host the first event after the reno in complete, I am going to be mightily pissed. :bang:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
kacbru
prospect

How about the insult being that season ticket holders only get updates on the construction progress from the globe and mail and not from Lions ticket reps? There was a mighty rush to get us to commit to season tickets, all marketed on the return to BC place (and rise in ticket prices) and oops, unless you buy Grey Cup tickets, not until next year.
ziggy
Legend

Unless both teams are scheduled to play on the same day,I don't see a problem? It's two different crowds for the most part, so it really doesn't matter because White Cap and Lions fans are both going to want to attend their respective teams first games there. It would be foolish to deny one team a chance to play because they lost a coin toss. I'd suggest it makes more sense to allow whoever is playing first, once the Stadium is finished, to host their next game there. All this coin toss crap does nothing but pit the fans of the two sports against each other, for no good reason.
LFITQ
Team Captain

And then there is Mr. and Mrs. I don't really go to games but I am curious to check out the new digs so I'll buy a ticket to the first game in the stadium regardless of who plays. One team or another is going to lose that revenue.

And of course there are those people in Vancouver who like to go to spectacles or events, so the first game in the new stadium regardless of team will draw those people out too.

And then there will be those that will go to whichever game is the cheapest just to see the new place.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
zark
Champion

What's the insult? It's the same stadium. Different roof... What! your going to stare at the roof during the game? What a goofy thread.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx