McCallum: I've been asked to step aside

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

It appears that the B.C. Lions are preparing for a change in kickers for the 2011 season.

In an interview with the TEAM 1040 in Vancouver, veteran Lion Paul McCallum said that he has been asked to "step aside" by the team, in favour of 25-year-old Sean Whyte for next season.

"I'm not done playing yet," McCallum told the TEAM 1040 during the interview on Saturday. "I have to wait and see what Wally is going to do. I've said to Wally that I want to keep playing so he's got some decisions to make, whether he wants me to stick around or he's going to cut me or trade me."
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=349644

*Sigh* we all knew this could happen even with Money coming off of a great season, Wally is rolling the dice on this move.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Anglophone
All Star

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It is a tough call for Wally.

IMO there is no way that Whyte is in McCallum's class. McCallum is a money, clutch Hall of Fame bound kicker. Whyte is good, but McCallum has to be one of the best ever.

Whyte could be good enough to play for a Grey Cup winning team, however. And that could be the Lions.

McCallum has to be getting fairly close to not having the necessary leg strength anymore. His directional punting is still phenomenal. His short range FG kicking is phenomenal.

Salary will play a part too.

IMO, it will most likely be Bye Bye, Paul. Unless he is priced out of the market along with his advancing age (for a new team). Then he will have to a part time guy with the Lions, while building his RE career.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's nothing new here. Wally said in November that Whyte will be the Lions' kicker this year and McCallum said then that he wasn't happy about it.

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=19160

McCallum will likely be cut or traded by Feb. 15, when his roster bonus is due.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Cheers Paul, thanks for the years of service. :beauty:

But we have to see if the not-so-young kid will sink or swim.
zark
Champion

Is this a good year to be rebuilding? The Grey Cup is here this year. Why cant we experiment next year when Toronto has the Grey cup. I'm certainly not going there.
I don't think I like this.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
joe kapp22
Legend

zark wrote:Is this a good year to be rebuilding? The Grey Cup is here this year. Why cant we experiment next year when Toronto has the Grey cup. I'm certainly not going there.
Kind of agree, this seems like change for change's sakes, if Wally B is saving some coin due to his salary then signs someone with the freed up monies, then I can understand it a bit..but still don't like this move.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
hutch
Champion

I don't see it as that bad of an idea.....Whyte has been waiting patiently for some time now. I'm not sure of his contract status but what if BC loses him this year due to Paul staying for another year? Only to have Paul retire next year leaving BC without either of them. I believe this is the right call by Buono, it's about the future of the team and that would be Whyte, not Paul.
Oh and I don't see this one move as a sign of rebuilding, maybe if Whyte had no playing time I could agree but he should be fine.
swervynmerv
Legend

Paul has been great for us and he helped us win the 2006 Grey Cup. I too hate to see him go, but it may be time to go. I trust that Wally knows what he is doing when we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. I am hoping that he is planning to use the money that we save on Paul to go after a free agent reciever especially since we may lose Arceneaux. If we can acore more points in the red zone next year, we may not have to rely on our kicker so much anyways!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:Is this a good year to be rebuilding? The Grey Cup is here this year. Why cant we experiment next year when Toronto has the Grey cup. I'm certainly not going there.
You're expecting a cup this year? Really?

I like Paul as much as the next fan, but I think we're seeing Wally's "better a year too early..." adage at work here.
zark
Champion

You're expecting a cup this year? Really?
You make that sound like a bad thing. I'm a Lions fan. Why wouldn't I expect a cup this year??
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Hawkballer 14
Champion

cromartie wrote:You're expecting a cup this year? Really?
I sure am.

I look at the 7-3 record over the final ten games of the 2010 season, I see a lot of potential. Travis Lulay getting a full off-season of reps as the #1, stability on the OL, a defense led by Sol-E putting in work. There is no consensus favorite, all nine teams will have their question marks headed into 2011.

What are you expecting?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Having McCallum has been great, IMO. He's done all the things needed. I also see the need to let a future kicker get his shot. I look forward to seeing Whyte get out there and make some mistakes(because mistakes are part of the process). I think there will be a place for McCallum to get a chance to fill in somewhere. There are often injuries and other issues that open up spots throughout the course of a CFL season.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

It's always tough to see good players move on while they still performing well. But given his age, and salary, keeping PM could be a bigger gamble than cutting him. Wally knows what he can expect from Whyte. PM could be a bit of a wild card at this point of his career. Too often CFL teams struggle at the PK position when the veteran incumbent finally gets too old to do the job and there is no understudy waiting in the wings (see the BC Lions when Lui finally retired). The Lions have the opportunity to make as close to a seamless transition at PK as it ever gets. It won't be popular with fans, but giving the job to Whyte in 2011 is likely the best thing to do for the long term interests of the BC Lions.